Akinomaki

Non-K-November basho 2020 Discussion (spoiler space)

3 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Enho does not look much larger and had an expected loss against Yutakayama - I hope he can win against Kaisei tomorrow and break the make-koshi curse. 

At least he's playing smarter this basho. A loss is a loss, but you could see hints of his more usual tricksy stuff like an attempted ashitori.

In a perfect world, Terunofuji and Asanoyama's performances should have been what they did last basho, not this.

Not a bad first day at all. Some fun bouts and mono-ii drama. No issues for me with the Shodai one. Everyone was focused on Waka’s arm but missed that his right shin was down a fraction earlier (also the tops of his toes which is technically a loss, though they are often more lenient in their application of that particular rule).

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

At least he's playing smarter this basho. A loss is a loss, but you could see hints of his more usual tricksy stuff like an attempted ashitori.

In a perfect world, Terunofuji and Asanoyama's performances should have been what they did last basho, not this.

Fully agree on Enho. He looks much more spry and displayed more fight than September or even July, but I think it might be awhile before we see a performance like January again. That was a nasty nosebleed he had there, and I hope it doesn't get him too down. He's got the brains and definitely has the heart and a wonderful personality, so I really do hope to see him successful. I would like him to get rid of the swamp coloured mawashi though - it is definitely cursed. The red just fleshes him out better, especially under the dim lights. If he gets 4 consecutive make-koshi, Hakuho would probably die of disappointment - no need for recommendations (Laughing...)

Also agree about Terunofuji. It was very masterful - the way he completely blocked any way to move against him or sideways on the tawara was excellent. If he keeps this up, he could definitely begin an ozeki run again, but those pesky knees. Let's not forget about Daieisho's furious performance against Takanosho as well. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Not a bad first day at all. Some fun bouts and mono-ii drama. No issues for me with the Shodai one. Everyone was focused on Waka’s arm but missed that his right shin was down a fraction earlier (also the tops of his toes which is technically a loss, though they are often more lenient in their application of that particular rule).

Shodai's probably today's luckiest escapee though. Always good to start a shin-X career with a win, and he would have been under a lot more pressure to win tomorrow had he lost today.

I thought Hoshoryu was 'toast' when Kaisei got that double belt grip. That was a great throw by Hoshoryu to win the match. 

Abema presented the list of 7 Waka day 1 yusho predictions so far, 4 of those went kyujo later on. Last time he picked Takakeisho, with Shodai as 2nd choice, so for the first time he was not totally wrong as usual.  He always begs to spare him the task to deliver his famous kiss of death to a contender - but that's what Abema pays him for: the fatal jinx went to Asanoyama.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

but that's what Abema pays him for: the fatal jinx went to Asanoyama.

Noooooo!!! There goes my pick for the yusho!

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Abema presented the list of 7 Waka day 1 yusho predictions so far, 4 of those went kyujo later on. Last time he picked Takakeisho, with Shodai as 2nd choice, so for the first time he was not totally wrong as usual.  He always begs to spare him the task to deliver his famous kiss of death to a contender - but that's what Abema pays him for: the fatal jinx went to Asanoyama.

The Mick Jagger of yusho predictor

27 minutes ago, The Fat Cyclist said:

Noooooo!!! There goes my pick for the yusho!

Don't worry.  Asanoyama has a self-jinx which will now be inverted by the Waka jinx, so he's a lock.  You just have to know how these things work!

[Wait, have I just re-jinxed him?  Hmm, I'll consult my textbook and get back to you.]

• Haha 1

My favorite match for day 1 was Tokushoryu vs Terutsuyoshi. The yusho wasn't taking any of Teru's shenanigans, and won the match with a huge shove of Teru to the clay by Tokushoryu. Kotoshoho got caught off guard by the veteran Takarafuji, while we had a great torinaoshi of Mitakeumi and Onosho. The ozeki get through on day 1, with Shodai barely getting it against Wakatakakage. Glad that Ura also got his win, looked solid too.

I think if Geek starts 0-3, he'll hang it up. Sad to see him go.

• Like 1

Rikishi chatter day 1:

Terunofuji, starting off well, beating Kagayaki : "I was able to hit well at the tachiai and got my left in so all I had to do was to advance. I'm not thinking about the fact that I'm back in sanyaku and this was my first win there after a long time. All I can do is do my best daily. The crowds are slowly getting larger. It makes it more exciting. My left knee injury (that caused him to go kyujo on day 13 last basho) is slowly healing," he said.

Asanoyama beat Kiribayama on day 1: "I managed to do my own brand of sumo. Last basho was last basho (when he lost his first three bouts). This basho is this basho. Last basho was frustrating. I'm going with the feeling that this time I'll get consecutive wins." He did not take part in the pre-basho Kyokai training camp. "I got ready for July and September at my own heya and did so this time as well. I need to show my strength during the basho!" he declared.

Makuuchi newcomer Akua lost his first match today to Chiyonokunishouma, and seemed to fall awkwardly. "I'm fine. I stretched my leg a bit (a surefire sign of kyujo, if you ask me..). Last basho I lost my first two bouts as well. I hope to recover and get a few consecutive wins and at least get a kachikoshi that will lead into the next basho.."

Tobizaru dropped his first match of the basho, losing to Okinoumi: "I've become famous. People call out to me in the streets! Regardless of the results, I would like to do forward-moving sumo. I didn't feel much difference from last basho. I was able to attack, but then I pulled.. I just want to concentrate deeply as i go about it!" 

Okinoumi, beating Tobizaru: "I was a bit stiff. It was our first meeting, it was day 1, I strongly felt the need to win. The fact that the seats around the dohyo were occupied after they were empty for a few bashos  was a bit stressful.. But the number of fans is increasing and that is the best. I want to gambarize and show some good stuff.."

Shoudai, last minute win over Wakatakakage: "I'm stiff. A long way to go. It is day 1 and my first bout as an Ozeki. I had a lot on my mind and my body did not move as I expected. I thought it would go as usual but as soon as I mounted the dohyo things were different. My feet didn't move well." He had his "yusho portrait hoisted to the ceiling" ceremony today as well. Every time he went for the salt, he could see it and it gave him a good feeling but may have weakened his concentration. "I was really happy, and was conscious of it.." he said. "I'll do my best not to repeat today's sumo. I was still able to win today nonetheless. If I can get my body moving, the quality of my sumo will be much better, I think," he summed. Kitanofuji TV commentator, seeing Shoudai smiling after his narrow escape today: " Nothing to laugh about, man!"

Takakeishou, getting his win on day 1, beating Takayasu: "I'd like to gambarize tomorrow as well and give it my all. With the increase of spectators, it felt much better on the dohyo and reminded me of the January basho and that gave me energy and I'm grateful for that. What I didn't feel with 2500 fans, I do feel this basho with 5000. No Yokozunae? I'm not thinking in banzuke terms- I just hope to show energized , vigorous and temperamental, youngish sumo!" he hummed.

Ura, back in business in Juryo, winning his first bout by cool okurinage: "I was a bit nervous. Before the basho, my goals were to be able to stay in Juryo and avoid injuries during the 15 days. I'm glad my sumo had a good flow today. I'm happy to have won on day 1, but I can't say anything until it's over. 14 days to go.. I have no reason to celebrate just because I won on day 1  and want to continue with this feeling," he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

19 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Makuuchi newcomer Akua lost his first match today to Chiyonokunishoma, and seemed to fall awkwardly.

fixed

More talk;

Kotonowaka, winning today: "I was able to go about it at my own pace and without giving it much thought. That was good."

Chiyonokuni, back in makuuchi after 9 bashos and a serious injury, and winning: "I'm glad I won. I was pushed back, so the quality was so-so.."

• Thanks 1

Hoshoryu got a very nice trip off.

Ryuden has been at the centre of two really good bouts so far this basho. There's life in the old guard yet.

Enho... I don't know what to say. Good to see he's doing his own sumo, bad to see it not working against Kaisei, which should be the classic type of opponent it works against. A few more losses like that and I'll be joining the bandwagon to say he's been figured out. And I seriously fear for his undercarriage with the way he keeps landing and falling backwards.

Very impressive tsuppari from Kotoshoho. He made it look effortless against the resident makuuchi master, Tamawashi.

Wheels coming off Tobizaru and Wakatakakage's sumo for a bit, but they have time and space to regroup.

Shodai and Takakeisho living up to their rank. Asanoyama... not so much. He needs to think a bit more with his sumo and not go in this blindly.

Edited by Seiyashi

17 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Enho... I don't know what to say. Good to see he's doing his own sumo, bad to see it not working against Kaisei, which should be the classic type of opponent it works against. A few more losses like that and I'll be joining the bandwagon to say he's been figured out. And I seriously fear for his undercarriage with the way he keeps landing and falling backwards.

My exact sentiment.

A healthy Terunofuji = next Ozeki.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

My exact sentiment.

A truly healthy Terunofuji (which we're unlikely to ever see) = next Yokozuna. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I'd be cheering for this too, but the more ozeki we get, the worse the yokozuna promotion logjam gets. I don't think Terunofuji will stay there long enough, but he definitely can play massive spoiler to any present and near-future ozeki looking to secure yokozuna promotion. If Asanoyama loses again tomorrow, that's him most likely out of the race, and we probably can thank a loss of confidence following losing to Terunofuji for that.

Based on performance so far, I'd rate Takakeisho and then Shodai to win it, but Terunofuji hasn't fought either of them yet. Might be another 13-2 basho.

Edited by Seiyashi

Comments about today's matches: 

Ikioi starting out with 2 wins. I am definitely rooting for him and he doesn't quite look finished yet. He still has a lot of fight in him. 

Hoshoryu delivered an inspired uchigake but Yutakayama looked slow to get up and if he doesn't last the full 15 days I wouldn't be surprised. 

23 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Oh dear, I think we spoke too soon, that was an INFURIATING hassatobi. If you watch the video again, I think he might have telegraphed that he was gonna leap to Kaisei with his body langauge. If Enho keeps up this embarrassing performance is straight to Juryo for him. And though I am a big fan, I think he's going to deserve it. Maybe its the swamp mawashi, or his general demeanour, but it felt like he was getting progressively stormier and I hope his disappointment and anger with himself and desperation doesn't cause him to completely lose control and botch the entire operation. It would be a more positive outcome if he takes this as motivation to focus more - or go to Hakuho for advice and solace, I don't know. The way he keeps flying out of the ring or landing backwards? Let me just say that Miyagino retiring in lesser than 2 years is very opportune. 

Kotoeko provided wonderful resistance against Meisei, Tamawashi get's Tamawashi'ed and very powerful charge against Kagayaki by Takayasu. Daieisho looked very dominant, and he and Okinoumi are my dark horses for my basho - I said Takakeisho (looking very good) and Asanoyama were my top picks, but Wakanohana's jinxed Asanoyama, so... 

Terunofuji is another opponent Asanoyama can't seem to beat. However, wasn't Asa's loss that scared me, but the fact that he was slow to get up - disappointment or injury? I sincerely hope its the former - if it is the latter there's serious chance he's going to aggravate it over the next 13 days. and it's goodbye tsuna run, at least for next few basho. 

The butterflies in the stomach are settling in early for me, and I have half a mind to just come back when everything blows over. I just barely got through the last basho. (Laughing...) That's what happens when there's a Nokozuna basho. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

23 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I was actually surprised when Chief Judge Takadagawa proclaimed in his monoii announcement that Wakatakakage's "ashi" (foot/leg, in this case toes) had turned over.  Like you say, the judges tend to overlook that technicality.  While I can't be sure, my impression is that this was the first time since I started following oozumo (~8 years) that "toes turning over" was the basis of a monoii decision.

13 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Oh dear, I think we spoke too soon, that was an INFURIATING hassatobi.

I'm in two minds whether to call it a hassotobi, because it's classically done over the opponent's head, but that's besides the point. What worries me more is that Kaisei knows to counter by landing hands on Enho when he's flying, using superior reach to block the attempted grab on the back of the mawashi. That completely shuts down any offense from Enho, because you have absolutely no purchase when you're doing a flying move like that.

I'll give Enho the benefit of the doubt here in trying too hard to do his own sumo, but a few more performances like that and he will need to do a fundamental rethink. Which is a pity, because yesterday's loss to Yutakayama really was nothing to worry about - it's to be expected when doing his type of sumo.

13 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

I just barely got through the last basho. (Laughing...)

You picked a bad time to majorly get into sumo then (Laughing...)

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:
28 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

The way he keeps flying out of the ring or landing backwards? Let me just say that Miyagino retiring in lesser than 2 years is very opportune. 

He might not meet the requirements to stay as elder by then. I don't think he has 10 makuuchi basho yet.

Oh dear, I think we spoke too soon, that was an INFURIATING hassatobi.

I'm in two minds whether to call it a hassotobi, because it's classically done over the opponent's head, but that's besides the point. What worries me more is that Kaisei knows to counter by landing hands on Enho when he's flying, using superior reach to block the attempted grab on the back of the mawashi. That completely shuts down any offense from Enho, because you have absolutely no purchase when you're doing a flying move like that. I'll give Enho the benefit of the doubt here in trying too hard to do his own sumo, but a few more performances like that and he will need to do a fundamental rethink.

I just barely got through the last basho. (Laughing...)

You picked a bad time to majorly get into sumo then (Laughing...)

This is actually Enho's 9th Makuuchi tournament.  It would be cruel and unusual if he were to drop out of the Top Division after this basho, never to return.  

But I still have faith that Enho's Makuuchi career will continue for as long as Mainoumi's Makuuchi career did.  That said, I am not, however, convinced that Enho will ever become an oyakata for Miyagino Stable or otherwise.  Somehow small (i.e., tiny) wrestlers don't inspire the commanding presence needed to run a stable IMHO.

Enho gambate ne!

Edited by Amamaniac

Rikishi chatter day 2:

Kotoekou, second win: "I was able to remain calm and do sumo. My body is moving well and my response is good. " He misses Kyushu and the local fans as he is a local as well. "Instead of getting the Kyushu crowd excited, I think it's up to us hometown boys to light up the dohyo!!" he exclaimed. 

Shoudai remains unbeaten: "Today, my legs followed after my initial charge. I was able to somehow improve on my bout from yesterday.  My body was a bit high, but I was thinking of lowering it in my head." His body was actually high, but his feeling of attacking made the content better.  He walked to the venue again today. "I plan on continuing this as long as it doesn't rain or my legs don't hurt ," he added.

Juryo Kotoshougiku got his first win of the basho today. "Yesterday's sumo was not good. From here it's a bout a day and I think the results will follow. I want to do the same thing every day. As for my condition, there's nothing much I can say - I just have to succeed with what i have.. Even though we're not in Kyushu, every time i mount the dohyo I feel the need to show my gratitude towards my fans. Doing my own sumo is more important to me than the results.."

Juryo Ura lost today to Chiyonoumi, tumbling off the dohyo. "I couldn't do a thing. It was a total loss. I have to somehow hold on for 15 days. I would like to gambarize a bout a day."

Back in sanyaku Takayasu got his first win today, beating Kagayaki quickly. "I was able to get a quick first step and move forward so that was good.. I lost on day 1 but I was able to turn things around with my sumo today. I'm loving the atmosphere and am able to do good sumo. I have goals (Ozeki return) and I'd like that to motivate me from tomorrow."

Takakeishou, beating Wakatakakage decisively: "I was able to concentrate and do my very best. All I can do is take it a bout a day. I'm able to go about it calmly and with concentration every day. The crowd gives me a lot of unseen power."

Tobizaru, second straight loss, this time to Hokutofuji: "My opponent was much better than me. I'm really not looking good. It's not that I'm in bad shape. I will bring out my strength!"

Terunofuji, second win, looking awesome: "Every time I mount the dohyo I do so with a lot of confidence. I'm glad I did well today. "

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4