Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O- November 2020

Posted (edited)

Asanoyama has started training for November. Shiko and suriashi fundamentals. "I rested well this last week, everything was as usual. My shisho is retiring after November, so I would very much like to get the yusho for him. Not only me, but all heya rikishi should try to get good results for his sake. I would like to remember what he has taught me and show the results in November.." Regarding Shoudai's ascension: "It brings a lot of excitement to the sumo world and it is a stimulus to me in a good way.  The feeling that I don't want to lose emerges.. My last meeting with him (day 14, got thrown down like a rag doll) led to a disappointing result. I haven't lost that badly in a while. It's annoying that Shoudai-zeki became Ozeki,"  he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

This made me smile. Asanoyama says the right thing, then says something reflective, then the truth emerges: it's annoying!

10 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

This made me smile. Asanoyama says the right thing, then says something reflective, then the truth emerges: it's annoying!

This is the sanspo version o

In other articles he first is quoted saying that it's annoying and then the rest o o

4 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

This is the sanspo version o

In other articles he first is quoted saying that it's annoying and then the rest o o

And they explain that he meant it’s annoying because he couldn’t be a proper "wall" to Shoudai.

Posted (edited)

Not sure if the inability to prepare belongs on this thread, but here goes, and I hope my interpretation of the source isn't too off: 

2019083000560_juj3x2.thumb.jpg.74e0137b3feafb5f5e6b75cb70573d5f.jpg

Above: Kakuryu training on 19th August. 

Things do not look sunny for the Yokozuna. A reporter reveals that Kakuryu might not participate in November as he is not healing, as indicated by his still high white blood cell count and weak broken elbow. Furthermore, it was revealed that he might not expect to get Japanese citizenship soon as he is unable to sever his Mongolian citizenship and applied shortly before 2018 - it took Hakuho FIVE years to obtain his - substantially longer than previously thought by most fans. Further revelations included Harumafuji trying to naturalise himself so that he could remain an oyakata (but this was stopped due to obvious reasons). The article ends with Kakuryu wishing to fulfil one of the late Izutsu oyakata's (moto-Sakahoko's) last wishes to revive Izutsu-beya as he is "the only one that can" (quote). 

Source: https://friday.kodansha.co.jp/article/138477

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

Shoudai (welcome to the thread) has begun training today- fundamentals, muscle training and a lot of perspiring. "I think I've been able to take it easy these last few days and i think I'm well rested.." he says, all the promotion commotion notwithstanding. Asked if he has any message to his local townspeople: "I've been commenting on that all over the place to many outlets and am being criticized on the internet for saying the same things over and over again.. I AM saying the same things, because what can you say different every time? 'He's saying the same things AGAIN' is what I keep hearing, so maybe enough of that??" said Shoudai, seemingly offended somewhat.. "I'm feeling the pressure now, much more than recent bashos. I want my presence as a new Ozeki to be felt by everyone. First of all, kachikoshi, and I hope to be able to concentrate on doing my own sumo till the end. I will be putting the weight training at the center of my training regimen to build my body, and then do sumo and reaffirm my sumo sense.." he summed. He has been on TV a lot lately. "Again, I feel I have many supporters rooting for me. I think I have been able to live up to their expectations in Aki.." he summed even more.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Takakeishou resumed training today-squats, barbells, for an hour and a half. "I don't have much of a body so I have to hone the offensive abilities of my tsuki-oshi skills and pile up that power. I think Shoudai was promoted because he is strong. He's an Ozeki now so he should look forward and  gambarize . I don't want to lose to any of them (Ozekis). I think they all think that.. As for November, I'm an Ozeki so I have to yusho. I will aim for that and gambarize!1" he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"I want to do my style of sumo/take it one bout at a time/gambarize till the end." Rikishi have been blandly mouthing the same words ever since I can remember. How come Shodai's the one to suddenly get criticized?

He says he's well rested. Has he had an easier time than most following his hatsu yusho due to the virus restrictions; i.e. much less partying?

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

"I don't have much of a body ..." 

That made me laugh. I know what he means, but still...

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

"I want to do my style of sumo/take it one bout at a time/gambarize till the end." Rikishi have been blandly mouthing the same words ever since I can remember. How come Shodai's the one to suddenly get criticized?

Not many rikishi are asked to say a few words to their hometown fans after they become the first Ozeki  in 58 years from said hometown.. It's not the usual cases of usual  interviews. The expectations are higher I guess, but really..

Edited by Kintamayama

1 hour ago, RabidJohn said:

That is just the reappearance of negative Shodai: he searched the net to see what is written about him  - maybe he never did that before and is simply disappointed about the results, as he still always is one to mostly see the negative

• Like 2

I hope Kakuryu can at least show up. I'll be depressed if he has to intai, but even moreso if his last ever bout was falling on his ass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

That is just the reappearance of negative Shodai: he searched the net to see what is written about him  - maybe he never did that before and is simply disappointed about the results, as he still always is one to mostly see the negative

One should never read one's reviews when one is in showbusiness, darling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

When tennis player Kim Clijsters was criticised by the press for saying the same boring things in her post-match press conferences, she said something along the lines of 'What do you expect when you keep asking the same boring questions?'

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Exactly. Every reporter starting their interview with "how do you feel?" should be banned for life.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, yohcun said:

I hope Kakuryu can at least show up. I'll be depressed if he has to intai, but even moreso if his last ever bout was falling on his ass.

I'm sure there'll be at least one more abortive comeback attempt before he succumbs to the inevitable.

Edited by ryafuji

3 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

I'm sure there'll be at least one more abortive comeback attempt before he succumbs to the inevitable.

I am just praying the Mongolian President releases him quick and he gets at least 10 wins this time. That would be enough to satisfy me, but ain't nothin' gonna satisfy the YDC. 

Posted (edited)

Quick Q and A with Shoudai today:

Q: It's been a week since the basho ended..

A: i was very busy. The one week rest period flew by..

Q:  How did you celebrate after your Ozeki promotion?

A: I didn't plan on doing anything and I have no plans for the future. I just want to leisurely let my body rest and hope to build my body well, is what I'm thinking..

Q: You have empowered the citizens of Kumamoto with your yusho..

A: I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but  I hope to continue bringing them good news..

Q: Now, there's going to be a heated battle between the three Ozeki. Are you conscious of that?

A: No, I'm not. From here on I think it's going to be emotional..

Q: As an Ozeki, you can now enter the Kokugikan's parking lot with a car.. What car do you want?

A: I'm large, so I think a car that I can sit in comfortably would be cool..

He is planning to travel to Kumamoto on a triumphant homecoming trip from tomorrow for three days. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Q: Now, there's going to be a heated battle between the three Ozeki. Are you conscious of that?

A: No, I'm not. From here on I think it's going to be emotional..

I'm confused here. How can you be emotional about something you're not conscious of? I'm I missing something?

Just now, nelimw said:

I'm confused here. How can you be emotional about something you're not conscious of? I'm I missing something?

He doesn't think it's going to be heated. He thinks it will be emotional. He was asked if he feels it would be heated. He doesn't.

4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

He doesn't think it's going to be heated. He thinks it will be emotional. He was asked if he feels it would be heated. He doesn't.

Ohhh. Ok I understand what you're saying here. Thanks for the clarification. 

8 hours ago, yohcun said:

I've thought the exact same thing a few times...

Well, we all know the YDC doesn't have the power to dissmiss a rikishi, but you know how that conversation goes...

From what I have gathered regarding Kakuryu's situation, he has been told he must perform well the next time he enters a basho. I don't recall him being told he must enter the upcoming basho. I expect him to sit out November and return in January (if his elbow is functioning painlessly). If he gets 10+ wins in January, then I think he endures for another year (or until his citizenship can be changed). If he enters in January (or whenever) and has to withdraw again, then intai.

• Like 1

Shodai comes across very humble in those remarks. When told that he empowered the citizens of Kumamoto he just shrugged it off. The line about being a large man and just wanting to sit comfortably in a car made me laugh. 

4 hours ago, Oshirokita said:

If he gets 10+ wins in January, then I think he endures for another year (or until his citizenship can be changed). If he enters in January (or whenever) and has to withdraw again, then intai.

How does it work if he retires before geting citizenship? Does he have to leave the sumo association or he can stay with a different status until he becomes japanese?

Also, i'm not sure about it, but believe you can leave after you retire and then come back, correct? (Think thats what Musashigawa did)