Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

New recruits Haru 2021

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

The shindeshi kensa was today, all 35 who were there passed the initial test and wait for the results of the medicals.

EvHhvBkVcAAuvel.jpg:thumbo

the 2 sdTD who really will do sumo this basho are in the focus - Kanno and Nishikawa

EvHhsarVcAAvuXo.jpg:thumbo EvHhtwAUUAAdR8l.jpg:thumbo

One who had applied didn't appear for the shin deshi kensa o

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

On 23/01/2021 at 10:50, Akinomaki said:

For Tokiwayama-beya, 15y old Ikuto Fujiwara 藤原生翔 (185cm, 120kg) from the Toyota junior sumo club in Toyota city: "I want to become sekitori in 5 years."

Fujiwara is the first to join ozumo from the club, which has been in existence for six years now. He started sumo in 4th grade and participated in prefectural competitions in junior high school, which is where he first came to the attention of the (then) Chiganoura-beya scouts. Getting a right hand inside grip is his specialty.

A picture posted by the heya showed two new nameplates on the keikoba ranking board - Fujiwara is presumably 隆翔生, the first kanji from the shisho and the other two from his given name, reversed. Takashosei, perhaps? The other one looks like 隆太陸, maybe Takatairiku?

EuuWIEuU4AMwydb?format=jpg&name=large

On 19/02/2021 at 10:35, Akinomaki said:

Two 18y 3rd years from the sumo club of Tsushima high, Ehime for Yamahibiki-beya: Tsubasa Tanimoto 谷元飛翔 and Takuma Akisada 秋定拓真. Both are from Hyogo pref. On the 12th they had a farewell party at the school and on the 13th headed for Tokyo, for preparations to join and the shindeshi kensa.

They were joined by a third recruit for the heya, 茂司 知義, reading seems to be Haruchika Moji. I think he's from the sumo club of Minoshima high school in Wakayama prefecture, but he too is a Hyogo native. In both of these pictures he's the one in the middle.

K8fQDuEB_o.jpg

Nkow82U8_o.jpg

On 10/02/2021 at 15:53, Akinomaki said:

From Asanoyama's old Kureha middle school, Ryuki Tanimura  谷村竜喜 (15, 184cm, 147kg) will join Kokonoe-beya. He wants to surpass sempai Asanoyama, with whom he had the chance to train once. "I want to gambarize to make it in one go to makushita and juryo. There is no rikishi I aim for. Since my goal is yokozuna, I want to gambarize."

Tanimura's shikona will be 千代獅子, Chiyoshishi?

Second recruit for Kokonoe is 廣岡 大志, no reading given but amusingly they are the same kanji as a pro baseball player called Taishi Hirooka. I think it's safe to assume it's not actually him joining. (Laughing...) The shindeshi will take the shikona 千代鷹. Chiyotaka?

S__44548117_0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

...EuuWIEuU4AMwydb?format=jpg&name=large

Takagenji was busy so they have used his cardboard cutout.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:
On 23/01/2021 at 11:50, Akinomaki said:

For Tokiwayama-beya, 15y old Ikuto Fujiwara 藤原生翔 (185cm, 120kg) from the Toyota junior sumo club in Toyota city: "I want to become sekitori in 5 years."

Fujiwara is the first to join ozumo from the club, which has been in existence for six years now. He started sumo in 4th grade and participated in prefectural competitions in junior high school, which is where he first came to the attention of the (then) Chiganoura-beya scouts. Getting a right hand inside grip is his specialty.

A picture posted by the heya showed two new nameplates on the keikoba ranking board - Fujiwara is presumably 隆翔生, the first kanji from the shisho and the other two from his given name, reversed. Takashosei, perhaps? The other one looks like 隆太陸, maybe Takatairiku?

On the heya twitter today: Riku Ito 伊藤 太陸 (15, 165cm - the limit for new middle school graduates, 96kg) from Mizunami, Gifu - 隆太陸 真道 Takatairiku Masamichi

EvNkHHmUUAEbHZS.jpg:large

EvNkHHmUUAEbHZS.jpg:thumb EvNj15_VIAEZk1H.jpg:thumbo

隆翔生 薫一  Takashouki Yoshikatsu for Ikuto Fujiwara (15, 188cm, 127kg)

EvNj15_VIAEZk1H.jpg:large

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

I call this picture the "Smile Gradient":

From the full one smile on the far left to the famous Takanosho grin, to Tokiwayama oyakata's half smile, to Takakeisho's trademark stoic facial expression all the way to Takagenji's defiant look.

I absolutely love this picture, it is pure gold :-D

Edited by Hakuryuho
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Joining Takasago-beya are the brothers Yoshida from Shima, Mie prefecture. Older brother Raiki (吉田 雷希), 22, joins from Tokai University's Shoyo High School in Shizuoka and is 167cm, 79kg. Younger brother Kiryu (吉田 桐龍), 18, joins from Gifu Agricultural & Forestry High School and is 169cm, 81kg.

While in elementary school they both attended the same sumo club as stablemates Asagyokusei and Murata, the latter also being from Shima.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

Takagenji was busy so they have used his cardboard cutout.

Takakento (i'm assuming that's who it is) even moreso.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2021 at 22:13, Yubinhaad said:

Takakento, Takanosho, Tokiwayama-oyakata, Takakeisho, and Takagenji demonstrate the descending phases joy from l-to-r: "Ecstatic", "Very very happy", "Cheerful", "A bit bored", "Why am I in this picture?"

• Haha 4

It seems like something of a faux pas to me to wear zori with a Western-style suit.  Is it particularly common?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

It seems like something of a faux pas to me to wear zori with a Western-style suit.  Is it particularly common?

He's the Japanese version of that family friend who wore a string tie and cowboy boots with his dark suit.

Sometimes the only available guest slippers are zori style. It’s especially annoying when you have normal socks. Usually you’d just do socks only but he probably just grabbed them to be on the dohyo for the picture.

• Like 1

Joining Isegahama-beya is 15-year-old Ryuki? Hoshi (星 龍希), third-year student at Chiba Meitoku junior high school. He's been doing sumo since elementary school, but at Chiba Meitoku he had to make do with keeping goal for the football team, as the school has no sumo club. At 180cm and 168kg, I imagine he doesn't run up for a lot of stoppage-time corners, but it has helped his agility. He will be the first student from Chiba Meitoku to join ozumo.

Isegahama-oyakata (former Yokozuna Asahifuji) visited to meet him in November. Sneakers with a suit?! I need a lie-down.

yGPcR2yy_o.jpg

Joining Kataonami-beya is 15-year-old Yoshiaki? Taguchi (田口 義明), no other info about him yet.

s5wbAq66_o.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Sneakers with a suit?! I need a lie-down.

Brain: don't say it, don't say it, don't say it, don't say it ...

Mouth: Shouldn't he be at Tokiwayamabeya?

Kataonami seems to be turning a corner. They've gone from 2 rikishi to 5 in pretty short order. Look out, Sadogatake.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Joining Isegahama-beya is 15-year-old Ryuki? Hoshi (星 龍希), third-year student at Chiba Meitoku junior high school. He's been doing sumo since elementary school, but at Chiba Meitoku he had to make do with keeping goal for the football team, as the school has no sumo club. At 180cm and 168kg, I imagine he doesn't run up for a lot of stoppage-time corners, but it has helped his agility. He will be the first student from Chiba Meitoku to join ozumo.

Isegahama-oyakata (former Yokozuna Asahifuji) visited to meet him in November. Sneakers with a suit?! I need a lie-down.

yGPcR2yy_o.jpg

Having gone through Japanese middle school and high school myself, I can say that this is not unusual. At least where I went, all the kids wore regular shoes/sneakers to school. The ones who wore the loafers were the more clique types. When you get to high school it's more common for students to wear the loafers. Also, remember that he's in his school uniform too.

On 01/03/2021 at 23:32, yohcun said:

Kataonami seems to be turning a corner. They've gone from 2 rikishi to 5 in pretty short order. Look out, Sadogatake.

Unfortunately not - the announcement of Taguchi's entry also included the news that Tamanohoshi had retired as of February 22nd, so the heya remains at 4 rikishi.

On 02/03/2021 at 08:55, WAKATAKE said:

Having gone through Japanese middle school and high school myself, I can say that this is not unusual. At least where I went, all the kids wore regular shoes/sneakers to school. The ones who wore the loafers were the more clique types. When you get to high school it's more common for students to wear the loafers. Also, remember that he's in his school uniform too.

I wasn't being serious there, just poking a little fun at Gurowake's occasional critiques of footwear choices. :-)

Posted (edited)

Shibatayama talked to the press today about the cancellation of maezumo: "It's during the graduation season, when they go home for the graduation ceremony and come back and if by chance are infected, they bring the virus back to the heya. They'd have to stay in a hotel and get tested and then get back into the heya. Those who return for the graduation ceremony have been told not to come back till after the basho."

About the jonokuchi banzuke: "There are also some with chonmage banzukegai. These included, the shimpan department has to coordinate the banzuke, the shinjo shusse hirou (new recruits presentation) will take place at the May basho." http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202103050000838.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

No need for Osanai to be at the basho, so he was at the town hall of his hometown Tsuruta today, to report that he joins ozumo: "First of all jonokuchi yusho. I want to rise to sekitori within 2 years."

img_86a970e12ae49ea6be8856016e9c09e3360423.jpgo 6080011770_20210312185047_s.jpgvid

- training in the heya starts next month

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

NSK data:
SHIKONA KANJI NAME HEYA HEIGHT WEIGHT DOB BIRTHPLACE
Abe 阿部 Abe Yusei Oguruma 181 128 07 - January - 2003 Kanagawa
Akisada 秋定 Akisada Takuma Yamahibiki 170 119 08 - July - 2002 Hyogo
Fujiwara 藤原 Fujiwara Ikuto Tokiwayama 186 127 09 - December - 2005 Aichi
Higashi Higashi Tatsuki Fujishima 178 118 05 - December - 1997 Saitama
Hirooka 廣岡 Hirooka Hiroshi Kokonoe 174 115 05 - October - 2005 Iwate
Hoshi Hoshi Ryuki Isegahama 179 172 24 - July - 2005 Chiba
Ito 伊藤 Ito Riku Tokiwayama 165 94 01 - July - 2005 Gifu
Kanno 菅野 Kanno Yota Kasugano 182 156 11 - January - 1999 Saitama
Kato 加藤 Kato Reito Tagonoura 172 95 05 - October - 2005 Kyoto
Kimura 木村 Kimura Taketo Sakaigawa 180 100 07 - August - 2002 Saitama
Kinoshita 木下 Kinoshita Masanori Miyagino 167 96 23 - March - 2003 Gunma
Kitamura 北村 Kitamura Yuma Hakkaku 183 165 21 - August - 2002 Hokkaido
Kiyota 清田 Kiyota Ryohei Dewanoumi 171 74 23 - July - 2005 Fukushima
Matsui 松井 Matsui Hiroki Tokitsukaze 175 164 07 - November - 2002 Ishikawa
Matsuzawa 松澤 Matsuzawa Shusei Tagonoura 166 69 14 - June - 2005 Saitama
Mizuno 水野 Mizuno Yuya Sakaigawa 175 127 02 - December - 2005 Gifu
Mogami 最上 Mogami Kenryu Shikihide 187 142 03 - July - 2005 Ibaraki
Moji 茂司 Moji Haruchika Yamahibiki 175 107 03 - November - 2002 Wakayama
Muniroglu ムニルオグル Muniroglu Musashi Tamanoi 180 89 24 - September- 2002 Yamanashi
Nakajima 中島 Nakajima Ran Arashio 167 75 18 - November - 2002 Kagoshima
Nishihara 西原 Nishihara Takato Tagonoura 178 122 24 - October - 2002 Hyogo
Nishikawa 西川 Nishikawa Toki Sakaigawa 176 155 07 - April - 1998 Osaka
Osanai 長内 Osanai Koju Takasago 174 122 01 - March - 1999 Aomori
Sano 佐野 Sano Koga Asahiyama 176 117 25 - December - 2005 Chiba
Suguro 勝呂 Suguro Ryuki Fujishima 168 118 23 - November - 1998 Saitama
Taguchi 田口 Taguchi Yoshiaki Kataonami 173 106 22 - December - 2005 Osaka
Takahashi 高橋 Takahashi Hidetada Isegahama 170 94 20 - July - 2001 Aomori
Takamatsu 高松 Takamatsu Kota Tomozuna 166 136 28 - February - 2006 Hokkaido
Taniguchi 谷口 Taniguchi Yusa Tagonoura 167 127 03 - August - 2005 Hyogo
Tanimoto 谷元 Tanimoto Tsubasa Yamahibiki 171 133 22 - October - 2002 Hyogo
Tanimura 谷村 Tanimura Ryuki Kokonoe 182 143 19 - May - 2005 Toyama
Tatsuguchi 竜口 Tatsuguchi Takahiro Sakaigawa 175 117 18 - March - 2003 Fukuoka
Yoshida (the Elder) 吉田 Yoshida Raiki Takasago 167 80 19 - November - 1998 Gifu
Yoshida (the Younger) 吉田 Yoshida Kiryu Takasago 168 78 22 - June - 2002 Gifu
Yoshino 吉野 Yoshino Suguru Futagoyama 180 122 04 - December - 2002 Kanagawa

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Only Matsui is in the list from Tokitsukaze, so the eldest son really joins for Natsu (or not), and the one who didn't appear at the shindeshi kensa likely was one planned for Tokitsukaze.

On 23/02/2021 at 12:32, Akinomaki said:

An interview with Tokitsukaze from end of January was posted on YT, there he expressed his deep regret - towards his deshi

Tokitsukaze thinks his 2 sons some day will join Tokisukaze-beya, he told that at that point 3 new recruits were to join for March, among them his first son.

Muniroglu ムニルオグル Muniroglu Musashi Tamanoi 180 89 24 - September- 2002 Yamanashi

Hopefully a new Hafu Turkish prospect to add to the foreigners list ! 

Posted (edited)
On 21/01/2021 at 14:52, Akinomaki said:

He likely won't be in the shindeshi-kensa for the Haru-basho basho yet, but student yokozuna Delgerbayar has started the for foreigners now obligatory kenshu training/test period on Dec. 21st, at Naruto-beya, for 6 months or more. If there are no problems, he'll join the heya properly and enter the shindeshi-kensa then.

Delgerbayar had his graduation ceremony at Nittaidai on the 15th (on the right)

origin_1.jpgo

After treatment his injured ankle is going towards towards recovery and it is planned that he resumes keiko at the heya in April and be in the shindeshi-kensa for May or July: "As a pro I want to aim for sekitori" http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202103150000684.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The shinjo shusse hirou presentation of the Haru basho new recruits will be on day 1 of the Natsu basho, all 33 who will be in jonokuchi that basho as ichiban shusse, like presumed here, in the order they had applied for the shindeshi kensa. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20210322/sum21032216490006-n1.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 4 sai-shusse from banzuke-gai: Kototaiki, Tochigidake, Onofuji, Tsuyusato

The order of the shinjo shusse rikishi, with new shikona in kanji

Hoshi Isegahama Chiba 星ノ富士
Takamatsu Tomozuna Hokkaido 旭大海
Matsui Tokitsukaze Ishikawa  
Mogami Shikihide Ibaraki 最上桜
Taguchi Kataonami Osaka  
Yoshino Futagoyama Kanagawa  
Takahashi Isegahama Aomori 美ノ富士
Tanimura Kokonoe Toyama 千代獅子