ChiTownDude

Who Is This Woman?

During the broadcasts of this Kyushu Basho (from Kogugikan) I noticed this woman sitting alone in one of the Tamari-seki seats. Adjacent to the east side wrestler entrance. 

I believe she’s been there every day.  Very nicely attired.  Wondering if anyone knows any more?

B0CA5F02-701F-4B55-ABD0-712138D18924.jpeg

Great. This forum turning into a dating portal... What's next?

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

59 minutes ago, ChiTownDude said:

During the broadcasts of this Kyushu Basho (from Kogugikan) I noticed this woman sitting alone in one of the Tamari-seki seats. Adjacent to the east side wrestler entrance. 

There has been speculation on this over the years.  In the past, the west corner seat was the one occupied, but the corona seating has probably made a much more prominent east corner location better.  The lady is sometimes referred to as the camera candy.  The predominant theory is that a promoter/talent agent acquires the seat and then places an attractive client there to be caught on-camera as the rikishi come and go.  It may be an audition of sorts.  This basho had one lady there for all 15 days.  Other bashos have had alternate ladies for 2-3 days.

In the past, she has been surrounded by other fans and was barely visible.  This time, she was much more isolated, and had enough space to spread her attire and stand out from the crowd.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

The lizard people of NSK & NHK reading and following our wishes and advise?

7 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

He did mention her attire. Maybe he wants to buy the dress?

11 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Puhleeze.  It’s just a question.  

• Haha 1

Wasn’t this woman highlighted on one of the broadcasts? Or maybe one of the videos on YT?

There was some speculation that she is the daughter of a tanimachi who is a supplement company owner who is frequently in attendance at the Kokugikan, but apparently that daughter is in the hospital and this is a different person. 

Japanese social media has also been frenetically trying to discover her identity, but without success. 

Her ability to sit rock still in seiza for hours on end is impressive even by Japanese standards. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 3

Is this the woman John Gunning tweeted about people trying to get him to dox?

Edited by Churaumi
I'm on his side, btw
  • Thanks 1

I left a Facebook sumo group because there seemed to be a daily post about her. I’m into sumo, not sumo fans. They way the poor lady has been talked about on other forums is a little too much. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Churaumi said:

Is this the woman John Gunning tweeted about people trying to get him to dox?

It probably is the same person. I know their was several threads of discussion on a sumo Facebook page about this particular lady and the moderators put a stop to it. At first the moderators allowed only one thread and then they shut that thread down. Stalking and creepiness were the reasons for the shutdown. 

Ah yes. On the Twitch stream she's called Princess Posture. I think it's a funny, fitting and respectful name. If she's sitting on the tanimachi that close, she (or her family) has probably got wealth enough to qualify her as a princess. Then there's this lady with the very colourful hair whom I'm told only shows up in Tokyo. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 2

In the good old days of the Ustream sumo coverage which had some wider screen coverage, the ladies were more visible.  They would be generally relaxed until there was a chance that NHK might swing their camera to pick up an arriving or departing rikishi. They would then switch to full pose mode.  They were programmed to react to the NHK cameras.  We were not quite sure what the purpose of their appearance might be.  They were there to impress someone. Just one of those weird things like the olympic ojisan or the Fukuoka geishas that you pick up in the crowd if you are bored.

Edited by Asojima
  • Haha 1

Come to think of it, I wonder what happened to the burly bald guy who always sat several rows behind the gyoji in the Kokugikan wearing striped sweaters. @sashimaru and I affectionately called him pullover man.

It's Takanohana in a disguise. The man just cant live far of the dohyo. And yes, his diet realy works. (Noddingyes...)

• Haha 5

What about the woman that attends the Osaka basho each year, always in a kimono, sitting just right of center a couple rows back?

I miss Olympic ojisan, he of the gold sparkly top hat and the hand fan with the red rising sun on it. Always sat in the same seat, and it was hard to miss him. I used to love seeing how excited he would get for some bouts, as revealed by his body language.  He was a fixture on TV coverage for as long as I can remember, so the first time I ever clapped eyes on the man himself inside the Kokugikan, it felt like a celebrity sighting. I once saw him shuffling by the venue after the bouts had finished one evening. He was by himself and I had an urge to go and say hello. I didn’t, owing to my almost total lack of Japanese beyond sumo terminology. Regret not taking advantage of the opportunity to this day. RIP Mr. Yamada.

Edited by since_94
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Jabbamaru said:

It's Takanohana in a disguise. The man just cant live far of the dohyo. And yes, his diet realy works. (Noddingyes...)

That can't be takonohana, she isn't wearing a scarf....

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 22/11/2020 at 23:15, Eikokurai said:

Wasn’t this woman highlighted on one of the broadcasts? Or maybe one of the videos on YT?

NattoSumo highlighted her on a couple of his videos and referred to her as the 'elegant lady' - which isn't at all creepy or stalker-ish in my book.

I've always quite enjoyed a bit of crowd watching, as have many here. We haven't seen 'bad wig guy' this year with any of his 'daughters/nieces'; elegant-couple-of-rows-back-just-right-of-centre-elegant-Osaka-lady was unable to make an appearance; and red-streak-hair-cougar-next-to-west-side-hanamichi hasn't been present in Tokyo, so it was nice to have someone to speculate about again.

1 hour ago, since_94 said:

I miss Olympic ojisan, he of the gold sparkly top hat and the hand fan with the red rising sun on it. Always sat in the same seat, and it was hard to miss him.

Which is all the more amazing since he allegedly never had a ticket for it.

IMHO, she looks like the woman who was frequently sitting in the Mukomen tamariseki during the 2018 Kyushu basho, which Takakeisho won.  She even got invited(?) to be in the shitakubeya group photo with Takakeisho and his supporters.  I believe she was also in the stands during the 2019 Kyushu basho.  And the fact that the 2020 Kyushu basho was held in Tokyo rather than Fukuoka did not deter her from being present yet again.  Her choice of seat guaranteed that she would be in the background whenever Takakeisho mounted the ring, and even when he was giving his yusho interview!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amamaniac said:

IMHO, she looks like the woman who was frequently sitting in the Mukomen tamariseki during the 2018 Kyushu basho, which Takakeisho won.  She even got invited(?) to be in the shitakubeya group photo with Takakeisho and his supporters.  I believe she was also in the stands during the 2019 Kyushu basho.  And the fact that the 2020 Kyushu basho was held in Tokyo rather than Fukuoka did not deter her from being present yet again.  Her choice of seat guaranteed that she would be in the background whenever Takakeisho mounted the ring, and even when he was giving his yusho interview!

Could it be his wife in disguise?! (Scratchingchin...)

(The 2018 timeline appears to rule it out, since Takakeisho only met his wife in February. That, and the other Kyushu-related indicia...)

On 24/11/2020 at 13:18, Seiyashi said:

(The 2018 timeline appears to rule it out, since Takakeisho only met his wife in February. That, and the other Kyushu-related indicia...)

Definitely not his "fiancée/secretly-wed wife"!  

His now wife is a former model (born in Hokkaido and daughter of Hokutenyu) and significantly more attractive IMHO.

Edited by Amamaniac

3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Could it be his wife in disguise?! (Scratchingchin...)

This is so great! I'm in the middle of a bona fide conspiracy nerd group!  My mind's eye sees the next step ... "I've combed Japanese social media for pictures of the fiancee' and used a facial recognition algorithm from my tech company, and there is only a 14.22% chance that the Tamari-seki woman is his fiancee', so I think that's out!" ( pushes his eyeglasses up on the bridge of his nose).

• Like 1