Sign in to follow this  
Fujisan

Video games

Well we have had favoure music,now its video games-

Whats your favorite computer and video 

Mine is Grand theft auto San Andreas.

There have been other GTA since then but despite  the better graphics they fail to match GTA  san anreas

• Like 1

Mostly Role Playing games (RPG) as far as I'm concerned. Dungeon crawlers such as (to refer to recent games) Legend Of Grimrock I and II.
I had a period with combat games (Tekken, Soul Calibour...) or First Person Shooters (James Bond ...) but it was fun when played in parties 4 to 6 people in the same room. Much more fun that playing online...

Oh you know which was extremely fun also ? Mario Kart ! ! We had some hilarious sessions. :-)

• Like 1

My favorite game of all time is 4 player gauntlet in the arcade and without bragging too much I was quite good at it... 

Here is my record on it.(All on one 10p)

High score 6.999.000  

Highest level 375

Time spent on it    11 hours 30 minutes(When one  local pub had it I used to leave the game,go to the bar order a drink,then go back to playing the same game.)

The record high score according to the Guinness world gaming records was only 4.800 000.... 

Unfortunately I cant prove it though... 

• Like 1

On 01/10/2020 at 09:10, Athenayama said:

Oh you know which was extremely fun also ? Mario Kart ! ! We had some hilarious sessions. :-)

Mario Kart gets my vote. It was fun to play alone or with others. The N64 version was my favorite game by far. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fujisan said:

My favorite game of all time is 4 player gauntlet in the arcade and without bragging too much I was quite good at it... 

High score 6.999.000  

The record high score according to the Guinness world gaming records was only 4.800 000.... 

I take your word on that. I wouldn't understand someone coming on a sumo forum and lying about that. The only reason I could find is maybe to counter balance the results in Bench ? ;-)

Which character did you prefer to play in gauntlet?

Posted (edited)

I’m not much of a gamer these days but when I am/was I pretty much only play(ed) sports games (FIFA, Madden) or open-world games like GTA where I hardly bother with the missions. I prefer to cheat and unlock the world so I can just explore on my own time, run around destroying things and killing people. I’ve never really gotten into linear gameplay, which I guess is why sports and open worlds appeal to me. They’re purely about the escape into a different world where the rules of this one don’t apply.

Edited by Eikokurai

On 03/10/2020 at 06:33, Athenayama said:

I take your word on that. I wouldn't understand someone coming on a sumo forum and lying about that. The only reason I could find is maybe to counter balance the results in Bench ? ;-)

Which character did you prefer to play in gauntlet?

The popular choice was the elf but I allways played the warrior. 

• Like 1

On 03/10/2020 at 07:00, Eikokurai said:

I’m not much of a gamer these days but when I am/was I pretty much only play(ed) sports games (FIFA, Madden) or open-world games like GTA where I hardly bother with the missions. I prefer to cheat and unlock the world so I can just explore on my own time, run around destroying things and killing people. I’ve never really gotten into linear gameplay, which I guess is why sports and open worlds appeal to me. They’re purely about the escape into a different world where the rules of this one don’t apply.

I am glad to hear that about GTA I thought it was just me,although I have completed all the missions in GTA 5 I still visit its streets to run rampant regularly.  

I'm a big fan of all the Rockstar Games, but I have a particular soft spot for the Red Dead Redemption Series.

As a kid, the Tekken series, Jonah Lomu Rugby, Shane Warne Cricket ...

... and the most unheralded RPG of all time, Vandal Hearts.

Also Tetris will always be great.

• Like 1

To quote yesterday's cartoon from my tear-off calendar: "Has Pong 2 been released yet?"

• Haha 1

I avoided playing video games for much of my early life, mainly because I'm a tight bugger and they appeared as direct replacements for the cash-swallowing slot and pinball machines in arcades and pubs. It was fascinating to watch other people play, though, especially the good ones who'd spent lots of money and time learning the game. 

I was too much into fishing to get into computers, even though I worked with them from the early eighties, or into the various home gaming consoles that appeared at the time. It would be about the time of Tetris that I started to hate video game music...

It wasn't until late 1999 that I finally bought my own PC, and of course my kids wanted to play games on it. Well, it went from 'Dad, I can't do this' and me trying to figure out how, to me finishing the games before they did! My wife bought me Novalogic's F22 Lightning 3 that Christmas and video games kind of took over from fishing. I spent months mastering that game, then more months on Colin McRae Rally II, with a force feedback steering wheel clamped to my desk. 

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was my first shooter. Took me ages to finish the singleplayer campaign. Then I got the unbelievably good Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, which remains one of my favourites to this day. We didn't get broadband internet around here until late 2005, but as soon as we did I was playing games online. Star Wars Battlefront 2 first, then Battlefield 2, which was very good, but my favourite online shooter was the follow-up: Battlefield 2142. That was the first game I was good at right from the start. I've played many Battlefield, Call of Duty and Battlefront games since, but although the graphics are vastly improved these days, none of them come close to 2142 gameplay IMO. 

In late 2011 I built a new gaming PC specifically to play Battlefield 3, but the then new Frostbite game engine didn't float my boat at all. At a bit of a loose end I took the plunge into the MMORPG genre for the first time with Star Wars: The Old Republic. I'd avoided others like World of Warcraft, because of their renowned timesink nature, but the fact of the matter was I spent a lot less time playing video games than I ever had fishing. Wow, what an eye-opener SWTOR was!

After many months clearing all the end game content of SWTOR. I tried Minecraft for the first time. Not the 'Ooh, look at what I've built' Creative mode, but the far better Survival mode. Gameplay is way more important than graphics. I still go back to Minecraft from time to time, just to see what they've added - and they're constantly adding stuff.

No longer afraid of MMORPGs, I've played a few others, including Classic World of Warcraft when it was released last year. Had a great 4 months clearing the end content of that and stopped just after Christmas. Been a bit spoiled since then. The fabulous Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order singleplayer game occupied me for a couple of months then it was back to MMORPG with a twist, Conqueror's Blade, a really original idea and very enjoyable to play. 

I hung up my CB armour and longsword last Thursday, because Star Wars Squadrons came out on Friday. In the last few years I've had to concede that I'm now too old and slow to hold my own in online shooters. However, when I played 2017's SW Battlefront 2 reboot, I found I was sub-par in the ground battles, but still fairly good at flying and regularly got top score in space battles. So, using the 20-year-old Sidewinder 2 joystick with which I played F22 Lightning 3, I've been extremely chuffed over the past couple of days to find out I'm still a top gun in a starfighter!

• Like 2

No time to play any more, but when I was a bachelor, I used to play far too much Football Manager, buying the newest version every other year. The other game(s) that I would play a lot was/were in the Heroes of Might and Magic Series, I also enjoyed Dragon Quest VIII - but I see that that was 16 years ago! Wow.

Oh, and I like all of the Lego Games - Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Harry Potter etc. I am looking forward to when my 4 year old boy, Peter, is old enough to play these games with me again in 2 player mode.

These days, if I play anything, it will be online Bridge at Bridge Base Online.

• Like 1

I lost too much of my youth to the Final Fantasy series, VI and VII in particular. I don't have time for that kind of timesuck anymore, but shorter games do still get played. I really liked What Remains of Edith Finch, Gone Home, etc. Walking simulators are rarely good, but good ones are usually short. Erica was lots of fun. Story was not great, but the uniqueness of blending movies and games and not being crap at both was fascinating to me.

• Like 2

+1 to Heroes of Might And Magic, Final Fantasy VII, Football Manager like games.
I avoided MMORPGs for the only reason I was too much afraid to have no real life anymore... 

When I made my initial post about Mario Kart I was only thinking of console games and forgot about my true favorite: Civilization. 

I remember playing the first on the SNES before playing 2 through 5 on the pc. It’s been years since I last played and I think I heard 6 has been released since. Each had its ups and downs in terms of enjoyment from the simple but fun Civ 2 (which seemed so advanced at the time) to the complex and graphically advanced Civ 5. I’d say I prefer the later versions which were more multidimensional but to be honest they were all great. 

1 hour ago, Katsunorifuji said:

When I made my initial post about Mario Kart I was only thinking of console games and forgot about my true favorite: Civilization. 

A great set of games in many ways. I always found the even numbered versions to be superior to the odd numbered ones. One of the best things about the games is the music. Possibly the best video game music out there.

Colony builders, city builders (Sim City - the better versions) or things with a lot of scheduling or planning (like Transport Tycoon or Rollercoaster Tycoon). Not into sports games or first-person shooters (though my brother did make me play Doom as a kid on a LAN at home - I was terrible at it and I was scared of the monsters). 

However, Legend of Zelda might be my favourite series. Only managed to beat three of them though. Not a great fan of the dungeon bosses, but I love the puzzle solving.

14 minutes ago, Sakura said:

A great set of games in many ways. I always found the even numbered versions to be superior to the odd numbered ones. One of the best things about the games is the music. Possibly the best video game music out there.

Colony builders, city builders (Sim City - the better versions) or things with a lot of scheduling or planning (like Transport Tycoon or Rollercoaster Tycoon). Not into sports games or first-person shooters (though my brother did make me play Doom as a kid on a LAN at home - I was terrible at it and I was scared of the monsters). 

However, Legend of Zelda might be my favourite series. Only managed to beat three of them though. Not a great fan of the dungeon bosses, but I love the puzzle solving.

Caesar III, Caesar IV and Pharaoh used to be my favourite city builders. Looking this up, I see that Pharaoh will be re-released next year (over 20 years after the original). I might get it.

3 minutes ago, Jejima said:

Caesar III, Caesar IV and Pharaoh used to be my favourite city builders. Looking this up, I see that Pharaoh will be re-released next year (over 20 years after the original). I might get it.

I think we had the original Caesar.

On 02/10/2020 at 16:42, Fujisan said:

High score 6.999.000  

Highest level 375

Time spent on it    11 hours 30 minutes(When one  local pub had it I used to leave the game,go to the bar order a drink,then go back to playing the same game.)

That was a heroic effort. :-)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Houmanumi said:

I'm a big fan of all the Rockstar Games, but I have a particular soft spot for the Red Dead Redemption Series.

As a kid, the Tekken series, Jonah Lomu Rugby, Shane Warne Cricket ...

... and the most unheralded RPG of all time, Vandal Hearts.

Also Tetris will always be great.

I have to add my vote to Vandal hearts aswell but of course #1 will always be Final fantasy 7....

I am playing the remake at this present time.

All the FF games are highly reccomended BUT and its a big BUT stay away from Final Fantasy 9 A game that I hated with a vengeance....

Another RPG I loved and highly reccomend is Suikoden 2 A classic hero starts at the bottom and finishes at the top story with you playing the hero.

Watch out for the biggest betrayal in a RPG ever though. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I avoided playing video games for much of my early life, mainly because I'm a tight bugger and they appeared as direct replacements for the cash-swallowing slot and pinball machines in arcades and pubs. It was fascinating to watch other people play, though, especially the good ones who'd spent lots of money and time learning the game. 

I was too much into fishing to get into computers, even though I worked with them from the early eighties, or into the various home gaming consoles that appeared at the time. It would be about the time of Tetris that I started to hate video game music...

It wasn't until late 1999 that I finally bought my own PC, and of course my kids wanted to play games on it. Well, it went from 'Dad, I can't do this' and me trying to figure out how, to me finishing the games before they did! My wife bought me Novalogic's F22 Lightning 3 that Christmas and video games kind of took over from fishing. I spent months mastering that game, then more months on Colin McRae Rally II, with a force feedback steering wheel clamped to my desk. 

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was my first shooter. Took me ages to finish the singleplayer campaign

You might be surprised to know that although I spent many days in the arcades in my teens and early twenties I was never very good at the games(The gauntlet being the exception) and like you I was a latecomer  to the world of computers and game consoles.. 

In fact it was about the same time 1999-2000 l first got on the internet and 2 years after that I got my first computer...

As for computer games I have an even biggger confession------------I never got into computer games at all....

At about the same time 1999-2000 I bought my first ever games console and I was hooked.....PlayStation 1

Final fantasy 7,Resident evil 2,Metal gear solid,Medal of Honor ,Legacy of Khan-Soul Reaver

Nuf sed.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Fujisan said:

As for computer games I have an even biggger confession------------I never got into computer games at all....

At about the same time 1999-2000 I bought my first ever games console and I was hooked.....PlayStation 1

Video games are computer games. A PS1 (and every other console) is a computer; a single purpose one for gaming*. 

I never got into consoles, but I have to admit they've taken over the gaming world. I might describe myself as 'PC Master Race' on a gaming forum, but the fact of the matter is we are a minority now. Sure, there are some PC-only games, like Conqueror's Blade for example, but the vast majority, including Star Wars Squadrons, are made for consoles and then ported to PC.

*At least they started that way. They've turned into multi-media centres (which to my mind makes them even more like a crippled PC).

Edited by RabidJohn

16 hours ago, Finngall said:

That was a heroic effort. :-)

Thank you...

I have  to be honest,the high score is not exact because it was a long time ago I forget the exact score  but I know it was just less than 7 million because I remember being dissappointed not to reach  that 7th million. 

The problem was that although I could have played the game indefinately,the arcade didn't stay open indefinitely and if I wanted to register myscore I had to end the game.

This meant I had to do a suicide run as the time ran out and that left me no control over the final score.

10 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Video games are computer games. A PS1 (and every other console) is a computer; a single purpose one for gaming*. 

I never got into consoles, but I have to admit they've taken over the gaming world. I might describe myself as 'PC Master Race' on a gaming forum, but the fact of the matter is we are a minority now. Sure, there are some PC-only games, like Conqueror's Blade for example, but the vast majority, including Star Wars Squadrons, are made for consoles and then ported to PC.

*At least they started that way. They've turned into multi-media centres (which to my mind makes them even more like a crippled PC).

Well yes I did know that but I thought you would know what I meant..

The only game I have ever bought to play on the computer was a Solitaire compilation.

I am sorry to say that although I have a laptop I barely use it(Mostly for Solitaire and Hearts)

I use my playstation 4 for the internet now.

It works bettter than my old laptop.... ;-)