ChiTownDude

Who Is This Woman?

7 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

So none of you are concerned by the fact that there is a spy amongst us... (Scratchingchin...)

If there is only one Impostor among us, I like our odds. But personally, I think you're all kinda sus. 

2 hours ago, Benevolance said:
10 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

So none of you are concerned by the fact that there is a spy amongst us... (Scratchingchin...)

If there is only one Impostor among us, I like our odds. But personally, I think you're all kinda sus. 

Maybe you are the spy and you don't even know it. I've seen The Manchurian Candidate (1962 version obviously).

Oh crikey, we are all going mad from boredom and it's still two and a half weeks till banzuke day.

• Like 2

She's back, in a bright white spring dress and brand new spot, just right of gyoji on the TV screen. 

Sumo may now commence. 

It has changed dresses/colors a few times this basho.  No one can possibly sit perfectly still for over 3 hours doing nothing but turning the head and clapping the hands.  It has to be a new brand of robot.  B-)  Has anyone noticed whether they carry her in or out?  

Edited by Asojima
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Asojima said:

It has changed dresses/colors a few times this basho.  No one can possibly sit perfectly still for over 3 hours doing nothing but turning the head and clapping the hands.  It has to be a new brand of robot.  B-)  Has anyone noticed whether they carry her in or out?  

Among other things, either she's using a seiza stool or she's really, REALLY, good.

NB might I mention how much your profile pic freaked me out because I thought there was an actual spider on my monitor?

Today, the situation down in the tamariseki section was intense!  As @Kaninoyama has pointed out, the "tamariseki fairy" has changed seats for this tournament.  My guess is that she was getting a little too much attention in her old seat on the east end.  But if she were really not interested in getting the exposure, she would arrange for a seat on another side of the ring away from television cameras (there seem to be quite a few empty seats even in the tamariseki zone).  

Given what was on display today, I'd say there was a clear desire for attention coming from certain ticket holders! 

Directly behind the "tamariseki fairy" was a middle-aged woman wearing what looked to be an evening gown, sleeveless on the left and off the shoulder.  Not only was it a brave(?) choice (by Japanese standards) but it was also completely out of place for a sumo tournament!  It was as if she was purposely trying to steal attention away from the social-media phenom sitting in front of her.  But by the time the Top Division bouts rolled around, she was wearing a shawl to cover her expose left side.  She must have been advised to cover up or received social media comments that were critical.

Meanwhile over in or adjacent to the seat that the "tamariseki fairy" had occupied for 2-3 tournaments, sat Kuroyanagi Tetsuko (a Japanese female television celebrity with a signature giant coif) which also created quite a stir in the streaming chatrooms.

It was like a Battle Royale on and off the ring!

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

As @Kaninoyama has pointed out, the "tamariseki fairy" has changed seats for this tournament.  My guess is that she was getting a little too much attention in her old seat on the east end.  But if she were really not interested in getting the exposure, she would arrange for a seat on another side of the ring away from television cameras (there seem to be empty seat even in the tamariseki zone).  

This is no real Tokyo basho, the members of the tamarikai only have seats for the 3 Tokyo basho, for this basho the Osaka tozaikai members should have the best tamariseki. Maybe the relative from whom she gets the tickets is a member there as well, but with a less prominent seat. Tamariseki were on sale this basho, she sits more in the back, where the seats on sale may be located.

In Corona times, the tamarikai/tozaikai members mostly won't have their ordinary seats anyway.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 23:03, Asojima said:

She arrives daily at about the MS30 timeframe.  She walks in wearing a light gray coat, sits, discards the coat and goes immobile for 4 hours.  See her arrival at about 9:50 in mt fuji Day 8  .

Edited by Asojima

It has been reported elsewhere that she sometimes takes what may be a pee break immediately following the makuuchi dohyo-iri.

51 minutes ago, Asojima said:

It has been reported elsewhere that she sometimes takes what may be a pee break immediately following the makuuchi dohyo-iri.

This is getting a bit creepy that someone else somewhere - maybe a journo - is effectively stalking a private citizen over an issue of minor celebrity.

Is it a sense of repulsion that people are tracking her bathroom breaks?

29 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

Is it a sense of repulsion that people are tracking her bathroom breaks?

It is known that she takes an occasional break.  The purpose of that break is pure speculation.  B-)

On 30/03/2021 at 02:30, Asojima said:

It is known that she takes an occasional break.  The purpose of that break is pure speculation.  B-)

I was shocked when I turned on the TV during the Dohyo-iri and she wasn't sitting at her usual perch. Then she returned and the world was right again. 

• Haha 1

In honour of the return of fans to the Kokugikan stadium, we can now officially revive this thread.  There have already been a few posts about the mystery woman in the Natsu basho 2021 thread, but it makes sense to group related observations in one place.

Those who watched the NHK broadcast (on mbovo) will no doubt have spotted the fan-favourite fan making her appearance right after Abi's bout.  NHK's cameras caught her walking to her 2020 seat ringside, squat, place something down (small seiza cushion?), and spreading her skirt over said item.  What really caught my eye was her well-trained modesty.  She moved a large paper bag in front of her knees as a visual shield before lifting her knees to tuck her skirt under them.

Her attention to etiquette is impeccable.  

The chatroom(s) went wild when she made her appearance.  Sometimes I don't know if viewers watch sumo for the sumo or for PP as she is sometimes referred to...

• Like 1

In her position, sooner or later she will have an outgoing rikishi land in her lap.  Will she be rigid enough to stop his movement?

48 minutes ago, Asojima said:

In her position, sooner or later she will have an outgoing rikishi land in her lap.  Will she be rigid enough to stop his movement?

Maybe the two skunks in your current avatar could ward off any "outgoing rikishi"! ;-)

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

In honour of the return of fans to the Kokugikan stadium, we can now officially revive this thread.  There have already been a few posts about the mystery woman in the Natsu basho 2021 thread, but it makes sense to group related observations in one place.

Those who watched the NHK broadcast (on mbovo) will no doubt have spotted the fan-favourite fan making her appearance right after Abi's bout.  NHK's cameras caught her walking to her 2020 seat ringside, squat, place something down (small seiza cushion?), and spreading her skirt over said item.  What really caught my eye was her well-trained modesty.  She moved a large paper bag in front of her knees as a visual shield before lifting her knees to tuck her skirt under them.

Her attention to etiquette is impeccable.  

The chatroom(s) went wild when she made her appearance.  Sometimes I don't know if viewers watch sumo for the sumo or for PP as she is sometimes referred to...

I wonder what PP could stand for...

35 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Not seeing any emojis, I'm going to assume that you may not know PP stands for "Posture Princess". 

• Thanks 1

Also glad to see her back in her rightful position at the far left corner. Better to appreciate her her impeccable posture as the rikishi walk past her after their bouts. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Amamaniac said:
15 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Not seeing any emojis, I'm going to assume that you may not know PP stands for "Posture Princess". 

Amazingly, you could make an alliterative version of this in Japanese as well - 品格姫 - hinkaku-hime - loosely translated as Dignity Princess.

On 12/05/2021 at 18:23, Asojima said:

In one of the streaming chatrooms today, the following view was expressed:

"Our theory is that she's always here because she's a ghost, stuck in the Kokugikan after being crushed to death by a falling rikishi."  

• Haha 2

So why wasn't she there the days before?  (Beinghypocrite...)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

So why wasn't she there the days before?  (Beinghypocrite...)

Believe it or not, the theory states that she is confined to the dohyo itself and has to be summoned.  

I can't believe how much global attention is being diverted to this "spectral" being.  She definitely has a higher profile than Olympic Ojisan ever had.  

On Day 5, was she wearing a black turtleneck (or, at least a black blouse) and a white blazer, front row?

The sumo was good on Day 5, so I really didn't apply much attention to watching the fans.