Seiyashi

2021 "Kozumo" Hatsu Basho discussion thread

21 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Akiseyama now 5-0!

Ichinojo, at 4-1, is also looking spry this basho. 

Yeah Akiseyama is who I'm watching now haha, I hope Ichi keeps his spirit up.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dada78641 said:

Kotoyuki taking the lead in this basho's Bento Award:

(Unless I missed someone else who went even further.)

The Owl sure flew far!

Some unlikely people leading the basho so far: Daieisho, Meisei and Akiseyama.

I just cannot imagine if we have a first time yusho winner again for this year, making it six straight?

I'm sure if Akiseyama starts 8-0 he's going to face some very tough opponents starting day 9, considering that the available competition is pretty thin.

Akiseyama isn't ranked at M17 at least. We had enough winners from M17 in 2020. Terutsuyoshi's sald throw may not be quite as high tomorrow. The way he was holding his arm looked like it's going to be a little sore tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

"The Body" Akiseyama goes to 6-0! 

ZENSHO YUSHO

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Never thought it would be possible to put these words in the same sentence:

- longest current winning streak as sekitori

- Akiseyama

Edited by Faustonowaka

OMG!   Daieisho just destroyed Terunofuji.  I am sticking with the former's yusho prediction.   

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

"The Body" Akiseyama goes to 6-0! 

Not Meat, the Bread Loaf (raw) (adapted from Mineko Nomachi)

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Daieisho? Wow. Disappointed Teronofuji didn't make it more of a contest, but can't take anything away from Daieisho's power going forward.

Akiseyama? First, having him land on you can't be fun. Second, much as I enjoy seeing him do well, I have to admit I'm not sure him winning a basho would be good for the sport, at least from the perspective of promoting its appeal to those who are not currently fans. Apologies if this sounds judgmental, and I'm sincere in saying it's really not meant to be. I just think non-fans will take one look at his physique and make that "Pfffff" noise they do when writing somebody or something off out of hand.

Shodai looking the business against Tochinoshin.

Midorifuji awesome quick. He's so fun to watch.

Takarafuji playing spoiler? Always like to see him win with his habitual humility.

What else? Among the also-rans, Yutakayama looking not too bad, so far. We'll see if he can keep the wheels from falling off his wagon.

So ... do I jinx Daieisho by bringing up the possibility of a sanyaku clean sweep tomorrow? When’s the last time that happened? Has it ever? (Obviously I mean by a maegashira joi).

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, since_94 said:

Akiseyama? First, having him land on you can't be fun. Second, much as I enjoy seeing him do well, I have to admit I'm not sure him winning a basho would be good for the sport, at least from the perspective of promoting its appeal to those who are not currently fans. Apologies if this sounds judgmental, and I'm sincere in saying it's really not meant to be. I just think non-fans will take one look at his physique and make that "Pfffff" noise they do when writing somebody or something off out of hand.

No worries.  Akiseyama will not take the yusho.  If he was ranked M17, he may, just may. (Sigh...)

40 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

A potential translation for North American English speakers might be the "Pillsbury Doughboy"? ;-) 

But I also overheard the variant nickname "pannoyama" or "mountain of bread (dough)".

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, since_94 said:

What else? Among the also-rans, Yutakayama looking not too bad, so far. We'll see if he can keep the wheels from falling off his wagon.

Amazingly, he is 4-2.  I say "amazingly" because he appears to be fighting through a left (and right?) ankle injury.  Those "wheels" definitely look a little wobbly...

Early days but the Sanyaku boys (except for Shodai and maybe Takanosho) have very lacklustre records:

Takakeisho (1-5)     Shodai (5-1)

Asanoyama (3-3)

Terunofuji (3-3)       Takanosho (4-2)

Takayasu (3-3)        Mitakeumi (2-4)

Pretty sad...

• Like 2

Definitely, it's being a complicated basho for the sanyaku boys. And after beating all of them (let's see what happens with Takanosho), Daieisho is for sure the favourite to catch the Emperor's cup. Not only he's undefeated and fought already the big guys, but he's just fighting like an unstoppable oshi machine. It reminds me of Chiyotaikai. Not so sure now Asanoyama can clear kadoban, he still has some serious bouts to do. It's not the first day Terutsuyoshi holds his arm with a pain expression on his face. I just hope it's nothing too serious. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

He reminds of a sad molten candle... :-S

Is there any rumour to be heard about Takakeisho? I don't like his Sumo one bit but this is strange. If there's something seriously wrong why does he not go kyujo?
He's done it before and it  paid off then...

10 minutes ago, RaeucherLax said:

Is there any rumour to be heard about Takakeisho? I don't like his Sumo one bit but this is strange. If there's something seriously wrong why does he not go kyujo?
He's done it before and it  paid off then...

His sumo style means there is just a whisker between "mostly unbeatable" and "pretty easy to beat" if he is just a little bit off. There is no real margin for error. Usually the first push shoves his aite upright and off balance and the second one shoves them backwards. That first shove isn't working and Plan B (the sideways shove) is off too. It could just be he's out of form and his timing is off?

Edited by Morty
  • Like 1

Wow! I'm am a little late today but here's what I thought after watching all the matches... 

With a late tachiai similar to yesterday and Asanoyama's preferred stance, I thought Takarafuji was done for. However, the notoriously neckless rikishi showed some great lateral movement thus escaping being cornered on the ropes. This made the Ozeki lean forward and lose his balance thus resulting in a disadvantageous position on the tawara and inevitably losing by uwatenage. Regarding Takakeisho, I think it's the knees guys. The increased weight might mean that his knees are hurting and thus not generating any power. While facing Onosho's today, he not only lacked powerful thrusts but also lacked the ability to withstand his aite's thrusts. Sort of the same story with Terunofuji today. He was brutally defeated by Daieisho, who is A GENIUS this basho. Excellent use of nodowa lifts Terunofuji up and backwards and his knees just cannot give the appropriate resistance, thus an oshidashi win for Daieisho. Mitakeumi continues to bring static as Takayasu knocks him off balance and Hokutofuji continues to frustrate the young Kotoshoho with his excellent lateral movement, allowing him to leverage his greater bulk. Okinoumi wipes Meisei off the top of the leaderboard. Excellent reversal and tenacity by Kiribayama today, and Hoshoryu officially gets his first win. I guess uncle's furore must have helped. Inexplicably, Akiseyama continues to make the yusho dream alive as he executes a fantastic reversal that pancakes the small Terutsuyoshi. 

ZENSHO YUSHO FOR DAIEISHO (or) AKISEYAMA!!!

Two hiramaku rikishi at the top of leaderboard, only 1 Ozeki in second place. I fear 2021 is simply the sequel to 2020 no one wanted. 

Comic Relief

Enjoy this hilarious comic by @changasano about Asashoryu's explosion yesterday, featuring his two shibas. "We all love what we hate!" says Asashoryu. "At this level, Hakuho can still win. Do your best, Yokozuna." 

I particularly like the dark Asashoryu emanating bad vibes. (Laughing...)

ErviPPBVQAIB--h?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 2

I sensed that win meant something to Onosho today. He and Takakeisho were peers at one point before their careers went in different directions and I could see that beating the Ozeki to end a four-bout losing streak against him gave Onosho a lot of satisfaction.

Hokutofuji looked good again today. The mono-ii shouldn’t have really been needed. His was a clear win.

Daieisho has the chance tomorrow to sweep the sanyaku. Do that and take the yusho and we might get a rare triple-sansho/yusho. Okay, there’s no Yokozuna, but I reckon beating seven sanyaku including three Ozeki makes up for that.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Hokutofuji looked good again today. The mono-ii shouldn’t have really been needed. His was a clear win.

The mono-ii was necessary to overrule the gyoji who got it wrong.

Edited by Jakusotsu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

The mono-ii was necessary to overrule the gyoji who got it wrong.

Oh, yeah ... good point! (Laughing...)

• Haha 1

By the way, am I the only one who thinks it's hilarious when the monoii announcement is done as awkwardly as in Hokutofuji's match?

"The referee pointed his fan to Kotoshoho, but we wanted to discuss whether his hand touched down early. We found that it did, [Hokutofuji realizes he's won and starts walking up the dohyo] and so we reverse the referee's decision and therefore... ... ... ..."

[Hokutofuji stops walking towards the dohyo, looking confused]

"...huh? ... ... ...and therefore give the victory the Hokutofuji."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2