Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

New recruits Haru 2021

On 04/02/2021 at 17:02, Yubinhaad said:

Joining Sakaigawa-beya is 15-year-old Yuya Mizuno (水野 裕哉), soon to graduate from Mizunamikita Junior High School in Mizunami, Gifu prefecture. He has sumo experience throughout his school years, and participated in the wanpaku national championships in all three years of elementary school. An encounter with former Komusubi Mainoumi led to him being introduced to Sakaigawa-oyakata (former Komusubi Ryogoku), and he went on to visit the heya's lodgings when they were at the Nagoya basho.

Since he was small, his body was big 小さいころから体が大きく

Mizuno became a sumo fan influenced by his grandfather and started sumo in his 4th year, when he joined a sumo club in Kasugai city, Aichi pref. Last year at the Hakuho cup he made it with the team to the best 32. At the last Gifu pref. sumo championships he was combined runner-up. At present he is in the judo club at his school and trains once a week in a sumo club in Ichinomiya, which he joined in his 6th year. In his 5th year he made it his goal to become a pro. He told the mayor of Mizunami: "I want to become a rikishi like the former yokozuna Kisenosato." http://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/197625  http://www.gifu-np.co.jp/news/20210205/20210205-42735.html

• Like 2

On 28/01/2021 at 08:00, Kintamayama said:

Nishikawa (Sakaigawa} and Kanno (Kasugano, 菅野陽太) will start off from Sandanme 100 tsukedashi in March, it was announced today. 

Kanno is from Iruma city, a kohai of Daieiesho from the Iruma youth sumo club (where also Hokutofuji had been a member). On the 8th he was at the Iruma city hall to report that he joins Kasugano-beya, as the 3rd from the Iruma club to join that heya, and "I'll gambarize to be the first to reach sekitori". He will join the heya sometime next week and keep his real name as shikona.

After middle school in Iruma, he trained sumo at the Wakayama pref. Minoshima high school.

20210208-00010002-teletamav-000-1-thumb.

Saitama TV news clip: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20210208-00010002-teletamav-l11

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From Asanoyama's old Kureha middle school, Ryuki Tanimura  谷村竜喜 (15, 184cm, 147kg) will join Kokonoe-beya. He wants to surpass sempai Asanoyama, with whom he had the chance to train once. "I want to gambarize to make it in one go to makushita and juryo. There is no rikishi I aim for. Since my goal is yokozuna, I want to gambarize."

1st & 2nd year middle school he won with the team at the Toyama prefecture level chugaku sotai tournament and took part at the national middle schools tournament in 2019, team and individual.

Last July he was approached by Kokonoe-beya, where a sempai is a member. When he was at Asanoyama's juryo promotion party 4 years ago, he had wished to join Takasago-beya though. https://news.bbt.co.jp/topics_detail.phtml?Record_ID=f6ecc79fe5bac69c85209b3247ff1d34

He will join the heya on the 20th and be in the shindeshi kensa in the kokugikan on the 26th.

Local TV news clip https://www.knb.ne.jp/nnn/news101ttonzevyt08l2pi8.html

HQ: youtube-dl https://gw-yvpub.yahoo.co.jp/v1/hls/1c465d3831a50040c289e82ff5e96bfc/video.m3u820210211-OYTNI50004-T.jpg?type=mediumo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

On 10/02/2021 at 16:53, Akinomaki said:

From Asanoyama's old Kureha middle school, Ryuki Tanimura  谷村竜喜 (15, 184cm, 147kg) will join Kokonoe-beya.

1st & 2nd year middle school he won with the team at the Toyama prefecture level chugaku sotai tournament and took part at the national middle schools tournament in 2019, team and individual.

Last July he was approached by Kokonoe-beya, where a sempai is a member.

Tanimura started sumo in his 3rd year at Kureha primary school, he was invited to join the sumo club by a 4th year girl member because he had a big body. In 2019 he was individual 5th in the heavy weight division at the Hokushinetsu 北信越 (5 prefectures) championships.

Last year Kureha OB Chiyoresshi joined Kokonoe-beya and Tanimura was noticed by Kokonoe-oyakata. Last July he received a passionate invitation from the oyakata: "Your arms and legs are long. I want to teach you my tsuki-sumo" and he decided to join the heya, and since then he let his hair grow to get a mage quickly.

img_f5f43d01caa469d66e6e67b2e0f86f0c181412.jpgo 2c29a1f4175ec1a3feec57351b840db9_1.jpgo

with the heya manager?

8ad18c9c-bb54-40c0-8eb5-c5d1e4163c34.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2021 at 05:08, Ryoshishokunin said:

I wonder if they'll just change his mizu kanji and call it good for a shikona.

Why would they need to change the kanji?

1 hour ago, sahaven111 said:

Why would they need to change the kanji?

To reflect his Mizunami ( 瑞浪 ) hometown, I think is the guess here.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2021 at 10:08, Ryoshishokunin said:

I wonder if they'll just change his mizu kanji and call it good for a shikona.

I'm betting on Mizunoyama.

Osanai Koju out of Kindai, Aomori native, brother of classmate of Asanoyama, has joined Takasago beya, the new oyakata's first deshi. He is not a pusher (I know, I did that already..). He likes dashinage. I think he came in second in Osaka at the World Sumo Tournament in his weight class in 2019. He weighs 120 kilos, and is 1.76 meter tall, 21 years old. "I would like to become a sekitori as fast as I can. I want to do that within two years. I won't be doing big man sumo against big opponents. I will utilize my speed and technique in order to win," he said. 

On the right and henceforth known as "The Phantom of the Opera". On the left, manager of the Kindai sumo club Abe Rinkon.

202102190000469-w1300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Osanai is a sharp yotsu competitor who likes to have one hand on the belt and the other underneath his opponent's armpit, and he also regularly uses the maemitsu grip (grabbing the front of the mawashi)

He was komusubi on the 2019 university banzuke (i.e. 7th among collegiate rikishi in 2019), and once beat the also turning pro Kanno in a match that was so long it needed to be paused for the competitors to get a rest. He was also involved in this tachiai mishap vs Mongolian newcomer Arauma:

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

He was also involved in this tachiai mishap vs Mongolian newcomer Arauma:

So what happened? If there was a matta why didn't they go again? Was there a dq for the loss of temper?

They did go again, but after a talking to from a shinpan and a mawashi tightening--at least that's what I think it was! Not a bad match either...

Spoiler

Despite Arauma winning that one, Osanai was more accomplished in the amateurs and I think also has a fair bit more pro potential. 

Edited by Katooshu
  • Thanks 1

Two 18y 3rd years from the sumo club of Tsushima high, Ehime for Yamahibiki-beya: Tsubasa Tanimoto 谷元飛翔 and Takuma Akisada 秋定拓真. Both are from Hyogo pref. On the 12th they had a farewell party at the school and on the 13th headed for Tokyo, for preparations to join and the shindeshi kensa. http://www.ehime-np.co.jp/article/news202102190012

img8a8602e339e3bb0f.jpeg

Tanimoto won the prefecture tournament in September, Akisada was 5th https://ehm-tsushima-h.esnet.ed.jp/blogs/blog_entries/view/8/5e6cf1cba35f46084b331f9859a1932a

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Katooshu said:

They did go again, but after a talking to from a shinpan and a mawashi tightening--at least that's what I think it was! Not a bad match either..

Thanks for that. I thought that when they both walked off the dohyo that was the end of it. I suppose they were both told to take some deep breaths and calm down. The rematch was indeed a good one.

• Like 1

From Mukainooka technical high school for Futagoyama-beya, Suguru Yoshino 吉野克 (18, 183cm, 123kg). He is the 4th from the school at the heya, same year Kyoda joined for Aki last year: "He said that keiko is hard but fun. So that I can surpass the results of my same year, I don't want to lose." The oyakata watched Yoshino since 1st year high school: "Long arms and legs and tall, that was the first impression. I want him to train his lower body, properly build a foundation and aim for higher."

In middle school he joined the judo and sumo club, but didn't want take off his clothes and at first refused the sumo part. The change came in his 2nd year in autumn, a team regular 3rd year was ill and he as 2nd year appeared in the tournament final. In high school, he was regular since February in his 1st year. He also suffered back injuries, but at the prefecture autumn tournament in his 2nd year, he won the open category.

Last December he decided to join Futagoyama-beya. He also thought about succeeding his father's construction business, but when he actually watched keiko he was determined to join: "Getting strong like the oyakata, first of all ozeki. And then yokozuna." http://www.townnews.co.jp/0201/2021/02/19/562733.html

the oyakata was at the school on the 9th

a001029595_04.jpg

• Like 3

On 19/02/2021 at 08:56, Kintamayama said:

Osanai Koju out of Kindai, Aomori native, brother of classmate of Asanoyama, has joined Takasago beya, the new oyakata's first deshi. He is not a pusher (I know, I did that already..). He likes dashinage. I think he came in second in Osaka at the World Sumo Tournament in his weight class in 2019. He weighs 120 kilos, and is 1.76 meter tall, 21 years old. "I would like to become a sekitori as fast as I can. I want to do that within two years. I won't be doing big man sumo against big opponents. I will utilize my speed and technique in order to win," he said. 

Osanai is the 3rd of 4 brothers all involved in (amateur) sumo. He has a yusho at the below 115kg category in the 2018 student national weight class championships and in the open weight class at the 2020 West Japan student weight class championships.

About the reason to go into ozumo: "In 4th year due to Corona contests have dwindled. Before the student championships I had some feeling of incompleteness and talked it over with the coach. I thought I would hate to end it like this and a bad aftertaste remains, so after the championships I decided to have a try to thoroughly do sumo in ozumo." About choosing Takasago-beya: "There are many rikishi with university background and also from Kindai. When you join from university, I thought in Takasago-beya also a small guy like me can become strong and decided for it."  http://higashiosaka.keizai.biz/headline/1394/

img_e07dadc46ff8b91553d8436484fd018b226527.jpgo 20210219-OHT1I50192-N.jpgo

Silver medal in the light heavyweight category at the 23rd world championships  世界大会・世界ジュニア大会 記録.pdf

b_14091880.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Huh. The last line of Sanspo's article about Osanai says that maezumo at the Haru basho was cancelled, and he will be in Jonokuchi in May (along with all the other debutants, presumably in sign-up order?). Anyone seen anything official about that from the Kyokai?

On 20/02/2021 at 15:33, Yubinhaad said:

Huh. The last line of Sanspo's article about Osanai says that maezumo at the Haru basho was cancelled, and he will be in Jonokuchi in May (along with all the other debutants, presumably in sign-up order?). Anyone seen anything official about that from the Kyokai?

That was the only mention I saw, I thought it just as a possibility, but not official - all articles today talk of dohyo debut at the May basho though, yesterday it was just jonokuchi debut. The shindeshi kensa planned for the 26th is not on the NSK schedule http://www.sumo.or.jp/Calendar/

Edit: the latest article on Osanai says clearly that there will be no maezumo and a direct start in jonokuchi, but not how or why http://www.nnn.co.jp/dainichi/news/210223/20210223030.html

Edited by Akinomaki

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

That was the only mention I saw, I thought it just as a possibility, but not official - all articles today talk of dohyo debut at the May basho though, yesterday it was just jonokuchi debut. The shindeshi kensa planned for the 26th is not on the NSK schedule http://www.sumo.or.jp/Calendar/

So, veteran posters, what's your opinion: is it a plus or a minus?  IMHO a minus would be not getting to practice the actual basho experience, and forgoing a chance to practice against rikishi from other stables, which they are not doing now.  For deshi with University experience that's not important.  They're going to wait two months for real action anyway, so that's a wash.  Is anybody likely to use this as motivation ("the shindeshi with no Mae-zumo")?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfTfI48_qA&t=22m15s

20 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

An interview with Tokitsukaze from end of January was posted on YT, there he expressed his deep regret - towards his deshi

Tokitsukaze thinks his 2 sons some day will join Tokisukaze-beya, he told that at that point 3 new recruits were to join for March, among them his first son.

in this thread so far we also have Matsui, the 3rd is unknown yet

Edit: Without maezumo, maybe more of those said to start in May, already enter for Haru

On 02/02/2021 at 23:40, Kintamayama said:

Tokitsukaze's eldest son Sakamoto Hirokazu will be entering sumo in May. He is the captain of the Sanbongi Agricultural High school sumo club. He will be graduating in March and will join Tokitsukaze beya. No plans to change the plans after all this. He won the Hakuhou Cup when he was in the fourth grade. He was part of the team that won the national Junior high championships as well. 1.75./130 kilos. Didn't get his age, but third year of high school so probably 18-ish? Seems like the real deal to me.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

36 35 new entrants this time, 10 less than last year.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

36 new entrants this time, 9 less than last year.

Frankly I'm surprised it's that high given Circumstances.  I wonder if the university sumo scene will see higher or flat numbers this year for new freshmen.

Hey is there any place on the internet or spreadsheet or list that has all of these newcomers listed in one spot? If not I might try to make one

Closer to the basho, after the shin-deshi kensa, there is usually a table of all the newcomers posted here. 

• Like 1

The shindeshi kensa was today, all 35 who were there passed the initial test and wait for the results of the medicals. The list of those who passed is announced on day 1 of the basho.  https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2021022600833

No mention of the canceled maezumo

• Like 3

On 19/02/2021 at 11:35, Akinomaki said:

Two 18y 3rd years from the sumo club of Tsushima high, Ehime for Yamahibiki-beya: Tsubasa Tanimoto 谷元飛翔 and Takuma Akisada 秋定拓真. Both are from Hyogo pref. On the 12th they had a farewell party at the school and on the 13th headed for Tokyo, for preparations to join and the shindeshi kensa.

Tsubasa Tanimoto 谷元飛翔 (18, 171cm, 135kg) started sumo in 3rd grade primary school, when he entered a wampaku sumo tournament in his hometown Shinonsen. He wanted to stop doing sumo after middle school, but when he asked Hakuho for a sign at a local jungyo, he heard from him: "A good physique. Go on to gambarize in sumo" - and went on to a sumo stronghold high school.

Yamahibiki-oyakata is from Himeji (Hyogo) and several members of the heya are from Hyogo pref.

https://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/tajima/202102/0014107187.shtml

b_14107188.jpg

d_14107189.jpgo

The article only mentions that maezumo was planned, but canceled due to Corona

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2