Seiyashi

2021 "Kozumo" Hatsu Basho discussion thread

Takakeisho is in deep trouble, he lacks almost all of his usual explosiveness. Shame, really... While I don't really like his style, I really enjoy seeing him succeed. 

Takayasu for some reason has had Terunofuji's number since the Mongolian returned. Whether Teru looks shaky or like a world beater, Takayasu stops him. It's rather amazing, since Takayasu does not seem to be his former self while Terunofuji looked commanding quite often since his return. Shodai looked convincing today. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, since_94 said:

I would have given the benefit of the doubt to Midorifuji as the aggressor. It was a beautiful kimarite to behold. The man has skills. However, today (day 4) I would say Hoshoryu got robbed. He movement was faster than the naked eye, or the shim pans’ eyes, anyway.

On Day 4 I think Hoshoryu lost fair and square.

He was clearly standing already outside when he was throwing Sadanoumi !

(when I watched this Bout first, I also thought he was "robbed" again, but in Slomotion I saw it

1 hour ago, ryafuji said:

Isn't it a shini-tai case though? It doesn't matter if Hoshoryu hit the ground afterwards if his position was irrecoverable and Midorifuji was the one executing the move.

That's one way of looking at it. To my eyes, both men were working their offense. Hoshoryu was looking for the throw the whole time and executed it well enough to get Midorifuji to hit the ground first and flip off the dohyo.

I thought it was at least worth a mono-ii, but the judges seem to hate backward sumo and Hoshoryu didn't quite get out from underneath enough to receive credit for his move.

Maybe it's just me, but every time I see Akiseyama I can't get over how unhealthy and unathletic his body looks. And every time he wins I can't help to be a little bit amazed at his achievement. That's sumo for you. 

Shodai and Asanoyama managed to show their classic sumo today. When they can do their stuff, they're very convincing. Takakeisho unfortunately still hasn't found his groove. Not looking good for him. 

2 hours ago, Kaito said:

That's one way of looking at it. To my eyes, both men were working their offense. Hoshoryu was looking for the throw the whole time and executed it well enough to get Midorifuji to hit the ground first and flip off the dohyo.

I thought it was at least worth a mono-ii, but the judges seem to hate backward sumo and Hoshoryu didn't quite get out from underneath enough to receive credit for his move.

As stated before, Hoshoryu stepped out with his left foot long before he managed to attempt the throw. It was a clear loss, easily seen in slowmo. 

1 minute ago, dingo said:

Maybe it's just me, but every time I see Akiseyama I can't get over how unhealthy and unathletic his body looks. And every time he wins I can't help to be a little bit amazed at his achievement. That's sumo for you. 

Shodai and Asanoyama managed to show their classic sumo today. When they can do their stuff, they're very convincing. Takakeisho unfortunately still hasn't found his groove. Not looking good for him. 

As stated before, Hoshoryu stepped out with his left foot long before he managed to attempt the throw. It was a clear loss, easily seen in slowmo. 

My response was in reference to Hoshoryu/Midorifuji the day before. I saw Hoshoryu step out against Sadanoumi yesterday clear as day.

Ozeki Watch for Day 5

So the two kadoban Ozeki won their respective bouts on day 4, while the November champion continued his losing ways.  In terms of the championship race, at 3-1 Shodai is arguably still in it.  Asanoyama is probably not a contender with his early-stage 2-2 record.  And Takakeisho doesn't have a kakigori's chance in hell.

Tomorrow, the kanban bouts (those involving Ozeki, anyway) are as follows:

Takakeisho will go up against Kotoshoho.  Both men have 0-4 records in this tournament.  They met once before in November, when Takakeisho was on his second championship run.  But Takakeisho has not been firing on all pistons this tournament, so there are no guarantees that he can handle the highly touted rookie of 2020.  But has Kotoshoho learned how to deal with sanyaku opponents yet?  And does he have the tools that Takarafuji showed today that allowed him to stay in the bout and then topple the solid-framed Ozeki?  I think we've reached the critical point for Takakeisho, so hopefully he won't stop short of victory against his green hiramaku opponent.

Asanoyama will go up against Tochinoshin.  The head-to-head record favours Asanoyama 4-2.  However, thus far in January, Asanoyama is running hot and cold: loss-win-loss-win.  He looks dismal one day, and then Ozeki-worthy the next.  Nevertheless, I see Asanoyama winning this one.  Tochinoshin is fighting well, but Asanoyama has a slight edge in terms of speed ... if he can muster it.  If it turns into a mawashi battle, Tochinoshin may just prevail.  5.5-4.5 odds, I'd say.  (Sorry.  I don't quite understand how odds work.)

In the final bout of the day, Shodai will go up against Takarafuji. These two men have a long history, one that favours Shodai 11-3.  Takarafuji hasn't beaten Shodai since May 2018.  I'd say that shows that Shodai has figured Takarafuji out.  Takarafuji may have gained extra confidence after defeating Takakeisho today, but ...  Having secured a big purse today, winning another big purse would simply be just a little greedy on M2e Takarafuji's part. ;-)  I give the final bout to kadoban Ozeki, Shodai

• Like 3

I wouldn't be surprised if Takakeisho goes kyujo soon. No idea what's wrong with him, but he's pushing with 50% power compared to Kyushu. Once the tsuna run and the basho are over for him, I would say he needs to regroup. But maybe this thought doesn't fit in that samurai brain. OTOH, I feel so strange about Takayasu. He loses so many "easy" bouts, and then handles Terunofuji, who terrorizes everyone else, once and once again (Eh?)

10 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Which digest? Natto’s stream has been pulled.

You can find Natto's digest in his discord server (I don't know if I should paste it here). He is looking at alternatives to host the videos and he has even open a really convenient Telegram.

52 minutes ago, dingo said:

You can see him in 2010 on the db; there are several video clips from Kyusho, for instance.  He has the same collapsed belly and boobs, as if he weighed a lot more once and lost weight.  Interesting point: he had a tachiai where he started at 45° to his opponent.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Ozeki Watch for Day 5

So the two kadoban Ozeki won their respective bouts on day 4, while the November champion continued his losing ways.  In terms of the championship race, at 3-1 Shodai is arguably still in it.  Asanoyama is probably not a contender with his early-stage 2-2 record.  And Takakeisho doesn't have a kakigori's chance in hell.

Remember, remember, Aki 2017

4 hours ago, Kaito said:

I also think that this match between Hoshoryu and Midorifuju should have worth a mono-ii!

But after revising it carefully, I think it still would've been ended with a Midorifuji win. There was a very distinctive leg movement by Hoshoryu, he tried to make us believe that he was in control, when he stretched out his legs as he was trying to perform a throw. But I think his body was already 'dead', the attack was initiated by Midorifuji at the first place, and the leg-stretching was only a wily attempt from Hoshoryu to make us believe otherwise. 

That's my theory. (Please!?...)

Edited by Wakaebala
Poor grammar
  • Like 3

Glad I’m not the only one who thought Hoshoryu clearly won yesterday at first! The replay shows he was already miles out, so it was the right call, but damn, it didn’t look that way at all in real time. How our eyes can be deceived.

Edited by Eikokurai

Not sure why everyone has a problem with the hoshoryu midorifuji match. looked like a clear midori win.

now ura v tohakuryu looked like it went the wrong way. ura definitely stepped out first.

One of those days for dreary sumo unfortunately.

Looking at pictures it seems like Takakeisho's right ankle may be a bit swollen and sometimes bruised looking. Wonder if he picked up a nagging sprain recently.

14 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Wow.  Day 4 wrapped about 50 minutes ago, and there were only two or three posts about the action.  Pretty sad.  It almost seems as though few people would complain if this tournament were to get cancelled...  Perhaps there is just too much going on in the world for anyone to get excited about oozumo(Scratchingchin...)

I was unaware that the measuring stick on whether or not someone was excited by ozumo was the number of comments they make on Sumo Forum during the bouts. :) 

• Like 2

On 14/01/2021 at 01:05, Yangnomazuma said:

I was unaware that the measuring stick on whether or not someone was excited by ozumo was the number of comments they make on Sumo Forum during the bouts. :) 

Just an observation about a noticeable decline in traffic during and just after the bouts.  I wasn't trying to single anyone out.  I meant no offence.  Frankly, I am usually too busy watching the stream to post during bouts. 

But there used to be a core group who posted reactions on the Forum after almost every Top Division bout, and there used to be a rush to post comments once the stream(s) ended.  Perhaps the live stream chat rooms are drawing the most instantaneous posts, and righty so. (Signofapproval...)

Edited by Amamaniac

4 hours ago, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

Not sure why everyone has a problem with the hoshoryu midorifuji match. looked like a clear midori win.

now ura v tohakuryu looked like it went the wrong way. ura definitely stepped out first.

No problem for me on the Midorifuji match. My post above yours was about his bout yesterday against Sadanoumi. 

Edited by Eikokurai

56 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Well, we knew this after day 3, but Isegahama pretty much confirmed it over after going off on media members who asked if the tsuna run was still alive after day 4.

"You even asking that question is stupid, don't you see he's 0-4?" said the judging chief.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202101130000781.html

I know violence is taboo in the heya, but can they still give a reporter a box on the ears for massive stupidity?  Asking for an Oyakata friend.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Wow.  Day 4 wrapped about 50 minutes ago, and there were only two or three posts about the action.  Pretty sad.  It almost seems as though few people would complain if this tournament were to get cancelled...  Perhaps there is just too much going on in the world for anyone to get excited about oozumo. (Scratchingchin...)

If you're not excited by the prospect of an Akiseyama yusho, you're not a true sumo fan! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, WAKATAKE said:

Well, we knew this after day 3, but Isegahama pretty much confirmed it over after going off on media members who asked if the tsuna run was still alive after day 4.

"You even asking that question is stupid, don't you see he's 0-4?" said the judging chief.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202101130000781.html

I believe his exact wording was that it was an "strange" question. Isegahama-oyakata giving straight up shade. (Laughing...) I'm starting to like him more. Truly, Isegahama-ichimon has all the drama, all the tea. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

Reporters have to ask so they have a quote to report, otherwise they just end up writing an editorial, not news.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

You can see him in 2010 on the db; there are several video clips from Kyusho, for instance.  He has the same collapsed belly and boobs, as if he weighed a lot more once and lost weight.  Interesting point: he had a tachiai where he started at 45° to his opponent.

To me Akiseyama looks like a very large sack whose contents have shifted around somewhat.

Edited by Naganoyama
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

What a strange match from Nishikigi. He couldn't of got himself in a worse position if he tried.