ChiTownDude

Who Is This Woman?

This thread walks a fine line regarding some of the best advice I have ever received.

"Don't be creepy."

• Like 8

She has reached her objective.  She now has people all over the world wanting to know who she is and what she does.  :-)

If only Andy Warhol was still here to do a portrait of her...

6 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Could it be his wife in disguise?! (Scratchingchin...)

(The 2018 timeline appears to rule it out, since Takakeisho only met his wife in February. That, and the other Kyushu-related indicia...)

Maybe she's been followng him for a while, laying in wait...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

If only Andy Warhol was still here to do a portrait of her...

Someone on Reddit already did:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, since_94 said:

I miss Olympic ojisan, he of the gold sparkly top hat and the hand fan with the red rising sun on it. Always sat in the same seat, and it was hard to miss him. I used to love seeing how excited he would get for some bouts, as revealed by his body language.  He was a fixture on TV coverage for as long as I can remember, so the first time I ever clapped eyes on the man himself inside the Kokugikan, it felt like a celebrity sighting. I once saw him shuffling by the venue after the bouts had finished one evening. He was by himself and I had an urge to go and say hello. I didn’t, owing to my almost total lack of Japanese beyond sumo terminology. Regret not taking advantage of the opportunity to this day. RIP Mr. Yamada.

Yeah I met him one time, he had two guys in suits with him, he gave me a bunch of stickers of himself! I got a box for my in laws and on the way out I was in the crowd with him trying to get out. I miss just seeing him in the crowd, it's not the same! 

18 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

NattoSumo highlighted her on a couple of his videos and referred to her as the 'elegant lady' - which isn't at all creepy or stalker-ish in my book.

I've always quite enjoyed a bit of crowd watching, as have many here. We haven't seen 'bad wig guy' this year with any of his 'daughters/nieces'; elegant-couple-of-rows-back-just-right-of-centre-elegant-Osaka-lady was unable to make an appearance; and red-streak-hair-cougar-next-to-west-side-hanamichi hasn't been present in Tokyo, so it was nice to have someone to speculate about again.

This. Crowd watching is absolutely part of the fun of the sumo experience. I always look forward to Pei and Paako the pink husband and wife comedy duo's appearance. They happened to be there the day I attended this past January, but I haven't seen them since. 

This past basho, there was another interesting looking character, long blond hair and colorfully dressed, sitting almost every day in Olympic Ojisan's old spot TV front and center in the masu-seki. I learned that he is the wealthy publisher of a Japanese pro wrestling magazine. 

16 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

IMHO, she looks like the woman who was frequently sitting in the Mukomen tamariseki during the 2018 Kyushu basho, which Takakeisho won.  She even got invited(?) to be in the shitakubeya group photo with Takakeisho and his supporters.  I believe she was also in the stands during the 2019 Kyushu basho.  And the fact that the 2020 Kyushu basho was held in Tokyo rather than Fukuoka did not deter her from being present yet again.  Her choice of seat guaranteed that she would be in the background whenever Takakeisho mounted the ring, and even when he was giving his yusho interview!

Interesting. Though for someone there just for Takakeisho, as far as I know she was in attendance every day even for the earlier matches. 

It's just occurred to me that the pandemic situation has inadvertently created a new game: Identify the Spectator.

---

I'm fairly sure my old knees would not let me get into seiza now. However, I know that even when I could, I definitely wouldn't have been able to get up again after several hours in that position. Most spectators don't sit like that, but our mysterious/elegant lady does. She is either employed to set a pristine example of Japanese femininity (in a spot where she's in view most of the time to TV viewers and close-ups on the prestigious east side also include her) or she's a koenkai member with a bit of an OCD thing about setting a pristine example of Japanese femininity. 

---

I don't really care who she is. I don't want to know where she lives. But if saying I think she's nice to look at makes me a creep, then I'm a creep. Snowflakes crying about it ain't gonna change my mind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Interesting. Though for someone there just for Takakeisho, as far as I know she was in attendance every day even for the earlier matches. 

Indeed.  She was in the same ~"front row" seat (or should I say "spot"?) every day of the November tourney wearing a different dress and sporting a different handbag.  If she is from Fukuoka, and she felt compelled to attend the November Tournament in Tokyo (normally held in Fukuoka), then presumably she would stay for the whole 15 days and attend each day.  The curious thing is, she never made any special reaction when Takakeisho was actually around or on the dohyo.  She treated each wrestler the same, i.e., with polite yet awkward robot claps.  So I can only conclude that she is something of a suujo with a lot of cash (or rich husband) and free time,  ;-)  But I still feel her choice of "seat" was strategic...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Indeed.  She was in the same ~"front row" seat (or should I say "spot"?) every day of the November tourney wearing a different dress and sporting a different handbag.  If she is from Fukuoka, and she felt compelled to attend the November Tournament in Tokyo (normally held in Fukuoka), then presumably she would stay for the whole 15 days and attend each day.  The curious thing is, she never made any special reaction when Takakeisho was actually around or on the dohyo.  She treated each wrestler the same, i.e., with polite yet awkward robot claps.  So I can only conclude that she is something of a suujo with a lot of cash (or rich husband) and free time,  ;-)  But I still feel her choice of "seat" was strategic... 

There is no choice of seat for tamari-seki. They appear to be fix once you manage to become a iji-in/tamari-kai member, in for one who leaves. This time there not even was a choice of seat for the masu-seki - the NSK decided, where - in the seat category one picked - one would sit. If she is from Fukuoka, she or the one she is related to, is a member of that tamarikai. Last Tokyo basho the S seats went to the iji-in, this time with again a few tamari-seki, it was likely a select few of the Kyushu tamarikai who got them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On the topic of the tamari-seki, surely some seats amongst those are prone to actual injury - if shimpan can be injured by falling (or dame-oshied) rikishi, so can spectators. Have there been any cases of spectators actually injured by rikishi?

Edited by Seiyashi

The (dark humor) joke in our house is the very elderly people sit around the dohyo because those tickets are cheaper than the trip to Switzerland.

It might be interesting when the crowd does return ringside if the rikishi will have gotten used to the extra room. Seems more of them go running, flying, or rolling off the dohyo now. Didn't used to see rikishi running all the way to the box seats.

Edited by Churaumi
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Churaumi said:

It might be interesting when the crowd does return ringside if the rikishi will have gotten used to the extra room. Seems more of them go running, flying, or rolling off the dohyo now. Didn't used to see rikishi running all the way to the box seats.

I'm not sure if significantly more go flying off (and how many of those are attributable to Tobizaru), but I contend the reason they go further is just because there's simply a lot less people in the way.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I'm not sure if significantly more go flying off (and how many of those are attributable to Tobizaru), but I contend the reason they go further is just because there's simply a lot less people in the way.

Well...yeah. it'll be interesting to see if they keep doing it when there are people in the way. Also, I know there are some serious number-crunching stat hounds around here. I wonder if having the extra running room has affected injury rates at all? Seems safer to run off the dohyo into the box seats unimpeded rather than trying to stop themselves from crushing someone's great-grandfather.

Edited by Churaumi
Sorry for derailing the stalkery thread
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I completely agree. The inertia does its thing if there's nothing in the way.

Seeing someone like Ichinojo or Kaisei trying not to land on a tiny grandma sat in the front row always added a little frisson to proceedings for me. Damn this virus.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

She treated each wrestler the same, i.e., with polite yet awkward robot claps.  

I noticed she specifically didn't clap when a rikishi won after using a henka. 

8 hours ago, Morty said:

I noticed she specifically didn't clap when a rikishi won after using a henka. 

I respect her restraint. I don’t clap for them either. Unless they’re done on Chiyoshoma.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

She is back!!  (or at least someone who looks like her)

• Haha 2

On 10/01/2021 at 08:00, Asojima said:

She is back!!  (or at least someone who looks like her)

You mean "looks like her, dresses like her, accessorises like her, sits like her, behaves like her ..."  

Spoiler

It's her.

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

You mean "looks like her, dresses like her, accessorises like her, sits like her, behaves like her ..."  

Hide contents

It's her.

This is how you end up with an identical twin in jail for crimes they didn't commit (Laughing...)

• Haha 1