Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Gagamaru retired

Always seemed like a good guy, I hope he carries on with his ozeki run. 

• Haha 1

Been around forever, it seems like. Made his Juryo debut in November 2009 if I’m not mistaken. Whupped a lot of butts since then, took some whuppins, too. Respect for Gagamaru. Seems a jovial sort when he doesn’t have his game face on.

Reason for his retirement suggested by Herutto (on Twitter) to coincide with his 3rd maezumo win in November 2005. Retiring today allows him to cap 15 full years as a rikishi.

EDIT - independent verification - he had a 3-1 record at Mz with his final win coming on Day 6 of the Kyushu 2005 basho - Nov 18 2005.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Results.aspx?b=200511&d=6

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi_basho.aspx?r=6572&b=200511

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

What was the nature of the injury that was bad enough to keep him out for a whole year?

1 minute ago, ryafuji said:

What was the nature of the injury that was bad enough to keep him out for a whole year?

Knees - Chris Gould spoke to him at Kise's post-basho party last year and the knees were what were going.

• Thanks 1

Gagamaru's online intai press conference will be tomorrow, on the 18th

EnAZNshXMAcH7CB.jpg:thumbo 4.jpgo 20201117-OHT1I50184-N.jpgo 202011170000519-w200_0.jpgo 20201117-OHT1I50366-N.jpgo EnBwHqOVgAAsLlG.jpg:thumbo a1d26b2d26b9ea4e042d1b49bc7c8395-379x450.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

I remember his interview after his kinboshi win over Harumafuji, the man was ecstatic 

• Like 1

About 4 years too late.

He has been an embarrassment for years that seemingly only got by on size, just like Aoiyama. You watch him and you would think he is wrestling on a sheet of ice with how much trouble he has not falling over.

If people like him and Aoiyama put in even half the effort as their contemporaries, they would have dominated the sport.

Edited by rzombie1988
  • Like 1

At the intai press conference today, Gagamaru said that it was a joyful time in sumo, the best 15 years of life. The knees won't heal and in discussion with the oyakata, he decided to retire. He wants to stay in Japan, learn a variety of things to use for a new life in society, and also do something using what he learned in sumo. As his top bouts he named the win against Baruto Aki 2011 and Natsu 2015 the kinboshi from Harumafuji.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20201118/k10012718651000.html

https://hochi.news/articles/20201118-OHT1T50156.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I hope that Gaga will be successful now that his time on the dohyo is over and I am sad to see his ozeki run finally come to an end.

You will be missed big guy. (Happygoodbyes...)

18 hours ago, yohcun said:

If he plans to transition into a metal career, he has my support.

Must be a baby nearby that needed some good luck ;-)

Gagamaru was a funny one--I somehow found him loveable yet also surly and dislikable at the same time! I  think he was a nice guy, but sometimes was a bit of a scowling grouch on the dohyo. 

His retirement opens up a foreigner spot at the collegiate-loving Kise stable--there are 2 standout foreigners on the college scene right now (Yersin from Nihon University, Delgerbayar from Nittaidai), both in their final year and both with tsukedashi qualifications, so the stable could have the chance to quickly replace him with a very strong prospect.

Edited by Katooshu

I'd never think I'd say this, but a younger Gagamaru with zanbara is surprisingly hot.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Haha 1

Man....

Gaga and Giku at the same time is to much for me...

(Carriedawayonastretcher...)

Sayonara Gagasan (Bow...)