Akinomaki

Non-K-November basho 2020 Discussion (spoiler space)

8 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Interesting assessment!  

Keep in mind that with Shodai and Asanoyama kyujo, Terunofuji is now the clear frontrunner in the "Most Top Division Wins in a Year" race.  He (51 wins) is six wins ahead of Takakeisho (45 wins).  

So that fits in your "Terunofuji's" plan.  If he gets 10 or more wins, Takakeisho can't catch him.  If, however, he has less than 10 wins, he might need 10 to maintain his lead, depending on whether Takakeisho keeps his current win streak going.

But I don't see him pulling out unless his injuries are really bothering him (i.e., more so than usual).

I think tThey only count wins in makuuchi, so his Juryo yusho won't count. He was not mentioned in the NHK broadcast earlier today at all; Shodai is in the lead (but obviously won't be clocking), and Asanoyama (also not clocking) and Takakeisho were joint second before today's bouts (now Takakeisho is in clear second after winning over Okinoumi).

EDIT: You said it yourself...

Edited by Seiyashi

This year's Most Wins of the Year honors will probably enter the meh.. trash can about 2 hours after the basho ends.  It has not been a particularly memorable year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Both Ts may be in contention on the score right now, but based on upcoming bout schedule Takakeisho is way more likely to take the yusho. Hence I'm arguing on that basis that he's the shoo-in for the yusho.

shoo-in
/ˈSHo͞o ˌin/

noun
INFORMAL

1. a person or thing that is certain to succeed, especially someone who is certain to win a competition.

Fine, fine, I'm coming out and saying IMO Takakeisho is all but gonna win it because of his easier fight card, hence in my eyes he's a shoo-in, happy?

I know it's a bit early to be making yusho predictions but I think he'll take it with a 2-win margin over Terunofuji. You heard it here first...

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

Does someone actually care about such an award?   

How about adding the following awards?

• Gained the most weight
  • Flung Enho the farthest (let that man be cursed)
  • Ran farthest after losing
  • Most salt thrower (sponsored by Morton, won by Terutsuyoshi in day 2)
  • Least salt thrower (Ura is a clear winner if he were in Makuuchi)
  • The most monoii'd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reonito said:
shoo-in
/ˈSHo͞o ˌin/

noun
INFORMAL

1. a person or thing that is certain to succeed, especially someone who is certain to win a competition.

This is the normal definition but in Japan it it may mean something else. I have found out on this forum that in Japan, it is not what is actually said but the hidden meaning behind what was said. In other words to understand sumo/the YDC/NSK, you have to be a mind reader. :-D

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

They only count wins in makuuchi, so his Juryo yusho won't count.

That is indeed true.  When tallying wins for the top guys, I failed to exclude Teru's first two tournaments this year which were in the Juryo Division.  Just goes to show how rapidly he's come back up the banzuke!  

My bad.

Edited by Amamaniac

The most wins rikishi award trophy is handed over after the trophies for the yusho rikishi at the last basho of the year, usually in Kyushu, thus sponsored by the Kyushu local newspaper Nishi-Nihon shimbun company, and it comes of course with a sum of money.

On 27/11/2018 at 17:50, Akinomaki said:

most wins of the year award for Tochinoshin

Ds6rOpkU8AABxup.jpg:thumbo

An all time low is guaranteed again this year, but it had only 5 basho. The poll this time is of course a disaster, with Asanoyama and Shodai being the only expected winners.

On 31/10/2020 at 16:00, Akinomaki said:

Asanoyama is 2 behind the new ozeki, and he said he'll aim for the most wins award again. I limit the choice to the top 7, though in theory, more have a chance.

The list of the top

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=5&n_basho=5&sum_wins=36&sum_range=5&show_sum=on&form1_year=2020&form1_month=1&form1_m=on&sort_by=sum_wins

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, bettega said:

I think Terunofuji has a plan: while in the Yusho race, fight; if out of the race but 10+ wins, kyujo (but starts a Ozeki run); if out ou the race and less than 10 wins, keep fighting

I can guarantee that the NSK will not consider an ozeki run even with 10+ win kyujo. His health will be questioned at that point 

Edited by WAKATAKE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Asojima said:

It has not been a particularly memorable year.

Greetings from Pluto... meanwhile back on Planet Earth...

5 hours ago, bettega said:

I think Terunofuji has a plan: while in the Yusho race, fight; if out of the race but 10+ wins, kyujo (but starts a Ozeki run); if out ou the race and less than 10 wins, keep fighting

Terunofuji has no plan. He just wins until someone tells him to stop winning.  Twas ever thus.

• Haha 1

The NHK showed a list of kimarite rankings:

1JWKzFT.jpg

Obviously, no surprises as to which three made it to the top. Would be way more interesting to see a top 20.

The big salt throw, seen from afar:

cN3CBkb.jpg

FVYjCUc.jpg

ioVFb8d.jpg

RM5i5ig.jpg

vr6FdvT.jpg

Quite a lot of people in the audience this basho. They're still not allowed to do anything but clap, I guess, though.

Tochinoshin vs Endo:

m27coWZ.jpg

"Hang on, I see someone on the front row who owes me money."

He flew a pretty big distance:

t8juYKU.jpg

R8tU7NF.jpg

You can feel the guy he almost bumped into thinking "情けねぇ..."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

Terunofuji has no plan. He just wins until someone tells him to stop winning.  Twas ever thus.

Hmmm.  Out of 14 Ozeki bashos, he had 4 with 10 or more wins and 6 with 10 or more losses.  He seriously screwed up his use of kadoban/10 sekiwake wins advantages to work his way through injury/health problems.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

I know that Takakeisho and Mitakeumi and Shodai and Asanoyama are going to be our current crop of ozeki/yokozuna for the foreseeable future but, man, I really can't wait until the next guys get here. 

• Like 3

On 13/11/2020 at 20:20, Kurikara said:

Sad to see him go. Still miss those back stretches.

It was clearly time - but he might of stayed a bit longer it there was a rational method for recovery from a serious injury.  I think this is starting to really hurt the quality of Sumo.

4 hours ago, Benevolance said:

I know that Takakeisho and Mitakeumi and Shodai and Asanoyama are going to be our current crop of ozeki/yokozuna for the foreseeable future but, man, I really can't wait until the next guys get here. 

Agreed. It's about time for Akiseyama to shine!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Benevolance said:

I am very close to ruling out Mitakeumi from the list.  As a fan since his Makushita debut, it hurts me to say that.  You forgot Terunofuji on the list.

The next guys waiting in line?  Kotoshoho is one good looking prospect.   My hope is that Tomokaze gets 100% healthy and does a Terunofuji.  If he does, he will be another O/Y prospect.  If I were to add a third to the list, it'd be Takanosho although he can't be called a "young" prospect anymore.   He may make it to Ozeki rank.

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

Nishikigi is gradually aggravating his leg injury from yesterday. 2nd lucky day in a row for Akiseyama with injured opponents, to break the nuke-nuke win-loss pattern so far. It gets more and more difficult now to prevent his makuuchi return.

Edit: and tomorrow he appears there already the 2nd time this basho

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Enho finally gets an aite who lets him on the belt and still he loses. 0-8 and looking like he's on the shinkansen back to Juryo.

Not only is Ryuden twerking at tachiai, but before he crouches down he seems to be doing a mini-Macarena dance as well. 

Is it just me, or was Terutsuyoshi doing the Bauer before stepping up onto the dohyo? 

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

Daieishooooooooooo!

I just love that dude.  He is so consistent.