Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Gagamaru retired

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:
On 18/11/2020 at 13:31, rzombie1988 said:

About 4 years too late.

He has been an embarrassment for years that seemingly only got by on size, just like Aoiyama. You watch him and you would think he is wrestling on a sheet of ice with how much trouble he has not falling over.

If people like him and Aoiyama put in even half the effort as their contemporaries, they would have dominated the sport.

Aoiyama is far from a favorite of mine, but not a basho goes by when NHK announcers, Mainoumi usually, don't comment that he is one of the hardest workers during keiko sessions. 

Not everyone can be Hakuho. This may just be the best these two were able to do given their respective talent levels. 

Edited 9 minutes ago by Kaninoyama

No feeding...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

No feeding...

Aoiyama is 6'3 and over 400lbs. Nobody should be able to move him, yet he has gone makekoshi in 8 of his last 12 basho's and has 28 makekoshi's to his name.

Atleast with an Enho or an Ura, you can blame their results on size. But there's just no excuse for a guy not to do well who almost always has the height, weight and reach advantage.

I also rarely see Aoiyama try to do anything but win matches through force or size. There's over 50 some ways to win matches, yet I only see him stick with 3 or so.

Are you seriously going to tell me that you see Aoiyama give 110% effort night in and night out and do everything he can to win?

 

Edited by rzombie1988

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, rzombie1988 said:

Aoiyama is 6'3 and over 400lbs. Nobody should be able to move him, yet he has gone makekoshi in 8 of his last 12 basho's and has 28 makekoshi's to his name.

Atleast with an Enho or an Ura, you can blame their results on size. But there's just no excuse for a guy not to do well who almost always has the height, weight and reach advantage.

I also rarely see Aoiyama try to do anything but win matches through force or size. There's over 50 some ways to win matches, yet I only see him stick with 3 or so.

 

He was lighter when he started (150 kg) and slightly more of a belt man, but evolved his techniques as he reached Makuuchi.

Comparing wins by yorikiri + -taoshi vs oshidashi + -taoshi vs hatakikomi + hikiotoshi over three year spans:

Span                Y            O               H

2009-2011    28           21             10          (Mz through Juryo)

2012-2014    15           41             43         (Maegashira to Sekiwake)

2015 -2017     7           30             37         (mostly upper M)

2018-2020      7            34            51         (mostly lower M)

His approach has clearly shifted as his mobility has decreased.  Incidentally, other than a weakness against tsukiotoshi, his losing kimarite are pretty standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big F for the career of Gagamaru.

As for Aoiyama, I think it might be time to start planning an exit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Halian said:

Big F for the career of Gagamaru.

A little harsh.  Foreign rikishi who had the culture shock of Ozumo.  He reached Komosubi, which only 25% of sekitori have done since HD 2000.  Did he get fat with bad knees?  Yes, like many.  Career-wise, I'd give him a B-.

As for Aoiyama, see my post above.  Also too fat and high center of mass, but still can show power; he just doesn't have more than one weapon anymore.  The banzuke will tell him when to exit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

A little harsh.  Foreign rikishi who had the culture shock of Ozumo.  He reached Komosubi, which only 25% of sekitori have done since HD 2000.  Did he get fat with bad knees?  Yes, like many.  Career-wise, I'd give him a B-.

As for Aoiyama, see my post above.  Also too fat and high center of mass, but still can show power; he just doesn't have more than one weapon anymore.  The banzuke will tell him when to exit.

"Press F to pay respects".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

A little harsh.  Foreign rikishi who had the culture shock of Ozumo.  He reached Komosubi, which only 25% of sekitori have done since HD 2000.  Did he get fat with bad knees?  Yes, like many.  Career-wise, I'd give him a B-.

As for Aoiyama, see my post above.  Also too fat and high center of mass, but still can show power; he just doesn't have more than one weapon anymore.  The banzuke will tell him when to exit.

There was nobody stopping Aoiyama and Gagamaru from dropping some weight except themselves. When your career is affected by your weight, I think it is something you should take a little more seriously.

16 of 33 current Maegashira have reached Komosubi not counting the 9 current K/S/O/Y ranks. That's almost half of all Maegashira. If you have a good basho around the M4 level, there's a good chance you will get to Komosubi.

Getting to Komosubi and staying at Komosubi are two very different things. Gaga had 1 tournament at that rank. Aoiyama hit the rank 3 times, but each time he only lasted a single tournament.

Edited by rzombie1988

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or in Gagamaru's case, a very good tournament at M10 level. A typical one tournament fluke komusubi, but he also had a jun-yusho, two sansho and a kinboshi.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no expert, but I find it very weird that the merits of Gagamaru's career are discussed. He certainly wasn't a favorite of mine, but the guy had 59 basho as sekitori. 59! And he spent 10 years as a salaried rikishi, that's pretty damn succesful if you ask me. Add to that the added difficulty of coming from a totally different cultural , his achievements command a high level of respect. He also had 1 Jun-Yusho, 2 Kanto-Sho and  Kinboshi. Pretty impressive stuff. Perhaps he had the potential to achieve even more, perhaps not. As it stands, his career was great.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kaioshoryu said:

I'm no expert, but I find it very weird that the merits of Gagamaru's career are discussed. He certainly wasn't a favorite of mine, but the guy had 59 basho as sekitori. 59! And he spent 10 years as a salaried rikishi, that's pretty damn succesful if you ask me. Add to that the added difficulty of coming from a totally different cultural , his achievements command a high level of respect. He also had 1 Jun-Yusho, 2 Kanto-Sho and  Kinboshi. Pretty impressive stuff. Perhaps he had the potential to achieve even more, perhaps not. As it stands, his career was great.

/thead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this