Seiyashi

2021 "Kozumo" Hatsu Basho discussion thread

19 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

At this rate, Takakeisho may go kyujo after he reaches MK.   The kid isn't himself.  Someone else is in his body.

Even I half expect Takakeisho to withdraw.  Unfortunately, you can't withdraw without a specific medical reason.  "Not being oneself" doesn't count.  

It will be interesting if Takakeisho does end up withdrawing, what medical excuse will be used as an excuse...

2 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

what medical excuse will be used as an excuse...

hurt big toe (Punkrocker...)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

He was lucky to win.  I see 13-2 and yusho, sansho for Daieisho.   I hope I didn't jinx him just now.

Daieisho executed a beautiful throw, which is very unlike an oshi-focused rikishi. However, I felt his win wasn't as convincing as the last 7 days - props has to be given to Kagayaki for putting up a better resistance than the Ozekis by forcing Daieisho on the tawara. His focus or strength seemed to dwindle slightly but I am still holding out hope that he goes for the zensho. I can never fathom how the sumodb query system works, but has there ever been a maegashira who scored a zensho? It'll be great if someone could answer my query. Congratulations Daieisho - a nakabi KK is very very impressive. 

What a way for Takakeisho to fall from being on a tsuna run to trying to avoid kadoban. An ill-timed and executed parry and sidestep made sure he careened right off the tawara and was easily shoved by Tamawashi. I understand that Daieisho and Takakeisho have very different bodies, but Daieisho's performance today does show that a decent belt game can save one from unnecessary defeat. Takakeisho's almost exclusive reliance on a very volatile brand of sumo heavily dependent on one's health and sense of timing at THAT weight, height and body condition was almost certainly a recipe for disaster this basho. I remember recalling Hakuho commending Daieisho and Hokutofuji's skills during a jungyo tour, but I don't ever recall him commending Takakeisho for his skills specifically. I wonder if he has contempt for oshi-zumo. Of course, he's not the sole decider on who has good technique or otherwise, but he's got to have some eye for it. The fact that Takakeisho's gotten this far only testament to how strong his body and mental strength can be, but only at his best. 

To put a positive spin on it, the one thing that hits me is how multi-faceted and surprising sumo can be. The pandemic really adds a new dimension. I went into Hatsu thinking the main stories would be the tsuna run and kadoban escapes, regardless of whether the Yokozunas were there. However, instead of deriving joy from Ozeki wins, now the joy comes from newcomers, returnees doing well and seeing Ozekis drop like flies. If Daieisho does run off into the sunset with a 15-0, it'll probably be one of the most surprising basho I've seen just yet, even considering Tokushoryu's yusho. 

But yes, the Ozekis are really not hot this basho. 

Credit to Mitakeumi for scalping all 3 Ozeki. But unfortunately, he only scalped all 3 Ozeki. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hoshoryu with his 3rd win in a row today after starting the basho 0-5. 
Absolutely thrilled for him, he still has a  good shot at a kachi-koshi.

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Those are just the 15-0 zensho yusho.

There were also a few before the 15 day tournaments began.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=M&form1_losses=0&form1_y=on

1 minute ago, Naganoyama said:

Those are just the 15-0 zensho yusho.

There were also a few before the 15 day tournaments began.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=M&form1_losses=0&form1_y=on

I basically never include the non-15 day basho in my searches for better comparative data. I'm a "modern era" man through and through.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gernobono said:
2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

what medical excuse will be used as an excuse...

hurt big toe (Punkrocker...)

I was thinking bruised ego...

Akua is not going to want to take too many hard bumps like the one he took today against Myogiriyu. Landing flush on one's head like that can't be good for the old spinal column.

Onosho again with a wicked tachiai against Takarafuji. If you can move THAT guy back like THAT, you're definitely onto something.

Daisho nothing short of elegant on the bales, pulling one out of the fire with a last minute arm bar throw against Kagayaki. That was some of the best sumo of the tournament so far, IMO. His technique was damn close to perfect throughout the bout, despite Kagayaki moving him to the edge. Remember, Kagayaki is a big dude, and no slouch.

Surpised also that Takakeisho is toughing it out. I admire him for taking his thrashing like a champ. Seems like a long time since we've seen an Ozeki or Yokozuna rack up a losing record like this. Pride usually intervenes to request a medical chit. Kudos to him for fighting on with his possible tsuna run a smoldering dumpster fire.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I was thinking bruised ego...

Sore arse from all the arse kicking he's had this week.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Ex-Kotoshogiku Hidenoyama oyakata is today's guest in the NHK announcer booth. 

As Kaninoyama stated Hidenoyama was the commentator in the booth and Izutsu (Toyonoshima) as the off-site commentator.

The Japanese broadcast showed a replay of a playoff between the two (in jonidan?), that Toyonoshima won.

I hadn't seen this one before, neither had a cho-mage and both were still (fairly) slim :-} 

Tomorrow will feature my much awaited match between two of the blubbery (est?) mammals in sumo, Akiseyama and Aoiyama.

I am hopeful of a long (and relatively active) match with lots of slo-mo replays :-} 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, since_94 said:

Daisho nothing short of elegant on the bales, pulling one out of the fire with a last minute arm bar throw against Kagayaki. That was some of the best sumo of the tournament so far, IMO.

Couldn't agree more. Daieisho's win was thrilling; a great counter throw to a lively looking Kagayaki while backed up on the tawara, great stuff.

Enigmitakeumi killing Ozeki, but absolutely failing in all his other bouts. Does he do that on purpose?

1 hour ago, since_94 said:

Seems like a long time since we've seen an Ozeki or Yokozuna rack up a losing record like this.

Anyone remember Chiyotaikai's 2-13? I hope Takakeisho doesn't emulate that. 

We've reached nakabi (the halfway point in the tournament), and all the talk has been about the shocking change in fortunes in the Top Division (especially those of Takakeisho).  Many are already talking about a hiramaku zenshoyusho (perfect record championship by a rank-and-filer).  Daieisho's eight-straight-win start is definitely inspiring that kind of prediction.  But, there are still seven days to go.  Will we be treated to another change in fortunes?  The two-win cushion currently enjoyed by Daieisho makes me dubious.  But I wonder what the stats have to say about that...

Edited by Amamaniac

1 hour ago, Karasukurai said:

Couldn't agree more. Daieisho's win was thrilling; a great counter throw to a lively looking Kagayaki while backed up on the tawara, great stuff.

He was totally in control throughout. So poised. Textbook worthy sumo.

On an unrelated note, how about that Tsurugisho down in Juryo? Looking very, very solid, albeit against an admittedly weakened field.

Certainly an interesting basho. The Oshi guys are either on or off exposing the fine line in that style, one missed thrust by Aiyama loss.., Hoktofuji off, Diaesho ON, the new surprise consistent  Sekiwake Takanosho ON.  Im surprised ONOSHO still has his head after Tamawashi tried to take it off the other day both still ON. Takakeisho looks uncomfortable in that body, not showing the youthful sumo he promised. He should get on the bike, loose 10Kg, regain some quickness. Its like he never recovered from that beating he got by Hakahou in the practice. 

The youngsters in Makushita (which I define as those less than 20.5 years old at least Ms15, less than 20 years old at least Ms30, less than 19.5 at least Ms45, and less than 19 at least Ms60, looking only at the month and assuming they hit their (half) birthdays after the basho) are all doing reasonably well.  Note how far above that age curve that Yoshii and Otsuji are.

Kitanowaka: Born November 2000, ranked Ms11 - 3-1

Yoshii: Born August 2003, ranked Ms26 - 2-2

Tochikamiyama: Born January 2001, ranked Ms20 - 2-2

Anzai: Born August 2002, ranked Ms45 - 3-1

Mudoho: Born September 2001, ranked Ms43 - 2-2

Otsuji: Born October 2003, ranked Ms59 - 3-1

There's also Hokuseiho, Born November 2001, ranked Ms15, not participating due to Covid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, since_94 said:

Surpised also that Takakeisho is toughing it out. I admire him for taking his thrashing like a champ. Seems like a long time since we've seen an Ozeki or Yokozuna rack up a losing record like this. Pride usually intervenes to request a medical chit. Kudos to him for fighting on with his possible tsuna run a smoldering dumpster fire.

Terunofuji comes to mind... he had a terrible year with big makekoshi followed by 8-7’s...

The Daieisho v Kagayaki match may not have been a typical Daieiesho win, but it was a typical Kagayaki loss: thrusting his opponent back to the edge and then being utterly flummoxed by lateral movement. If Kagayaki could move sideways he would be Tamawashi, but he can't so he isn't.

...and speaking of the jewelled eagle... Tamawashi took the day off against Takarafuji on Saturday, but today he decided to have some fun and when Tamawashi is up for it anyone whose name isn't Hakuho should be very afraid. There may be those who will tell me that he's a genuinely sweet guy who does lots of charity work and befriends homeless kittens, but I think he's a legitimate hardman and a more than a bit of a bully. So there was really no excuse needed for Takakeisho, Tam just decided to go for it and kicked his arse.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

There may be those who will tell me that he's a genuinely sweet guy who does lots of charity work and befriends homeless kittens

I've no idea he does those. All I know is he bakes cookies!

But yeah, he's indeed a formidable ironman.

• Like 1

Former Kotoshogiku (and current Hidenoyama):

tOxFrrY.jpg

And long ago:

vpyid0O.jpg

Today Takakeisho tried very hard to surpass Kotoyuki's score for the Bento Award but fell just slightly short.

mSvR0NV.jpg

"Sorry bro."

"It's alright bro."

XDovRAe.jpg

Pic of Tamawashi being interviewed, because why not?

vSAMZjL.jpg

• Like 3

According to the article linked below, Shikimori Inosuke suffered a cerebral infarction shortly after the death of Shobushi in May last year, and at first had difficulty walking. That explains why he was absent from the July basho, and likely why he wasn't taking part in ceremonials like kaobure gonjo at times as well. The absence of Yokozuna since then is also a good thing as it means he hasn't had to take part in dohyo-iri, which involves lengthy sonkyo for the gyoji.

https://www.minpo.jp/news/moredetail/2020123082284

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

It will be interesting if Takakeisho does end up withdrawing, what medical excuse will be used as an excuse

Are we really so sure it's just an excuse? He doesnt look right for some reason.

2 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

There may be those who will tell me that he's a genuinely sweet guy who does lots of charity work and befriends homeless kittens, but I think he's a legitimate hardman and a more than a bit of a bully.

Anyone familiar with the Tachiai jungyo posts know how much Tamawashi, Terutsuyoshi and Abi torment Enho so. I have yet to experience jungyo in real time and here's hoping there will be one at least late 2021...