Akinomaki

Non-K-November basho 2020 Discussion (spoiler space)

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Gospodin said:

If he really wins, they should remove that M17 spot, like the 13th floor in hotels, just for different reasons...I´ll be having had enough then...

Jokes aside, is there something about being last-ranked in makuuchi - never mind the particular number - that seems to inspire its occupier more than his surroundings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I never noticed that rikishi who were ranked last put up significantly atypical performances in perspective of their skill, health and age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shimanoumi is on that winning streak which means I know what everyone is thinking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dapeng said:

Four top guys out. The virus is to be blamed. Will the rikishies be among the first group of people to have the vaccine?

They're out for injuries, not for coronavirus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggested on the Mbovo stream last night that a new T-shirt would appear in the Kokugikan shops commemorating Akua's achievement yesterday: on the front it says I THREW ICHINOJO, and on the back it says HE LANDED ON TOP OF ME.... 

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sue said:

They're out for injuries, not for coronavirus.

I think the argument is more that the virus restrictions are keeping them from getting adequate practice with other top-rankers through degeiko, which leads to the injuries. The closest thing they've had to degeiko since this started was that joint practice last month, and that was probably too far away from the basho to really be of use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fwuzzle23 said:

I think the argument is more that the virus restrictions are keeping them from getting adequate practice with other top-rankers through degeiko, which leads to the injuries. The closest thing they've had to degeiko since this started was that joint practice last month, and that was probably too far away from the basho to really be of use.

Eh, it's tailoring to the injuries that have occurred, but both yokozuna are out for career-accumulated injuries, and I fail to see how any amount of degeiko prevents contusions from headbutts or sprains from landing awkwardly from the dohyo. Unless you're suggesting Asanoyama visit Michinoku for some TLH from Kiribayama every morning...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

Yay we're back! Huge thanks to the admins and rescue team :-)

I was suspecting that the forum crash had something to do with Ryuden bouncing :-D

Ura sweet moves! Chiyonokuni is back! Shimanoumi on track for another M17 yusho! Whoa!

Perhaps more darkly, there is evidence that it's related to Takarafuji losing.  Why would they want to make a girl cry??

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My pre-basho M17 Shimanoumi yusho-hunt prediction remains on track.

As for Enho, in fairness to him, last basho he was dealing with a neck injury, which is not yet fully healed. Add an injury to the fact that he's regularly facing opponents literally more than twice his size, and it's predictable that things aren't going to be easy for him. 

 

Edited by Kaninoyama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, today is Friday 13th in 2020, which probably means half the rikishi going kyujo.

Edited by Eikokurai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ryafuji said:

 

That one’s a classic. No “rare kimarite” compilation video is complete without it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hokutofuji off to a good start. Usually he starts slow and plays catch up but a good 4-0 start only slowed down by Terunofuji. Hopefully he doesn’t let that stop him and can get back in the yusho race.
 

If I could pick someone to win because I want them to it’s be Chiyonokuni. But it’s looking like Terunofuji or Takakeisho at this point. But with the way the basho is going (or 2020 is going even) I wouldn’t be surprised if someone sitting in 2 losses pulls out the yusho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sue said:

They're out for injuries, not for coronavirus.

Lack of high level keiko because of the virus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Katsunorifuji said:

Hokutofuji off to a good start. Usually he starts slow and plays catch up but a good 4-0 start only slowed down by Terunofuji. Hopefully he doesn’t let that stop him and can get back in the yusho race.
 

If I could pick someone to win because I want them to it’s be Chiyonokuni. But it’s looking like Terunofuji or Takakeisho at this point. But with the way the basho is going (or 2020 is going even) I wouldn’t be surprised if someone sitting in 2 losses pulls out the yusho. 

I'm compiling a list of people who are as likely to pull out the yusho race as they are to pull out of the yusho race.  Almost everyone in contention so far, alas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Perhaps more darkly, there is evidence that it's related to Takarafuji losing.  Why would they want to make a girl cry??

The bounce surely created ripples in the force... I couldn't help laughing when I saw it. But yeah, Uncle Takara has been doing great. Hope he will keep it up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enho is being manhandled by everyone.  Poor guy.    He and Midorifuji may swap places in the next basho.  

It is looking like Terunofuji vs Takakeisho for the yusho.   The former will likely get the Ozeki rank back soon.  

Shodai must rest his ankle well instead of trying to come back too soon.  

Ura's izori win was replayed about 20 times so far (so it seems to me).  I am gonna see that move in my dreams now.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryuzen's new booty-shaking tachiai is tantalizing his opponents to the tune of a nice 5-1 start. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Ryuzen's new booty-shaking tachiai is tantalizing his opponents to the tune of a nice 5-1 start. 

Chiyoottori used to do it.   He looked like a yo-yo and that was not too bad.  Ryuden?  Ugh.

Terunofuji is dominating his opponents.  It is his basho.  

Edited by robnplunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of "playing with food" bouts today. Takarafuji and Daieisho, mainly.

Enho and Tobizaru have run themselves out of confidence. The former is probably destined for Juryo.

God knows what Kiribayama was thinking going for morozashi. Was he thinking Terunofuji wouldn't dare to kimedashi him for the sake of his knees? Unfortunately he's nowhere near heavy enough to stop the lift out.

Other than a mild scare by Kiribayama on Day 3, Takakeisho has looked in absolute control. The match of this basho will be Terunofuji v Takakeisho, if both stay healthy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With six wins now under his mawashi, M14 Chiyonokuni has probably already done enough to keep himself in Makuuchi at the first attempt. Even if he loses from here on out, he’d probably only drop to M16-17. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

With six wins now under his mawashi, M14 Chiyonokuni has probably already done enough to keep himself in Makuuchi at the first attempt. Even if he loses from here on out, he’d probably only drop to M16-17. 

First attempt?
You might be 8 years late

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gernobono said:

First attempt?
You might be 8 years late

I think he means first attempt back in makuuchi, not first attempt in makuuchi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

I think he means first attempt back in makuuchi, not first attempt in makuuchi.

Indeed. I assume a certain level of sumo knowledge among members of the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now