Sign in to follow this  
Whitelionz85

How many have relatives in sumo?

Hi!

Are there many who have fathers or grandfathers in sumo? Or if it's common with brothers in the sport? And would be very happy if someone could name a few families who have been successful, or just have been in makuuchi division.

Wakanohana I, Takanohana (ozeki) are brothers. Wakanohana III and Takanohana are sons of the ozeki.

current 3rd generation would be Kotozakura, Kotonowaka (son-in-law), & Kotonawaka II.

Taiho, Tatoriki (son-in-law) & grandson Naya, Mudohou, & Hozan

• Like 1

Current wrestlers with family would be the Onami brothers - top-ranked Wakatakakage in makuuchi with Wakamotoharu in juryo, and a third brother in makushita. Tobizaru's brother is Hidenoumi (of juryo), although both are - unusually - in different stables. Although you probably know that given the high profile of Wakatakakage and Tobizaru.

Sadanoumi is the son of a former makuuchi wrestler, and took his father's shikona.

Kurohimeyama, an ex-sekiwake, has a grandson in the unsalaried ranks at the moment, I think.

The ex-Izutsu oyakata (ex Sakahoko) and Shikoroyama oyakata (ex Terao) were brothers, and both reached sekiwake, emulating their father Tsurugamine (II). They also had a third brother, Kakureizan, but who only reached juryo. Tsurugamine (II) himself married the adopted daughter of the adopted daughter of the 25th yokozuna, Nishinoumi Kajiro (II). 

Musashigawa oyakata (66th yokozuna Musashimaru) had a nephew, with the same name Fiamalu Penitani, in his own stable fighting under the shikona of Musashikuni. He never reached the salaried ranks and retired recently. Another famous uncle-nephew pair: Hoshoryu, shinnyumaku as of this basho, is the nephew of 68th yokozuna Asashoryu.

For some more extended relationships by marriage, Kitajin oyakata (ex Shotenro) is Tomozuna oyakata's (ex Kyokutenho) brother-in-law. And Ryuo, Hakuho's senpai at Miyagino, is now his cousin-in-law.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 1

You have two brothers in Kokone beya: Chiyomaru and Chiyootori, both in Juryo, although they have been in Makuuchi too (Chiyomaru is always bouncing between the top two divisions). 

And Hokutenkai, that fought today for the Sandanme yusho, is the nephew of ex Takanoiwa, the guy with the broken skull :)

• Like 1

This subject comes up frequently

On 30/05/2019 at 07:54, Asashosakari said:

And in English/romaji, stolen as always from old Kyokai banzuke topics (the 2010.07 edition in this case):

(Table 2) Father-Son Sekitori

Father Sekitori
Debut
Top Rank Son Sekitori
Debut
Top Rank
1 Kagamiiwa 11/1801 K. Kagamiiwa 1/1826 M. #8
2 Isenohama 1/1884 M. #3 Isenohama 5/1905 O.
3 Masuiyama 1/40 O. Masuiyama 7/69 O.
4 Jindachi
(Kenryu)
3/53 J. #1 Daishin
(Ozutsu)
7/77 S.
5 Kakureizan
(Tsurugamine)
5/52 S. Kakureizan 7/81 J. #2
Fukuzono
(Sakahoko)
7/81 S.
Genjiyama
(Terao)
7/81 S.
6 Oginohana 5/57 S. Oginohana 7/89 M. #2
Oginishiki 11/91 K.
7 Hanada
(Takanohana I)
3/68 O. Wakahanada
(Wakanohana III)
3/90 Y.
Takahanada
(Takanohana II)
11/89 Y.
8 Tochiazuma 5/65 S. Tochiazuma 5/96 O.
9 Matsumura
(Sadanoumi)
3/78 K. Sadanoumi 7/10 (J. #14)

Edit: DB links added.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2018 at 13:58, Akinomaki said:

the shin-deshi kensa on the 31st, among them Motohiro Hamasu 浜洲泉啓  (17, Tokyo-to shusshin, Saitama Sakae high) the first son of Onoe-oyakata  - for his father's heya

On 31/08/2019 at 20:11, Akinomaki said:

Ajigawa-oyakata (Aminishiki) today was guest on TBS radio at "Knights' efficient grand broadcast" 

Elder brother (Asofuji), grandfather (who?) and father's cousin (Asahifuji, the shisho) were rikishi, the father (fisherman) also instructor in amateur sumo - http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?shikona=Suginomori

On 17/10/2018 at 17:00, Akinomaki said:

Wakanoumi Masateru II was active during the 60's and 70's, highest rank was Maegashira 2, looks like his Intai was in 78(?) after that he became an elder and left the association in 1992, not sure what happened to him after that.

The Japanese version of the page you provided tells the details https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/若ノ海正照

He became Otake-oyakata http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Kabu.aspx?rikishi=4083, since the kabu was owned by Taiho, attached to Taiho beya (would be better if the DB showed that instead of the same 2 heya as Wakanoumi I). He had to leave the NSK to make room for Ozutsu, then had a "Chanko Wakanoumi" restaurant (closed down https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1313/A131303/13008016/), and appeared as sumo coach in the NHK morning drama Hirari - he died of heart failure at age 49 a few years later. Father of Kachimori and Wakashoho

On 08/05/2018 at 16:41, Akinomaki said:
On 07/05/2018 at 16:08, Akinomaki said:

12 have applied for the shindeshi-kensa on the 8th, with the focus on Tanaka Toranosuke, the grandson of Kurohimeyama.

Tanaka is a 4th generation rikishi: the father-in-law of Kurohimeyama was Kitanonada, Tanaka's father is former makushita Haguronada.

On 11/01/2018 at 14:31, Akinomaki said:

Konno from the judo club of Ryukoku high in Asahikawa, Hokkaido, the son of Kitanishiki enters Sadogatake-beya. "First of all my father is the goal" (sandanme)

More on the Onamis

On 21/02/2017 at 15:34, Akinomaki said:

3 brothers at the same time in a heya, of a 3 generations ozumo rikishi family. 2nd son Goshi is close to sekitori, the eldest Onami after overcoming injury (2 basho kyujo) will most likely be back in makushita for Haru - and Atsushi Onami starts at the bottom of sandanme, with another name, unless his brother changes his shikona and lets him use that. Atsushi: "I want us to become sekitori as 3 brothers."

Who will be the first in juryo? - and who will get the shikona of grandad Wakabayama, who was trained in the Futabayama-dojo and then Tokitsukaze-beya. Father Wakashinobu was in Tatsutagawa-beya. 

On 15/08/2015 at 13:38, Akinomaki said:

Jd Genju (17, now Isegahama-beya) from Koriyama-city, Fukushima-pref.,

entered in Haru 2014 influenced by his father, a former rikishi, but with nearly no sumo experience.

his father, ex-sd Kiyosemine (Isegahama, both started with their real name Imaizumi)

There are other relations in sumo: Kyokudozan's brother is gyoji Hisanosuke, Masunoyama's brother is tokoyama

On 12/07/2018 at 22:36, Akinomaki said:

the story of Fusanishiki till Natsu 1957, with himself, other rikishi and oyakata and a few actors enacting real sumo,

土俵物語 Dohyo Monogatari

The feeble son of a gyoji dreams of a career in sumo, as Fusanishiki at last makes it to a bout officiated by his father, sanyaku gyoji Shikimori Kindayu, loses it on day 11 Natsu 57,  but gets another chance on day 14 and in the end receives the kachi-nanori from his father on the dohyo.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

There have been foreign born brothers too - Roho and Hakurozan from Russia both reached makuuchi. Kyokutenho had a younger brother, Fudoyama, who didn't reach the sekitori ranks. 

• Like 1

A long, long time ago I started up this thread (which I never added anything to later, unlike originally planned):

Includes various unheralded sumo relatives of actually well-known rikishi, among other categories.

• Like 1

I have two sections on brothers on my A-Z website.
Click 'Special Categories' at the top right.
Then click 'Brothers (All-time)' or 'Twins (All-time)' on the left.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Naganoyama said:

I was trying to find your website so I could pass on the info, but I couldn't remember the name.  It's an amazing piece of work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naganoyama said:

Could you please post the link to your awesome site as your signature?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Could you please post the link to your awesome site as your signature?

Done

• Thanks 4

14 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

I must agree that this is a really good website, with much fun and interesting information.

• Like 2