Seiyashi

2021 "Kozumo" Hatsu Basho discussion thread

Recommended Posts

I don't get all that praise for Midorifuji. All I see is a matta-henka and a blundering Akua.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I don't get all that praise for Midorifuji. All I see is a matta-henka and a blundering Akua.

Time will tell, I guess. I'm a fan. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I don't get all that praise for Midorifuji. All I see is a matta-henka and a blundering Akua.

He's been pretty spirited and has plenty of tricks up his mawashi. His last few Juryo basho, he's won in some creative ways and looked good in losses. Seems like Enho with a little more mass and straightforward technique. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this basho is weird as hell, and Shodai usually pops off under those circumstances ...

Edited by Tsuchinoninjin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Rocks said:

Nice win for Mitakeumi.  Looked like Takakeisho was going to push him out but he got around on him.

I was surprised that Mitakeumi staved off Takakeisho at the end.   Shodai got past his opponent with a bit of luck, too.  Both bouts could have easily gone the other way.  

It's hard to get interested in juryo matches with so many rikishi out.  I skipped watching it and saw about 1/2 of Makuuchi matches.   I am betting the basho won't finish due to COVID19.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of a trophy, a macaron, and a myriad of prizes, I vote that the winner of this tournament gets a blue ribbon and a pat on the back. (Yushowinner...)

But in seriousness, I'm rooting for Terunofuji. This is a good opportunity to make a push for his return to Ozeki, which I consider one of the best storylines in sumo presently.

And maybe an Ura juryo yusho... (Whistling...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mt fuji said:

He's been pretty spirited and has plenty of tricks up his mawashi. His last few Juryo basho, he's won in some creative ways and looked good in losses. Seems like Enho with a little more mass and straightforward technique. 

Ex-Aminishiki, in the opposite site announcer's booth today and Isegahama dai-sempai, who knows a thing or two about technique himself, just spent five minutes on air praising Midorifuji for his technical prowess. So it's possible that maybe, just maybe, he's more than a dodgy henka machine. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

So it's possible that maybe, just maybe, he's more than a dodgy henka machine. 

I know a few people who deem Aminishiki to have been one himself. B-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

No, Asanoyama's here to stay... He's no one timer... ;-)

Ha. Doh.

Speaking of doh, Takakeisho’s tsuna-run is looking like a tsuna-rest break at the moment. 0-2 start.

Cracking first two days for Daieisho though. Back-to-back Ozeki scalps. Goes for the hat-trick tomorrow.

Edited by Eikokurai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

Ex-Aminishiki, in the opposite site announcer's booth today and Isegahama dai-sempai, who knows a thing or two about technique himself, just spent five minutes on air praising Midorifuji for his technical prowess. So it's possible that maybe, just maybe, he's more than a dodgy henka machine. 

Very commanding win against Yutakayama too - something that Enho could not achieve. Midorifuji does look like what Enho could become, or even surpass, if he could just gain a little more weight. He wouldn't need to constantly reinvent himself and have some straightforward techniques to fall back on at least. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

I know a few people who deem Aminishiki to have been one himself. B-)

I suppose the two aren't mutually exclusive (Scratchingchin...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of commanding wins, Ura had another straightforward win against Oho - it does seem that his worries before the basho seem unfounded, for now. Even though he is rather old for a rikishi, it looks like Shimanoumi is having a second lease of life, with fantastic defence against Kotoeko. Takarafuji's defence today was also absolutely airtight - preventing Mitakeumi from establishing any sort of hold. Tobizaru's dohyo agilty and dexterity today was also excellent. One also has to especially commend Onosho and Daieisho today. The latter showed absolutely zero mercy for his dear friend's tsuna run, and is definitely my pick (along with Onosho) for this Hatsu yusho. 

One thing that is becoming increasingly apparent to me is the rapidly rising standard of the joi and lower sanyaku - it does not seem like they need Hakuho to stop Takakeisho's tsuna run. To me, it's going to take a miracle for the Ozeki to win 13 straight (though it is certainly doable). I suspect the extra 14kg he got before Hatsu might be to blame. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a treat having both Araiso and ex-Aminishiki as today's commentators. 

Both made some astute observations. 

When asked who fans should pay attention to for their signature technique, Aminishiki offered up Midorifuji's Kata-sukashi. Midorifuji obliged soon after with a win using that very technique.

And when asked who he thought were the rikishi poised to make leaps this year, Araiso offered up Kotoshoho and, surprisingly, Onosho. Onosho likewise obliged with an impressive win over Terunofuji. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Speaking of commanding wins, Ura had another straightforward win against Oho - it does seem that his worries before the basho seem unfounded, for now. Even though he is rather old for a rikishi, it looks like Shimanoumi is having a second lease of life, with fantastic defence against Kotoeko. Takarafuji's defence today was also absolutely airtight - preventing Mitakeumi from establishing any sort of hold. Tobizaru's dohyo agilty and dexterity today was also excellent. One also has to especially commend Onosho and Daieisho today. The latter showed absolutely zero mercy for his dear friend's tsuna run, and is definitely my pick (along with Onosho) for this Hatsu yusho. 

One thing that is becoming increasingly apparent to me is the rapidly rising standard of the joi and lower sanyaku - it does not seem like they need Hakuho to stop Takakeisho's tsuna run. To me, it's going to take a miracle for the Ozeki to win 13 straight (though it is certainly doable). I suspect the extra 14kg he got before Hatsu might be to blame. 

On the broadcast, they mentioned that six previous Ozeki completed successful tsunatori runs after a Day 1 loss. None did so after two consecutive losses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

On the broadcast, they mentioned that six previous Ozeki completed successful tsunatori runs after a Day 1 loss. None did so after two consecutive losses. 

He'll face Hokutofuji tomorrow, whom I feel is attacking in a very spirited but reckless manner this basho. Until Takakeisho gets a third loss (ala Asanoyama) or invalidates his own tsuna run (ala Goeido), I'm not going to call his yusho run dead yet - but I think it's definitely on life support. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

And when asked who he thought were the rikishi poised to make leaps this year, Araiso offered up Kotoshoho and, surprisingly, Onosho. Onosho likewise obliged with an impressive win over Terunofuji. 

Yeah, but Kotoshoho didn't come through in his bout and is now 0:2.  Kotoshoho's disposition is super chill, so hopefully he can turn things around going forward in this tournament...

As for Onosho's victory, it was truly "impressive", as you say.  By getting inside with both arms up under Teru's armpits, Onosho managed to render the Ozeki-return-hopeful powerless, unable to get a grip on his opponent's mawashi.

Before this tournament started, I was convinced that only Hakuho could prevent Takakeisho from a consecutive championship win.  But even though Hakuho had to withdraw, Takakeisho seems to be struggling.  Daieisho showed no trepidation, and handled Takakeisho like an equal.  Takakeisho does not seem to have the power and drive that he had back in November and his confidence seems to be eroding.  With two straight early losses, hopes of Yokozuna promotion have all but slipped away.  

But let's give credit where credit is due.  The next-gen Top Division stars are doing their homework, and figuring out effective strategies against the guys at the top.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

I'm not going to call his yusho run dead yet - but I think it's definitely on life support. 

You are very optimistic ;-)

 Me, I'm a pessimist. The run is officially over! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pricklypomegranate said:

To me, it's going to take a miracle for the Ozeki to win 13 straight (though it is certainly doable). I suspect the extra 14kg he got before Hatsu might be to blame. 

I really don't think the extra weight is the problem here. 
He didn't gain those 14kg before Hatsu (they didn't weigh the rikishi before this basho), he gained them before September if I recall correctly. 
He had a 12-3 JY in September, a 13-2 Yusho in November so I don't think his weight is the factor making him lose right now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pricklypomegranate said:

I'm not going to call his yusho run dead yet - but I think it's definitely on life support. 

He’s still to face the other two Ozeki, and both Sekiwake and one Komusubi, among whom happen to be two former Ozeki, so I don’t see him remaining undefeated for the next 13 days.

Conspiracy theory time (hey, it’s the season for them): Takakeisho wants out because of covid, so is throwing his bouts to give himself a kyujo excuse.:-O :-/

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm tipping Akiseyama as this basho's bottom of the banzuke yusho smoky. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they're going to take down the videos from YT so we can't follow the action, I hope they just cancel the basho. At least then we won't be missing anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hakuryuho said:

I really don't think the extra weight is the problem here. 
He didn't gain those 14kg before Hatsu (they didn't weigh the rikishi before this basho), he gained them before September if I recall correctly. 
He had a 12-3 JY in September, a 13-2 Yusho in November so I don't think his weight is the factor making him lose right now. 

Carrying all that extra weight might have finally taken it's toll - but I suspect the gravity of the situation might be getting the normally cool-as-a-cucumber Ozeki dizzy from the height. I don't see him winning this yusho - my picks are still Daieisho (or Onosho). I'm not gonna call Takakeisho's tsuna run dead just yet - but the moment he goes 12-3 it's gonna be QED, tsuna run failed, in my opinion. 

By the way, according to this news article, Terunofuji's tooth was displaced when Onosho's head hit him in the face. Quite shocked he didn't think to wear teeth guards. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Takakeisho hiding an injury or something? He can't seem to generate his usual forward - going power. In last basho's playoff he dispensed Terunofuji in three(!) pushes. Now he's just flailing without much effect. Could be some mental pressure too but something doesn't seem to be there physically as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His arms are so short, it's difficult to maintain a proper 2m distance while striking. It's a conundrum. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

His arms are so short, it's difficult to maintain a proper 2m distance while striking. It's a conundrum. 

Where's Akebono when you need him? ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now