Seiyashi

2021 "Kozumo" Hatsu Basho discussion thread

1 hour ago, pricklypomegranate said:

I believe his exact wording was that it was an "strange" question. Isegahama-oyakata giving straight up shade. (Laughing...) I'm starting to like him more. Truly, Isegahama-ichimon has all the drama, all the tea. 

Yeah I built it up a bit. Although from my experience sports media has more than once been prone to ask "stupid" questions

It is Daeisho's basho!   I don't see anyone stopping his yusho run.  

Wasn't Takanosho seriously injuried and refused surgery?

Down in Juryo, Tsurugisho pulled out in front after he won and Ura lost in their respective bouts.

Up in Makuuchi, however, all three rank-and-file frontrunners won their bouts, keeping their yusho hopes alive.  (#Akiseiyama makujiri yusho)  They all showed good sumo, but Daieisho's sumo was the most intense of all.  He definitely looks as though he wants this championship.  Currently, he is like a shark who smells blood in the water.  Furthermore, he knew that he would have to bring his all against ex-Ozeki Takayasu. 

All three Ozeki managed to win their bouts.  Takakeisho finally got a win which was probably the news of the day.  Asanoyama came out of the tachiai blazing, not giving Tochinoshin a chance.  And Takarafuji gave Shodai a bit of a scare, but Shodai muscled out a victory from a precarious, erect stance to stay just one loss behind the leaders.

This tournament is definitely not over yet.  The next five days will see what the aforementioned wrestlers are made of.

• Like 1

Ura came in nice and low today but a poorly timed and executed sidestep redirected a rampaging Daishomaru to his side, forcing off balance and a painful fall below. Tsurugisho in the lead 5-0, which is just as well - considering his 5 consecutive MK and a 8-7 KK last basho, boy does this guy need good news. Oho was initially driven back by the thrusts of fellow rookie Ryuko as well, but managed to get his arms under him and execute a good tsukiotoshi.

Although Akiseyama was also initially driven to the ropes, he shows his experience and yotsu skills by denying Hoshoryu a crucial right hand hold, allowing the larger man to leverage his bulk and put the still winless Hoshoryu out of the way. Meisei continued to show great energy and also prevented Tokushoryu from any substantial belt hold thus forcing the former yusho winner out. 

Onosho lost the good quality tachiai he had from Day 1 - 3, thus allowing Tamawashi's deadly nodowa to knock him upright and easily throw him down, thus putting the once hopeful likely out of contention for the yusho (sigh...). Daieisho's powerful thrusts are often spotlighted but what really won the bout for him today was his excellent footwork - Takayasu got him on the side once, a no-no for oshi rikshi, as well as on the ropes but Daieisho's footwork and insistence on reattaining a front-facing position definitely gave him the win. 

Very intelligent play by Terunofuji today. Straight from the tachiai, he not only closed the distance needed by Hokutofuji to thrust him, but also locked up the left arm. Pushing the giant frame of Terunofuji with one arm is simply a futile mission - and the Mongolian definitely wins this one. Takakeisho somewhat back on form today. At the tachiai, the weakness of his thrusts was once again apparent but his distinctive sidestep and parry made sure the inexperienced Kotoshoho hit the clay. 

Tochinoshin attempted Hakuho's signature slap-and-grab. As controversial as that move is, it's not as easy to execute as some might think as Araiso has stated - his preoccupation with the slap and grab meant his tachiai was incredibly upright (almost like Takarafuji v. Shodai today) and thus a quick, inevitable loss to the Ozeki's lower tachiai. Asanoyama didn't even need much a belt hold, and was nice enough to catch Tochinoshin on the rope despite such a tactic used on him. 

Takarafuji's upright tachiai meant that though he had the upper hand at first, his centre of gravity was permanently high and thus allowed Shodai to spin him right off the dohyo. 

And that's all the action I remembered today. 

Epilogue(?)

iW89Ccz.png

Mad Uncle Sez: "Everyone is weak! That's impolite to customers!"

Yikes.  

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 5

Surely at this point we need to acknowledge that Akiseyama's body has been possessed by an ancient and powerful warrior spirit who as come back from the grave for one final shot at glory? Coz I can't work out how else this has happened. He looks like he was just wandering past the KK with a shopping trolley full of cardboard and empty aluminum cans and thought "that looks fun, I'll nip in and give it a go" but he is fighting like Raiden. I doubt he is going to yusho, but I would love it if he did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I just want to take a moment to show some appreciation to Murray Walker and his commentary. After Akua lost, he tried to do some sort of flip back up onto his feet. Akua is a large man, so of course he only got about halfway. Nevertheless, the crowd audibly chuckled. On the commentary, Murray said “that’s probably the only impressive thing he did in that bout and it wasn’t during the bout.” (Laughing...)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Shinobi Steve said:

some appreciation to Murray Walker and his commentary

"... and there goes Akua in the Williams, overtaken on the parabolica by Kotoeko in the McLaren, oh no his turbo has blown! ...". Murray - Walker - Johnson - nice mash-up! :-D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Karasukurai said:

"... and there goes Akua in the Williams, overtaken on the parabolica by Kotoeko in the McLaren, oh no his turbo has blown! ...". Murray - Walker - Johnson - nice mash-up! :-D

(Laughing...) oops! My two favorite sports are Formula 1 and Sumo. So it’s natural to mix up two legendary Murray’s. Haha. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pricklypomegranate said:

iW89Ccz.png

Mad Uncle Sez: "Everyone is weak! Excuse me, customers!!"

Yikes.  

(Out of reacts)

Today I was actually thinking it's about time The Uncle sent his love and care to the dear nephew. Well guess what, he exceeded my expectation (Laughing...)

Anyway its good to see the ozeki trio show up. It was quite relieving to see T got his first win, with his big left no less.

First bout, nice escape by Sadanoumi. Tamawashi almost did a Mortal Kombat-style headpull fatality to Onosho. Watching Ichinojo in densha-michi sumo is fun. Keep rolling! :-D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morty said:

Surely at this point we need to acknowledge that Akiseyama's body has been possessed by an ancient and powerful warrior spirit who as come back from the grave for one final shot at glory? Coz I can't work out how else this has happened. He looks like he was just wandering past the KK with a shopping trolley full of cardboard and empty aluminum cans and thought "that looks fun, I'll nip in and give it a go" but he is fighting like Raiden. I doubt he is going to yusho, but I would love it if he did.

I am hoping Akiseyama will fight Aoiyama this basho, just to see the slow motion replay afterward. It will be like the nature channel slo-mo videos of elephant seals, walrus' (walrai?) or other blubbery mammals fighting in all their glory :-}    Actually I am really enjoying Akiseyama use what looks like some wily veteran skills to stay on top of the leader board.  

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

Wasn't Takanosho seriously injuried and refused surgery?

He originally tore his ACL back in January 2019 (a tournament where he went kyujo, returned and then went kyujo again) and he was advised to have surgery and refused. There was a report in mid December of last year that mentioned the injury again, but he returned to training as normal for this basho and it doesn't seem to have been brought up any more after that. 

Edited by ryafuji

Kotoyuki taking the lead in this basho's Bento Award:

DR54Nk5.jpg

(Unless I missed someone else who went even further.)

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Very intelligent play by Terunofuji today. Straight from the tachiai, he not only closed the distance needed by Hokutofuji to thrust him, but also locked up the left arm. Pushing the giant frame of Terunofuji with one arm is simply a futile mission - and the Mongolian definitely wins this one.

Let's give Hokutofuji some credit too.  He had the stuffing knocked out of him against Takakeisho on day 3, and is probably still trying to recover from that blood bath.  Against Terunofuji today, Hokutofuji had the good sense not to let Terunofuji get an outside left grip on his mawashi.  Terunofuji tried several times to get his preferred grip but Hokutofuji kept his belt just out of reach.  That forced Terunofuji to find another way to win...

9 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Ura came in nice and low today but a poorly timed and executed sidestep redirected a rampaging Daishomaru to his side, forcing off balance and a painful fall below. Tsurugisho in the lead 5-0, which is just as well - considering his 5 consecutive MK and a 8-7 KK last basho, boy does this guy need good news. Oho was initially driven back by the thrusts of fellow rookie Ryuko as well, but managed to get his arms under him and execute a good tsukiotoshi.

Although Akiseyama was also initially driven to the ropes, he shows his experience and yotsu skills by denying Hoshoryu a crucial right hand hold, allowing the larger man to leverage his bulk and put the still winless Hoshoryu out of the way. Meisei continued to show great energy and also prevented Tokushoryu from any substantial belt hold thus forcing the former yusho winner out. 

Onosho lost the good quality tachiai he had from Day 1 - 3, thus allowing Tamawashi's deadly nodowa to knock him upright and easily throw him down, thus putting the once hopeful likely out of contention for the yusho (sigh...). Daieisho's powerful thrusts are often spotlighted but what really won the bout for him today was his excellent footwork - Takayasu got him on the side once, a no-no for oshi rikshi, as well as on the ropes but Daieisho's footwork and insistence on reattaining a front-facing position definitely gave him the win. 

Very intelligent play by Terunofuji today. Straight from the tachiai, he not only closed the distance needed by Hokutofuji to thrust him, but also locked up the left arm. Pushing the giant frame of Terunofuji with one arm is simply a futile mission - and the Mongolian definitely wins this one. Takakeisho somewhat back on form today. At the tachiai, the weakness of his thrusts was once again apparent but his distinctive sidestep and parry made sure the inexperienced Kotoshoho hit the clay. 

Tochinoshin attempted Hakuho's signature slap-and-grab. As controversial as that move is, it's not as easy to execute as some might think as Araiso has stated - his preoccupation with the slap and grab meant his tachiai was incredibly upright (almost like Takarafuji v. Shodai today) and thus a quick, inevitable loss to the Ozeki's lower tachiai. Asanoyama didn't even need much a belt hold, and was nice enough to catch Tochinoshin on the rope despite such a tactic used on him. 

Takarafuji's upright tachiai meant that though he had the upper hand at first, his centre of gravity was permanently high and thus allowed Shodai to spin him right off the dohyo. 

And that's all the action I remembered today. 

Epilogue(?)

iW89Ccz.png

Mad Uncle Sez: "Everyone is weak! Excuse me, customers!!"

Yikes.  

Small correction if I may -- Everyone is weak! (that's) Impolite to the customers. 失礼 being translated as impolite in this context. 

Standard day 5 prediction: Shodai bumbles his way to yusho, daieisho Jun, midorifuji fighting spirit, all sanyaku kk. 

Strange basho - but this is no news... We had some of these in the last few years. 

I have to tell you that my wife's favourite is Daieisho. She noticed him long before I have, but I have to say, my wife was right. This guy is getting better and better each basho. His elevation is slow but steady, sometimes he looks like he hit the wall, but then he bounces back. 

Now this time (at M1) he started with a 5-0 run, which has never happened before. He has already faced 3 Ozeki and 2 Komosubi, so each and every one of his opponents were ranked higher. I think this is a really great start.

I'm not saying that this is going to be his basho, but I'm saying that this will be another step forward to him, a basho that he (and my wife and also me) will remember. 

My wife said: he is in killer mode, and I couldn't agree more with her. 

Edited by Wakaebala
  • Like 1

Ozeki Watch for Day 6

After a last-minute victory over Takarafuji today, Shodai will face Tochinoshin tomorrow.  Shodai is 10-7 against the Georgian.  He has dominated him since March of 2018.  Statistically, he should pick up a win, but Tochinoshin looks pretty healthy (relatively speaking) this tournament, despite losing against Asanoyama today without putting up much of a struggle.  I predict Shodai will win, especially if he learned anything from today's bout (i.e., don't take your opponent lightly).

Takakeisho will take on Onosho.  He got his first taste of victory today, so hopefully he can translate that into a rensho streak of sorts.  He needs 7 more wins for his kachikoshi, so he can't afford to lose.  Onosho was looking very strong early on, but now has two losses to his name.  Despite Takakeisho's sumo looking rather tentative, even in today's victory, the odds of victory are slightly in his favour.  The question is whether Onosho will find his initial magic again.

The final bout of the day sees Asanoyama face Takarafuji.  It is rather curious that Takarafuji faced all three Ozeki in the final bouts of consecutive days.  That gives him plenty of opportunity to steal big kensho purses.  Thus far, he won one and lost one.  Can he pull off another big win tomorrow?  That will depend a lot on his tachiai.  Asanoyama seems to have a deadly tachiai this tournament, and that has been on display at least twice already.  Even without a lethal tachiai, Asanoyama definitely has the advantage if their previous 7-1 record is any indication.

If things go to plan, we will see another Ozeki sweep.  But when has this tournament truly gone to plan?

10 hours ago, Kujo said:

I am hoping Akiseyama will fight Aoiyama this basho, just to see the slow motion replay afterward. It will be like the nature channel slo-mo videos of elephant seals, walrus' (walrai?) or other blubbery mammals fighting in all their glory :-}    Actually I am really enjoying Akiseyama use what looks like some wily veteran skills to stay on top of the leader board.  

I'd say Walrussians. 

Days fly by, lots of work, almost no time to watch let alone comment. Today I watched on phone while cooking after working long hours and doing some excersises and I can't recall much. I'm worried for Hoshoryu. Kotoshoho doesn't have any wins, but he's paying dues, everything else would be weird. Daeisho doesn't seem to be a bad pick after going through all three Ozeki, but everyone seems close in skill and he has Terunofuji tomorrow, so yeah... Only 5/15 done... 

12 hours ago, Kujo said:

I think it's a little ambitious to assume that the match itself won't take place in slow motion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, dingo said:

Small correction if I may -- Everyone is weak! (that's) Impolite to the customers. 失礼 being translated as impolite in this context. 

Given the tone of the Tweet, I think "rude" captures his sentiment even better.

13 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

Today I was actually thinking it's about time The Uncle sent his love and care to the dear nephew. Well guess what, he exceeded my expectation (Laughing...)

He said a lot about his nephew and also derided Japanese rikishi ("[They think they can match the] Mongolian Corps? Weak! LOL"). If you want the full details and have adequate gear to protect yourself from his corrosive rage do check out his Twitter page. (Laughing...)

5 hours ago, dingo said:

Corrected, thanks. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

7 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Let's give Hokutofuji some credit too.  He had the stuffing knocked out of him against Takakeisho on day 3, and is probably still trying to recover from that blood bath.  Against Terunofuji today, Hokutofuji had the good sense not to let Terunofuji get an outside left grip on his mawashi.  Terunofuji tried several times to get his preferred grip but Hokutofuji kept his belt just out of reach.  That forced Terunofuji to find another way to win...

Hokutofuji always gives his 150% every bout and I greatly admire his fighting spirit but I am definitely not a fan of his recklessness - it's not very conducive to his long-term career or health and at 28 he still has some ways to go - I definitely don't see other pusher-thrusters concussed or bloodied up like that. And yes, Terunofuji was denied his preferred grip but answered well and turned the tables on Hokutofuji. I can only hope Hokutofuji wins today.