Akinomaki

Non-K-November basho 2020 Discussion (spoiler space)

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Wow. I genuinely want to get my hands on some of that merch. The mask looks great and so do the KitKats. Would probably give the rubber bands a pass though - so '00s, and not very visible compared to a good old towel!

(Insider joke re KitKats for those wondering about chocolates being a bit random - pronounced as "kitto katto" in Japanese, they sound similar to "always win". KitKats are super popular in Japan for that reason, and the number of variant flavours that come out of Japan is insane.)

;-)

1 minute ago, Sakura said:

On Wednesday night I dreamt that Okinoumi died. :-(

That's.... a bit out of left field? (Eh?)

5 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

That's.... a bit out of left field? (Eh?)

Dreams are weird. What can I say.

1 hour ago, Sakura said:

On Wednesday night I dreamt that Okinoumi died. :-(

Please keep that out of "Ridiculous Predictions"(Praying...)

Not under ridiculous predictions:

Yusho- Takayasu 

Breakout basho- Houshouryuu

Nice comeback- Yutakayama, with his injuries and all.

Shoudai, barely kachikoshi-the pressure, which was non-existent till the very late stages of last basho, will be on him big time this time. He does not deal well with pressure.

Asanoyama- too eager to gift his Oyakata with a yusho- 10 wins again.

Juryo yusho- Shouhouzan

The rest-I have no idea.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Breakout basho- Houshouryuu

I hope that you get this one right. :-)

Not-ridiculous-enough prediction:

Someone's 3rd Yusho while not an Ozeki or Yokozuna.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

Not-ridiculous-enough prediction:

Someone's 3rd Yusho while not an Ozeki or Yokozuna.

I guess by 3rd you mean "in 2020", so Shimanoumi it is.

44 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I think what he means that those two have a chance of getting their 3rd yusho while not ranked at ozeki. No one has won a third yusho while not ranked at ozeki.

20 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The NSK again streams live the dohyo-matsuri

About 600 watched live  o - again no rikishi and no public at the dohyo matsuri

EmL-SpbUcAAxjoR.jpg:thumbob_13846351.jpgob_13846350.jpgo202011070000212-w200_0.jpgo 

but apparently members of the press were there to report the Corona measures this basho

the 2 person masu seat: not only the zabuton in opposite corners, also a line between the 2 who share the box

EmMuQ2tUYAEMQrY.jpg:thumbo

disinfection corners with PR for the rikishi postcards

EmMeyZtUcAAAEON.jpg:thumbo

the giant Kokugikan curry box is next to the yusho trophies display

EmM9y_9VMAA010d.jpg:thumbo

after the dohyo matsuri, the yusho portrait presentation - never before at a November basho: Terunofuji was due last time and Shodai is due next basho

48a85be1ceefd3a1393e9e6dd0d31352_1.jpgoEmMzup_VcAIgxF-.jpg:thumbo 

20201107-OHT1I50064-L.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

If you're going to just ignore that I obviously meant Makuuchi Yushos, his last two were in 2019, and he has 5 total, so I'm not sure what you're saying here.

44 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

If you're going to just ignore that I obviously meant Makuuchi Yushos, his last two were in 2019, and he has 5 total, so I'm not sure what you're saying here.

He meant to have the 3rd this year from m17 - Shodai is excluded from the list this year, if you see "while" as not just the point in the past, since he now is an ozeki

Edited by Akinomaki

The policy the last 2 basho was, even if somebody from the NSK gets infected, the basho won't be aborted. This time no.2 Oguruma declared that the NSK won't decide that arbitrarily, for each case they'll ask the experts and let them decide what to do. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20201107/sum20110716270002-n1.html

3 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

And Ura gets of the mark by adding a new kimarite to his list: okurinage!

A fantastic win for Ura - I am so glad that he has managed to push through his injury and get back up to form. I sincerely hope that he can hold up this form and get back to makuuchi. 

Kotoshogiku I was less happy about. If you watch the Abema stream they were zooming in on the his left calf, totally wrapped up in bandage. I am not sure whether it's just that he's slow on the first day, but when I saw him struggle to do sonkyo, get into the tachiai position, fail to generate any power against Chiyomaru and then struggle to get up, my heart really just went (Brokenheart...). As much as I hope he can retire on a high, I don't really think he can pull through much longer. 

Edited to add other observations/commendations: 

Enho does not look much larger and had an expected loss against Yutakayama - I hope he can win against Kaisei tomorrow and break the make-koshi curse. 

Jason's Man from Shimane-Ken having a fantastic defense against Tobizaru. 

Shodai-Wakatakakage should have been a torinaoshi in my opinion - top of Waka's feet and Shodai's heel hit at the same time. Wakanohana is right here

Powerful performance by Asanoyama - but we'll see whether his mental game will hold up the full 15 days - in my opinion it's him or Takakeisho to take the yusho, but we'll see... 

Takayasu starting so far from the line was definitely ill-advised. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Kotoshogiku I was less happy about.

He is fighting with only one leg, and that one looks almost useless.  He will go kyujo quickly.  Intai coming.

Edited by Asojima

That was a mono-ii conference without words - all just waiting for the report of the video room. And with the proper decision. It was a wake-up call for Mitakeumi.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

No time for a another torinaoshi, but Waka was right, the Shodai bout should have had one as well. Shodai's foot had turned.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

That was a mono-ii conference without words - all just waiting for the report of the video room. And with the proper decision. It was a wake-up call for Mitakeumi.

He went full on for the mawashi on the torinaoshi, no playing around with Onosho again. Indeed he needed that to wake up for the basho.

• Like 2

I could be reading too much into it, but it sure looked like Asanoyama spent a lot of time looking at his right arm afterwards. 

29 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

No time for a another torinaoshi, but Waka was right, the Shodai bout should have had one as well. Shodai's foot had turned.

Look at Wakatakakage's feet. Both touching ground with their top.

ShodaiWakatakakage.thumb.jpg.1f619e246de7369ba1d6da9a82515190.jpg

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 2

Shodai was totally nervous. Was unable to contain that smile of relief after the monoii. Congrats anyway for the debut win!

I almost didn't recognize Kagayaki without his usual shiny golden mawashi (losing association to his name -- here comes the dark-shiny guy). 

• Like 1

Quite a start. Somehow it feels nicer to see more audience there, but hopefully precautions are enough to keep everyone safe.

Agreeing on Mita's wake up call, redo was much more impressive to see. Disappointed that Tobizaru couldn't win his starter (out from chaingang game in 1st day...) But looking forward to upcoming days. (Applauding...)