Sign in to follow this  
Ichimawashi

Solfeggio Shikona

Solfeggio is the system of music education designed to teach musicians relative pitch, consisting of single-syllable names for notes (do re mi etc.) and hand signals to help set the various pitches in the mind.  You may remember them using the hand signals in Close Encounters.  I wondered how many rikishi shikonas could be made up of the standard note names.  These are:

DO RE MI FA SO LA TI, plus the other five notes in the chromatic scale corresponding to the black notes in the key of C, which in solfeggio are called DI RI FI SI and LI.  We'll give you one more since in ancient times the tonic note was rendered as UT.

The most musical shikona I see on a quick look at the Aki 2020 banzuke is J10w Midorifuji, three notes (E C e-flat in the key of C) and a mountain.  Can you do better?

• Like 2

I understand Mi Do Ri as E C Eb (I use American system, never used this "solfeggio system" before, although is the point of your post). But didn't get the thing about "A mountain". You mean you just let it go, cause nothing in the system corresponds to the Fu Ji syllables?

10 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

Solfeggio is the system of music education designed to teach musicians relative pitch, consisting of single-syllable names for notes (do re mi etc.) and hand signals to help set the various pitches in the mind.  You may remember them using the hand signals in Close Encounters.  I wondered how many rikishi shikonas could be made up of the standard note names.  These are:

DO RE MI FA SO LA TI, plus the other five notes in the chromatic scale corresponding to the black notes in the key of C, which in solfeggio are called DI RI FI SI and LI.  We'll give you one more since in ancient times the tonic note was rendered as UT.

The most musical shikona I see on a quick look at the Aki 2020 banzuke is J10w Midorifuji, three notes (E C e-flat in the key of C) and a mountain.  Can you do better?

It's tough without K's and W's.

Might help if you allow us to use "L" as "R" since Japanese people do it.

Edited by Churaumi
The flied lice at Mickey Lunch was delicious.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting idea, quite difficult though. I don't think there is rikishi named SOFA or SORA, although you can pronounce Shishimaru somewhat like SISIMIRE (you know, twisting the vowels a bit like the way some gyoji announce the bout winner).

(Actually, the first thing that came to mind was MISOSIRI -- I mean misoshiru, please don't pronounce the word as it is and ponder about it for too long to avoid certain depiction)

Miso is a good start: I'm not a big fan of the soup,  but mi and so are usually the first notes young children learn in solfege classes since they form a minor third, which, especially in the descending form so-mi, is the basis for many children's chants and taunts.

This seemed like a good opportunity to use a spreadsheet, soooooo...

In the current banzuke I found no wrestlers with 4 or more matching syllables. Midorifuji and Tosamidori both have three matches, and allowing the japanese swap of ra/la, Hiradoumi makes the cut, as well. Oh, I guess Moriurara should count as three, but my search function isn't identifying multiple instances of the same sound within the text box as distinct counts. I wonder if I can tweak that...?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Benevolance said:

This seemed like a good opportunity to use a spreadsheet, soooooo...

In the current banzuke I found no wrestlers with 4 or more matching syllables. Midorifuji and Tosamidori both have three matches, and allowing the japanese swap of ra/la, Hiradoumi makes the cut, as well. Oh, I guess Moriurara should count as three, but my search function isn't identifying multiple instances of the same sound within the text box as distinct counts. I wonder if I can tweak that...?

This is one of those games with rules so weird that either nothing comes out, or there's a miracle shikona that has five of these.  Since that little imp in the back of my brain was teasing me with "well, how would you look for one of these?", I'm glad @Benevolance succumbed before I did and saved me the headache.  Thanks!

• Haha 1