Kintamayama

Aki talkie

9 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

When this happens, does the yobidashi begin by singing "I'm sooooooooooooooryyyyyyyyyyy....."  :)

It's suuuuuuuumimaseeeeeeeeeen ^^

By the way, please watch "James May, our man in Japan" on Amazon Prime. Sumimasen in advance.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Benihana said:

It's suuuuuuuumimaseeeeeeeeeen ^^

By the way, please watch "James May, our man in Japan" on Amazon Prime. Sumimasen in advance.

“James May Sumimasen” as train station jingle (Dribbling...)

• Haha 1

Day 5:

Houshouryuu, 3-2 in the first third of the basho: "The sumo from now on is important. I will gambarize to be able to concentrate and do my own sumo.."

Kotoshouhou, 4th win : "I was able to get in my first step so that was good. My body is moving well!!"

Geez, this is getting tiresome.. Same old same old, grinding, grinding grinding.. Booooring.  My sumo yadda yadda, gambarize,  body moving well.. I will concentrate.. Geez..

Now, back to our regular program:

Chiyotairyuu 4-1 and dong well: "So far I've been doing all kinds of stuff, but all I'm actually thinking about is hitting hard. Even if I lose all my remaining bouts, I'm going to stick to this.."

Tobizaru, first loss as a shin- nyumaku: "I was conscious of my winning streak, but I lost, and am actually feeling relieved.. At least I've been doing a lot of forwarding moving sumo. I will gambarize to turn things around!"

Kiribayama, continuing with his tsuki-oshi style but losing today: "I was thinking of going with the tsuppari but I was all over the place.."

Tochinoshin, beating another ex-Ozeki Takayasu with a hearty kakenage: "My back was too high and I couldn't grab the mawashi. I lost sumo-wise but won the bout.."

Hokutofuji, losing to Shoudai for his fourth loss: "I did manage to push him back today so I think that's a plus. I hope the next ten days will be good and I will concentrate and gambarize towards that end."

Mitakeumi, stopping his losing streak at 2 and winning his third today: " I wanted to win by moving forward, but at least I was able to end my losing streak. I want to win by doing my own brand of sumo.."

Ounoshou, sole leader with no losses: "I was looking out for a possible henka by Aoiyama. I am able to use my shoulders.. Last basho (0-13 from the start) was the worst in my career. Nothing is worse than that. Whatever I tried didn't work (including changing his mawashi). This basho my attitude is different. I used to lose whenever I attacked straight on at the tachiai. I have changed it this basho - My left leg is a bit extended and that gives me a small advantage. I thought to myself maybe I could shift a bit. It's working well.. I am an sushi oshi man at heart. I just push naturally.."

Shoudai, back in business today: "I just went forward all guns blazing without thinking of the loss yesterday. " He has been involved in the yusho race twice before but fell back both times. "I think I've learned to deal with the stress that comes with that. I haven't trained as much as I like because of the virus, but I did have a lot of time to face myself.."

Enhou, finally getting his first win today: "That was good. I finally won. I can't do shameful sumo.. If I run away from that, it's bad. I was able to take a small step forward today. I hope  to gambarize day by day.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Sounds like the press really needs to press more:

Houshouryuu, 3-2 in the first third of the basho: "The sumo from now on is important. I will gambarize to be able to concentrate and do my own sumo.."   So the first five days are meh?  No need to concentrate?

Kotoshouhou, 4th win : "I was able to get in my first step so that was good. My body is moving well!!"  One successful step is all you need, really?

Geez, this is getting tiresome.. Same old same old, grinding, grinding grinding.. Booooring.  My sumo yadda yadda, gambarize,  body moving well.. I will concentrate.. Geez..

Now, back to our regular program:

Chiyotairyuu 4-1 and dong well: "So far I've been doing all kinds of stuff, but all I'm actually thinking about is hitting hard. Even if I lose all my remaining bouts, I'm going to stick to this.."  I see a henka or three in your immediate future...

Tobizaru, first loss as a shin- nyumaku: "I was conscious of my winning streak, but I lost, and am actually feeling relieved.. At least I've been doing a lot of forwarding moving sumo. I will gambarize to turn things around!"  Wait, what?  You're relieved that you lost?  You've been going forward but now you're gonna turn things around?

Kiribayama, continuing with his tsuki-oshi style but losing today: "I was thinking of going with the tsuppari but I was all over the place.."  Looked more like you were dodging the opponent's tsuppari as I recall...

Tochinoshin, beating another ex-Ozeki Takayasu with a hearty kakenage: "My back was too high and I couldn't grab the mawashi. I lost sumo-wise but won the bout.."  Wow, never seen that before, a loss scored as a win because you didn't pull off the move you wanted to and improvised something else.  That never happens!

Hokutofuji, losing to Shoudai for his fourth loss: "I did manage to push him back today so I think that's a plus. I hope the next ten days will be good and I will concentrate and gambarize towards that end."  Fighting spirit prize committee alert: he managed to push him back before losing!  Write that down in your notebooks!

Mitakeumi, stopping his losing streak at 2 and winning his third today: " I wanted to win by moving forward, but at least I was able to end my losing streak. I want to win by doing my own brand of sumo.."  It's late where I am when Mitakeumi mounts the dohyo but I think I would remember if he won by moving backwards and winning with someone else's sumo.

Ounoshou, sole leader with no losses: "I was looking out for a possible henka by Aoiyama. I am able to use my shoulders.. Last basho (0-13 from the start) was the worst in my career. Nothing is worse than that. Whatever I tried didn't work (including changing his mawashi). This basho my attitude is different. I used to lose whenever I attacked straight on at the tachiai. I have changed it this basho - My left leg is a bit extended and that gives me a small advantage. I thought to myself maybe I could shift a bit. It's working well.. I am an sushi oshi man at heart. I just push naturally.."  Yes, those henkas by Aoiyama are maddening, aren't they.  Nobody ever sees them coming.  Because it never happens! 

Shoudai, back in business today: "I just went forward all guns blazing without thinking of the loss yesterday. " He has been involved in the yusho race twice before but fell back both times. "I think I've learned to deal with the stress that comes with that. I haven't trained as much as I like because of the virus, but I did have a lot of time to face myself.."  Headline: Shodai trains with mirror.

Enhou, finally getting his first win today: "That was good. I finally won. I can't do shameful sumo.. If I run away from that, it's bad. I was able to take a small step forward today. I hope  to gambarize day by day.."  I think the general consensus by now is that Enho needs to gambarize most when he has a rice bowl in front of him.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

... I haven't trained as much as I like because of the virus, but I did have a lot of time to face myself.." 

I like that. Nice. 

3 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

Yes, those henkas by Aoiyama are maddening, aren't they.  Nobody ever sees them coming.  Because it never happens! 

Oh, it happens-check out day 3 against Tokushouryuu. Not too long ago. He used to henka more when he was young, but it's there.

Edited by Kintamayama

Maestro Kintamayama: I love this thread, thanks for your reporting and translating!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

Sounds like the press really needs to press more...

Damn, I love this so much I need to post AND react. It's like the David Mitchell of sumo commentary!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

Sounds like the press really needs to press more:

20 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Damn, I love this so much I need to post AND react. It's like the David Mitchell of sumo commentary!

The talkie series is marvellous. It's what I LIVE for. I live for David Mitchell too, but am more of a Lee Mack kind of persona.

Edited by pricklypomegranate

Day 6:

Ura, 3-0 and getting closer to Juryo: "It was a strategic tachiai.. It went well (went for the ashitori quickly) and I'm happy. I didn't aim for that exactly, but once I had the opportunity, I took it. The fact that I'm 3-0 at this rank (Makushita 5) is miraculous to me. I've come this far, so I'd like to win one more. I'm not at a rank where I can think about returning to Juryo. It may take me two-three years to do that.. I'm not very confident.." He is still undergoing rehabilitation on his knee as he battles on the dohyo and the uneasiness is there. His classmates Mitakeumi and others are doing well at the high ranks in Makuuchi. "I'm not thinking about that. I read a book recently where it said 'comparing oneself to someone else only brings sorrow'. The fact that a classmate or someone my age reached heights has nothing to do with me, I think.."

Kagayaki, beating the slippery Enhou, same year at school, belonging to the same sumo club since junior high; "You never know what he is going to do. I was conscious only of my way." 

Terunofuji 4 straight wins: "Nothing much has changed (with my sumo) since the first two days, but getting my first step in, getting an outside grip  and pushing forward is what I have on my mind and I'm doing that." After tomorrow's match against Endou he will have faced all of sanyaku. "I have no idea what the next days have in store for me. It's important to be there for the 15 days.."

Chiyotairyuu, handing Ounoshou his first loss: "A loss doesn't mean my life is over.. All  I can do is my own sumo. My body is in good shape (dropped 19 kilos and is now 171). It's not because I won - my blood sugar level is good and I am healthy. I'm sleeping well. I'm happy of my record but I can't be happy with the first two days where I hit and pulled. I have to improve that part. I have lost  3-4 straight in the past at this point. I'll go at it feeling like a challenger.."

Tobizaru, fifth win, beating Houshouryuu: "I didn't want him to get my mawashi. I was able to move forward and that was good. " He lost on day 5 and was watching his bout over and over again on the train on the way back home. "I lost but I was moving forward.  I'll continue going at it feeling like a challenger!! (do we have a new cliche here?)"

Shoudai, still with only one loss, beating Tochinoshin: "I'm doing well and my body is moving well. I think I'm able to attack well. " In the past he used to answer in a negative way during interviews regarding his abilities, but this basho he is positive and brimming with confidence. He used to say stuff like "If I could, I wouldn't face anyone.." or "if I imagine a bout I get nervous. I can't even eat.." This basho he says stuff like "I want the yusho! I want to show good results!". "I've learned to face my anxieties. At this point, I feel no fatigue. I'd like to continue like this till the end! " he summed.

Daieishou, beating Yutakayama: "After the initial step at the tachiai,  I was able to make the right adjustments. I hope to ride this wave from here on.. "

Houshouryuu, losing today: ""I'm not moving badly.. I'll not take today's bout to heart and gambarize in my next bout."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Day 7:

Ura got his kachikoshi today and is inching towards Juryo from Makushita 5. He defeated Chiyonoumi,  an opponent he has faced during their college days. "We met at the national tournaments in college and he flung me out once.. I just planned to do all out sumo today. I did not think I would get a kachikoshi. I am happy to have achieved that. I can't rest on my laurels so I'll do my best these remaining three bouts and gambarize!" he said.

Rookie Kotoshouhou won his sixth bout today, beating his 'rival' Houshouryuu, having entered the sumo world together. "I was a bit conscious of my record so far.. I know I shouldn't have  been thinking about it, but I was.. I'd like to be able to keep up my rivalry with Houshouryuu and compete against him so that we can help each other get stronger!" 

Ichinojou, losing to Meisei  for his third loss: "My initial hit was weak and it became my opponent's sumo.. I screwed up.."

Tobizaru remains tied for the lead in his first Makuuchi basho: "I thought he would come at me slapping but I didn't care and decided I would come out pushing and went forward. I managed to get both hands inside and that was good.  It's only the first half of the basho so I'm not really thinking about the leader board. When you see those towels with your name on them it does mean you're getting popular. I want to gambarize so that the fans will remember my name!"

Wakatakakage at his highest career rank and 5-2: "My body is moving  and I'm not in bad shape.. I'm thinking all I can do is concentrate on each day's bout."

Ounoshou, 5 straight wins, 2 straight losses: "I want to go about it calmly as usual. I'll be leaving all the reflecting for when the basho is over and will return tomorrow to gambarize and turn things around."

Takayasu, 5-2  and looking good: "I didn't want to fall behind. I want to fight tomorrow with a good feeling."

Hokutofuji, doing good sumo but losing with a gyoji reversal call: "Both of us could have gotten the nod and it would not have been a surprise.. I have felt the severity of the decision.."

Tamawashi, beating Mitakeumi with a past of 2-21 in head to heads: "I'm thrilled. I managed to close my flank and do my own sumo, and that was good."

Mitakeumi, losing to Tamawashi: "No energy, huh? 'You have to push with all your might!' 'What's going on?' is what I am saying to myself. I have to put a lot more feeling in my sumo. I think my feeling has disappeared somewhere.. When I win, I can ride the wave, but when I lose, I can't.. If I don't change that it will be difficult to become an Ozeki. When my condition is bad, I have to find a way to find my strength.."

Shoudai , second loss but looking forward: "My morozashi was too shallow. My opponent closed his arms and that was my downfall.. I will not be reflecting on today's sumo. I don't want to keep that bad image in my head. My tachiai was not good and I will address that."

Yutakayama, injured his right ankle area: "I may have twisted it when it hit the tawara, but I think I'm OK."

Terunofuji, 5th win, beating Endou: "I just told myself to go about it as usual."  He has already faced all sanyaku rikishi and has a good chance of returning to sanyaku himself next basho. "The basho isn't over yet. I will do my best in the remaining days."
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

And Mitakeumi's big talk acts up again. For all the improvement he's shown in the last year, I wouldn't be surprised if he fluffs this basho again and Terunofuji beats him to ozeki.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Morning said:

Has there ever been  a makuuchi debutant winning the yusho in his first basho?

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=j&form2_rank=m&form2_y=on

Only Ryogoku. Tokushoryu and Terunofuji weren't new entrants. But this was in 1912, so take with a pinch of salt...

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=j&form2_rank=m&form2_y=on&form2_debutd=on (with the debut flag enabled)

Edited by Seiyashi

2 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Only Ryogoku. Tokushoryu and Terunofuji weren't new entrants. But this was in 1912, so take with a pinch of salt...

Thank you. That's indeed a bit past after what I'd usually consider. Would be exciting to see, but I don't think it's going to happen this basho.

Day 8- Nakabi:

Terunofuji, losing his first two bouts and now finding himself one of the co-leaders, beating Tamawashi today.: "I'm only doing my best.. I went with all I had today as I had planned. I was only thinking of moving forward patiently. It's good that I won. "

Daieishou, fiercely attacking and beating Mitakeumi: "I was able to get myself all worked up . My tachiai is improving. I want to do well from tomorrow!"

Tochinoshin, henka win against Takakeishou, causing a nine-man leader board after day 8: "It (the henka) was not a strategy. It just happened. I was planning on going about it as usual.. I won, but I'm not happy about the content. " Up until his bout,  rikishi from the east side won all the second half bouts.  "I didn't know that. I was utterly unaware .."

Tobizaru loses for the second time, but is still showboating: "It was good till the middle.. I dug my own grave.  I so wanted to win comfortably. But I'm able to attack so that's good, I just want to do my own forward moving brand of sumo so I don't lose my concentration.."  The small statured handsome rikishi is still tied for the lead, even after the loss.   "During Makuuchi there is a large crowd. The number of people who notice you is totally different.."

Kotoshouhou, beaten by Ichinojou for his second loss: " My use of the outside grip was not good. I want to take each bout each day seriously and go about it calmly."

Ounoshou, beating Ryuuden and tied for the lead with eight others: " I was calm and attacked from under. Leader board? It doesn't change how I feel. I'll gambarize calmly a bout a day without thinking about the outcome."

Wakatakakage, beats Takarafuji and is now also in the lead: "I knew my opponent would be coming at me with a left hand grip. I was able to move well and prevent that. " His third child was born in January but he would not disclose his name. When asked if he was gambarizing for his family, he answered "Yes, I am gambarizing with that in mind. All I can do is concentrate a bout a day!"

Shouhouzan,  0-8 at M15, looking at a demotion, and has not been in Juryo since September 2015: "It's not over yet. I will gambarize seriously!"

Takayasu, seeing his opponent Terutsuyoshi well and winning, tied for the lead as well: "I was able to do sumo that could cope with any moves thrown at me. First of all, I want that kachikoshi.. It's taking time. I'm trying to learn from my losses as well and do better the next day. Today, I patiently waited for it to become my kind of sumo.. " He got married lately and is very happy. "When I got my kachikoshi last basho both of us were truly happy. She is looking after me in many ways, but her emotional support is the most important.  Now that we are expecting  a child in January, I need to look after her health as well. For the child's sake, we have to join forces."  The yusho?  " I can only do my best, a bout a day.."  "

Shoudai beat Myougiryuu today and is part of the endless leader board as well: "I somehow managed to handle things on the dohyo today so that was good. I am not aware of the leader board. I need to get that kachikoshi first.."

Mitakeumi, Takakeishou and Asanoyama did not answer my questions.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Day 9:

Juryo Chiyonokuni is kachikoshi after winning today, leading Juryo with one loss: "I'm happy top achieve my kachikoshi, but we still have a ways to go. I'm not thinking of the yusho. I just want to gambarize (everybody together now..)a bout a day !!!"

Tobizaru, 7th win and in the leading pack: "I was happy to go on the attack all the way. I was planning on regrouping and doing my own kind of sumo. I'm not gorging but I am eating well. Maybe I should eat one more bowl.. People are telling me that they have seen me on TV. I'm really happy. The support and the applause I'm receiving is totally different now. I want to go bonkers in Makuuchi! Yusho race? Not thinking about it at all - still early days.""

Shouhouzan, finally getting his first win of the basho on day 9: "I am relieved. " He was inspired by the words of his tsukebito Ichiyamamoto after his loss yesterday. "There are much less rikishi who go 0-15 than there are those that zensho. Let's make a name for ourselves and go down in history!!" he said. A tsukebito saying things like that to a sekitori is against all customs, but Shouhouzan listened. "I had power in my shoulders and was able to go about it calmly. It's better when you have good relations with your tsukebito. It's better to be able to have a fun talk with them.."

Kotoshougiku losing again today, still with only two wins, answers the press for the first time this basho: " All I can do is to manage to go on with my left leg injury the best I can. I am mounting the dohyo because I can. I'm not thinking about staying in Makuuchi and stuff. It's at these times that all my weaknesses emerge. I just want to be on the dohyo and do my best." Asked why he decided to face the media- "I read an article yesterday saying that some rikishi said he won't talk to the press, so I decided to change my decision and participate.."

Shoudai, a torinaoshi and a win: "I'm glad I got another chance.. In the end I went nuts and was only thinking of staying in and that was the result."

Kotoshouhou' losing to Ounoshou today: "I was going around in circles, one step behind.."  

Hakkaku rijicho on Kotoshouhou: "Who does he think he is, slapping? He should find harder ways to win. He needs to move toughly from underneath again and again!"

Everyone was explaining why they didn't do any interviews till now. Takakeishou: " I misunderstood the whole remote interview thing.  I realized that on my way home yesterday. That's all it is. I restarted today (after losing to that henka yesterday)- today was today's sumo, that was in the past. Reflecting will be done where reflecting is done. I just wanted to do sumo I wouldn't regret. As for the fans, it's not only me, but all of us are doing our best. If I want to be an important part of this, I have to show my own flavor of sumo and win. " He has changed to a black mawashi this basho, one that he received when he was promoted to Ozeki. "I didn't have a chance to wear it till now. It's not a change of attitude but it did refresh my mind and gave me a feeling of a new start. There is no serious reason behind it. " A lot of rikishi tied for the lead. "As for myself, I'm not thinking too much about winning or losing-I'm concentrating on each day's bouts" (He made up for the last eight days with this talk, for sure..)

Wakatakakage, beating Takayasu today: "It was as I had planned, I was able to attack from under and that was the result.. I'm able to concentrate a bout at a time."

Ounoshou, remaining in the co-lead, beating Kotoshouhou: "I didn't want to fight him at the same height so I came in low. I've never faced him, not even in training (same Ichimon). I just wanted to seriously do my own sumo. It was strange to face someone so young.. I will continue every day as usual. "

Terunofuji: "What was was was. I did what I am able to do at present. For now, I want to ensure my promotion to sanyaku. Yusho? Not especially thinking about it. Just a bout at a time etc. etc.'"

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

I have a semiserious question: with the torikumi written the way it is, how could a rikishi take it two bouts at a time?

20 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I have a semiserious question: with the torikumi written the way it is, how could a rikishi take it two bouts at a time?

On the first day!

• Like 1

So the past tense version of "it is what it is" appears to be "what was was was." :)

2 hours ago, Ichimawashi said:

So the past tense version of "it is what it is" appears to be "what was was was." :)

Actually, it's a famous mistaken joke direct translation of a Hebrew idiom, meaning "forget the past" - "What was, was was (what was in the past, was in the past).."

9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Actually, it's a famous mistaken joke direct translation of a Hebrew idiom, meaning "forget the past" - "What was, was was (what was in the past, was in the past).."

I like it!

2 minutes ago, Ichimawashi said:

I like it!

I do too.. It's  usually used by someone who speaks terrible English and tries to literally translate stuff word for word.. Another example is "Don't mix up my mind" , translating "Don't nag" or "Don't get on my nerves.."