Seiyashi

2021 "Kozumo" Hatsu Basho discussion thread

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

Hokutofuji proving Sumo is a tough way to make a living ... his nose hit Takakeisho's head multiple times (Sigh...)

It was the second headbutt of four that did it, and he then kept fighting for about another ten seconds. Hokutofuji is fractionally less skilled than the other top rikishi but he has better wind and a better chin which keeps him in the hunt. And endless fighting spirit. Top Man 

• Like 2

Despite the obvious disappointments, there has been alot of entertaining matches. Diaisho fighting on his tip toes alla Abi. Nice comeback from Terinofuji and Onosho looking sharp finally. 

Nice Day.

But for me Hoshoryu-Midorifuji should have been at least a mono-ii

In the Video it looks like Midori touches the ground first

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:
  Hide contents

Who thinks Takakeisho will withdraw from this tournament (going from tsuna-run to kadoban)?  Who thinks Asanoyama will lose his Ozeki status in this tournament?  Who thinks Midorifuji will get a Special Prize this tournament? ...  Who thinks Kiribayama should have be awarded Rookie of 2020 rather than Kotoshoho?  Asking for a friend.

Yes, I think Takakeisho will withdraw from this tournament - he collapsed on his knee today and just seemed out of breath. He might choose to cut his losses and then take the additional time to lose weight/rest/heal his injuries - it is a reasonable course of action. I do not think Asanoyama will lose his Ozeki status, or, if he does, I believe he will get 10 wins in Haru. Kitanofuji did say today that out of the three small rikishi (Ura, Enho and Midorifuji), Midorifuji is the best. Well, to me, Ura is still the best, having gotten to sanyaku and having the best mix of body and technique. To me, Midorifuji is the most physically strong and capable of the three and Enho is the most naturally talented and charismatic (which is important for drawing newcomers to sumo and growing the sport), though he has had substantial problems with injury and his weight as of late, though I can see this clearing up with his free basho. Talent isn't everything. If Midorifuji gets >9 wins (ala Tobizaru), I can definitely see him winning a sansho. However, if we are having this conversation, I felt that Kitanofuji left out people like Terutsuyoshi, Ishiura, etc. But of course, of all-time small rikishi (<175cm), I think few would dispute Mainoumi as the best (though I dislike his style of commentary). And no, I feel Kotoshoho should have been Rookie of 2020, as others have already reasoned. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 2

Is it just me, or does Takakeisho not use his left paw as he did in the last tournament, or have his first three opponents found a way to stay away from it ?

38 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

Is it just me, or does Takakeisho not use his left paw as he did in the last tournament, or have his first three opponents found a way to stay away from it ?

I saw him try it today with little effect. He's just not blasting anybody as usual. I hope its a yusho hangover, but I'm worried about his health. He's gassed so quickly, I hope its not his heart. 

i am wondering what happens, if the basho is cancelled

does takakaishos tsunatori continue as there was no basho?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pitinosato said:

Nice Day.

But for me Hoshoryu-Midorifuji should have been at least a mono-ii

In the Video it looks like Midori touches the ground first

I agree. I could see giving it to Midorifuji if Hoshoryu was off his feet or on the way out but neither of those were true.

I got talking on FB to my childhood sweetheart who I haven't seen for 27 years and completely forgot about the sumo. Where are my priorities?

That was a cracking day of action. Several standout bouts for me from the hiramaku: Hoshoryu-Midorifuji, Yutakayama-Akua, Meisei-Tobizaru, Endo-Ryuden, Kotoshoho-Tamawashi.

Special mention to Onosho for owning another aite at the tachiai - how good is he looking this basho? 

Headlines go to Daiesho for his hat-trick clinching one-sided win over Shodai. What a nodowa! Three days, three Ozeki. Prize surely secured already if he gets his KK.

And what incredible endurance and power from Hokotufuji to drive Takakeisho back like that and to take a blood-letting harite to the face and remain composed. Excellent stuff.

Even Mitakeumi was good today!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Kitanofuji did say today that out of the three small rikishi (Ura, Enho and Midorifuji), Midorifuji is the best.  

Heey what about our salt-thrower? He's with the big boys now?

If TKO loses tomorrow he'll tie the worst tsuna run (0-4 after ozeki yusho)... Wonder if he'll go kyujo. Hokutofuji as always was fighting like he's a permanent kanto-sho winner every basho!

Did Oshiwashi just win, on the belt??

1 hour ago, Gernobono said:

i am wondering what happens, if the basho is cancelled

does takakaishos tsunatori continue as there was no basho?

A day or two ago, that would have been a clear 'yes, of course', but it's arguable now. A cancellation with this basho's records disregarded almost lets him off the hook. It allows him to reset at no cost, despite him seemingly out of the yusho race. Even if he somehow does win it, it'd be an underwhelming championship. But then, I think the alternative is worse, so I still say yes, it will continue and hatsu will just be written off. Counting a basho that's cancelled at this point would be pretty unfair. There are too few results to justify making a banzuke with, so the same argument would apply to any other banzuke topics, inc a rope run.

Edited by Eikokurai

17 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

A day or two ago, that would have been a clear 'yes, of course', but it's arguable now. A cancellation with this basho's records disregarded almost lets him off the hook. It allows him to reset at no cost, despite him seemingly out of the yusho race. Even if he somehow does win it, it'd be an underwhelming championship. But then, I think the alternative is worse, so I still say yes, it will continue and hatsu will just be written off. Counting a basho that's cancelled at this point would be pretty unfair. There are too few results to justify making a banzuke with, so the same argument would apply to any other banzuke topics, inc a rope run.

Yes, if they cancel I think he is right back on the run. The only thing that will count is the kensho money they won.

That being said I think the only thing that stops this basho is if one of the sekitori tests positive for Covid durign the basho. With talk of new strains spreading and an increased infection rate the kyokai are looking at the strong possibility they will have to cancel in March. they will do anything they can to get this basho in.

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

In my opinion, yes, should Hatsu be cancelled halfway, all results, including Takakeisho's, will be invalidated and he'll be given a second chance. It's not just that there is massive Japanese appetite for a homegrown Yokozuna, but because they'd probably have to treat everyone equally. However, even if it were so, Takakeisho's tsuna run chances are even lower than this basho. Shodai and Asanoyama would be in better physical condition. Daieisho's Ozeki dreams are still active. The joi is starting to look more menacing by the bout. And unless we're saying that Hakuho is so incapacitated and crippled by his illness he can no longer perform, he's going to be there. Kakuryu might just take care of him too. If Takakeisho couldn't become yokozuna without any yokozuna present and two semi-present, kadoban Ozeki, he couldn't become one under any circumstances in my opinion (at least in his current state). He's going to have to rework his body or think of new strategies. 

Though I do find the silence about Hakuho's condition a little worrying - I hope it's just that he is so isolated that getting to the media is difficult/just resting. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 1

Blam! Poor Hokutofuji. This isn't the first time he's a bloody mess on the dohyo.

5e2MYtX.jpg

MI3WZM1.jpg

A quick wipe later:

W9nVKnx.jpg

Edited by dada78641

4 hours ago, Morty said:

It was the second headbutt of four that did it, and he then kept fighting for about another ten seconds. Hokutofuji is fractionally less skilled than the other top rikishi but he has better wind and a better chin which keeps him in the hunt. And endless fighting spirit. Top Man 

I don’t know. The blood didn’t start pouring out after the headbutts. Takakeisho body was clean then.

what changed was a right hand slap before Hokutofuji buried his face in Takakeisho’s chest after the second tawara escape/pirouette.

49 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Now THAT is an ippon!

Niiiiiice! I thought it was a variant of the kimarite (omote = front), but it's the name of the guy!

• Like 1

What about Akiseyama! Today he completely annihilated Sadanoumi and stays atop the leaderboard. Tomorrow co-leader Midorifuji, who has lost three in a row to Akiseyama...

5 hours ago, Philioyamfugi said:

I saw him try it today with little effect. He's just not blasting anybody as usual. I hope its a yusho hangover, but I'm worried about his health. He's gassed so quickly, I hope its not his heart. 

I watched his Day 2 bout over again and noted that his aite seemed to push right a little to deny that left-hand thrust across that often puts people off balance for Takakeisho.  Perhaps it was a bit of circumstance, perhaps on purpose.  Who knows.

Day 3 he had things working pretty well against a game opponent.  Just couldn't finish.  We'll see him move on and I've got him winning on Day 4.

20 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Midorifuji - zensho yusho?

Stranger things have already happened in 2021...

No, they haven't.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, since_94 said:

I made exactly the same observation, aloud, to encourage Hokutofuji: "He's gassed! He's gassed! You've got him!". He was clearly done for once the bout went beyond ten seconds, which seems to be the pattern. He's just not Yokozuna material. Sorry.

Other standout bouts included Midorifuji taking care of Hoshoryu with witashikomi, although seeing him faceplant like that was a bit worrying. His bout are really fun to watch.

I actually think Midorifuji lost that match. It was very close but I think I would have given it to Hoshoryu after watching the replays a couple of times. I think his back hit the ground after Midorifuji's face and arm.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Kitanofuji did say today that out of the three small rikishi (Ura, Enho and Midorifuji), Midorifuji is the best. Well, to me, Ura is still the best, having gotten to sanyaku and having the best mix of body and technique. To me, Midorifuji is the most physically strong and capable of the three and Enho is the most naturally talented and charismatic (which is important for drawing newcomers to sumo and growing the sport), though he has had substantial problems with injury and his weight as of late

IMO, Midorifuji uses his small frame mot efficiently & effectively.  Enho's style lends itself to injury like that of Ura a few years back.  Ura III (after two major hiatus) appears to be fighting in a more conventional way.  That bodes well for his remaining career.   It would be nice to see all the small rikishi in one basho and duke it out including Ishura, Terutsuyoshi, Tobizaru, Kotoeko.  

• Like 1