x77x

the Dark Side of Hakuho....

At the Jan 2015 Basho, Hakuho was very angry that a torinaoshi was called on his bout with Kisenosato.  The next morning, he stated, "Even a child could see that I won".  The shimpan were outraged.  Here are the 2 bouts starting at 3:45. 

• Like 1

love it... keep um coming i forgot about some of these =P

i dont think anyone else could get away with the stuff he does

Edited by x77x

I forget which match, but Hakuho threw one of opponents off the ring, and he landed on Izutsu so hard that he broke a bone

9 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

I forget which match, but Hakuho threw one of opponents off the ring, and he landed on Izutsu so hard that he broke a bone

***************** You are correct.  I have edited my comment that I thought it was Harumafuji who did it.  https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/03/21/sumo/basho-reports/yokozuna-hakuho-apologizes-for-reckless-act-after-warning/#.WhMs0U2Wzop

Edited by sumojoann

6 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

I may be wrong but I thought that was Harumafuji who did that.

Found it on Wikipedia. It also involved Yoshikaze

2 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Found it on Wikipedia. It also involved Yoshikaze

You are correct.  (See my edited comment above).  In 2 of the videos I posted, that particular bout is shown.  Hakuho didn't hesitate and he didn't hold back.  The bone that was broken was the femur and the Oyakata was out for 3 months.

3 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

You are correct.  (See my edited comment above).  In 2 of the videos I posted, that particular bout is shown.  Hakuho didn't hesitate and he didn't hold back.  The bone that was broken was the femur and the Oyakata was out for 3 months.

Yes I remember this was just adding fuel onto the fire from his critics.

That one bout with Tochiozan, with a brace of random neko-damashi & harite combos that ended with the absolute polar opposite of hinkaku: one of the biggest bully smirks I've ever seen while condescendingly slapping his aite's chest.

I have been able to find and post Youtube videos for almost all of Hakuho's controversial behavior that I can think of with two exceptions.  (Also, I haven't posted  the large number of bouts involving extra shoves) .  There was one bout that occurred RIGHT AFTER his bout so he was sitting ringside.  During this bout, he apparently saw something that the gyoji and shimpan missed.  He raised his hand to stop the bout which many people felt was improper for a wrestler to do.  It was determined later that though rare, this was not a violation of the rules.  If I recall correctly, one of the wrestlers had stepped out without it being noticed, and the bout officially ended a few seconds later with the wrong wrestler awarded the win.  As a result of Hakuho raising his hand, a monoii was called which ruled in favor of the other wrestler (so the gyoji's decision was overturned).  And I believe it was in Hakuho's self-interest that the win be overturned because that wrestler's win/loss score was perilously close to his. 

A video of the other incident would probably be easier to find.  I believe it was within the last 3 years and it, once again, involved Yoshikaze.  When Hakuho defeated Yoshikaze, I believe Yoshikaze was sort of on all-fours.  Hakuho reached down, put his hand under Yoshikaze's chin and lifted his face upward as if Yoshikaze were a dog.  Yoshikaze looked humiliated.

I'm sure hoping I'm remembering these correctly.  If anyone finds these videos, please post them.

29 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

I have been able to find and post Youtube videos for almost all of Hakuho's controversial behavior that I can think of with two exceptions.  (Also, I haven't posted  the large number of bouts involving extra shoves) .  There was one bout that occurred RIGHT AFTER his bout so he was sitting ringside.  During this bout, he apparently saw something that the gyoji and shimpan missed.  He raised his hand to stop the bout which many people felt was improper for a wrestler to do.  It was determined later that though rare, this was not a violation of the rules.  If I recall correctly, one of the wrestlers had stepped out without it being noticed, and the bout officially ended a few seconds later with the wrong wrestler awarded the win.  As a result of Hakuho raising his hand, a monoii was called which ruled in favor of the other wrestler (so the gyoji's decision was overturned).  And I believe it was in Hakuho's self-interest that the win be overturned because that wrestler's win/loss score was perilously close to his. 

A video of the other incident would probably be easier to find.  I believe it was within the last 3 years and it, once again, involved Yoshikaze.  When Hakuho defeated Yoshikaze, I believe Yoshikaze was sort of on all-fours.  Hakuho reached down, put his hand under Yoshikaze's chin and lifted his face upward as if Yoshikaze were a dog.  Yoshikaze looked humiliated.

I'm sure hoping I'm remembering these correctly.  If anyone finds these videos, please post them.

I think I saw that one too. It was in a Kakuryu bout, when his opponent illegaly gripped his chonmage and Hakuho saw that correctly and raised his hand. After review the call was overturned and Kakuryu was awarded the win! 

Edit: Found it! It was May 2014, Day 12 Kakuryu vs Goeido.

You can clearly see Goeido gripping Kakuryu's top knot at 2:43!

Great call by the GOAT, gonna make one hell of a shimpan when he becomes Hakuho Oyakata ;-)

Edited by Hakuryuho
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hakuryuho said:
17 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

I think I saw that one too. It was in a Kakuryu bout, when his opponent illegaly gripped his chonmage and Hakuho saw that correctly and raised his hand. After review the call was overturned and Kakuryu was awarded the win! 

I don't know if it's the same bout, but there was one involving Harumafuji. Hakuho's called mono-ii reversed the bout in Harumafuji's favour for hairpull as well, I think, and Harumafuji as shin-yokozuna was desperately in need of that win.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I don't know if it's the same bout, but there was one involving Harumafuji. Hakuho's called mono-ii reversed the bout in Harumafuji's favour for hairpull as well, I think, and Harumafuji as shin-yokozuna was desperately in need of that win.

Interesting! Don't remember that bout. Do you know what year that bout was?

I meant the Kakuryu v Goeido bout, found the video to that bout and included it in my previous comment.

8 minutes ago, Hakuryuho said:

Interesting! Don't remember that bout. Do you know what year that bout was?

I meant the Kakuryu v Goeido bout, found the video to that bout and included it in my previous comment.

My bad. I mixed up Kakuryu and Harumafuji; we were talking about the same bout after all.

On 21/11/2020 at 05:52, Tigerboy1966 said:

Let's go back almost exactly three years to Wednesday 22 November 2017 (that's Saint Cecilia's day for Catholics and Foo Fighters fans). Hakuho looks to be cruising to zensho yusho when he is pitted against sekiwake Yoshikaze on day 11. The match starts but Hakuho stops wrestling and Yoshi bulls him out and off the dohyo in about 2 seconds. Surely that should have been a matta? Hak glares at the gyoji, then raises his hand as if to signal mono-ii. He stands there for an ice age, switching his glare back and forth between the gyoji and the shimpan. He raises his hand again. The crowd are lapping it up. The officials are having none of it. Eventually he climbs back onto the dohyo, but gives one last mono-ii signal, before inclining his head a millimeter to the side, which is taken for a bow. It was the most graceless exhibition I've ever seen in sumo.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hakuryuho said:

Edit: Found it! It was May 2014, Day 12 Kakuryu vs Goeido.

You can clearly see Goeido gripping Kakuryu's top knot at 2:43!

Great call by the GOAT, gonna make one hell of a shimpan when he becomes Hakuho Oyakata ;-)

He's not only named after a large bird, he also has eyes like one. Goeido is definitely in my Top 10 Ozeki, but he got disqualified too many times for my liking. 

17 hours ago, nelimw said:

Well, everyone's seen the infamous match, but fewer are aware of what happened the day after. In this video, here's what Yoshikaze had to say: 

"The Yokozuna comes at a certain time on Sundays, but, when I came to the Kokugikan the next day, he seemed to have arrived early. As he passed me, he smacked his lips like a reprimand, "Tsk tsk tsk..." I was scheduled for the musubi-mae match, so after I was done I was waiting to bath. As the Yokozuna was having his hair washed, his tsukebito approached me and told me to get into the bath with the Yokozuna. I decided I had better not refuse. The Yokozuna said, "Hey, strong wrestler. I was called earlier to the shimpan department. They asserted you won fair and square and that I should have accepted it. I got reprimanded." [Yoshikaze imitated Hakuho's sonorous but always vaguely threatening voice]. Therefore, I thought, "Aha! That's why he came early!"". 

Note that the tone Yoshikaze said this implied that he felt the Yokozuna had cooled down and had second thoughts. Of course, I initially felt that Hakuho was trying to acknowledge the issue without apologising (the dreaded non-apology apology), but Yoshikaze's interpretation in my opinion should be privileged above all others in this scenario. It does demonstrate the duality of Hakuho - he is following Japanese tradition of the senior never apologising to the junior, but also breaking it by clearly addressing the issue. I think that's why he's always been allowed to continue (beyond his record-breaking performances) - demonstrating an anti-hero sort of personality. Hakuho gave Yoshikaze a horrendous time, but I hope they have made up - they seemed to after the former showed up for the Hakuho cup (something Kisenosato never did in his active career). It is my deepest wish they do not carry this conflict over during their oyakata careers. Despite his recent lawsuits and family struggles (perhaps already happening when the matta event happened), Yoshikaze in my opinion still remains one of the most mentally resilient and spirited rikishi. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2