Bugman

How to get back into Sumo after a long time away?

Well guys i've been largely away from Sumo for a long time now, partly due to an initial confusion with knowing where to actually watch it once it was no longer streamed by the Kyokai itself, (I can't remember what year they stopped), but more because of a long-standing ill-health which affects me greatly, i have nevertheless decided i'd like to spend more of my time reading, thinking about, and perhaps watching Sumo if possible.

I've forgotten almost everything, especially with regard to Sumo's terms, so i'm pretty much a beginner again.  What sites, old-re-runs of documentaries, knowledge-databases, news-clips, Youtube channels, or anything Sumo related would you recommend me to go look at, in an effort to relight my Sumo fire?

Edit* Hmm, i just had the thought this may be the wrong forum to post this, as it is Sumo-related it could possibly go in Ozumo discussions, but since this is a question and not a discussion per-se, i'm unsure.  I'll let a moderator decide if they come across it, apologies if it is indeed in the wrong place.

Edited by Bugman

I am sorry to hear about your poor health. I hope it improves. 

In a way it is good that you have forgotten almost everything about sumo. I believe that most of us enjoy sumo the most when we can't really tell rikishi apart and don't know what to expect from a bout. This fresh look is part of the fun.

That aside, all the references that you must have used before are probably still there. Try watching some sumo and then checking here and elsewhere for things you don't know but would like to. I feel it is more productive than trying to store loads of information without any context.

• Like 1

Thank you Shumitto i appreciate it, i agree with you about the feeling of being new again, i feel that excitement i felt some years back and i think i am recovering my 'Sumo-mojo'.  I had my interest piqued again by a new (at least new to me), channel on Youtube i came across called 'Chris Sumo'.  So i've been watching a few really interesting videos on there, and one of NHK's videos on the old legend that even i can't forget...the moment i typed that i forgot his name.  He was a famous Yokozuna and known as 'the wolf', *quick Google*    Ah yes, Chiyonofuji!  So as you can see, my memory needs all the help and jolting it can get :)

You haven't been gone that long, as I fondly remember your posts and I joined in Sept. 2017.  Glad to have you back in action, especially in the Haiku corner.

Edited by Yamanashi
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

You haven't been gone that long, as I fondly remember your posts and I joined in Sept. 2017.  Glad to have you back in action, especially in the Haiku corner.

I joined around 2011 but i haven't been actively and truly following the sport itself since perhaps 2015 or so, i have stuck around the off-topic though, like a suspicious smell that never quite leaves entirely :-D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hope your health improves and you feel better soon!

I’m pretty new to Sumo and very new to the forum. YouTube is how I first got interested in Sumo. I’m glad you found the Chris Sumo channel. That channel has been very interesting and informative to me. 

I first got interested in Sumo by randomly seeing a daily recap from Kintamayama’s channel on YouTube. Shortly after I found that channel, I also started to watch Jason’s All-Sumo channel. He only shows select bouts, but he gives his own commentary during the buildup. I have learned a lot from listening to him. If you don’t already follow those two on YouTube, then certainly subscribe to both of them.

Also, basically everytime I read a post on the forum I have to open Wikipedia to look up a term. The basic list of Sumo terms on Wikipedia has been very helpful to me. There is a link at the top of the forum homepage. 

• Like 1

Hi Bugman,  I remember your posts, too!  We are all glad to have you back.  I'm sorry to hear of your health problems.  I have health problems, too, that limit my mobility, so I try to focus on the fact that I still have my mind (you sound like you still have yours too!!).  As long as we have our minds, we can find joy in living.  Sumo is one of the things that brings joy to my life.  One can never run out of things to learn.  There are always new rikishi rising through the ranks and watching them succeed gives such pleasure.  In your case, rediscovering old favorites like Chiyonofuji is wonderful, isn't it?  Chiyonofuji is one of my favorites, too, even though he was before my time.  I have been on Sumo Forum since Jan 2014.

Have you had a chance to watch any Enho Youtube videos?  He is only about 99kg and is absolutely amazing to watch!!  He got his kachi-koshi 4 basho in a row and only recently has had some problems getting enough wins.  There are several Youtube videos put out by someone named "Monkey Fist" that I have especially enjoyed watching.  You might enjoy them, too!  Here is one from July of this year, although I guess I could have picked a better one since he was make-koshi in this basho.  "Monkey Fist" also has Enho videos from July, Sept & Nov 2019, and Jan, Mar and Sept of this year.

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 2

Bugman, here is my favorite Enho video and I think you might like it, too. It's from Jan of this year, when Enho got his 4th kachi-koshi in a row.  THIS is the video I use to try to recruit new sumo fans, which I find very difficult to do here in Texas.  It's worked twice now!!!  ***** WATCH VIDEO FIRST BEFORE READING MY FURTHER COMMENTS! *****  The highlights are 1) incredible shitatenage underarm throw --- poor Takarafuji!; 2) this time, poor Enho --- he tried to fight Tochinoshin head-on and got a tsuridashi lift out in return!; 3) Fantastic long back-and-forth bout with Endo ending with Enho pushing Endo out (oshidashi)!; 4) Amazing battle with Takayasu with another stunning shitatenage underarm throw!; 5) Unbelievable Ashitori leg pick --- Abi didn't know what hit him!; 6) poor Meisei --- Enho grabbed his seriously injured arm and executed a strong shitatedashinage pulling underarm throw!

Edited by sumojoann
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Shinobi Steve said:

first got interested in Sumo by randomly seeing a daily recap from Kintamayama’s channel on YouTube. Shortly after I found that channel, I also started to watch Jason’s All-Sumo channel.

2 great channels there i had forgotten about too, Kintamayama's humour is inimitable, whilst Jason's channel (or rather i should say his first channel, which wasn't exclusively dedicated to Sumo back then) was the one that got me interested in the sport to begin with.  He's a big Harumafuji fan if i remember rightly, way back from the days when his shikona was Ama. SHIKONA! It seems some Sumo terms had been lurking in my subconscious just waiting to re-emerge.

3 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Have you had a chance to watch any Enho Youtube videos?  He is only about 99kg and is absolutely amazing to watch!!

I have but not very much, i  seem to remember that the Japanese fans (and perhaps many others) likened him to the famous Mainoumi in size and skill, i just finished watching both videos now and i'm very impressed, those are some big names he's up against,Takayasu for example i know is incredibly strong and determined.  I don't recognise the terms you've used for the techniques but that's something i can begin to (re)learn slowly, i think i'd like to find out where everyone is ranked at the moment too, as i haven't a clue who has been promoted or who has left. Thank you all for your kind wishes regarding my health, i wish the same to all of you.

Edited by Bugman
  • Like 1

Bugman. Now there's a name I've not heard in a long, long time. Welcome back!

I always have this site opened in a separate tab:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_sumo_terms

And if you want to read english sumo news, try Tachiai blog and the news-link collection here at sumoforum.

https://tachiai.org

• Like 1

Oh yes, the glossary. Unupdated for good fifteen years. Somewhere on my computer I have a simple text file with terms that aren't listed yet. That file has probably been worked on 2010s. :-P

http://www.sumoforum.net/glossary.html

Oh yes, and the 1,000-page book in Finnish we were supposed to write about sumo… I wonder which decade we'll start that one.

• Like 1

Those are great suggestions, thank you guys, i think i have enough to go on now. i'm slowly recapturing the old Sumo magic :)

Edited by Bugman

12 hours ago, John Gunning said:

I did a bite-sized series called Sumo 101 and Rikishi Files in the Japan Times for those relatively new to the sport.

I tried to fit in at least one interesting piece of information for more experienced fans in each piece.

Our show Grand Sumo Preview airs on NHK World on the Friday before each basho (and is available on demand online for few weeks thereafter).

Welcome back.

So far i've watched the September highlights video and read the first article on Kashiwado, who i had never heard of.  In a coincidence that confirms your point about him being somewhat overshadowed despite his skill, when i googled his name the first photograph that i saw was Taiho's.  There's something very 'Sumo' i feel about eclipsed excellence, doing your best despite not being seen (as much), and adding to the overall greatness of the sport quietly, for without great rivals the champions that everyone knows of would not be so well remembered.  The fact about his Heya now being the smallest in Sumo today was also a nice factoid, really interesting stuff.  Thank you John, i look forward to reading the rest of them.

Edited by Bugman