Akinomaki

Non-K-November basho 2020 Discussion (spoiler space)

PLAYOFF!

That was good sumo from both. But Takakeisho ran out of steam and couldn't block Terunofuji from his belt any longer.

Wow! What a brutal ending. I felt that. Terunofuji wanted Takakeisho to know he wasn't getting the yusho that easily.

Playoff!

I think Terunofuji just won himself a huge psychological edge with that move.

Edited by Eikokurai

1 minute ago, Seiyashi said:

Hard to tell. It might be a package deal kind of thing - either we get 4 komusubi with Daieisho and Hokutofuji or they both get jammed at M1. I can see both happening.

Both outcomes would be fair, so they probably will only promote one to komusubi to show they can do as they like

• Haha 1

Beast mode!  Terunofuji got a critical grip on Takakeisho's mawashi, and the rest was history!

Will the Waka prediction curse rear its head again??????

Edited by Amamaniac

We shall see. Takakeisho has lost his cushion, but has valuable information for the playoff. That said, I'm afraid he might be tempted to overcommit at the tachiai and get slapped down.

Yup, Takakeisho IS THE CHAMPION!!!!

Ozeki drought broken by Takakeisho. Tsuna run has been activated. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

TAKAKEISHO!

In style too, three straight double handed blasts!

Bummer though - Terunofuji seems to have gotten injured.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

YEAH! I'd never thought i'd say that, but THANK YOU Takakeisho! No Kaiju-yusho!

• Like 4

Takakeisho does the job in the only way he knows how and we have a legit rope run on our hands in January.

Terunofuji was superb though and I expect we'll see him back at Ozeki soon.

Wow. Tears in the eyes of the Ozeki that is usually as cool as a cucumber, and just pure agony and disappointment by Terunofuji. We said that Hatsu will get several levels crazier, but now it's a reality and we are really feeling it. 

• Like 1

Great Basho by both, Takakeisho and Terunofuji. Entertaining aswell. It's great to have an Ozeki Yusho for the first time in three years. January will be interesting. 

1 minute ago, Karasukurai said:

After just getting splatted, mentally that was a great win by Takakeisho. Proved he is worth the Ozeki rank today.

Hanamichi reports stated that he went to the shitakubeya, did ten charge practices against the teppo-bashira, then went out. Seems that paid off.

• Like 3

I hope that Takakeisho can continue to improve his defensive skills to be a more well-rounded rikishi, pardon the pun. Great to see an ozeki winning the yusho.

• Like 2

The first time I watched the regulation match between Takakeisho and Terunofuji, I thought Terunofuji jumped onto Takakeisho to make a point, but watching the replay, I tend to think the jump may have been to ensure his knee doesn't hit the dohyo first.

By the way, is it my imagination, or did Terunofuji look like he was ready to burst into tears at any moment during the interview? 

And that, as they say, is that. What a wild end. Takakeisho, in the first match, shoved Terunofuji so hard that the kaiju literally got some air! But even that wasn't enough, and we end up with I think the most vicious pancaking I can remember ever seeing.

At that point I said, "Whoever wins this fought their ass off for it, and they deserve it." I had the feeling Takakeisho was done, but he kept his head and his heart and he came back from that crushing defeat. The guy has backbone, you've got to grant him that at least.

It's been a fun ride, sumo peeps. We will see y'all in January. Peace and love.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Adil said:

By the way, is it my imagination, or did Terunofuji look like he was ready to burst into tears at any moment during the interview? 

He certainly looked very disappointed. Must be a bit weird to be interviewed for a minor success after letting the yusho slip through his fingers. He also busted his knee in the playoff, so while he might have started to tear up, it's not clear if it's from pain or disappointment.

TAKAKEISHOOO!!!!

TAKA-K.O.! POWER HAMSTER! FIREBALL WITH HANDS! THE WRECKING BALL! OSHI-DASHI ROLY-POLY!

Or Cool Cucumber as Hiro called him just now :-D

Man, that was dramatic (not as dramatic as Haru 17 though). I almost had to go to the toilet :-P But no doubt Teru will be one one of the top guys in the next few years. He's been showing excellent sumo and composure since his comeback. For sure Kaiju 2.0 will try to hold the Mongolian Great Wall from crumbling down. Very much looking forward for Hatsu!! 

• Like 1

I missed Takakeisho's first yusho interview, but this interview is the most open I've ever seen him in interviews.