Akinomaki

Non-K-November basho 2020 Discussion (spoiler space)

Ryuden did not generate enough twerk power today. Usually he's quite good in long bouts. Poor Enho still winless. Wonder when he will get that first shiroboshi... Endo used the opportunity to get up close and personal with the fans. Maybe he's been missing that (Laughing...)

Otsukaresama, Giku!! We will miss the Koto-bauer and bumpety yorikiri! (Yushowinner...)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hakutorizakura said:

Ryuden did not generate enough twerk power today.

I hope he's been told to cut it out. If Kotoyuki's hoot was out of order, Ryuden's twerking is really taking the piss. I've surprised myself by how much I've gone off him as a result.

18 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

I hope he's been told to cut it out. If Kotoyuki's hoot was out of order, Ryuden's twerking is really taking the piss. I've surprised myself by how much I've gone off him as a result.

I agree, but if he was happily twerking while his stablemaster was judging right by the dohyoside and he hasn't cut it out, I don't think he's going to cut it out anytime soon.

6 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Ura does not appear to be in his Makuuchi form yet.  The guy had two major injuries and I am not sure he will ever return to his peak.  KK in this basho will be a good result.  I am guessing he'd end up with a 9-5 record.

Enho has been figured out.  The ball is in Enho's court.  He needs to come up with new ways to beat the bigger opponents which may not be easy.  I see him going up and down the Makuuchi and Juryo divisions provided that he stays healthy.  The way he has been beaten, I am afraid he will get injured sooner than later.  

Enho vs Ura next basho anyone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, code_number3 said:

Enho vs Ura next basho anyone?

difficult when both going down a division

10 hours ago, just_some_guy said:

Speaking of, has Ryuden given anything quote-wise as to why he's been twerking on the dohyo? It seems to be bringing him luck. Perhaps it causes his opponents' minds to wander...

I don't know about his opponents, but I sure find it distracting just watching him.

3 minutes ago, Getayukata said:

I don't know about his opponents, but I sure find it distracting just watching him.

Which type of distracting? *Yummy* or *eeew*?

Edited by Benihana

6 hours ago, Benihana said:

Watch this magnificent creature doing the mating dance. By shaking his bum he tries to lure the most beautiful of the possible okamisan watching him into his nest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Getayukata said:

I'm out of reactions, so (Laughing...)

7 minutes ago, Benihana said:

I would say irritating came nearer the mark!

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

I bet for either alternative it will take a sinusoidal function where yummy/eeew is minimum at angle = 0° and maximum at 180°. Zero angle being Ryuden's front.

(Which makes me think that his opponent should receive the minimum effect, but probably still enough to distract them (Scratchingchin...))

5 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

Otsukaresama, Giku!! We will miss the Koto-bauer and bumpety yorikiri! (Yushowinner...)

There seems to always be someone to take over the mantle of "salt shaker" (current holder: Terutsuyoshi).  But when will we see the next "gaburi-yori" king?  

Yes, indeed, Giku will be missed. 

7 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Considering Takakeisho has the easier fight card from here out and has a good record against Terunofuji, I feel he's much more likely to be the shoo-in for the yusho this time.

Because they are both very much in contention there can't be a shoo-in for the yusho.

5 minutes ago, lackmaker said:

Because they are both very much in contention there can't be a shoo-in for the yusho.

Au contraire, the fight card makes it such that Terunofuji has two more difficult bouts compared to Takakeisho.

Takakeisho has beaten Takayasu and is now tearing a swath through the rest of the joi, and is excused from fighting Takanosho. His head to head against the remaining sanyaku, Mitakeumi and Terunofuji, is either even (Mitakeumi, 8-8) or superior (Terunofuji, 2-0 including last basho). 

On the other hand, Terunofuji still has to fight Takayasu, Takanosho, Mitakeumi, and Takakeisho himself. None of these are gimmes - Takayasu and Mitakeumi have even records against him, and he has yet to win against Takakeisho and Takanosho.

Both Ts may be in contention on the score right now, but based on upcoming bout schedule Takakeisho is way more likely to take the yusho. Hence I'm arguing on that basis that he's the shoo-in for the yusho.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lackmaker said:
7 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Considering Takakeisho has the easier fight card from here out and has a good record against Terunofuji, I feel he's much more likely to be the shoo-in for the yusho this time.

Actually, Wakanohana III revised his yusho prediction today on Abema TV to "Takakeisho".  From that, one might conclude that Seiyashi's choice is spot on.

However, ... Wakanohana has what you might call a "bad track record" in that category.  It's enough to make one think twice about throwing all one's eggs into the Takakeisho basket. ;-)

1 minute ago, Amamaniac said:

Actually, Wakanohana III revised his yusho prediction today on Abema TV to "Takakeisho".  From that, one might conclude that Seiyashi's choice is spot on.

However, ... Wakanohana has what you might call a "bad track record" in that category.  It's enough to make one think twice about throwing all one's eggs into the Takakeisho basket. ;-)

There's a first time for everything...... Wakanohana could either finally break his duck, or be forever banned from making predictions if the tsuriyane drops on Takakeisho on day 10.

6 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

There's a first time for everything...... Wakanohana could either finally break his duck, or be forever banned from making predictions if the tsuriyane drops on Takakeisho on day 10.

Now that is a post that belongs in the "Ridiculous Predictions" thread!  LOL

Edited by Amamaniac

Just now, lackmaker said:

Maybe you think shoo-in means favourite. It means certain winner.

No, that's exactly what I meant, although I did qualify it by saying he was more likely to be the shoo-in.

I think Terunofuji has a plan: while in the Yusho race, fight; if out of the race but 10+ wins, kyujo (but starts a Ozeki run); if out ou the race and less than 10 wins, keep fighting

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

No, that's exactly what I meant, although I did qualify it by saying he was more likely to be the shoo-in.

How can someone be the more likely certain winner, that doesnt make sense. But i understand what youre saying so no problem.

4 minutes ago, bettega said:

I think Terunofuji has a plan: while in the Yusho race, fight; if out of the race but 10+ wins, kyujo (but starts a Ozeki run); if out ou the race and less than 10 wins, keep fighting

He's likely to do that yes, but I think you got the kyujo the wrong way round. He'll fight if he can yusho or clock 10+, but will go kyujo if he loses 2-3 during his tour of the joi. With an ozeki run you'll want every single win possible, because I don't think there's ever been an ozeki run that has included fusen matches or kyujo (or if there has been, it'll be an extreme rarity, <5 times at best).

He probably also doesn't want to be too explicit about his tactical kyujo, because that's a really bad look for any rikishi.

Edited by Seiyashi

Day 7 rikishi mikishi:

Naya, Taihou's grandson, 4th win at Makushita 1, beating Kitaharima, this time will be promoted for sure: "I didn't know what to expect from him. He's not a large opponent. I had a powerful tachiai in mind that could deal with whatever he threw at me.  I want to win all my seven bouts with high spirits  and assure my promotion to Juryo. Last basho I didn't make it, so I decided that this basho I want to win all of my bouts." His classmates Houshouryuu and Kotoshouhou are already in Makuuchi. "I'm just thinking about myself I want to catch up to them and show good sumo on TV when the time will come..'

Ura, winning today by grabbing his opponents leg and then pushing him out: "I don't really remember much, but my body was moving well so that's good. When I'm at it I'm frantic and I don't really know what exactly I'm doing.. Regardless of the wins/losses, I'm just going out there daily giving it my all. 15 days is a long time.." he said, having to battle for 15 days for the first time in three years.

Tochinoshin showing some power again, flinging Endou into the masu seats: "I wasn't looking too good, but I was able to move forward relentlessly.  I just attacked forward and forward so that my opponent won't get inside. That was good!"

A change of diapers? Endou visits the masu seats, where only two are allowed per seat:

202011140000729-w1300_0.jpg

Shimanoumi,  on Kotoshougiku: "He has been a very active and prominent rikishi. He was my senior in high school and I learned a lot from him. Even after his knee injury he has soldiered on - I have been looking at him in awe.." Even though they are not from the same heya, he has been giving Shimanoumi a lot of advice. They met 7 times in Makuuchi and Shimanoumi beat him six times. "It was an honor for me to have been able to face him. When I get to be his age, I hope to be able to not lose and do youngish sumo as well.."

Terunofuji, seventh win, pulling at some point: "I pulled inadvertently.. But even when I was at a disadvantage I remained calm and was able to survive. Every day, the wins accumulate so I will be taking every day seriously!"

Takakeishou, seventh straight win from day 1 for the first time since he arrived in Makuuchi: "I'm concentrating and thinking I don't want to do sumo I will regret. I'm treating every day as if it were day one. Speaking of being conscious, I'm only conscious about my sumo on each day, nothing else. We'll see what happens after senshuraku is over."

Takarafuji, facing his schoolmate Tokushouryuu: "We know each other's skills too well but I managed somehow.."

Kotoekou on Kotoshougiku's retirement. He used to be his tsukebito: "I can't count the number of things he taught me over the years. The most memorable thing he said to me was 'when you hesitate, just hit as hard as you can!. Regardless of the win/loss, believe in yourself  and give it your all', is what he was teaching me.."

Kotonowaka, same story: "When I entered sumo he took it upon himself to train me. I watched and copied his moves and hope to make them my own.. "

Kotoshouhou, same: "I have no words to describe how much I owe him. All I can do is strive for the results.."

Chiyonokuni, first loss of the basho in a first time meeting against Houshouryuu: "I thought he would come at me with 'soft' sumo, but it was bad.. Everything was bad. I should not have let him attack me. Bad."

Chiyotairyuu, two losses, then five straight wins: "I got pushed back by my opponent and that was ugly, but I managed to win. I feel that I'm in the flow.."

Tamawashi, beating Terutsuyoshi and getting his fifth win: "He's small so I was somewhat impatient. I didn't want him to grab my mawashi because he can be persistent so I tried my best to keep some distance from him."

Tobizaru, stopping his losing streak at three: " It's been a while since I felt this good. My body is moving little by little. I will gambarize from here on!"

Wakatakakage, getting Terunofuji to the edge of the dohyo but not being able to finish him off: "I followed his pulling but he managed to get inside and I guess that was my downfall.."

Takanoshou, losing to his classmate Kagayaki: "I was too concerned about his slaps and paid for that and kind of self-destructed and lost. A lot to reflect upon about this bout.."

Mitakeumi, beating energetic Hokutofuji powerfully: "I was able to attack from a low position the whole bout. I'd like to continue to do my own sumo and win, or else.."

Hokutofuji, 4 straight wins and now three straight losses: " I want to go back to do sumo like I did the first three days with a quick first step at the tachiai.. I want to take the initiative."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Benihana said:

Hey, we're not here to judge!! [my personal vote: *eeew*].

OTOH, I see no problem with him doing it, unless the PTB decide it affects the timing of the tachiai.

3 hours ago, bettega said:

Interesting assessment!  

(Considerations about Terunofuji in the Most Tope Division Wins in 2020 don't apply – thanks, Seiyashi, for pointing out Teru was in the Juryo Division earlier this year.)

But I don't see him pulling out unless his injuries are really bothering him (i.e., more so than usual).

Edited by Amamaniac