Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Retired after Aki 2020

30 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Makushita:

Kaito

That's a surprise. Did I miss something? He won the Makushita Yusho in January and hasn't missed a single day since then. Still quite young at 24.

4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Retired:

Jonokuchi:

Daigonishiki

There goes the Takasago-beya chanko nabe chef. He had been in charge of the kitchen for years and would appear in documentaries (Asashoryu-days) to give information on how cooking was done in his heya.

Edited by Raishu
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Raishu said:

There goes the Takasago-beya chanko nabe chef. He had been in charge of the kitchen for years and would appear in documentaries (Asashoryu-days) to give information on how cooking was done in his heya.

Really? I thought Ichinoya was the chef. He was, back in 2000.. I guess when he became heya manager Daigonishiki took over.

44 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Really? I thought Ichinoya was the chef. He was, back in 2000.. I guess when he became heya manager Daigonishiki took over.

Sounds plausible. I can't find the documentary anymore (probably got taken down?), but it highlighted Daigonishiki as the one responsible for chanko.

A quick search shows that Akinomaki also named him as the chanko-ban here on the forum:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/38278-new-recruits-for-kyushu-2018/?page=2

25 minutes ago, Raishu said:

Sounds plausible. I can't find the documentary anymore (probably got taken down?), but it highlighted Daigonishiki as the one responsible for chanko.

A quick search shows that Akinomaki also named him as the chanko-ban here on the forum:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/38278-new-recruits-for-kyushu-2018/?page=2

2018, so I guess that's right. In any case, in 2000, I ate Ichinoya's chanko..

• Like 1

Both as chanko-ban:

On 05/09/2018 at 18:30, Akinomaki said:

The chanko on sale at the Aki basho will be from Takasago-beya

Heya manager ex-Ichinoya and 3 basho banzuke-gai Daigonishiki prepared it for the PR

DmUSmPgVsAA7wnG.jpg:thumbo DmUSlwuU4AEOXSt.jpg:thumbo

Nikkan on day 15 had a special on Daigonishiki retiring as chanko-cho, which he became around the year 2003. His 2nd career, introduced to by a heya koenkai member, will be superintendent of the dormitory of a company in Gifu pref., without doing any cooking there: "Seeing off the employees to work, cleaning and so on, like an extension of what was in the heya. I'm looking forward to it." http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/column/sumo/news/202009270000083.html

202009270000083-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 11/09/2020 at 13:34, Yubinhaad said:

Minato-beya's 45-year-old nito tokoyama Tokomori retired as of September 4th, after 30 years in the job.

Nikkan on day 11 had a special on Tokomori. He retired because he wanted to become onion farmer on Awaji island (Hyogo), he already moved to the farm of his wife's parents. He also wants to produce wine, like his brother-in-law does there: "Sumo is also appealing and I love it, but what I can't do while I'm in the NSK is on Awaji island. Work on the fields is one, and I can also go angling at the harbor in plain sight. I have no regrets, now there is just enjoyment."

He first wanted to become a rikishi, like his brother, ex-Kainohana, but was too small and agreed to start at first as tokoyama in the old Tatsutagawa-beya of ex-Aonosato: "How about doing it 2, 3, years, and when you are bigger, change to rikishi." He finally reached 170cm but went on as tokoyama. He was unique though in that for 10 years, only before Tokyo basho or at training camps, he put on a mawashi and did keiko with the rikishi. The shisho attentively taught him a lot, also how to prepare chanko, took him to talks with company presidents and the like. With the retirement of the shisho in 2000 he moved to Minato-beya, his biggest moment in the media was when he prepared the first mage of Ichinojo, Oct. 27th 2014. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/column/sumo/news/202009230000028.html

202009230000028-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:
8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Makushita:

Kaito

That's a surprise. Did I miss something? He won the Makushita Yusho in January and hasn't missed a single day since then. Still quite young at 24.

Kaito retires after eight years on the dohyo - he was former Ozeki Kaio's first uchideshi before he branched out to start Asakayama-beya. In the 2015 Hatsu basho he suffered a severe knee injury and needed surgery, forcing him to miss the next four basho, but he won the Jonidan yusho on his way back up the ranks.

In January this year he won the Makushita yusho and reached his highest rank of Makushita 5 in March, where he got to wear an oichomage for a Juryo bout. But a herniated disc in his neck was causing him increasing difficulty, so he decided to retire.

Spoiler

Asakayama-oyakata collects his first recruit.

fmtdPbt8_o.jpg

Kaito at the shussehiro.

bupZPyNV_o.jpg

Jonidan yusho in 2016 Hatsu. Certificate presented by the late former Sekiwake Sakahoko.

crJbzznD_o.jpg

Winning the Makushita yusho earlier this year.

1IznCUPI_o.jpg

With the shisho ahead of the danpatsu-shiki.

1iuTItRS_o.jpg

Kaito's stablemates make their cuts. Hard to tell who's who, with the exception of nonmage Kaihiryu in the fourth picture.

ZE9CF2tL_o.jpg

e8BMILWL_o.jpg

ByweITPn_o.jpg

XjBk2wzY_o.jpg

Next is the okamisan.

8zdM4Fsn_o.jpg

And finally, the shisho brings the ceremony to an end with the final cut.

vMNWGPZx_o.jpg

hHIuok03_o.jpg

Kaito takes down his nameplate from the heya ranking board.

pvq6Khzf_o.jpg

It was then put in a display case with his severed mage.

ee2FKBZw_o.jpg

No pictures of Daigonishiki's danpatsu-shiki yet unfortunately although it has taken place, he had a buzzcut afterwards to tidy things up.

Spoiler

oA3zAwZ7_o.jpg

Perhaps writing down the chanko recipes for his successor.

MMas4qZD_o.jpg

Tamanoi-beya's goto tokoyama Tokotama has also retired after five years in the job. He's not giving up working with hair though, he plans to become a hairdresser from now on.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Yubinhaad said:

Tamanoi-beya's goto tokoyama Tokotama has also retired after five years in the job. He's not giving up working with hair though, he plans to become a hairdresser from now on.

"Hiroko, you got your hair done .... uh .... what's that smell?

"It's bintsuke! I got my hair done at Tokotama-san's new salon, Oichomage."

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Kaito retires after eight years on the dohyo - he was former Ozeki Kaio's first uchideshi before he branched out to start Asakayama-beya. In the 2015 Hatsu basho he suffered a severe knee injury and needed surgery, forcing him to miss the next four basho, but he won the Jonidan yusho on his way back up the ranks.

In January this year he won the Makushita yusho and reached his highest rank of Makushita 5 in March, where he got to wear an oichomage for a Juryo bout. But a herniated disc in his neck was causing him increasing difficulty, so he decided to retire.

Reveal hidden contents

Asakayama-oyakata collects his first recruit.

fmtdPbt8_o.jpg

Kaito at the shussehiro.

bupZPyNV_o.jpg

Jonidan yusho in 2016 Hatsu. Certificate presented by the late former Sekiwake Sakahoko.

crJbzznD_o.jpg

Winning the Makushita yusho earlier this year.

1IznCUPI_o.jpg

With the shisho ahead of the danpatsu-shiki.

1iuTItRS_o.jpg

Kaito's stablemates make their cuts. Hard to tell who's who, with the exception of nonmage Kaihiryu in the fourth picture.

ZE9CF2tL_o.jpg

e8BMILWL_o.jpg

ByweITPn_o.jpg

XjBk2wzY_o.jpg

Next is the okamisan.

8zdM4Fsn_o.jpg

And finally, the shisho brings the ceremony to an end with the final cut.

vMNWGPZx_o.jpg

hHIuok03_o.jpg

Kaito takes down his nameplate from the heya ranking board.

pvq6Khzf_o.jpg

It was then put in a display case with his severed mage.

ee2FKBZw_o.jpg

No pictures of Daigonishiki's danpatsu-shiki yet unfortunately although it has taken place, he had a buzzcut afterwards to tidy things up.

Reveal hidden contents

oA3zAwZ7_o.jpg

Perhaps writing down the chanko recipes for his successor.

MMas4qZD_o.jpg

That's two young guys in one basho we've lost to neck injuries. tragic.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

He first wanted to become a rikishi, like his brother, ex-Kainohana, but was too small and agreed to start at first as tokoyama in the old Takadagawa-beya of ex-Aonosato:

Tatsutagawa

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

That's two young guys in one basho we've lost to neck injuries. tragic.

Retired, not dead, touch wood...

I still think Kotoshougiku has decided to retire. Lately some of the top guys' retirement have been announced after the banzuke has been done. I think it's paperwork time and the announcement will come soon. That's what I think. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Naganoyama said:

Your list should also include jonokuchi rikishi Wakatoriumi.

Indeed, must have missed him.

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I still think Kotoshougiku has decided to retire. Lately some of the top guys' retirement have been announced after the banzuke has been done. I think it's paperwork time and the announcement will come soon. That's what I think. 

Goeido took over officially as Takekuma just two days after Hatsu's senshuraku and given that no one is using Kotoshogiku's kabu and that the writing was on the wall all the time, Kotoshogiku could probably have done likewise had he already made his mind. I believe he has decided that he was injured but not done and will give it another go like Miyabiyama did, probably facing similar results.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, shumitto said:

...will give it another go like Miyabiyama did, probably facing similar results. 

Going back up to Komusubi? I hope so!

49 minutes ago, shumitto said:

Goeido took over officially as Takekuma just two days after Hatsu's senshuraku and given that no one is using Kotoshogiku's kabu and that the writing was on the wall all the time, Kotoshogiku could probably have done likewise had he already made his mind. 

Goeido did it the proper old school way, immediately making room for another makuuchi promotion. If, as Moti has suggested, the Geek has delayed his intai announcement to be on the banzuke one last time, then all he's probably done is prevent Takatoriki's kid getting promoted to sekitori this time.

27 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Goeido did it the proper old school way, immediately making room for another makuuchi promotion. If, as Moti has suggested, the Geek has delayed his intai announcement to be on the banzuke one last time, then all he's probably done is prevent Takatoriki's kid getting promoted to sekitori this time.

A lot of articles suggest he has announced that he plans to continue. So maybe I'm just being pessimistic. He is a straightforward guy. And if his kabu is free, then there is no reason. Still, I have this feeling.

Edited by Kintamayama

Just out of curiosity, can a rikishi retire and then come out of retirement? This happens in American sports every once-in-a-while (Michael Jordan and Rob Gronkowski off the top of my head). 

6 minutes ago, nelimw said:

Just out of curiosity, can a rikishi retire and then come out of retirement? This happens in American sports every once-in-a-while (Michael Jordan and Rob Gronkowski off the top of my head). 

Nope, once the papers are handed in and accepted, there's no going back. It's for that reason that stablemasters frequently delay handing in retirement papers for runaway deshi for months, because sometimes the deshi, given enough time to reflect on things, might decide to come back.

33 minutes ago, fwuzzle23 said:

Nope, once the papers are handed in and accepted, there's no going back. It's for that reason that stablemasters frequently delay handing in retirement papers for runaway deshi for months, because sometimes the deshi, given enough time to reflect on things, might decide to come back.

I heard of a case where a young rikishi had to retire early because of injury, but because he was young enough they allowed him to become either a yobidashi or gyoji

And there's the special case of Sokokurai who successfully fought his way out of forced retirement.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

I heard of a case where a young rikishi had to retire early because of injury, but because he was young enough they allowed him to become either a yobidashi or gyoji

Would you happen to have more details on this case?