Sign in to follow this  
WAKATAKE

Ex-Ozeki Corps November 2020 Version

How are the ex-ozeki going to look in the near future?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Will Any of the Active Ex-Ozeki Regain Their Rank?

• Kotoshogiku
    • Takayasu
    • Terunofuji
    • Tochinoshin
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Who will be first ex-ozeki to retire?

• Kotoshogiku
    • Takayasu
    • Terunofuji
    • Tochinoshin
  3. 3. Who will last the longest out of the current ex-ozeki corps?

• Kotoshogiku
    • Takayasu
    • Terunofuji
    • Tochinoshin

We've been seeing a lot of bouncing up and down from the current ex-ozeki corps, which consists in alphabetical order of Kotoshogiku, Takayasu, Terunofuji and Tochinoshin. We saw Terunofuji fall all the way to Jonidan before mounting an almost impossible comeback to win his second yusho in July 2020. In July 2020, all the ex-ozeki also had KK. In Aki 2020, we saw a different picture of how everyone was doing, as Kotoshogiku and Tochinoshin went MK, with the Geek all but becoming the 4th ex-ozeki to fall to juryo based on his performance for the basho. Terunofuji managed to go KK before dropping out, while Takayasu put together a strong enough record that will likely see him back in sanyaku since falling from ozeki last year.

This group is probably the biggest we've seen of an ex-ozeki corps in a while, if not all time. Each have shown shadows of what they were, but some of them almost seem like they might be able to mount a strong enough comeback to return to the second highest rank. Only one ex-ozeki has returned to ozeki the traditional way, could any of the current group become the second?

This poll will be closed when one of the results in the poll questions happens, and a new updated poll will be made then.

Edited by WAKATAKE

What will the future hold for these former ozekis? Your guess is as good as mine. (Blinking...)

I don’t see any of the former Ozeki getting their rank back but the poll required an answer so I went with Terunofuji. I think he has the best chance of the 4 and I wouldn’t be surprised that much if he did. But at the same time I just don’t see any of these guys putting the required string of wins together from that high up in the banzuke. 

Voted Kotoshogiku to retire first and that will be a sad day. And see Terunofuji as the last to go since he still seems consistent enough to hang around for a while. Takayasu also looks to have gotten back into his form a bit so maybe he can outlast Terunofuji though.

I would also love to see Tochinoshin hang around for a while longer as he definitely has the fight and desire left in him. But I don’t see him outlasting Terunofuji or Takayasu. 

Hmm, seems to be a flaw in the math.

All 7 voters so far voted that Terunofuji would regain ozeki but the calculation doesn't show this as 100%. Also, it forces one to pick at least one when in all likelihood many people might choose "none of the above".

i picked Takayasu and Terunofuji to regain. Optimism!

Edited by Oshirokita

On 10/10/2020 at 20:07, Katsunorifuji said:

I don’t see any of the former Ozeki getting their rank back but the poll required an answer so I went with Terunofuji. I think he has the best chance of the 4 and I wouldn’t be surprised that much if he did. But at the same time I just don’t see any of these guys putting the required string of wins together from that high up in the banzuke.

Poll must have gotten edited as I was able to vote "none of the above." I do agree that Terunofuji is the only one who has a shot at it, but I'm skeptical as to his ability to stay healthy enough. They're all banged up, but I think Takayasu can keep himself together long enough to outlast the rest.

Barring a horrific injury or alien abduction, I'd be shocked if someone other than Kotoshogiku is first to retire.

I doubt any will return, Kotoshogiku will pull the plug soon, and Terunofuji will outlast the rest. Bonus prediction is Tochinoshin is next after KSG. 

I have been wrong about Terunofuji each step of his return though...