Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses- November 2020

Maegashira 13 Houshouryuu, ex-Asashouryuu's nephew, trained against the other sekitori of the heya. "I regarded the last basho as a learning experience for me and did sumo accordingly. This coming basho, I would like to show the results of what I learned last basho.. " he said. Asashouryuu is all over him usually. "The day I got my kachikoshi was also my uncle's birthday. He just stated the fact that I got my kachikoshi. I'm really happy he didn't get mad at me. He hasn't given me any advice about the next basho yet, but I think he will at some stage. I want to show him that I have grown stronger.." he summed, probably shaking a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

New Makuuchi Aqua (Akua, but this is better..)  trained with his heyamates today- 30 bouts and was very energetic.10 years since he entered sumo. "I finally made it to Makuuchi.. I finally made it to the start-line. It took me ten years and I intend to stay," he said. He is from Ibaraki, home of "Aquaworld", so that's where he gets his unusual shikona from. There is a popularity (appeal) ranking system of prefectures and  Ibaraki was last., Now, it's ranked 42nd. "We've finally escaped the cellar, but I'm not sure what's better.. Being last is more conspicuous and has a positive feel.. I think being last for 10 years is conversely a good thing. Compared to other prefectures I guess its appeal isn't that high, but that's OK by me. I can comfortably live with that.." he said. Hmmm.. If he wins 5 this basho I will eat a hard-boiled egg with my nose.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Hmmm.. If he wins 5 this basho I will eat a hard-boiled egg with my nose.

It's been forever since a makuuchi debutante got a hard drubbing back to juryo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

A few days ago Chris Sumo was waxing lyrical about Hoshoryu. Considering that the changing of the guard will only be complete by this time next year, it seems a bit early to tell who will be yokozuna - it's really anyone's game (and luck), and pretty much all the young'uns are worthy of watching.

I am not really feeling it with Hoshoryu yet. For me he is one of the least exciting young ones to watch (though they are all somewhat exciting to watch). 

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

New Sekiwake Takanoshou trained with heyamate Takagenji from Juryo, 15 bouts. "I want to concentrate daily on doing my own sumo and gambarize to that end," he mused. He is the 4th child of six children. In elementary school, he used to get beaten up by his older sister. "You don't want to lose to your older sister.. We used to fight a lot  with me losing. When I entered junior high my body changed completely, and I never lost again to her.. We used to fight like crazy, but at present we are all on good terms, " he summed. (Reminder- his brother's newborn child was a bigger deal than his first-ever Sekiwake promotion in his family..)

They will be singing a different tune once (and if) he becomes Ozeki. (Laughing...)

Yeah, I'm not feeling it with Hoshoryu either. His wins are technically solid, but his losses show quite a few vulnerabilities in his sumo. FWIW I think he was lucky to KK last basho, even though I was genuinely cheering him on. He has a lot of work to do both to bulk up and to escape his uncle's shadow; I'm not sure it's helping to be permanently compared to a dai-yokozuna.

Unfortunately for Takanosho, some families are quite odd that way, especially when you have a lot of kids and your attention is split. I don't get the sense that his family is sumo-mad otherwise his rise promotion would have been a much bigger deal; if he went into sumo without the express and explicit approval of his family I can see why he's got "meh, ok" reactions from them vs his nephew's birth. In which case nothing short of yokozuna might make them sit up and take notice.

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

If he wins 5 this basho I will eat a hard-boiled egg with my nose.

What, you run out of hats?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Yeah, I'm not feeling it with Hoshoryu either.

I beg to differ-this is going to be a breakout basho for him. 11 wins minimum. Steak.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yohcun said:

He got into Makuuchi by considerable banzuke luck. I don't remember the last time we had 4 of 5 demoted Makuuchi rikishi demoted due to injuries. We shall see.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Yeah, I'm not feeling it with Hoshoryu either. His wins are technically solid, but his losses show quite a few vulnerabilities in his sumo. FWIW I think he was lucky to KK last basho, even though I was genuinely cheering him on. He has a lot of work to do both to bulk up and to escape his uncle's shadow; I'm not sure it's helping to be permanently compared to a dai-yokozuna.

Unfortunately for Takanosho, some families are quite odd that way, especially when you have a lot of kids and your attention is split. I don't get the sense that his family is sumo-mad otherwise his rise promotion would have been a much bigger deal; if he went into sumo without the express and explicit approval of his family I can see why he's got "meh, ok" reactions from them vs his nephew's birth. In which case nothing short of yokozuna might make them sit up and take notice.

Yeah, unlike his uncle, Hoshoryu is just a little thin, has many injuries at this stage and just doesn't seem as skilled, so I not counting on him making Yokozuna, though I think he might make Ozeki. Is it just me or do the nephews and sons never seem to match up to the original and why is that so? Don't think it's anything mental - it works for horses too (Secretariat). You think Hakuho's nephew is going make it? ;-)

48 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I beg to differ-this is going to be a breakout basho for him. 11 wins minimum. Steak.

1 hour ago, RabidJohn said:

What, you run out of hats?

If Hoshoryu gets 12 wins, I'll eat a hat. You heard it here first and I fully intend on keeping my promise. (Laughing...)

2 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Ibaraki prefecture was ranked the prefecture with the lowest popularity in all of Japan and escaped the cellar. http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/2364045/

Why is Ibaraki unpopular? 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

Just now, pricklypomegranate said:

Simply the place you least wanted to live in, but now it is 42. Apparently they don't have any super attractions, no splendid nature, not enough onsen resorts or whatever - lacking the things that make the region attractive for the people.

3 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Fully agree, I think he's going to take some time to bed in at this level. It isn't often I disagree with the great goldenballz but I'd be a little surprised if he gets to 9 this time. I also tend to think that a lot of truly great athletes in any sport are able to channel their anger into their game, but afterwards many of them do not succeed as coaches because of an inability to emphathise with pupils who may not always possess the same fire. So while I don't doubt he has motivated Hoshoryu to some degree, I do struggle to see whether Asashoryu's presence will be ultimately helpful to his career ceiling.

15 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Do any of Takayasu's nonspecific definitely not outspoken relatives still live there?

• Like 3

More Akua. He is 30 years old. "Age doesn't mean anything. I say 'I'm still thirty', not 'I'm already thirty'," he said. He remembered that back when he was 2-3 years in sumo, he met Harumafuji at a keiko session. Being in Sandanme, he didn't get to interact with him on the dohyo. "He was telling me to do this and do that. When I did good sumo, he praised me and that made me happy.  A few years later I met him when I was 27 in the elevator during a jungyo and was pretty sure he wouldn't remember me. He addressed me and asked me how old I was. I answered that I was already 27. He corrected me and said that I was just 27. That's when I realized it's important to say 'just' '" said Akua. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

More Takanoshou: "I'm in good shape. If I can just  continue like this and not succumb to fatigue.." he said. Last year while he was in Juryo he injured his right knee and went kyujo. He worked hard on forging his lower body, doing 400 foot stomps a day, doubling his former dose.  "If you don't be hard on yourself you are likely to reinjure yourself in the same place.. If I get a kachikoshi  it would be a good-feel ending of the year and that would be the best.." he summed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Is it just me or do the nephews and sons never seem to match up to the original and why is that so?

The obvious counterexamples are - ozeki father and son pair Tochiazuma, sekiwake Tsurugamine and his sons Sakahoko and Terao, and ozeki Takanohana with his yokozuna sons Takanohana and Wakanohana. Then there's the bedeviling example of the Naya princes and Kotonowaka - do we compare them to Taiho/Kotozakura or Takatoriki/Sadogatake-oyakata? Excluding son-in-law relationships which are related the wrong way round, I think we've got a bit too small of a sample size of uninjured father-and-son rikishi to conclude one way or the other. 

In fact, to my memory, other than Hoshoryu and Musashikuni, there're no one-generation descendants of yokozuna competing in sumo in recent years, and I don't think there's ever been a case of a yokozuna coaching his own son to the rank.

7 hours ago, yohcun said:

I guess it depends on your definitions of "forever" and "drubbing."

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Reonito said:

I guess it depends on your definitions of "forever" and "drubbing."

Wakatakakage went 4-0 on the dohyo so I'd say 2.5 years is indeed a long time.

I have faith in Akua to keep the train of successful debuts going.

11 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Simply the place you least wanted to live in, but now it is 42. Apparently they don't have any super attractions, no splendid nature, not enough onsen resorts or whatever - lacking the things that make the region attractive for the people.

Having lived there for a year, I can confirm that it's a very bland prefecture. 

• Haha 1

Kiribayama did the fundamentals today and borrowed Kakuryuu's chest for butsugari. "My shoulder is OK and my preparations are going well. It's important to end the year on a high note. I want to do my own sumo!" he declared.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/11/2020 at 19:10, Kaninoyama said:

Having lived there for a year, I can confirm that it's a very bland prefecture. 

I lived there for 11 months too, but I had a great time, and would go back any time.

• Like 1

On 01/11/2020 at 16:38, Gurowake said:

2 Yokozuna did not compete last basho.  If they both compete this basho and so does everyone else, there will be 16 rikishi above Tobizaru in rank competing, so he'll most likely only face those who have someone they can't face in the top 16. Of course, as the #17, he'll likely face a few of the maegashira in the top 16 as well, but those are much harder to predict (except for most likely Okinoumi and Hokutofuji on the first two days), like the final Komusubi matches.  But unless Kakuryu (or someone else) withdraws, my estimate is around half, probably slightly less, of his matches will be against those lower in rank.

Here's a mock up that's totally wrong in terms of which days they are likely to meet, though still being a legal schedule, showing how far down each rikishi needs to go down the banzuke.  I didn't include Takayasu as it got more challenging to keep it legal, but the point should remain (there's no one in Takayasu's heya up there).

image.png.1b6542107bd90997dd560784585ca579.png

I could show you an actual mock up of a schedule I anticipate, but I don't want to provide any hints to others playing Guess KisenosatoHokutofuji's Aite.

The Ys are out, sooo....

• Like 1