Akinomaki

Non-K-November basho 2020 Discussion (spoiler space)

3 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

[Ura!] I think he will stay in Juryo, but his Makuuchi return might be some time yet. His sumo doesn't look Terunofuji return kind of convincing... 

[Enho?] Looks like my prediction that Enho will sink to Juryo is coming through, but I share Murray's opinion that if he gets 5 wins he still can stay afloat in Makuuchi. Did anybody read Mainoumi's perspective on the issue? I don't agree with Mainoumi sometimes, but it was very nice to see Enho's hero show solidarity and empathy for his current slump. Indeed, I share his opinion that Enho has no appropriate training partners - Hakuho is too strong, and Ishiura is not representative of what he will face. I hope that Hakuho finds some average sized deshi - he really needs to diversify. More than getting back to at least his 98kg weight, Enho needs to regain his confidence and his sumo sense. It would be so sad to see him drop off. Please make it happen, Master White. 

Ura does not appear to be in his Makuuchi form yet.  The guy had two major injuries and I am not sure he will ever return to his peak.  KK in this basho will be a good result.  I am guessing he'd end up with a 9-5 record.

Enho has been figured out.  The ball is in Enho's court.  He needs to come up with new ways to beat the bigger opponents which may not be easy.  I see him going up and down the Makuuchi and Juryo divisions provided that he stays healthy.  The way he has been beaten, I am afraid he will get injured sooner than later.  

Abi kyujo and Geek retires which opens up 2 slots for Juryo now. Naya is now 4-0 so we will finally see the first of the Taiho grandkids as a sekitori for 2021.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, just_some_guy said:

Speaking of, has Ryuden given anything quote-wise as to why he's been twerking on the dohyo? It seems to be bringing him luck. Perhaps it causes his opponents' minds to wander...

Watch this magnificent creature doing the mating dance. By shaking his bum he tries to lure the most beautiful of the possible okamisan watching him into his nest.

• Haha 5

Ryuden didn't get enough tachiai twerks in today, and thus loses to Akua. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

That's the first time I've seen a forearm nodowa. Nevertheless, Tochinoshin makes it work with his strength and that right ottsuke. Endo had no play whatsoever.

43 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Watch this magnificent creature doing the mating dance. By shaking his bum he tries to lure the most beautiful of the possible okamisan watching him into his nest.

Maybe he is trying to entice the camera candy lady dressed in white on the east corner.  i don't think she has missed a day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Asojima said:

The current Sadagotake still has about 13 years to go before retirement.  Kotoshogiku might eventually acquire the kabu, but if he wants to be a shisho, he will have to start elsewhere.  In 13 years, there may well be another Koto.....  in line for the kabu.

In 13 years that sounds about right for the current Kotonowaka to take over. Expect to see a Hidenoyama-beya soon, since ex-ozeki are expected to open up their own stables.

Mitakeumi has tried tournaemnt after tournament to reach ozeki but it does not seems that he is able to reach that position. I don't think he will get to Ozeki otherwhise he would have done this already

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

Ura does not appear to be in his Makuuchi form yet.  The guy had two major injuries and I am not sure he will ever return to his peak.  KK in this basho will be a good result.  I am guessing he'd end up with a 9-5 record.

Enho has been figured out.  The ball is in Enho's court.  He needs to come up with new ways to beat the bigger opponents which may not be easy.  I see him going up and down the Makuuchi and Juryo divisions provided that he stays healthy.  The way he has been beaten, I am afraid he will get injured sooner than later.  

I think that Enho need to do as his stablemaster says with starting using sweeping legs and in this way he would improve his sumo so that he can win

While everyone's talking about how dominating Terunofuji is this basho (other than today's mild scare against Wakatakakage), it doesn't seem like as many people are noticing Takakeisho's quieter dominance of his bouts. Takakeisho has never looked fazed in any of them except against Kiribayama who went for a quick grip, and he still managed to take him out. Considering Takakeisho has the easier fight card from here out and has a good record against Terunofuji, I feel he's much more likely to be the shoo-in for the yusho this time.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

He looks more similar to Kotomitsuki by the day. Hopefully he doesn´t take up gambling and mingling with Yakuza....

At least Kotomitsuki made it to ozeki.

11 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

While everyone's talking about how dominating Terunofuji is this basho (other than today's mild scare against Wakatakakage), it doesn't seem like as many people are noticing Takakeisho's quieter dominance of his bouts. Takakeisho has never looked fazed in any of them except against Kiribayama who went for a quick grip, and he still managed to take him out. Considering Takakeisho has the easier fight card from here out and has a good record against Terunofuji, I feel he's much more likely to be the shoo-in for the yusho this time.

That not-so-mild scare, imho, showed Terunofuji´s current limitations. It will be interesting to see if he continues winning his bouts before perhaps facing Takakeisho.

1 minute ago, Gospodin said:

That not-so-mild scare, imho, showed Terunofuji´s current limitations. It will be interesting to see if he continues winning his bouts before perhaps facing Takakeisho.

It could be charitably excused as a bad tactical choice to pull. If we see him do that again in the next few days then there may be cause to suspect injury or some other limitation as you suggest.

4 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

At least Kotomitsuki made it to ozeki.

Yes, under a new oyakata who probably gave him a stern lecture about focus, etc. Perhaps that´s what Mitakeumi needs.

3 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

It could be charitably excused as a bad tactical choice to pull. If we see him do that again in the next few days then there may be cause to suspect injury or some other limitation as you suggest.

By limitations I mean although Terunofuji has improved his footwork, he makes (or can make) little use of it, and still relies on brute force. I can´t imagine this will be sufficient to take the yusho, even with facing depleted sanyaku ranks.

It was the last time round, with arguably stiffer opposition on the way. I suspect all this boils down to how effectively you can cover your weaknesses and how in form you are compared to your opponents. The one rikishi I don't see Terunofuji winning against at all right now is Takakeisho, who is much better at capitalising on initiative from the get go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Exactly my thoughts. He masterfully blocked Okinoumi's arm today to prevent him from getting a grip on his mawashi while simultaneously pushing him backwards. 

We saw what happened when they both met last time around: Takakeisho manhandled Terunofuji by not allowing him to be anywhere near his belt and the same thing could very well happen on Day 15 or whenever they are going to meet. Takakeisho looks really, really good.

2 hours ago, Asojima said:

Maybe he is trying to entice the camera candy lady dressed in white on the east corner.  i don't think she has missed a day.

I don't think she ever misses a day of any Tokyo basho. She's just more prominent now that there are fewer people around her.

45 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

By limitations I mean although Terunofuji has improved his footwork, he makes (or can make) little use of it, and still relies on brute force. I can´t imagine this will be sufficient to take the yusho, even with facing depleted sanyaku ranks.

He just did two basho ago. 

7 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

[Jan 2021] ...is probably going to be highest stakes basho I am probably going to see in awhile. Yokozunas fighting for their career. Terunofuji fighting for Ozeki return (if he does well this basho) or Takakeisho on Yokozuna run. We will see... 

And two ozeki kadoban.

If anyone has a rational explanation for Kaisei's performance today against Shimanoumi I'd be most grateful. It looked bad live and even worse on the replay. Waving and waggling ones arms in the general direction of the opponent is not a recognised technique as far as I know.

1 minute ago, Kaninoyama said:

He just did two basho ago. 

This timehe faces all of the highest ranked, he didn´t in July.

3 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Abi kyujo and Geek retires which opens up 2 slots for Juryo now. Naya is now 4-0 so we will finally see the first of the Taiho grandkids as a sekitori for 2021.

At 0-7, J14e Fujiazuma looks to be on his way out, so perhaps we can count on at least 3 slots.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

At 0-7, J14e Fujiazuma looks to be on his way out, so perhaps we can count on at least 3 slots.

Nishikifuji (1-6, J13w) is also in serious bother