Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O- November 2020

25 minutes ago, Asapedroryu said:

Also, i'm not sure about it, but believe you can leave after you retire and then come back, correct? (Think thats what Musashigawa did)

As a yokozuna, Musashimaru was allowed to retire using his active status shikona.  While he was waiting for the Musashigawa kabu to come available, he then temporarily used the Furiwake and Oshima kabu.  He never left the kyokai.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Asojima said:

As a yokozuna, Musashimaru was allowed to retire using his active status shikona.  While he was waiting for the Musashigawa kabu to come available, he then temporarily used the Furiwake and Oshima kabu.  He never left the kyokai.

He had also been a Japanese citizen for several years.

The rules are very clear - you have to have Japanese citizenship to become an elder. If Kakuryu retires before that happens, he's out and won't be able to come back. 

1. It is very unusual to read about such early preparation. Covid... changed a lot.

2. I am very surprised that Japanese citizenship is so difficult and long to obtain. More like Kakuryu didn't really want to get it.

Asanoyama: "My shisho is retiring after November, so I would very much like to get the yusho for him. Not only me, but all heya rikishi should try to get good results for his sake."

This took me a minute to process.  How do good results translate to potent potables?

Then I read it again and figured out what I had wrong.

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Asanoyama trained this morning-suriashi with 25 kilo weights, and lending his chest to the lower rankers for butsugari. He planned to train his upper body in the afternoon."This morning I concentrated on my lower body. I did stuff with balance in mind, thinking about my next moves. I need to build up strength so that I can do battle through the 15 days. Last basho when I lost my first three bouts I found myself rushing into things to get that win and I was not calm. Regarding the shin gi tai (heart, technique, body, the sumo mantra), all I had was the body.. No technique, and the most important thing, heart, was not there I guess. I had no presence of mind. It's not that I can't win for the 15 days if these three don't line up, but they are necessary,"  he explained.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Takakeishou trained this morning, still only the fundamentals, checking out his tachiai as well. He is focusing on strengthening his lower body. He has injured both knees in the past. "When I was injured it felt as if I was doing sumo on an exercise ball.. When you're not able to move your legs well you lose the feel. Your sumo collapses. Doing shiko and suriashi is important!" he explained.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Prince Shoudai is back from his triumphant return to his home town and has started training. The keiko-ba at the heya hasn't dried up yet (probably made a new one lately) so he couldn't do anything inside the dohyo- just dumbbells and 40 kilo barbells power training and suriashi and the other fundamentals.  He returned on the 10th after taking part in a lot of functions and ceremonies. "Truth be told, I didn't get any rest. I was totally knackered a lot.. Now that all the ceremonies are done, I can  concentrate on sumo. I don't think the fatigue I felt will have much influence on my preparations. As for participating in the degeiko at the KKan institute (October 16-22),  I have more or less made my decision. It all depends on my condition. I want to be ready physically, since degeiko is a scary thing if you're not physically prepared. There is no point in going out there and getting injured if you're not ready yet. I'd like to go if I can. I'll start doing sumo and see and decide. When is the degeiko supposed to start? The 16th? I'll do my best to be ready Biden by then. " During his visit back home he spent some quality time with his parents. "My mom made some curry. Man, my mom's cooking is good.." he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hakuryuho said:

Is there any news on Hakuho participating in the November basho?

No, but I'd say that's a bad sign. I don't believe either Yokozuna has resumed training yet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hakuryuho said:

Is there any news on Hakuho participating in the November basho?

I'm a big Hakuho fan but I'm really not worried about his competing in November. He had a knee injury requiring endoscopic surgery and is taking his time to rehabilitate. He has absolutely nothing more to prove and It wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes kyujo in November. When you have 44 yushos, missing the chance to get one more soon really doesn't matter. 

One thing is certain.  When he does return to competition, Hakuho will be as healthy as possible. And a physically fit Hakuho is bad news for every rikishi competing against him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 08/10/2020 at 16:11, Ichimawashi said:

Asanoyama: "My shisho is retiring after November, so I would very much like to get the yusho for him. Not only me, but all heya rikishi should try to get good results for his sake."

This took me a minute to process.  How do good results translate to potent potables?

Then I read it again and figured out what I had wrong.

:)

https://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Bottle_of_Pete's_Sake

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terunofuji trained today at home-did real sumo. He faced Takarafuji and Midorifuji for 10 bouts and won them all. He actually started sumo training two days ago. "While strengthening my upper body, I'm working on moving my lower body as well, slowly but Shirley. Shoudai's promotion has inspired me. We are of the same age, and I was the quickest to get promoted around my age group, and also the quickest to get demoted.. It seems that my age group has been blooming lately. I'm also feeling like an up- and -comer.. Sanyaku next basho? The next three bashos will be important for me. No time to dilly-dally. If you do it, you gotta do it right!" Will you participate in the Kyokai's degeiko? "I haven't decided yet. It depends on who else will be participating. I don't want to go there and find guys standing around. I want to face guys who have beaten me recently and try to check out what shape I'm in," he summed.

202010140000415-w1300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Asanoyama today - still the fundamentals only. "There still is some time till shonichi, but it's only a few days before the banzuke is announced. I want to up the pace and build my body. I will not be going to the Kyokai's degeiko - I want to up the pace at the heya. Before you know it, the banzuke will be announced and I don't want to waste any time and will be training accordingly. " he said. Last basho he started off with three losses and said he felt a lack of heart. "It's not that you can forge that in training. Experience is important and I'm getting used to this position (Ozeki) and learning from every basho. I feel that in some areas I have reached the point where I know how to control my feeling.." he added.

202010140000298-w1300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Shoudai also did only the fundamentals plus some squats today during training at his heya. Will he be going to the Kyokai's keiko sessions? "Whatever I do, I have no idea what kind of power I will be able to exert during the first half of the basho. I don't want to overdo things. I just started moving my body lately..", he explained, avoiding a direct answer. As an  Ozeki, he can now enter the Kokugikan with a car. "Nothing will change. I think I will be walking the 700 meters, 8 minute walk from the heya to the venue as usual.." he said. He is being called "Ozeki" by people on the streets. "I still haven't gotten completely used to it, some times wondering 'does he mean me?'. Not many Ozekis roam the streets, you know.." he summed.

202010140000313-w1300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 06/10/2020 at 06:20, Jakusotsu said:

Exactly. Every reporter starting their interview with "how do you feel?" should be banned for life.

I completely agree. How about it, sumo press corps? Can we have a little style? A little panache? Ganbatte kudsai!

Out of curiosity, can a Yokozuna be forced to retire if they keep missing basho? I know that the powers that be can reprimand or recommend retiring, but if Hakuho or Kakuryu want to sit out three or more basho, could they theoretically do that with out being forced out of sumo?

8 hours ago, Katsunorifuji said:

Out of curiosity, can a Yokozuna be forced to retire if they keep missing basho? I know that the powers that be can reprimand or recommend retiring, but if Hakuho or Kakuryu want to sit out three or more basho, could they theoretically do that with out being forced out of sumo?

In theory, his shisho could submit his intai papers.

Mr. Shoudai has started sumo training today, finally. He faced 5 rikishi Makushita and under for 9 bouts and won them all. "My body was a bit stiff. My body and what I had in mind did not meet.. It's pretty much as usual after a layoff.. If I go to the Kyokai's keiko sessions, I'd like to face all of the rikishi energetically- moshi-ai will be good (as opposed to sanban geiko, where you do a few consecutive bouts with the same opponent). I wonder what the atmosphere would be like.. I just don't want to get injured. I'm listening to my body as I train. It seems time is somewhat running out.. If I'm tired it might not result in good things.." he said.

202010150000293-w1300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Takakeishou, OTOH, has yet to do any sumo- today he lent his chest for butsugari and concentrated on the fundamentals. Asked if he will be joining the Kyokaikeiko: "Now. it all comes down to the bouts themselves. I'll be checking my physical condition  and going about it, trying to match it with my own plans and giving it my all. I've got to become stronger so I would like to do what I can do. After all, we haven't had a lot of opportunities to do this (degeiko) lately.  I would like to proceed without taking any unnecessary chances." The November basho will be held in Tokyo and not in Kyushu as per usual. "I have very fond memories from Kyushu bashos. In 2014, I had my first yusho in my debut basho. 2016- Juryo yusho. 2018, Makuuchi yusho.. These are the times at present so it is what it is. If I will be able to show good form on TV.." he summed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Katsunorifuji said:

Someone more qualified than me will likely have something more to say, but I'd say that would depend on their respective oyakata and the pressure that can be put on them by the Kyokai, at least as one route to force retirement. An oyakata can submit resignation papers on behalf of  their wrestlers, and my recollection is it is just as binding whether the wrestler wants to retire or note. See, for example, Futahaguro's case (from Wikipedia):

"His stablemaster handed in Futahaguro’s retirement papers without consulting him and the elders of the Sumo Association voted, without giving Futahaguro a hearing, to accept it. Futahaguro became the first yokozuna ever to be expelled from sumo this way." 

My understanding is the YDC has no real power at all. They can recommend retirement all day but the Kyokai needs to act on it. They have to have some mechanism to remove wrestlers against their will, but the question is if the Kyokai would risk the PR trouble of expelling a yokozuna like this. I don't think they will, because they haven't expelled yokozuna for this in the past. That could change if it looks like one of them is malingering, but as long as they show up when they can and don't get caught doing something they shouldn't be doing (like playing soccer while kyujo), they will be allowed to limp to retirement.

14 hours ago, Katsunorifuji said:

Takanohana and Kisenosato missed or didn’t complete multiple tournaments in a row (albeit after injuries) before they were “recommended” to retire