I stumbled across this thread while trying to see if anyone had commented on the (unrelated) Ozeki Araiwa, who the DB says was born Feb 29 1871 (not a leap year?). What an amazing read, and how sad that Cal didn't get to see his memoirs published. I wonder if @since_94 has had any chance to follow this up with Cal's relatives in more recent days?

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 08:50, Yarimotsu said:

Feb 29 1871 (not a leap year?)

If this is not just an error it's a bit of a puzzle. I was wondering if it was a combination of Japan still using the Julian calendar and a super-late Lunar new year.

Another possibility is that Japan was using the Emperor's era for the calendar. Meiji 3 would have run from September 1870, which was a leap year to September 1871.

On 12/02/2024 at 19:50, Yarimotsu said:

I stumbled across this thread while trying to see if anyone had commented on the (unrelated) Ozeki Araiwa, who the DB says was born Feb 29 1871 (not a leap year?). What an amazing read, and how sad that Cal didn't get to see his memoirs published. I wonder if @since_94 has had any chance to follow this up with Cal's relatives in more recent days?

According to JP wikipedia, he was born on April 18 1871, which was the 29th day of the second lunar month on the old kyureki calendar. No source for this info, and EN wiki says 1 March for some reason.

• Like 1