Seiyashi

2021 "Kozumo" Hatsu Basho discussion thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Daieisho is showing the sanyaku how it’s done this basho. Four faced. Four taken down. Shame he won’t get the chance to win himself a kinboshi!

Daieisho will be happy with the yusho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  Day 4 wrapped about 50 minutes ago, and there were only two or three posts about the action.  Pretty sad.  It almost seems as though few people would complain if this tournament were to get cancelled...  Perhaps there is just too much going on in the world for anyone to get excited about oozumo. (Scratchingchin...)

Well, as I saw it, there were several noteworthy bouts today.  The first was between Akiseiyama and Midorifuji.  Akiseiyama is defying all the odds.  No one really thought he would make it back up to Makuuchi at his age (and weight?).  But here he is keeping the Makujiri yusho dream alive.  He controlled that bout, making Midorifuji fight Akiseiyama's brand of sumo.  Not too much hope there for Midorifuji.

Mitakeumi did not show up for his bout against Daieisho.  Too much static, not enough melody.

Takayasu got a chance to show off for his newborn son.  Terunofuji is losing to opponents that he really should be beating.  If he had any chance at a yusho, it is pretty much gone now.

Asanoyama bounced back today and showed some Ozeki-worthy sumo against hot-shot Onosho.

Shodai also stepped up in his first meeting against 2020 Rookie of the Year.

But it was Takarafuji who got the Morinaga Prize and MVP (IMHO) for handing Takakeisho his 4th straight loss!  Enjoy the kensho windfall tough guy!

 

Edited by Amamaniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Wow.  Day 4 wrapped about 50 minutes ago, and there were only two or three posts about the action.  Pretty sad.  It almost seems as though few people would complain if this tournament were to get cancelled...  Perhaps there is just too much going on in the world for anyone to get excited about oozumo. (Scratchingchin...)

 

Might just be like me, can't watch it live on weekdays because I'm in the same time zone and working, so avoid the results until I can watch one of the digests, then comment. As I am doing now :-)

 

And it was a great day of sumo, go Akiseyama

Edited by Morty
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Day 4 wrapped about 50 minutes ago, and there were only two or three posts about the action.

Well, I haven’t seen any of it yet and the way things are going on YT at the moment, I don’t know when I will. I followed the result updates on the NSK website, that’s all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Morty said:

Might just be like me, can't watch it live on weekdays because I'm in the same time zone and working, so avoid the results until I can watch one of the digests, then comment. As I am doing now :-)

 

And it was a great day of sumo, go Akiseyama

Which digest? Natto’s stream has been pulled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eikokurai said:

Which digest? Natto’s stream has been pulled.

I've watched it every day for the past four days... He is running the digest as a live stream on Youtube as a workaround

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Morty said:

I've watched it every day for the past four days... He is running the digest as a live stream on Youtube as a workaround

 

Yeah, it’s been cut at least twice. Just managed to see a few bouts but it’s gone again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eikokurai said:

Yeah, it’s been cut at least twice. Just managed to see a few bouts but it’s gone again.

Have you tried mbovo's or Karla Marxist's Twitch stream? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Have you tried mbovo's or Karla Marxist's Twitch stream? 

For live stuff at the weekend, yeah, but I work during the day. I’m only an hour behind Tokyo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

For live stuff at the weekend, yeah, but I work during the day. I’m only an hour behind Tokyo.

Presumably you have time to watch it now as you are on this forum - the link is here - all 3 hours of Juryo/Makuuchi. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Wow.  Day 4 wrapped about 50 minutes ago, and there were only two or three posts about the action.  Pretty sad.  It almost seems as though few people would complain if this tournament were to get cancelled...  Perhaps there is just too much going on in the world for anyone to get excited about oozumo. (Scratchingchin...)

 

My interest is definitely down given all the absentees.   Such as it is, I am rooting for Daieisho for this basho.   It will be his best chance to get the yusho.  

Takakeisho is too sluggish.  I think the added weight (if my eyes are seeing it correctly) may have slowed him down.  He is staring at kadoban.   

Akiseyama has athleticism that is overlooked.  For a guy wearing several tires on his waist, he moves well.

Not much else going on other than Ura going zensho so far.  For his sake, I hope the basho won't be canceled in mid-stream.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Presumably you have time to watch it now as you are on this forum - the link is here - all 3 hours of Juryo/Makuuchi. 

Cheers. I didn’t realize he holds the old broadcasts there, though going through the whole thing might be an ask. I also wouldn’t take my forum activity as a sign I’m free – I often slack off at work. :)

I managed to see a few bouts on Natto in between the interruptions. Asanoyama and Shodai both finally look like Ozeki, but Takakeisho seems to have no energy at all. He must be desperate for a cancellation to save him from the kadoban that seems inevitable at this point.

Go Daieisho! He’s winning the same way every day but his aite still can’t seem to figure him out. 

 

 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

 I also wouldn’t take my forum activity as a sign I’m free – I often slack off at work. :)

Same for me! (Laughing...)

I'm very interested in the basho just because I like sumo. I don't think I've been a fan long enough to distinguish good sumo from bad sumo; I like to watch it all.  Occasionally, I can check in live during the bouts. I'm five hours behind Japan, so the final hour of each day is during my lunch break. On the occasion I do get to follow live, maybe I'll post something. I usually only watch the matches in the evening though at home. The NSK World daily highlights come on at 8:30pm in my time zone, so that ends up being really convenient. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, robnplunder said:

My interest is definitely down given all the absentees.   Such as it is, I am rooting for Daieisho for this basho.   It will be his best chance to get the yusho.  

Takakeisho is too sluggish.  I think the added weight (if my eyes are seeing it correctly) may have slowed him down.  He is staring at kadoban.   

Daieisho looking to scalp every single sanyaku in sight. He's still my favourite to win the yusho so far - no regrets picking him. And wow, what a way down for Takakeisho. From tsuna run to kadoban, that's has got to be quite a tremendous fall. But credit needs to be given to Takarafuji - he's not called the salaryman of Makuuchi for nothing - he is a very consistent performer with excellent defensive abilities. The straightforward sumo Shodai and Asanoyama showed today was worthy of their rank. I felt Onosho's concentration had broken somewhat - somehow his tachiai today lacked the zip of Day 1 - 3, and as such was unable to establish the distance required to  push Shodai out. Same story with Takakeisho too. As soon as Shodai got the belt grip on him he was done. Hokutofuji looked like he didn't recover from his violent bout yesterday. Hoshoryu and Kotoshoho still without a win, and Mitakeumi, well... Ura is definitely my favourite to win Juryo - I definitely want to see whether he's still got it in Makuuchi. 

Meanwhile...

Hakuho has broke his silence - see this Facebook post by a known associate of Hokuseiho's, courtesy of @lukesanbou. Interestingly, the message is in English - perhaps to fly under the radar of the Kyokai? Aren't kyujo rikishi supposed to be silent, especially during honbasho, or is the situation so special that they'll just waive it? Is it even appropriate to send a message via an associate of your deshi? 

ErmbbSpVEAQdfTz?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edit: Yup, its' verified by this new article by Hochi News (Via Yahoo News). Hakuho is now at home. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, nagora said:

I actually think Midorifuji lost that match. It was very close but I think I would have given it to Hoshoryu after watching the replays a couple of times. I think his back hit the ground after Midorifuji's face and arm.

I would have given the benefit of the doubt to Midorifuji as the aggressor. It was a beautiful kimarite to behold. The man has skills. However, today (day 4) I would say Hoshoryu got robbed. He movement was faster than the naked eye, or the shim pans’ eyes, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed seeing Tochinoshin grunt his way to a hard fought victory, all old-school like, as if it was 2018 all over again or something. Glad no veins in his legs exploded.

Edited by since_94
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The channel that streams from BS on live (till NHK cuts it), now has the first 4 days, BS complete, day 1 and 2 also makuuchi complete, day 3 nearly. Day 2 was blocked by NHK and now is available still. (I expect the channel to be gone tomorrow)

For complete Abema (day 1 only makuuchi): search.bilibili?keyword=大相撲LIVE 初場所

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yutakayama looking good this basho. Sukuinage yesterday, sotokage today.. is he turning into a technician?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another loss for Takakeisho.  Wow. I don't think it's his weight though. His conditioning does not look good. Soft.

Glad to see Yutakayama pull that win out but the fancy moves aren't his thing. If he's doing that it's because it was a last ditch effort and he isn't getting a good  tachi-ai.

I think Shodai is the favorite at this point but it's looking like another hiramaku yusho, if we get to the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, since_94 said:

I would have given the benefit of the doubt to Midorifuji as the aggressor. It was a beautiful kimarite to behold. The man has skills. However, today (day 4) I would say Hoshoryu got robbed. He movement was faster than the naked eye, or the shim pans’ eyes, anyway.

I was of the same mind on seeing it full speed, but the replay showed quite clearly that his foot was fully out before he even launched the throw, let alone finished it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, nagora said:

I actually think Midorifuji lost that match. It was very close but I think I would have given it to Hoshoryu after watching the replays a couple of times. I think his back hit the ground after Midorifuji's face and arm.

To be honest, I thought so, as well, but apparently the two shinpan were dozing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it a shini-tai case though? It doesn't matter if Hoshoryu hit the ground afterwards if his position was irrecoverable and Midorifuji was the one executing the move.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now