Asashosakari

Promotion/Demotion and Yusho discussion November 2020

On 30/11/2020 at 16:32, Kyokufuji said:

This pun is so bad (good?) that I don’t even read Japanese and I understand it.

Source: https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/column/sumo/news/202012030000921.html

Ōho's name being somewhat a pun has been confirmed. See he and Otake Oyakata's comments:

Ōho (former Naya): "I wanted to inherit my grandfather's name "Taiho", but I can't use it as it was an Oyakata name. When I was little and saw Grandpa's sumo, I thought it was very cool. It's still very cool. I am glad for the attention [and asked frequently about my grandfather] I do my best to not be arrogant and treat it like it's no big deal." 

Otake Oyakata: "I gave a similar name - the "o" instead of "dai". 

Aha! That must be why they don't want to make more ichidai toshiyori.  It would cause a gradual depletion of the pool of names available for wrestlers.  It might matter in 20,000 years you know.

21 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Aha! That must be why they don't want to make more ichidai toshiyori.  It would cause a gradual depletion of the pool of names available for wrestlers.  It might matter in 20,000 years you know.

To be fair though, using a name that was ichidai toshiyori is probably more of a curse than a blessing. The weight of expectation is going to be massive. I pity the next Hakuho unless that guy can win 66 titles or something.