Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Ex-rikishi YT sumo channels

By now YouTube is crowded with ex-rikishi channels. The latest YouTuber debut is by Takatoriki, who opened the Takatoriki-beya channel today, to bring sumo back to life

On 05/08/2020 at 16:14, Akinomaki said:

Now Ishinriki has a YT channel: Ishinriki-beya

He started today by posting 2 videos with instructions for sumo training at home - apparently in his home he has his own dohyo

On 29/05/2020 at 16:42, Akinomaki said:

Ex-Tokotakara has a sumo bar chanko restaurant (titled sumo chaya) and recently started a YT channel https://www.youtube.com/user/sumobarnori/videos

How he joined ozumo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6l3DliDpv0

About Nishonoseki-oyakata (Kongo) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz8hjTr5BtU

About the injuries that - after going on with a broken neck, in the end - made him retire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO_PL4jFUh4

On 28/05/2020 at 12:59, Akinomaki said:
On 12/04/2020 at 16:49, Akinomaki said:

Next to start a YT channel is Mizuguchi

Mizuguchi on his Gut-channel has started a full sumo course, alone the basics, and for oshi- and yotsu-zumo demonstration he is joined by 2 other ex-Kasugayama ototo-deshi as assistants: Gottsu-kun (Goto) = Shoei and Shohei Ose. In the introduction of Shoei, his supposedly best bout is shown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaRjTL6PlnQ

On 10/04/2020 at 12:19, Akinomaki said:

Former Matsumusashi  has a new YT (Mat-)channel, to answer questions about the sumo world. In the first video he talks about how to become a rikishi - with assistant Yohmusahi - his wife's name is Yohko. He was the first deshi of Mienoumi (the former Musashigawa), scouted before the start of the heya - apparently later the chankoban who invented the curry chanko of Musashigawa-beya

Hishofuji's channel

There are plenty of others with less sumo content (I'll leave that for the former rikishi thread) and also ex-amateur rikishi.

Special this basho's were Terunofuji's ex-tsukebito Shunba appearing on the channel of SumoPro - o-sumo-san promotions, a company run by Wakatenro, with plenty of ex-rikishi affiliated, and ex-Daikiho on the Amita sumo channel (of an amateur rikishi).

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/08/2020 at 12:33, Akinomaki said:

Ex-Amuru is now trainer at the gym Flex Tsudanuma in Chiba pref., and has started there Nikolay's online Sumo Dojo

Amuru now has his own YT channel for his sumo dojo, today with the basic(s) video, shiko stamping

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/09/2020 at 15:52, Akinomaki said:

The latest YouTuber debut is by Takatoriki, who opened the Takatoriki-beya channel today, to bring sumo back to life

Takatoriki has gone into attack mode - lately he is concentrating on yaocho and other scandals and is also naming active oyakata, e.g. that Kirishima (Michinoku-oyakata) came to ask him lose a bout in makushita, to ensure the juryo promotion of a stablemate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSEU1ekza68

The video with the most impact so far is one (2 parts)  together with the former Magaki-oyakata (Wakanohana II), who was responsible for the Osaka basho.  He went to a care facility in Osaka pref. to talk to him e.g. about the dark side of ticket sales. NSK no. 2 Oguruma-oyakata is called an A class criminal by ex-Magaki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTJzFtdnX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bFDLIa82MA

Takatoriki in his videos always defends Takanohana and depicts dark powers in the NSK that drove him out.

And Takatoriki says, he got told to keep quiet about what he is now putting on YT on a daily basis, because else his 3 sons would pay for it.

He concentrates on assembling ex-rikishi that had to leave the NSK, to have them tell about the injustice they think they had suffered. Next may be Kotomitsuki. https://www.news-postseven.com/archives/20201210_1618771.html?DETAIL

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Takatoriki has gone into attack mode

There seems to be absolutely no reaction by the NSK right? Which is probably for the best, to avoid the Streisand effect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seiyashi said:

There seems to be absolutely no reaction by the NSK right? Which is probably for the best, to avoid the Streisand effect.

Definitely agree. The Kyokai can't even so much as acknowledge this, because if they do, there's going to be a wave of scandals and we all know that the tabloids don't care whether something is true or not. It would explode. 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

44 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

Definitely agree. The Kyokai can't even so much as acknowledge this, because if they do, there's going to be a wave of scandals and we all know that the tabloids don't care whether something is true or not. It would explode. 

From what I know of Takatoriki's content (second hand, since my conversational Japanese is worse than my written/read Japanese), he seems to be banging on a mix of old injustices and current bungles to push his point (vendetta) that the NSK needs reform. To be more precise:

1. As far as old scandals are concerned, he's just some rando ranting on a YT channel. Officially, yaocho left sumo in 2011, so Takatoriki is just bringing up ancient history, and the NSK doesn't need to publicly acknowledge it. I say publicly, because if we take Takatoriki at his word, someone has tried to get him to shut up on the QT, so he might be rubbing some people the wrong way but not enough to get publicly rebuked.
  2. With ex-rikishi "injustices", that's a case of victor writes history. Of course Takatoriki would like to paint it all as a grand conspiracy, but the truth is probably much simpler - institutional inertia with no one wanting to rock the boat and people who do getting kicked overboard.
  3. That said, Takatoriki is well within his rights to comment on current affairs in the NSK (e.g. the mess that was the Takasago handover), and while he is at pains to avoid slighting Asasekiryu in this, he still attempts to bring it back to the point that the kabu system needs reform. One can't help but to detect a strong whiff of sour grapes that the NSK forced him out of his ownership of the Otake stock because of his gambling addiction back then, and I don't see how any sane reform would have averted that result back then.

Chris Gould's translation of the Takatoriki Takasago video did include his own commentary that he thought sumo journalists were well aware of all the stuff Takatoriki exposed, and the true question was why those journalists weren't reporting it. But that's a wider question of journalistic ethics and not really specific to sumo, I think. To get inside scoops, you've got to cultivate the inside track with sources, but then that renders you incapable of dispassionate reporting, as you don't want to write anything that pisses your sources off and gets you cut off. And that's a super big problem in a face-valuing society like Japan.

Edited by Seiyashi

45 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

From what I know of Takatoriki's content (second hand, since my conversational Japanese is worse than my written/read Japanese), he seems to be banging on a mix of old injustices and current bungles to push his point (vendetta) that the NSK needs reform. To be more precise:

1. As far as old scandals are concerned, he's just some rando ranting on a YT channel. Officially, yaocho left sumo in 2011, so Takatoriki is just bringing up ancient history, and the NSK doesn't need to acknowledge it.
  2. With ex-rikishi "injustices", that's a case of victor writes history. Of course Takatoriki would like to paint it all as a grand conspiracy, but the truth is probably much simpler - institutional inertia with no one wanting to rock the boat and people who do getting kicked overboard.
  3. That said, Takatoriki is well within his rights to comment on current affairs in the NSK (e.g. the mess that was the Takasago handover), and while he is at pains to avoid slighting Asasekiryu in this, he still attempts to bring it back to the point that the kabu system needs reform. One can't help but to detect a strong whiff of sour grapes that the NSK forced him out of his ownership of the Otake stock because of his gambling addiction back then, and I don't see how any sane reform would have averted that result back then.

Chris Gould's translation of the Takatoriki Takasago video did include his own commentary that he thought sumo journalists were well aware of all the stuff Takatoriki exposed, and the true question was why those journalists weren't reporting it. But that's a wider question of journalistic ethics and not really specific to sumo, I think. To get inside scoops, you've got to cultivate the inside track with sources, but then that renders you incapable of dispassionate reporting, as you don't want to write anything that pisses your sources off and gets you cut off. And that's a super big problem in a face-valuing society like Japan.

Thank you for translating. I can understand no Japanese, spoken or written, and rely on Google Translate's puzzles. People like ourselves are naturally curious about the notoriously secretive sumo world. I appreciate Takatoriki for providing this content that people are at least interested in (even if they don't believe it) and a platform to discuss tough sumo issues and for ex-rikishi to air their grievances, which doubtless many have. However, his content can so easily turn into slander and conspiracy, which is fun for us to read obviously, but could spread misinformation in less informed circles. And yes, disinterested reporting is difficult in such situations, but he didn't have to give such personal attacks to rikishi. It's not just that I am a Kakuryu fan, but Takatoriki's comments that his parents should have taught him better so that he wouldn't display his kind of sumo didn't sit comfortably with me. Can't he see that sumo culture (i.e. pressure of not losing) also encourages (if not more so) such tactics/behaviour? As someone who claims to be a Kyokai critic, I expected more from him. 

Anyways, this is just my interpretation of the events and I never claim to be definitive, especially as I have only watched for a year. I don't really know the full backstories on everything. I find Takatoriki's content fun to watch, but try not to be too affected by it. ;-)

Edited by pricklypomegranate
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, pricklypomegranate said:

People like ourselves are naturally curious about the notoriously secretive sumo world. I appreciate Takatoriki for providing this content that people are at least interested in (even if they don't believe it) and a platform to discuss tough sumo issues and for ex-rikishi to air their grievances, which doubtless many have. However, his content can so easily turn into slander and conspiracy, which is fun for us to read obviously, but could spread misinformation in less informed circles. And yes, disinterested reporting is difficult in such situations, but he didn't have to give such personal attacks to rikishi. It's not just that I am a Kakuryu fan, but Takatoriki's comments that his parents should have taught him better so that he wouldn't display his kind of sumo didn't sit comfortably with me. Can't he see that sumo culture (i.e. pressure of not losing) also encourages (if not more so) such tactics/behaviour? As someone who claims to be a Kyokai critic, I expected more from him. 

You've put your finger on it precisely. It'd be off-topic to write a full sociological essay on this, but it essentially boils down to a question of who will watch the watchmen. Whistleblowers were thought to be the answer to the public interest in the correct functioning of public bodies, but who's to say the whistleblowers have gotten their facts right, and they are genuinely whistleblowing in the interest of the public and not their own slighted personal interest? In this particular case, the fact that Takatoriki obviously has a few axes to grind with the NSK given his history casts a very dark pall over stuff that comes out of him; I'd be careful about taking his channel at face value especially given that he is explicitly having ex-rikishi tell on the "injustices" they have suffered.

Oh boy, the latest one from Takatoriki just went ballistic in Ishiura’s dad.

13 hours ago, rhyen said:

Oh boy, the latest one from Takatoriki just went ballistic in Ishiura’s dad.

Any chance you can give us a quick summary? 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tochinofuji said:

Any chance you can give us a quick summary? 

Takatoriki claimed that Ishiura Tokiyoshi (father of the rikishi Ishiura, principal and sumo coach at Tottori Johoku High School) quoted him 100 million yen to recruit Yamaguchi (later Daikiho) out of high school. He also implied that Chairman Tanaka of Nihon University (Nichidai) worked his way up from sumo coach through similar schemes, and specifically Yamaguchi joining Miyagino after attending Nichidai (and Tottori Johoku) involved large sums of money changing hands.

Edited by Kamitsuumi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched the episode for 1/2/2021. Takatoriki and Yoshida san seem very personable. It would appear to me that Takatoriki has good intentions for trying to do this, some of the things he says may be off the charts and hopefully it doesn't affect his sons too badly. What they do have going for them is that they have Taiho in their pedigree. I'm sure though that if there are brokers that charge scouting fees within the sumo world as a whole (NSK, colleges, high schools) that this practice could potentially get toned down a bit if people start asking too many questions. He also invited Kotomitsuki to come onto his channel but Koto waived him off. Not that I blame him, he wants his son to be able to enter sumo without everyone seeing that his dad is a snitch.

9 hours ago, Kamitsuumi said:

Takatoriki claimed that Ishiura Tokiyoshi (father of the rikishi Ishiura, principal and sumo coach at Tottori Johoku High School) quoted him 100 million yen to recruit Yamaguchi (later Daikiho) out of high school. He also implied that Chairman Tanaka of Nihon University (Nichidai) worked his way up from sumo coach through similar schemes, and specifically Yamaguchi joining Miyagino after attending Nichidai (and Tottori Johoku) involved large sums of money changing hands.

Thank you very much!