Akinomaki

Non-K-November basho 2020 Discussion (spoiler space)

15 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Trivia question: has there ever been a rikishi before Akua sporting his own image on the kesho-mawashi?

Kiribayama

202001080000503-w200_0.jpgo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

NHK reported that Gagamaru retires

I am not surprised.  He has gone AWOL for a long time.  

Ura picks up his 7th win in Juryo where he will start in the next basho.   

We may see Midorifuji in Makuuchi division in the next basho.  He seems to be more versatile than Enho who appears to run out of ammo.

Sleeper Enho has awakened

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Sleeper Enho has awakened

He is gonna need a few more wins to stay in Makuuchi.   Will we see Midorifuji vs Enho in the next basho?  

Daieisho wins his 7th.  I hope to see him back as a Sanyuku in the next basho.  He is Mr. Consistency.

Takarafuji lost, which is a bit of a bummer, but I noticed in the stream that folks are really gaining some appreciation for his sumo this basho, and that's a good thing. He may put up mediocre numbers, but by God he puts them up consistently. Dude's a total workhorse. Respect. And his battle with Hokutofuji today was pretty good!

I expected Tobizaru to flit about the ring like a moth at a streetlight and he probably should have done just that. I understand why he went for the morozashi, but uh...backfired just a wee bit.

Takakeisho getting it done. Myogiryu held his own, tried to use the ring, but this was never likely to be his win. His best days are behind him,  but he can still put up a fight at least.

Edited by Dwale
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dwale said:

I expected Tobizaru to flit about the ring like a moth at a streetlight and he probably should have done just that. I understand why he went for the morozashi, but uh...backfired just a wee bit.

Terunofuji opted not to go for his opponent's belt today.  

When he locked onto Tobizaru's (morozashi) arms, I was expecting a kime dashi or something.  But lo and behold, he gives fans a spectacular tsuri dashi lift out.  Tobizaru didn't even try the wild-kicking counter move...  Gotta love a good tsuri dashi (or "tsar dash" as auto correct seems to think it should be)! (Laughing...)

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 2

Now that both major yusho contenders have gotten the monkey out of their systems, back to your regular programming...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Indeed.  Gagamaru pulled out of last year's Kyushu tournament on day 13.  Then in January, he attempted to get back into Juryo, but lost two straight in Makushita, and withdrew again.  After sitting out the last four tournaments, the writing was on the wall - so to say.  Trying to come back from Jonidan at 33 years of age, healthy or not, would be a little daunting!

4 hours ago, Amamaniac said:
6 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Indeed.  Gagamaru pulled out of last year's Kyushu tournament on day 13.  Then in January, he attempted to get back into Juryo, but lost two straight in Makushita, and withdrew again.  After sitting out the last four tournaments, the writing was on the wall - so to say.  Trying to come back from Jonidan at 33 years of age, healthy or not, would be a little daunting!

The real question is why he took a year to read the writing. He didn't go for citizenship to be an elder, and he's been unsalaried for this year, so the only logical reason appears to be a botched recovery from injury or medical treatment.

EDIT: Herutto on Twitter found out that his 3rd maezumo win came on 17 November 2005, so retiring today caps exactly 15 years as a rikishi. Slightly wrong - he was 2-1 in maezumo on this day in 2005; he needed to win again on Day 6 of Kyushu 2005 to go 3-1 in maezumo.

Edited by Seiyashi

Asashoryu (yes, Asashoryu, really not mistaken) has given some advice to our favourite struggling little man... 

Source: https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202011170000775.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nikkansports_ogp

[Remarks] A word to Enho Akira. You should learn wrestling footwork in addition to sumo wrestling. Call the Chairman of the Japan Wrestling Federation. It'll be interesting if you could also learn some of the techniques. 

I think his footwork has been lacking somewhat, but that's not really the main issue of this basho in my opinion. 

@robnplunder Hooray! Enho is no longer in last place, but I am quite upset that it's Kiribayama. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pricklypomegranate said:

@robnplunder Hooray! Enho is no longer in last place, but I am quite upset that it's Kiribayama. 

At least no matter how disastrous the record, Kiribayama's not in danger of falling out of makuuchi altogether.

Didn't Enho pay a visit to a judo dojo or something before the pandemic? Maybe the pandemic put paid to his learning but you'd think he'd find a way around that.

2 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Didn't Enho pay a visit to a judo dojo or something before the pandemic? Maybe the pandemic put paid to his learning but you'd think he'd find a way around that.

Hmm... Pandemic was in March, correct? So maybe the judo is what gave us the stellar performance in January? Or maybe he shouldn't be doing all those extra exercises, he's thin enough as he is. Whatever he's doing now, it's not working, or at least he's been slow to turn on. 

Just realised that I am now in Makushita. I will gambarise and make it to the sekitori ranks. I will concerntrate, take it one day at a time and do my brand of sumo. (Laughing...)

2 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Hmm... Pandemic was in March, correct? So maybe the judo is what gave us the stellar performance in January? Or maybe he shouldn't be doing all those extra exercises, he's thin enough as he is. Whatever he's doing now, it's not working, or at least he's been slow to turn on. 

Something like that, yeah. Most of the time, you won't have space to practice martial arts at home, especially for Japanese homes you can't swing a cat in. But that's not the case for a freaking heya - you could set up a Zoom into the keiko-ba or something.

That, or he sent the red mawashi on a secret pilgrimage to summon an oni back into it, and it just got back.

Or, :gasp: he's been wearing the same mawashi all the time, and the red mawashi goes green when it runs out of blood juice...

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Something like that, yeah. Most of the time, you won't have space to practice martial arts at home, especially for Japanese homes you can't swing a cat in. But that's not the case for a freaking heya - you could set up a Zoom into the keiko-ba or something.

That, or he sent the red mawashi on a secret pilgrimage to summon an oni back into it, and it just got back.

Or, he might not be living in the heya. How else would he cooking his own meals? Or did the tsukebito finally give up trying to pander to his demands? If he isn't I fully suggest that he comes back to live in the heya. I don't think remote judo works either. It's not a contact sport if you aren't having... contact. 

Well, it's a shame that the red mawashi came late. That's what you get for not paying Amazon Prime. I feel like Enho does have a little cheapskate streak in him - he is certainly no Ishiura arriving in a McLaren on his birthday (Laughing...)

7 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Or, he might not be living in the heya. How else would he cooking his own meals? Or did the tsukebito finally give up trying to pander to his demands? If he isn't I fully suggest that he comes back to live in the heya. I don't think remote judo works either. It's not a contact sport if you aren't having... contact. 

It was vaguely suggested that he doesn't stay in the heya, back when he mentioned he was attempting cooking to stave off boredom during the pandemic. But he still goes to the heya for training - the point was that most ordinary people taking martial arts classes would only have the space at their gym to practice, but that's not the case for sumotori whether they stay in the heya or not.

He could still practice the kata. Hell, that's what most solo drills in foundational martial arts do anyway - drill footwork and stability. 

Day 10 rikishi talk:

Ura, four straight wins beating 190 kilos Tsurugishou today: "I think I was able to truly do my own sumo today. I was stopped in my tracks for a while there, but I knew I couldn't keep that up for long so I made my move. I still have no confidence whatsoever. I'm totally anxious..There is a plus side -  it makes me more focused. I want to continue gambarizing day by day. I'm close to a kachikoshi (needs another win) that will assure me a stay in Juryo, but I'm trying not to think of that. I do, however, want that kachikoshi.. I will gambarize to maintain my stamina ." It's been a while since he's gone for 15 days.

Takakeishou, 9th win and remaining tied for the lead: " I did rebound from the loss, but yesterday was yesterday. All my troubles seemed so far away.    Today is today. Day nine will not happen again, so I decided to concentrate and just do it. It's a world where winning is essential. I have to concentrate to keep them white stars (wins) coming!"

Terunofuji, craning Tobizaru and carrying him out today after two consecutive losses: "I was thinking of 強引  all out (pun).  When facing a small opponent, you have to go all out against him from the start, otherwise you may find yourself running after him and losing.. I want to return to my previous position (Ozeki). I want to get ten wins and upwards this basho." 

Ryuuden, kachikoshi on day 10, first one since January. "I'm in attacking mode and also persistent. It's good that my body is moving. And how about the twerking, huh? Shaking that ass.." Asked about the new-fangled tachiai: "I am thinking and doing it.."

Kotoshouhou, beating two Sekiwake the last two days and will face Takakeishou in the final bout of the day tomorrow: "I think my body moved well. The important thing was that I was patient. I'm able to experience Makuuchi well. Tomorrow, I will be going about it while concentrating, on my tachiai, as usual."

Daieishou, 7th win, beating Okinoumi and aiming to return to Sanyaku: "I want to be back there as soon as possible. I have to get those results.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

Takarafuji - Hokotofuji was epic! The first one was enough, the second one was the icing on the cake. The camera's zoomed in on both their faces when the torinaoshi was called and they were both like "Bugger. We really have to do that again?". I think they would have preferred a result, even if it meant they lost.

(for the record I thought Takarafuji was clearly throwing Hokotofuji at the end of the first one and that the latter should have been called dead body, but what do I know?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morty said:

Takarafuji - Hokotofuji was epic! The first one was enough, the second one was the icing on the cake. The camera's zoomed in on both their faces when the torinaoshi was called and they were both like "Bugger. We really have to do that again?". I think they would have preferred a result, even if it meant they lost.

(for the record I thought Takarafuji was clearly throwing Hokotofuji at the end of the first one and that the latter should have been called dead body, but what do I know?)

Strongly agreed. That's the most honest day of work I've ever seen on a honbasho day.

Regarding the outcome of the first bout, well, Rikishi A's kotenage is Rikishi B's sukuinage. I agree that Takarafuji looked like the aggressor, but since he was also the first to touch down (both on the actual dohyo as well as first to cross the "plane" of the dohyo), maybe the referees felt the overall fairer outcome was to redo. If they had wanted to give the bout to Takarafuji, they might have cited the kabai-te rule to discount his first touchdown, but quite frankly I've never seen that rule being applied in two years despite having read of it.

Edited by Seiyashi

Rikishi talk day 10- part 2:

Shimanoumi is ranked at the very bottom of Makuuchi and tied for the lead. He has suffered a devastating injury in his past, just as he was ranked Makushita 4 and poised to become a sekitori, back in 2013, to return in 2014 ranked at Jonokuchi 18. He then slowly made his way back to the top. "Yesterday, my Oyakata (Kise) told me that my opponent (Chiyonokuni) will be coming at me with slaps so I should keep my head low. That's all I had in mind today. " That is exactly what happened. People are comparing his run so far to Tokushouryuu's run when he got the yusho in January of this year from the very bottom of the banzuke as well. "I'm not thinking of anything. If I do it will be bad. My Oyakata has told me not to think obstructive thoughts.. In any case, I will be giving it my all. I don't want to do sumo I may regret. " His heyamate Gagamaru announced his retirement today. "When I joined sumo he was ranked at Komusubi. I was blessed to be able to train with someone ranked high above me. I feel very thankful, yet I feel very sad. He has taught me so much, so I would like to get a good result."  

Hokutofuji' doing two bouts today, beating Takarafuji in the second bout after an extreme effort and a redo: "My lungs are shot.. My opponent is in good shape, so the sumo turned out the way it did. I'm happy I was able to continue yesterday's good sumo.."
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

The real question is why he took a year to read the writing. He didn't go for citizenship to be an elder, and he's been unsalaried for this year, so the only logical reason appears to be a botched recovery from injury or medical treatment.

Knee injury seems to be the most common cause for Top Division guys to drop down the banzuke, yet still hold out hope to rise back up.  Some like Ura. Chiyonokuni, Tochinoshin, and Terunofuji have realised that dream.  Perhaps given Gagamaru (USS Gaga)'s excess weight (or as you say, a botched surgery/recovery therefrom), a glorious return was not in the cards.

I had a chance to see Gagamaru at the Yasuxxxx Shrine during the jungyo held there annually.  I will always remember him showing off his biceps to the younger rikishi.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know whether or not wrestlers continue to collect proceeds from kinboshi (each tournament they are on the banzuke) if they drop out of the salaried ranks?  Gagamaru picked up a kinboshi from Harumafuji back in 2015.  From my understanding, kinboshi are gifts that keep on giving...

1 minute ago, Amamaniac said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know whether or not wrestlers continue to collect proceeds from kinboshi (each tournament they are on the banzuke) if they drop out of the salaried ranks?  Gagamaru picked up a kinboshi from Harumafuji back in 2015.  From my understanding, kinboshi are gifts that keep on giving...

From this resource, no. The kinboshi stay on the rikishi's mochikyukin account, but as the rikishi ceases to be sekitori, he is not entitled to receive that money as a bonus. So he stopped milking that kinboshi after last Kyushu.

• Thanks 1

Tobizaru must've been working puroresu style, because I just don't see any other reason why he'd headcharge into Terunofuji's mawashi.

Edited by Koorifuu