ChiTownDude

Who Is This Woman?

On 23/11/2020 at 01:18, Jakusotsu said:

Come to think of it, I wonder what happened to the burly bald guy who always sat several rows behind the gyoji in the Kokugikan wearing striped sweaters. @sashimaru and I affectionately called him pullover man.

Okay, yeah. The lady is great. But I'm with @Jakusotsu here. My crew called that guy Charlie Brown, because, well, he looked like a grown up Charlie Brown at 240p livestream quality. And when my friends came over to watch sumo, we had an informal pool where we'd wear a sweater on senshuraku, and whoever had a sweater closest in colour and pattern to Charlie Brown won the cash. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't know what it says about me that I find the idea of a generic crowd-watching thread way more comfortable than one dedicated to a particular person.

On 17/01/2021 at 23:50, Churaumi said:

I don't know what it says about me that I find the idea of a generic crowd-watching thread way more comfortable than one dedicated to a particular person.

same here, especially now that the mystery is solved

1 hour ago, Totorofuji said:

same here, especially now that the mystery is solved

Scrolling through the awful commentary of that forum makes me grateful for this one. 

As for the woman, other than knowing what she looks like (which we would have known already had it not been for masks), she still remains a mystery otherwise.

And I agree we should rename this thread "Audience Celebs" and make it about all of the characters we regularly see on our TVs and at the arenas. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

Seriously. I was likewise shocked to think that people sink to Reddit to discuss Sumo. I can only imagine the “discourse” that transpires there. <<Shudder>>The horror. The horror.

59 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Scrolling through the awful commentary of that forum makes me grateful for this one. 

As for the woman, other than knowing what she looks like (which we would have known already had it not been for masks), she still remains a mystery otherwise.

And I agree we should rename this thread "Audience Celebs" and make it about all of the characters we regularly see on our TVs and at the arenas. 

I didn't even know that particular forum existed. I don't mean to be a snob, but I wouldn't say that what they are writing is commentary per se, mostly just a very surface-level description and personal reaction of what happened. 

Speaking of audience celebrities, my favourite audience celebrity was Naotoshi Yamada, best remembered as Olympic Ojisan. He has sadly passed on, without ever fulfilling his dream of seeing the 2020 Olympics, but perhaps it will not materialise after all - he might have been disappointed with the news but hey, at least he might not miss anything. 

50 minutes ago, since_94 said:

Seriously. I was likewise shocked to think that people sink to Reddit to discuss Sumo. I can only imagine the “discourse” that transpires there. <<Shudder>>The horror. The horror.

The discussion on Reddit is not as bad as you might think. Most people are curious and respectful, and there are moderators policing the subreddit who work very hard, as is custom on most subreddits. It's just that they might not be as deep into the sport and thus their discussion might seem more vapid and insipid than the usual offerings on this forum. Some will get here eventually... 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Japan's News Post Seven, a gossip site, secured an exclusive interview with stalked down "The Woman" outside Ryogoku Station.

-Asked if she could be interviewed since she had become a topic of interest among sumo fans, she replied, "I'm just an ordinary person (so I'd rather not)." 

-Asked which heya she is a booster of, she replied: "Not me, my family."

-Asked is she could say which rikishi she is a fan of, she again replied, ""I'm just an ordinary person (so don't ask me questions)."

With that, she boarded a taxi and drove off into the night.  

Afterward,  someone connected with the Kyokai added: "She's the daughter of a tanimachi of an oyakata from Nishonoseki Ichimon. That's all I can say." 

The Article (in Japanese)

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On video, I've seen her in the crowd during the lower division bouts, so she is certainly tenacious!

43 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

On video, I've seen her in the crowd during the lower division bouts, so she is certainly tenacious!

Checking the early NHK BS broadcast, it's 2:00 and she's at her perch, from which she will not flinch for the next four hours. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

I decided to check out the 2018 Kyushu last day photos mentioned by Amamaniac earlier in this topic. Here are four photos that could have the mystery lady in them. She, of course, is on the left side of the photo in white. What do you all think? 

1.thumb.jpg.7c73382b594b06683cc0f96c753b4506.jpg2.thumb.jpg.5cc93889e8b6727caa77bca6b3cb7507.jpg3.jpg.b0c18984cebbbf8f190c5eec86044ecf.jpg4.jpg.e1fa696e18b637fdc66043567e5bb14e.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

I decided to check out the 2018 Kyushu last day photos mentioned by Amamaniac earlier in this topic. Here are four photos that could have the mystery lady in them. She, of course, is on the left side of the photo in white. What do you all think? 

Those are exactly the photos I was referring to!  (Don't forget to credit the amazing job that @Akinomaki does for us each and every tournament.). I am 100% convinced that the variously named "princess/lady/fairy" is pictured on the far left.  Of course, the current mask protocol makes positive ID somewhat difficult.

I wanted to post or link them, but I have no clue how to attach images that exceed the maximum or links to other threads on this forum.  Sigh.  But thanks for going to the trouble.  Seems as though we are getting closer to unraveling the mystery.  (Detective...)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

(Don't forget to credit the amazing job that @Akinomaki does for us each and every tournament.). I am 100% convinced that the variously named "princess/lady/fairy" is pictured on the far left.  Of course, the current mask protocol makes positive ID somewhat difficult.

I wanted to post or link them, but I have no clue how to attach images that exceed the maximum or links to other threads on this forum.  Sigh.  But thanks for going to the trouble.  Seems as though we are getting closer to unraveling the mystery.  (Detective...)

You are right! I did forget to credit @Akinomaki for getting the photos for every day of the tournaments. Akinomaki does a great job.  

As for the photos, I downloaded those four and saved them so I could upload them again. I really do believe that those photos are of the mystery lady. As I and others have suspected, she is older than she appears. She looks much younger with the mask. @Kaninoyama posted an interview and it is obvious that she does not want any attention. With a full house it would be harder to notice her but being by herself, close to the dohyo, she really stands out. I hope everyone will leave her alone, enjoy the mystery and let her enjoy the sumo.  

5 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

@Kaninoyama posted an interview and it is obvious that she does not want any attention. With a full house it would be harder to notice her but being by herself, close to the dohyo, she really stands out. I hope everyone will leave her alone, enjoy the mystery and let her enjoy the sumo.  

I am sure others are aware of the rather off-colour attention she seems to be getting in streaming chatrooms.  Fortunately, the mods censor all the distasteful remarks.  No human being would want that kind of attention!  Frankly it is the bane of social media that so many people misuse it.

That said, there are plenty of breaks in the action on the dohyo for fans to examine who is in the "stands".  Having had the great good fortune to attend a couple of days at the oozumo Mecca (including the dreaded 5am line up for advanced tickets), I have always been interested in knowing who manages to get the "good seats".  As Akinomaki pointed out earlier in this thread, those ringside seats are reserved for ijiin and tamarikai members.  But that doesn't really provide a picture of who these privileged people are.  I'm just a little curious (and super envious!).  

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

As I and others have suspected, she is older than she appears

How many twenty-five year olds would have the patience to sit seiza-style for four hours?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

How many twenty-five year olds would have the patience to sit seiza-style for four hours?

Or the endurance. Most young'uns these days in Japan can't even do the seiza like their elders. 

I myself usually have to tap out after about two minutes. To think that she sat unflinching day after day for more than six hours, I think she should also get a special prize. The seiza-sho?

• Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Or the endurance. Most young'uns these days in Japan can't even do the seiza like their elders. 

I myself usually have to tap out after about two minutes. To think that she sat unflinching day after day for more than six hours, I think she should also get a special prize. The seiza-sho?

I'm out of reactions; you get a (Laughing...) for now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

How many 25 year olds even watch sumo any more.... :-(

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Kishinoyama said:

How many 25 year olds even watch sumo any more.... :-(

More than you might think. In recent years there's been a boom of young Japanese female sumo fans, and they even have a nickname: Suu-jyo (スー女) .

8 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

More than you might think. In recent years there's been a boom of young Japanese female sumo fans, and they even have a nickname: Suu-jyo (スー女) .

This is true but the same thing happen during the Taka-Waka era. I am afraid that most of them will get bored, flitter away and move on to something else. I hope that I am wrong.

Edited by Kishinoyama
Left out a word....
  • Like 1

On 21/01/2021 at 16:25, since_94 said:

That was unquestionably not a reddit thread. That was a 4Chan thread. Never go to 4Chan. Never.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

The mystery surrounding this well-mannered female sumo fan seems to have reached the point where Japanese netizens are becoming aware of the growing interest overseas (even Sumo Forum is appearing in Japanese blogs)...

https://blog.goo.ne.jp/hatamasao_1942/e/3436217543d6af7f912602f2416d573a?fm=entry_awc

So none of you are concerned by the fact that there is a spy amongst us... (Scratchingchin...)

Edited by pricklypomegranate

4 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

So none of you are concerned by the fact that there is a spy amongst us... (Scratchingchin...)

Quite the opposite -- we have Social Media Influencers® working for us!

Maybe some day one of the Kyokai heads will say," Uh, my niece says everybody's reading this English sumo site; she thinks we should put out more Sumo stuff in other languages.  I dunno, maybe we should have a meeting to talk about it properly."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2