Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses- November 2020

Soon to be new Sekiwake Takanoshou was seen training today. "I have to be hard on myself during keiko, otherwise I won't get that kachikoshi next basho. I have to aim forever upwards. My objective- Ozeki !!" he said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Soon to be new Sekiwake Takanoshou was seen training today. "I have to be hard on myself during keiko, otherwise I won't get that kachikoshi next basho. I have to aim forever upwards. My objective- Ozeki !!" he said.

Right after the basho his new nephew was born . He has 5 siblings. "My brother had a new son and that was the center of excitement in my family  My 10 wins were met with an  'Oh, Ok' response.. I totally lost topic-wise.  All was taken away from me, " he joked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Yutakayama, suffering from a right ankle injury, trained at home today, mainly testing his tachiai. "I'm about 50-60%. I still can't do anything excessive. I'm able to be here (Tokyo, without having to go to Kyushu for he next basho) all the time, so I'm hoping to get over the injury thoroughly. " He has been training his upper body since a day after he went kyujo last basho and has started stomping this week. "Other than my ankle, I'm fine. Feeling- wise I'm OK.  I think if I could use my right leg more things will change for the better." His heyamate Shoudai was promoted to Ozeki. "I guess people will start to compare us from here on.. I think I have no choice but to gambarize!" he summed.

202010140000330-w1300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mitakeumi  faced Kiribayama, Aoiyama. Ichinojou and Nishikigi for 13 bouts at the Kyokai's training session today.. "Since we haven't been able to do this lately, it's a great opportunity. This happens mostly during jungyos and doing it (facing other sekitori) or not doing it is a world of difference.." He saw Shoudai and Takakeishou going at it fiercely. "It's a great stimulus to see that. I'm beginning to feel that I want to be a part of that. I don't want to be left behind, and since I'm in great shape, I'm aiming for that. I know what I need to do next basho so I'll diligently be doing my own sumo, aiming for double-digit wins while re-examining my own sumo," he said.

202010170000485-w1300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kiribayama was called out by Hakuhou to train today. "If I don't go all out, it's a discourtesy to the Yokozuna.. I gave it my all! I'm still not able to exert my usual power (injured left shoulder last basho, kyujo, but returning and getting his kachikoshi). I came here, my pain is subsiding, and I'm feeling good. I'm just thinking of strengthening my own sumo," he said.

202010180000382-w1300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Mitakeumi was overwhelmed by Hakuhou today: 1-22. "I tried to do my own sumo but it became the Yokozuna's pace. I just could not win.. I've been watching Shoudai and thinking 'that is awesome''.. I congratulated him when we met but he said getting congratulated by me was difficult for him and that has been an incentive for me to aim upwards quickly. I want to grab the chance as soon as I can. When I see Shoudai-zeki, that thought comes to me again.."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kotoshougiku will be demoted to Juryo for next basho.. "If I retire, I can get away from all the pressure and effort and the burden on my body, but I'm not there yet. If I can win I can come back up. Deep inside I know I have a chance, so I'm doing this. I don't want to leave things hanging - I want to end this with a result I can agree to. When I'm in dire straits my true nature emerges, and facing my problems is part of my true nature. " he said. "I have been speaking to a lot of people lately who have asked me to gambarize and continue and pursue my goal.  I think if I simply do that -  pursue my goal, things will turn out all right. As long as I focus on that, I'll be fine," he added. Today he trained, doing the fundamentals and lending his chest to Kotoshouhou for butsugari. His injured left calf is 90% healed, he explained, and he is planning on doing sumo training later on this week. "He told me he didn't want to retire like this, injury and all. Looking at his face, you see he has a strong resolve to overcome this. He still has the power, so the best for him would be to give it his all till the end," explained Sadogatake Oyakata.  

With Kotoshouhou:

202010200000494-w1300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Astute and long-time followers of sumo have guessed correctly that Takayasu was the mysterious last person in the 10-person degeiko session. Here is what he has to say: 

Source: https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202010210000384.html - photo from Sumo Kyokai's Twitter, where he is training with Kiribayama. 

Ek1OvaMUUAAqhgR?format=jpg&name=4096x409

The former Ozeki is looking very good as he is expecting a return to the sanyaku ranks and winning 10/14 of his bouts today. He had much to say about his life outside of sumo, especially his first child, which is expected to arrive soon: 

Takayasu: [About degeiko] I wasn't feeling well when the degeiko started, so I didn't participate [until today]." 

Takayasu: [About his personal affairs] "I am receiving support. My wife is having a difficult time, so we are trying to support each other. I'm not going to retire yet. I have to do my best in sumo so that I can look good when my child is born [and potentially see himself going into the sport]." 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The loveable Enho has broken his silence. In his interview with the Hokkoku Shimbun, which I will give the gist of, he gives an honest, yet optimistic look at his recent make-koshi streak: 

Enho (Miyagino Stable, Kanazawa City, Kanazawa Gakuin University alumni) celebrated his 26th birthday on the 18th. He responded to an interview with the Hokkoku Shimbun yesterday and gave promotion to sanyaku as his goal for the next year. Looking back at his make-koshi streak, he said, "My physical and mental state was weak, but now I am enriched with mental skills." Yokozuna Hakuho ordered him to increase his weight by 18kg to fulfil his 110kg "winning plan". To accomplish this, Enho is eating three bowls of rice. 

He turned from employment at a general company to jumping into the world of sumo wrestling. "It's been four years since I started, and I'm now 26 years old. With this small body, I didn't expect [my career] to work. It's so strange to be in Makuuchi." Enho laughed. 

[...] 

In addition to his well-publicised neck pain, he also injured his wrist. He mounted the dohyo with no excuse, but admitted, "My heart wasn't there. When I was on the rise, I felt determined even if I couldn't practice. Last basho, I was totally out of it." 

Last basho, when Enho started with 2 wins and 8 losses, his mother sent him a message on his smartphone. It contained the energetic appearance of children at his alma mater, Daitoku Elementary School with them saying "Do you best, Enho!". "Some children did shiko to support me, and I couldn't help but smile. They gave me strength." Enho beamed. The next day, he brilliantly scored a win and achieved a revival of 4 wins and 1 loss until Senshuraku. 

Surgery is needed to completely cure his neck pain, but the treatment has helped calm it down. Enho called the eating "the hardest practice". Hakuho ordered, "If you want to rise, you need 110kg. Don't go home until you eat three bowls of rice." As well we know, Enho doesn't like the aroma of freshly cooked white rice. On the 20th during lunch Enho managed to eat three bowls of rice under the imperious Yokozuna's gaze (emphasis mine), but complained, "I suffered so much I couldn't move until the evening." 

As he receives the Yokozuna's "whip of love", Enho commented, "Recently, my performance has been weak, but I want to show my hometown fans a rejuvenated appearance. My body is full and I will aim for sanyaku in the next year." 

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Imagine having Hokuho over your shoulder watching you eat. That’s quite a bit of weight for Enho to gain from where he was last tournament. 

22 minutes ago, Shinobi Steve said:

Imagine having Hokuho over your shoulder watching you eat. That’s quite a bit of weight for Enho to gain from where he was last tournament. 

I don't think Enho would have even the privilege of that. Looking at past videos, it's more like Hakuho sitting at the head of the table and Enho at the side, so it might be a full on stare. I would have lost my appetite. (Laughing...)

Kiribayama had 10 bouts today, the last day of the Kyokai Kamp. He was seen picking up 169 kilo Juryo Nishikigi but unable to deposit him outside of the ring, reminding some of his shisho Ex-Kirishima. "I've always wanted to do that, but I never get the chance during a basho to get in that position..  If I do get the chance, I'd like to do it." he said.  He faced Takayasu for six bouts today and lost them all. He may be facing him during the coming basho. "Today, I wanted to face Takayasu more than anyone else. After all, he is an ex-Ozeki .. If I don't hit hard it doesn't become my sumo. It was a good lesson. Now, I'd like to train with Kakuryuu at the heya," he summed.

202010220000281-w1300_0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Last day of the Kyokai kamp- Shoudai was absent, as was Takakeishou. Hakuhou, Takayasu,  Kiribayama, Aoiyama, Ichinojou. Juryo Ikioi and Nishikigi plus the Makushita lads were present. Hakuhou only did the fundamentals.

Hakuhou ose kavod lachevre: (If anyone can identify them, that would be very nice..)

202010220000275-w1300_0.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Last day of the Kyokai kamp- Shoudai was absent, as was Takakeishou. Hakuhou, Takayasu,  Kiribayama, Aoiyama, Ichinojou. Juryo Ikioi and Nishikigi plus the Makushita lads were present. Hakuhou only did the fundamentals.

Hakuhou ose kavod lachevre: (If anyone can identify them, that would be very nice..)

202010220000275-w1300_0.jpg

Roga, far right?