Seiyashi

2021 "Kozumo" Hatsu Basho discussion thread

Ozeki Watch for Day 8

Day 7 was only the second time this tournament that all three Ozeki won their scheduled bouts.  While some may question the quality of sumo on display, each wrestler did what they needed to do to get vital white star wins.  Wins don't have to be pretty, but real sumo fans prefer technical brilliance.

Tomorrow, Takakeisho is up first against iron man, Tamawashi.  Unlike Tochinoshin from today, Tamawashi is a pusher-thruster like Takakeisho.  They have different body types, which means that Takakeisho may have more mass behind his thrusts (& initial charge), but Tamawashi is definitely more mobile.  Takakeisho has a 9-5 (9-4 without the fusensho) edge in past meetings, and Tamawashi hasn't beaten Takakeisho in the last year.  This will be an oshizumo battle, and if Tamawashi can stay in it for more than say 5 seconds, he will have a chance to add to Takakeisho's woes.  The key will probably come down to the tachiai.  Based on today's performance, Takakeisho will go all out from the get go since his ability to generate power from a standing position is almost non-existent this tournament.  

Next up will be Asanoyama against technical wonder boy (?), Endo.  There should be a nice kensho purse on that match.  Both men have the same record in this tournament, i.e., 4-3.  If anything, that indicates that neither is fighting at the best of their ability.  This will be the first sanyaku opponent for Endo, so his current mediocre performance level will be tested.  Endo can rise to the occasion ... at times.  And actually, his previous record against Asanoyama is an impressive 7-4.  If Asanoyama has struggled with Endo's style of sumo in the past, he will probably struggle this time around.

And in the final bout of the day, Shodai takes on Mitakeumi.  That is an Ozeki with one championship under his mawashi going up against a junior-sanyaku-mainstay with two championships under his mawashi.  When Mitakeumi is good... he wins championships.  When he's not, he disappoints many a fan.  At only two wins and five losses, one wouldn't have to argue hard the fact that his sumo is off this tournament (his heart does not seem to be in it).  While Mitakeumi did provide some drama with his opening-day victory over Takakeisho, it soon became clear that the Ozeki was giving away white stars left, right, and centre this month.  Interestingly, however, Mitakeumi's two wins so far this tournament have come against Ozeki opponents.  Can he make a clean sweep?  Mitakeumi and Shodai's past record is actually quite even (10-9), and they have essentially been trading wins and losses.  This time around, however, Shodai looks like he will double up (i.e., win following his win in July 2020). 

What will Day 8 have in store for us?  Technical brilliance or several skin-of-your-teeth affairs.  Oh, the uncertainty!

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

He's not out of it yet!

I'd like to think so too.  But have you seen Daieisho? ;-) 

4 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

To state the bleeding obvious, I think we are down to two likely winners, Daeisho and Shodai, and one seriously live outsider, Ichinojo. Everyone else is just fighting for rank.

How nice is it to be able to describe Ichinojo as "live" for once? Whoever bought him that espresso machine deserves a heck of a thank-you card from the big guy.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2021 at 11:31, robnplunder said:

Daieisho's opponent on day 7 is Takanosho who can beat Daieisho to boost his own yusho chance.   Although I predict Daieisho's yusho, it won't be easy.

Morgan Freeman voiceover: In actual fact, it was to be a very easy yusho. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

Morgan Freeman voiceover: In actual fact, it was to be a very easy yusho. 

Sam Elliott voiceover: "there was this fella I wanna tell you about by the name of Hayato Takanishi . At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. He called himself "Daieisho"... sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about Daieisho here... sometimes, there's a man".

Edited by Tigerboy1966
ce
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Fujiazuma is on a 21-bout losing streak now and make-koshi. The swan is definitely singing for the former star of Tamanoi blog.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Fujiazuma is on a 21-bout losing streak now and make-koshi. The swan is definitely singing for the former star of Tamanoi blog.

Going to be a long time before he catches Shonanzakura

53 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Hakkaku has high praise for Daieisho's performance so far, calling the savior of the basho so far. "Getting 7 straight wins is great, but the context of his wins are good too. His body is just moving on its own. He is going out there to win."

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202101160000683.html

Certainly it's one thing being the only 7-0.  But to have done it against the highest ranked opponents competing is another!  Even if it's downhill in terms of difficulty, there's not a lot separating those guys at the top, so I wouldn't count on him cruising to victory yet.

22 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Certainly it's one thing being the only 7-0.  But to have done it against the highest ranked opponents competing is another!  Even if it's downhill in terms of difficulty, there's not a lot separating those guys at the top, so I wouldn't count on him cruising to victory yet.

There are two former yusho winners at M4, one of whom is an ex-Ozeki, and his East counterpart is a proven giant-killer with seven kinboshi to his name, so there’s plenty of quality in the joi for him still to face. That said, he has no reason to fear any of them.

Worth noting, since I haven’t seen it said, that he’s not only beaten all the sanyaku, but has also beaten five former yusho winners who’ve take a total of eight yusho between them.

Edited by Eikokurai

7 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

This time around, however, Shodai looks like he will double up (i.e., win following his win in July 2020). 

Except that he was picked by Waka

• Haha 2

Ex-Kotoshogiku Hidenoyama oyakata is today's guest in the NHK announcer booth. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

Terutsuyoshi is unable to get a win on his 26th birthday, as well as the 26th anniversary of the Great Hanshin Earthquake, as he was born on that very day, at that very place. 

13 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Terutsuyoshi is unable to get a win on his 26th birthday, as well as the 26th anniversary of the Great Hanshin Earthquake, as he was born on that very day, at that very place. 

He needs to throw more salt.  Not enough luck on his B-day.

Ura had a convincing win and goes 6-2.  He didn't need much salt today.  A pinch was all he threw.   I love to see him match up with Tetrutsuyoshi.   I will pay to see those two throwing salts, a pinch vs bucket.  :-D

• Like 1

And as I said, Meisei had an easy win over Akiseyama.   KK will be a good result for the latter despite his 6-2 record.  

4 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Hakkaku has high praise for Daieisho's performance so far

No surprises there, I think Hakkaku might see a little of himself in Daieisho.

Daieisho!!! That match was really exciting. I thought it was all over for Daieisho when he pulled that throw. 

10 minutes ago, Shinobi Steve said:

Daieisho!!! That match was really exciting. I thought it was all over for Daieisho when he pulled that throw. 

He was lucky to win.  I see 13-2 and yusho, sansho for Daieisho.   I hope I didn't jinx him just now.

• Like 1

The Takakeisho kadoban train keeps rolling on. Crazy to see him in such poor form after last tournament.  

Well, well. Daieisho’s fate is firmly in his own hands now! A two-bout lead and he’s already beaten his closest most likely challenger Shodai. Shodai is relying on some hiramaku help to get himself back in true contention.

Edited by Eikokurai

Even beating his rival Shodai, Mitakeumi didn't look good.  IMO, he was lucky to beat Shodai.  

At this rate, Takakeisho may go kyujo after he reaches MK.   The kid isn't himself.  Someone else is in his body.

15 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

At this rate, Takakeisho may go kyujo after he reaches MK.   The kid isn't himself.  Someone else is in his body.

Daieisho perhaps? ;-)

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Akinomaki said:
14 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

This time around, however, Shodai looks like he will double up (i.e., win following his win in July 2020). 

Except that he was picked by Waka

Alas, Shodai did not double up!  The Waka curse looks to remain unbroken!  The force is strong with Waka... ;-)

Spoiler

Despite Shodai now being two losses behind Daieisho, Waka III doubled down on a Shodai championship!  Who is he kidding?!

Spoiler

Himself, I guess...(Shakinghead...)

Edited by Amamaniac