Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

New recruits Haru 2021

The Haru basho is planned to take place in Osaka, and so is the shindeshi-kensa.

The riji-cho for his heya has secured 2 new recruits from Hokkaido, one is Yuma Kitamura 北村悠真 (18, 185cm, 160kg) from the judo club of Tokai-dai affiliate Sapporo high, as the first in sumo from his high school. Hakkaku today held a press conference at the school (lesser people get demoted for tours to another prefecture). Kitamura started judo in 1st year middle school, in first year high school his fabulous physique caught the eye of Hakkaku-beya general manager Hasegawa and he was scouted. He has no sumo experience, but wants to make good use of his stature and make a "challenge to a new stage", in August he decided to join.

Before the press conference Hakkaku watched him at judo keiko: "The feeling of a massive physique like Kitanoumi. First of all have him get used to the life. Now that he'll be doing it, I want him to aim for the top."

Kitamura: "Making use of what I learned in judo, I want to become a splendid rikishi like the oyakata."

http://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/article/466704

6e3f875892356f23dd0970c733ec3bce.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

Kitamura-san is a big, big lad for his age.  Do judo weight classes go up to 160kg? 

He is fighting in the unlimited weight class at that point

On 02/10/2020 at 17:22, Akinomaki said:

The riji-cho for his heya has secured 2 new recruits from Hokkaido, one is Yuma Kitamura 北村悠真 (18, 185cm, 160kg) from the judo club of Tokai-dai affiliate Sapporo high, as the first in sumo from his high school. Hakkaku today held a press conference at the school

He has no sumo experience, but wants to make good use of his stature and make a "challenge to a new stage", in August he decided to join. 

Before the press conference Hakkaku watched him at judo keiko

Kitamura in detail about the reason to join: "Because, due to Corona, judo tournaments stopped, I couldn't do judo, and I received an invitation from sumo and thought I want to advance to a new step."

Local NHK posted a video (watchable a week at most).

7000025318_20201003095914_s.jpgvid

AS20201006000687_commL.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

"Because, due to Corona, judo tournaments stopped, I couldn't do judo, and I received an invitation from sumo and thought I want to advance to a new step."

He will be gone within one year.

• Haha 1

Another from judo background - Hiroki Matsui (18, 180cm, 155kg), 3rd year at Ishikawa pref. Tsurugi high school wants to become the Gojira (Godzilla) of the sumo world, he's a distant relative of baseball's Godzilla Hideki Matsui (his great-grandfather and Hideki's grandfather were brothers). Appropriately in Tokitsukaze-beya, where gorira (gorilla) Tosayutaka (Magaki) can coach him.

LS20201202601_3box.jpgo

He started judo at age 4, but always had a yearning for sumo. He wanted to join a sumo stronghold high school, Kanazawa gakuin, but his parents told him that sumo was not an easy path: "You have be no. 1 in judo in the prefecture to be competitive there." Last year he finally won a prefecture tournament and a HokuShinetsu region tournament in the above 100kg class and was at the interhigh, and his parents then supported his wish to go into ozumo. Since June he learned fundamentals of sumo at the Kanazawa sumo dojo where also Endo, Enho and Kagayaki were enrolled.

An important turning point for him was the Kanazawa high school sumo tournament. Tsurugi high has no sumo club, so judo club members represent the school, and since entering school he wanted to be in it. 2 times he was in the team event - this year the 104th edition was canceled. In his 2nd year he got his first win and felt "Yes, sumo is fun", his resolve to become pro became firm then.

In October he made a visit to the heya and had chanko with his sempai rikishi. Shodai told him: "In any case, eat!"

The usual goal: "Doing it, I want to aim for ozeki and yokozuna."

• Like 6

On 02/12/2020 at 17:27, Akinomaki said:

Another from judo background - Hiroki Matsui (18, 180cm, 155kg), 3rd year at Ishikawa pref. Tsurugi high school wants to become the Gojira (Godzilla) of the sumo world, he's a distant relative of baseball's Godzilla Hideki Matsui (his great-grandfather and Hideki's grandfather were brothers). Appropriately in Tokitsukaze-beya, where gorira (gorilla) Tosayutaka (Magaki) can coach him.

And fittingly, today Magaki came for an encouragement visit to the school: "Making good use of that grand physique forged in judo, I'd like him to become a presence exceeding Hideki Matsui." https://www.hokkoku.co.jp/subpage/E20201203005.htm

on the right the parents

E20201203005_1main.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Joining Tomozuna-beya in March will be Kota Takamatsu (高松 航太), who will by then have graduated from Erimo Junior High School in Erimo, Hokkaido. The shisho (former Sekiwake Kyokutenho) and Hokkaido-native Kyokutaisei visited on the third. Takamatsu is 167cm and 140kg at present.

Takamatsu has a judo background since elementary school, and this provided the link to the heya - director Kamada of his judo club and Kyokutaisei are alumni of Asahikawa University High School.

202012071001270_l.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/02/2019 at 02:16, Yubinhaad said:

A pair of 15-year-old recruits for Dewanoumi-beya, Junpei Kiyota (清田 純平) and Masanari? Oyama (大山 雅也), third-year students at Koriyama Daiichi middle school in Koriyama, Fukushima prefecture.

Kiyota, the son of former Makushita Kiyonoumi, competed at the national middle school championships last year but lost in the group stages, while Oyama finished fourth at the prefectural middle school championships.

Following in his older brother's footsteps is 15-year-old Ryohei Kiyota, who will join him in Dewanoumi-beya in March. The pandemic has of course decimated much of the amateur sumo calendar, so he has been focusing on training this year to improve his physical strength. He has gained around 10kg and overcame his difficulties with matawari, and in keiko he feels an improvement in the stability of his lower body. Like his brother, his speciality is uwatenage.

While Ryohei naturally wants to surpass his brother in rank, he also wants them both to be sekitori so that they can invigorate their local community in Koriyama, in the same way as the three Onami brothers of Arashio-beya have become well known in their home city of Fukushima.

201221news3.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

He likely won't be in the shindeshi-kensa for the Haru-basho basho yet, but student yokozuna Delgerbayar has started the for foreigners now obligatory kenshu training/test period on Dec. 21st, at Naruto-beya, for 6 months or more. If there are no problems, he'll join the heya properly and enter the shindeshi-kensa then. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202012220000640.html

discussion in the amateur forum

Edited by Akinomaki
catching up on 1 month of news
  • Like 2

For Tokiwayama-beya, 15y old Ikuto Fujiwara 藤原生翔 (185cm, 120kg) from the Toyota junior sumo club in Toyota city: "I want to become sekitori in 5 years."

bdc568345452f40e91b8eba89a88d8af_1.jpgo bdc568345452f40e91b8eba89a88d8af_2.jpgo

• Like 3

On 21/01/2021 at 08:52, Akinomaki said:

He likely won't be in the shindeshi-kensa for the Haru-basho basho yet, but student yokozuna Delgerbayar has started the for foreigners now obligatory kenshu training/test period on Dec. 21st, at Naruto-beya, for 6 months or more. If there are no problems, he'll join the heya properly and enter the shindeshi-kensa then. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202012220000640.html

discussion in the amateur forum

Is this him in the upper right?

https://twitter.com/narutobeya/status/1353337990450274304/photo/1

It is indeed. There is a lot about him in the amasumo section here--he has been one of the top collegiate competitors for the last few years, winning 5 titles and repeatedly making quarterfinals/semifinals. He was also a national champion in Olympic wrestling in high school (which was in Japan).

His style is to bend low and look for pulldowns and to unbalance his opponents rather than to find a good grip. He does a lot of those head to head, grab each other's hands stand offs. I find his sumo rather ugly and unconventional (and not in an entertaining Ura way), but it works well for him. One thing that is noticeable, is that for a rikishi, his stance is often much more turned to the side than is usual, almost like a boxer's at times, which can result in opponents getting behind him.

This match below is fairly representative, minus the weird bit at the start.

He has amateur wins over Kizakiumi, Oshoryu, Terasawa, Fukai, and Tokisakae, although only 1 of those has reached sekitorihood. I think the college scene over the last few years hasn't been particularly strong, and one can make the case that Delgerbayar achieved what he did in an uninspiring field. 

By the way, does anyone have an update on Nihon University's Yersin? He has a sandamne qualification but I haven't heard any developments in terms of him finding a heya. Kise has a foreigner spot and loves collegiate rikishi...

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nishikawa (Sakaigawa} and Kanno (Kasugano, 菅野陽太) will start off from Sandanme 100 tsukedashi in March, it was announced today. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both from Chuo University. Nishikawa won a national tournament in 2019 and was the runner-up in the 2020 student championships, losing to Delgerbayar. Kanno was the 2018 student yokozuna, although I think that flatters him a bit.

Nishikawa is an all out, knock your head off thruster. Kanno reminds me a bit of Kotonowaka and likes to pivot and grab the mawashi while moving to the side of his opponent.

Nishikawa on the far left, Kanno in the middle (the guy on the far right might actually be the best of the 3 but he's not turning pro). Kanno might require some censoring from Kinta if he makes it to makuuchi.

20190722121619.jpg

Nishikawa  in action

Kanno becoming student yokozuna in 2018

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Kanno might require some censoring from Kinta if he makes it to makuuchi

Priceless..

6 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

His name might read Sugano also

If Katooshu says Kanno, he probably knows.. I’m the one that just guesses.

Edit: A simple search for Kanno brings him up in a few Ama sumo threads, so we have a winner..

Edited by Kintamayama

8 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

He's always announced as Kanno

I guess he Kanno be anyone else..

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I guess he Kanno be anyone else..

I knew it was a Kanno worms...

• Haha 2

Already, that's it! Stop! This thread is getting ... silly!

Joining Sakaigawa-beya is 15-year-old Yuya Mizuno (水野 裕哉), soon to graduate from Mizunamikita Junior High School in Mizunami, Gifu prefecture. He has sumo experience throughout his school years, and participated in the wanpaku national championships in all three years of elementary school. An encounter with former Komusubi Mainoumi led to him being introduced to Sakaigawa-oyakata (former Komusubi Ryogoku), and he went on to visit the heya's lodgings when they were at the Nagoya basho.

Mizuno currently stands at 174.2cm and 132kg. He will be only the second man from Mizunami to join ozumo, following Mizuyutaka.

He visited the city hall with his mother Megumi and school principal Ando to report the news to the Mayor of Mizunami, Koji Mizuno (no apparent relation to the recruit, at least nothing is mentioned in the blog post).

Matawari and shiko demonstrations.

PfApHw22_o.jpg

bvi6Jy1Y_o.jpg

s372bGx5_o.jpg

osCNdHpd_o.jpg

A rare quadruple no-flag.

oSzYAiPe_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1