Sign in to follow this  
Fujisan

Video games

Sorry if that was condescending, but I have come across people who didn't know consoles were computers... 

I had PC gamer friends who switched to console when they started to become so versatile. "It does everything I need it to" is something I've heard a lot. I might have gone the same route if it weren't for the fact that my long-suffering wife would divorce me if I plugged a console into her TV and stopped her watching all that depressing stuff about hospitals and murders. Actually she might take inspiration from the latter and not bother with the divorce!

Talking about gamer friends, during the very first round of SWBF2 I played online back in late 2005 I kept coming across a guy using the same class as me (support with a flechette shotgun), who was distinctly better than me with it. Went by the name of YEA.

Within a couple of weeks I was in a clan, using VOIP to talk while we played. A couple of days later the guy who recruited me said, "Does anyone know Y-E-A? He's applied to join." I told him I did and he was a good player, so YEA was invited to join the Ventrilo server. A few minutes later YEA connected and what sounded like a 5yr-old girl asked, "Can you hear me?"

Very uncomfortably, the leader said, "Yeah, we can hear you. I hope you don't mind me asking, but how old are you? This is an 18+ server."

"I'm 26," she replied...

Within an hour or two, it didn't matter what she sounded like; she kicked arse! I don't mind admitting that she was better than me at every game we played over the years, except maybe Minecraft.

And the point I was coming to after all that is: I've never met her in the flesh, but we're still in regular contact and she remains a friend to this day. She's the longest standing, but I'm also playing Squadrons with people I first met online 12 or so years ago.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Sorry if that was condescending, but I have come across people who didn't know consoles were computers... 

I had PC gamer friends who switched to console when they started to become so versatile. "It does everything I need it to" is something I've heard a lot. I might have gone the same route if it weren't for the fact that my long-suffering wife would divorce me if I plugged a console into her TV and stopped her watching all that depressing stuff about hospitals and murders. Actually she might take inspiration from the latter and not bother with the divorce!

Talking about gamer friends, during the very first round of SWBF2 I played online back in late 2005 I kept coming across a guy using the same class as me (support with a flechette shotgun), who was distinctly better than me with it. Went by the name of YEA.

Within a couple of weeks I was in a clan, using VOIP to talk while we played. A couple of days later the guy who recruited me said, "Does anyone know Y-E-A? He's applied to join." I told him I did and he was a good player, so YEA was invited to join the Ventrilo server. A few minutes later YEA connected and what sounded like a 5yr-old girl asked, "Can you hear me?"

Very uncomfortably, the leader said, "Yeah, we can hear you. I hope you don't mind me asking, but how old are you? This is an 18+ server."

"I'm 26," she replied...

Within an hour or two, it didn't matter what she sounded like; she kicked arse! I don't mind admitting that she was better than me at every game we played over the years, except maybe Minecraft.

And the point I was coming to after all that is: I've never met her in the flesh, but we're still in regular contact and she remains a friend to this day. She's the longest standing, but I'm also playing Squadrons with people I first met online 12 or so years ago.

Slightly off topic but on the subject of girl gamers.

I used to play chess,one of my opponents called herself "naomi little t*ts‘"  

During our first game she had lost a Rook, A bishop and both her Knights and  I still had all my pieces except a couple of pawns.

My Queen was on the back row where the only piece preventing me taking her remaining rook was a bishop which blocked my way. 

Then she moved the bishop and let me take the rook.

At this I sent a message saying " Now you are trying to lure me into a false sense of security." 

At this point she checkmated me with her Queen and remaining bishop...

I was having so much fun taking her pieces,I failed to notice the danger I was in. 

You have to watch these girl gamers. ;-)

Edited by Fujisan

I've recently been playing a long-awaited game called 'Crusader Kings 3'.  If you know of the Sims games, imagine those mixed with the brutal and sometimes horrid flavour of Medieval times, with a big dash of Monty Python's holy grail thrown in.  The aim is to start off around the year 896 with a character, and create a family dynasty of people and lands that lasts till around 1400 or so.  There are many options open to you from the heroic warrior's path, to the Machavellian and dark world of spies and intrique.  To give you an idea, one rather shifty member of my extended family gifted me a luxuriant rug, only (i found later) so that his assassin's footsteps wouldn't be heard when he tried to do me in.

Over time i invented my own religion which meant i could only marry within that faith, and since i had chosen cannibalism as one my new tenets, my pool of available husbands and wives became ever smaller and more inbred, until my current character (the 13th or 14th character down the Dynasty's line) has ended up as technically being his own grandfather, and having a family tree that looks like a ball of tangled up Christmas lights.  Suffice to say i'm not very good at the game, but i've had a lot of fun with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Fujisan said:

You have to watch these girl gamers. ;-)

That's sexist, that is! :-P

But it's true. I've never got into chess, but the female of the species is more deadly than the male in shooters. Quicker reaction times, I believe.

Chess has enjoyed a massive boom on Twitch TV this year, by the way, presumably due to the lockdown. Out of the blue, massively popular game streamers of all genres started playing online chess.

I'm a racing fanatic, so I like to spend my gaming time on racing sims. I have a PS4 and really enjoy Gran Turismo Sport, F1 2020, and Dirt Rally 2. 

There is a happy ending to my Womens lib tale....

For the 1st and only time I went back and studied my opponents form and found that this was her favored attack and always won with the Queen-Bishop checkmate.

In our rematch at the 1st opportunity I exchanged Queens knowing I depended on mine a lot less than she did.... 

As far as the pieces go,it was closer this time but round 2 went to the boys....

I know you would like to know how the decider went but I  have to dissappoint you because there wasn't one...

I dont remember why.

Edited by Fujisan

On 09/10/2020 at 07:17, Shinobi Steve said:

I'm a racing fanatic, so I like to spend my gaming time on racing sims. I have a PS4 and really enjoy Gran Turismo Sport, F1 2020, and Dirt Rally 2. 

Got a great game for you then if you haven't played it already.

The only game I played at friends house and enjoyed it so much I went and bought it the next day. 

"Burnout revenge"  Ps2

There have been a few burnout games but it has to be this one because its the only one that allows you to hit same way traffic.

Its  an amazing game,even bettter than Gran turismo 

I've fiinished it 3 times

On 07/10/2020 at 17:18, Bugman said:

I've recently been playing a long-awaited game called 'Crusader Kings 3'.  If you know of the Sims games, imagine those mixed with the brutal and sometimes horrid flavour of Medieval times, with a big dash of Monty Python's holy grail thrown in.  The aim is to start off around the year 896 with a character, and create a family dynasty of people and lands that lasts till around 1400 or so.  There are many options open to you from the heroic warrior's path, to the Machavellian and dark world of spies and intrique.  To give you an idea, one rather shifty member of my extended family gifted me a luxuriant rug, only (i found later) so that his assassin's footsteps wouldn't be heard when he tried to do me in.

Over time i invented my own religion which meant i could only marry within that faith, and since i had chosen cannibalism as one my new tenets, my pool of available husbands and wives became ever smaller and more inbred, until my current character (the 13th or 14th character down the Dynasty's line) has ended up as technically being his own grandfather, and having a family tree that looks like a ball of tangled up Christmas lights.  Suffice to say i'm not very good at the game, but i've had a lot of fun with it.

I like those kinda games too... when i have the time, that is, I haven't been able to get Crusader King 3 yet (although i loved 2) but i've recently ended up with a little more cash than usual and a lot more time on my hands, so, here we go!