Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

New recruits Haru 2021

4 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

The order of the shinjo shusse rikishi, with new shikona in kanji

Kimura Sakaigawa Saitama 豪正龍

Potential first recruit by Goeido ... looking at the kanji.

6 minutes ago, Raishu said:
12 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

The order of the shinjo shusse rikishi, with new shikona in kanji

Potential first recruit by Goeido ... looking at the kanji.

May be a coincidence. Said recruit's full name, from the NSK website, is 木村 豪斗, so the best that can be said is his shikona is created with the same mechanism as Goeido's.

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

May be a coincidence. Said recruit's full name, from the NSK website, is 木村 豪斗, so the best that can be said is his shikona is created with the same mechanism as Goeido's.

Ah, I see. I didn't bother to look up his real name. :-D

Your assumption seems to fit way better then. :-)

Just now, Raishu said:

Ah, I see. I didn't bother to look up his real name. :-D

Your assumption seems to fit way better then. :-)

I'll admit I wanted to check if I'd read it correctly as Goseiryu, and only came across his name completely by accident. This fella seems to have been fated to be in sumo; shares a naming mech with Goeido and has Kimura as a family name to boot!

On 14/03/2021 at 12:05, Naganoyama said:

Takahashi 高橋 Takahashi Hidetada Isegahama 170 94 20 - July - 2001 Aomori

Yoshinofuji 美ノ富士 after graduation from Goshogawara high school went 1 year to a vocational school for cooking and has just graduated from there, so he has a 1 year blank from sumo after leaving the club of the sumo stronghold school, that also produced his oyakata, ex-Asahifuji. He couldn't cut off his affection to the dohyo: "The one year blank is big, but I'll get stronger little by little." http://www.toonippo.co.jp/articles/-/494054

dad on the left, the Goshogawara coach on the right

img_91ae6f8704e7dade58b5b0131e6c2b477722

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Yoshinofuji 美ノ富士 after graduation from Goshogawara high school went 1 year to a vocational school for cooking and has just graduated from there, so he has a 1 year blank from sumo after leaving the club of the sumo stronghold school, that also produced his oyakata, ex-Asahifuji.

Wow. He's going to be in hot demand as the chankoban.

• Haha 1

Nishihara 西原 Nishihara Takato Tagonoura 178 122 24 - October - 2002 Hyogo

Araiso came for Nishihara today, he had scouted him himself. To the about 60 who saw him off he declared "I'll make it to sekitori in 3 years". Araiso met him Natsu 2019, at keiko of his Hotoku gakuen high school club together with university students, and told him: "When you refine your skills you'll get strong. By all means come to us." Nishihara was nowhere near national titles, so he was bewildered, but in the mood "I got the seal of approval", he decided to join. Last year with the Corona break he endeavored to build his body. Araiso appreciates his tsuki-oshi and told in front of the parents: "So he can return next time as sekitori, I want to have him put up with hard keiko." http://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/sports/202104/0014210336.shtml

a_14210337.jpg

• Like 6

On 27/02/2021 at 17:02, Yubinhaad said:

Joining Takasago-beya are the brothers Yoshida from Shima, Mie prefecture. Older brother Raiki (吉田 雷希), 22, joins from Tokai University's Shoyo High School in Shizuoka and is 167cm, 79kg. Younger brother Kiryu (吉田 桐龍), 18, joins from Gifu Agricultural & Forestry High School and is 169cm, 81kg.

While in elementary school they both attended the same sumo club as stablemates Asagyokusei and Murata, the latter also being from Shima.

The elder Yoshida brother started doing sumo in elementary school at the Shiyukan Sumo Dojo in Shima, Mie prefecture, which has Shimanoumi among its notable alumni. However, after starting at Fumioka Junior High School he joined the track and field club as a sprinter. In 2012 he ran the second leg in the 4 x 100m relay team that won gold in the Chiba junior high school championships.

He continued sprinting at Shoyo High School and set a 100m personal best of 11.00 seconds, and was still active in Gifu Keizai university (now Gifu Kyoritsu). However, he was still keen on sumo and decided to join Takasago-beya alongside his younger brother, while he still had time.

His shikona is Asasorai (朝走雷), the second kanji is a nod to his athletics background - it means run.

Yoshida is #2313 in these pictures.

200329sumo02.jpg

20210329-00010003-getsuriku-000-1-view.j

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 27/02/2021 at 10:42, Hakuryuho said:

I call this picture the "Smile Gradient"

Beyond brilliant!

(you will be contacted by a representative of our society)

• Like 1

A former sprinter turning into a rikishi?  Well, i guess it's more likely than a long-distance runner, but if it were any athletics competitor, I would have assumed shot put or hammer throw, as those guys tend to be bulkier.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2021 at 10:39, Seiyashi said:

I don't know if I've seen 正 in a shikona other than Shodai's before, and for Shodai's it's just his real name.  It doesn't really seem to fit with the regular set of kanji that are frequently used.

Note: Quoting an embedded quote in another post gives the wrong author in the quote.

Edited by Gurowake

8 hours ago, Gurowake said:

I don't know if I've seen 正 in a shikona other than Shodai's before, and for Shodai's it's just his real name.  It doesn't really seem to fit with the regular set of kanji that are frequently used.

It is fairly rare, but not completely unused - read as sho(u), sei, or masa (so it could be Goshoryu rather than Goseiryu, which sounds a bit better IMO), the most prominent bearer of that character outside the top division is Tamashoho, Tamawashi's brother in law who joined him relatively recently at Kataonami-beya (and changed his shikona from Kyokusoten).

Here's some other shikona that use them:

Oginosho, Kiyomasayama, Takamasaki (just retired last year), Seiryuyama, Seigozan, Seiryudo, and Shozuyama. There's also one more fella Shoki, but that looks like a family name.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

Tokiwayama-beya has two new recruits: Takashoki and Takatairiku. The Taka- prefix in their names is the same Taka- as Takamisugi (Tokiwayama oyakata) and Takanosho, not the Taka as in Takanohana and Takakeisho. They start sumo school tomorrow, Monday 5 April. No word yet on when they will do maezumo.

Eh? Those two were reported on the previous page. Maezumo was cancelled for this basho's shindeshi group, so they will all be in Jonokuchi on the Natsu banzuke.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Yubinhaad said:

Eh? Those two were reported on the previous page. Maezumo was cancelled for this basho's shindeshi group, so they will all be in Jonokuchi on the Natsu banzuke.

Thanks, my bad.

On 21/12/2020 at 16:56, Yubinhaad said:

Following in his older brother's footsteps is 15-year-old Ryohei Kiyota, who will join him in Dewanoumi-beya in March. The pandemic has of course decimated much of the amateur sumo calendar, so he has been focusing on training this year to improve his physical strength. He has gained around 10kg and overcame his difficulties with matawari, and in keiko he feels an improvement in the stability of his lower body. Like his brother, his speciality is uwatenage.

While Ryohei naturally wants to surpass his brother in rank, he also wants them both to be sekitori so that they can invigorate their local community in Koriyama, in the same way as the three Onami brothers of Arashio-beya have become well known in their home city of Fukushima.

Now Kiyonohana (right), not with his brother Kiyota, but with Yamato o

o0970062014925184575.jpg

• Like 3

Mogami 最上 Mogami Kenryu Shikihide 187 142 03 - July - 2005 Ibaraki

Someone for Shikihide-beya with sumo experience: Mogamizakura, Kenryuu Mogami 最上健隆 (15, 187cm, now 145kg) is actually from Hokkaido, now listed as Ryugasaki, Ibaraki shusshin, where the heya is located. He started sumo properly in 2016, when he won a tournament in Sapporo as 4th year. That year in August he took part in the sumo school the NSK held in Kitahiroshima-city (never thought that would be in Hokkaido), where Shikihide (from Hiroshima) was instructor and told him: "If there's something, come to me." - the rest of the story is behind the paywall http://mainichi.jp/articles/20210420/ddl/k08/070/154000c

in 2020 he won the Ibaraki prefecture tournament

8.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

On 03/04/2021 at 17:39, Akinomaki said:

a_14210337.jpg

Araiso looks to have slimmed down a lot here, I thought he was keeping to his fighting weight to assist Takaysu?

He certainly looks well and happy in his new role

With the Haru basho maezumo being cancelled, the shussehiro for this shindeshi class was delayed until the opening day of the Natsu basho. 31 of the 33 rikishi were present, the absentees being Chiyotaka and Amanoazuma who are kyujo. However, Hoshinofuji was there despite also being kyujo.

NRatFwRQ_o.jpg

Some confusion about Kyokutaikai's shikona - the announcer for the shussehiro and his bout today (as well as the gyoji) called him Kyokutaiga, but the yobidashi for today's bout called him Kyokutaikai which concurs with his Kyokai profile. I'll keep an ear on it.

Nice to see one of Kisenosato's Yokozuna kesho-mawashi sets in use again, for three of the Tagonoura deshi.

RiwU4Q3M_o.jpg

The delay has allowed Mizuno's hair grow long enough for him to have a chonmage already, not something I've seen very often in a shussehiro.

dD8t8xcC_o.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Nice to see one of Kisenosato's Yokozuna kesho-mawashi sets in use again, for three of the Tagonoura deshi.

RiwU4Q3M_o.jpg

I'd forgotten all about those Fist of the North Star kesho mawashi. I don't suppose those three got named Tagonorao, Tagonorei, and Tagonoken? :-P

On 21/04/2021 at 18:50, Mightyduck said:

Araiso looks to have slimmed down a lot here, I thought he was keeping to his fighting weight to assist Takaysu?

Maybe he considers Takayasu a lost cause. Judging by Takayasu's return to all-out brawling sumo this basho, it doesn't seem like Araiso's been doing much hands on training with him. There were times in the last few basho where you could see glimpses of Kisenosato-style ottsuke and deashi in Takayasu's sumo.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Thanks 1

On 12/05/2021 at 17:53, Yubinhaad said:

Some confusion about Kyokutaikai's shikona - the announcer for the shussehiro and his bout today (as well as the gyoji) called him Kyokutaiga, but the yobidashi for today's bout called him Kyokutaikai which concurs with his Kyokai profile. I'll keep an ear on it.

Indeed, Kyokutaikai turns out to be Kyokutaiga (きょくたいが) after all. (I don't know if that will affect the database's torikumi grabbing so heads-up to @Doitsuyama just in case)

The reading of Amanoazuma's shikona was also quietly corrected a few days ago, it was originally あまのあづま (a rare and in this case incorrect reading of azuma), now it is あまのあずま, the usual reading.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yubinhaad said:

it was originally あまのあづま (a rare and in this case incorrect reading of azuma), now it is あまのあずま, the usual reading.

I'm just splitting hairs at this point, but あづま/あずま aren't really different readings. The original form was あづま, and あずま is a result of a post-WWII spelling reform.

On 26/02/2021 at 08:49, Akinomaki said:

Tsubasa Tanimoto 谷元飛翔 (18, 171cm, 135kg) started sumo in 3rd grade primary school, when he entered a wampaku sumo tournament in his hometown Shinonsen. He wanted to stop doing sumo after middle school, but when he asked Hakuho for a sign at a local jungyo, he heard from him: "A good physique. Go on to gambarize in sumo" - and went on to a sumo stronghold high school.

Yamahibiki-oyakata is from Himeji (Hyogo) and several members of the heya are from Hyogo pref.

4-3 kachikoshi for Tanimoto in his debut basho - he got some money for it. Tanimoto's total dohyo time last basho was stopped as 68 seconds.

a_14363993.jpgo

his high school coach, 2 others from the club are also presently in ozumo

d_14363992.jpgo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1