Akinomaki

Tokitsukaze under house arrest

2 hours ago, Raishu said:

He was indeed subject of discussions back then.

IIRC, it was learned that the Tokitsukaze share was still controlled by ex- Yutakayama (Katsuo), who - as a graduate from Tokyo University of Agriculture - favored Tokitsuumi (also a grad from aforementioned university).

On that note, Shodai would be at the prime heya-running age of 43 when Edagawa turns 65, should they want to conveniently bridge the gap to the next Tonodai candidate. (Of course, the same is true of the current Tokitsukaze should he actually get through this; he's three years younger than Edagawa.)

Not that the elder Yutakayama is still likely to call the shots in 2035 or 2038...

16 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Is he literally under house arrest?  I mean by the authorities? Or is he just under diktat from the Kyokai? 'Cause he was under that kind of house arrest already.  Maybe it really is double secret probation.

Kyokai "house arrest".

"I haven't heard anything about a resignation letter," sad Shibatayama Oyakata regarding Tokitsukaze. The Kyokai will issue a notice to all rikishi. "When you go outside  you may run into reporters from all sorts of publications. Some of them are known to be questioning our guidelines.. Please behave the way a Kyokai member should, because people are watching you. " it will  say, more or less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today, the talk is that sources close to Tokitsukaze are still adamant that whatever the punishment may be, he intends to resign from the Kyokai. "Even if he does hand in a resignation, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be simply accepted," said Shibatayama PR man. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So basically, they want to make his carry out the punishment like Abi before allowing him to resign in the near future (if at all)?

10 hours ago, rhyen said:

So basically, they want to make his carry out the punishment like Abi before allowing him to resign in the near future (if at all)?

I got the impression Abi's punishment was intended to push him towards resigning. If so, it didn't work, and he's accepted the punishment because he wants to continue as a rikishi.

If Tokitsukaze wants out, the Kyokai can't do much more than impose some penalty on his severance agreement.

They could do to him what they did to Takanohana. Demote him and not let him do extra duties so he becomes irrelevant. I don't know if Tokitsukaze is the ambitious type like Takanohana, though.

27 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

They could do to him what they did to Takanohana. Demote him and not let him do extra duties so he becomes irrelevant. I don't know if Tokitsukaze is the ambitious type like Takanohana, though.

I haven't been around Ozumo long, but it seemed like no one was the ambitious type like Takanohana.

3 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I haven't been around Ozumo long, but it seemed like no one was the ambitious type like Takanohana.

Yeah...I don't know if Takanohana understood the path to world domination doesn't run through the Nihon Sumo Kyokai...

• Haha 3

On 29/01/2021 at 10:01, Kintamayama said:

Today, the talk is that sources close to Tokitsukaze are still adamant that whatever the punishment may be, he intends to resign from the Kyokai. "Even if he does hand in a resignation, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be simply accepted," said Shibatayama PR man.

So, uh, what if they don't accept his resignation, but he still stops doing his job as shisho?  What are they going to do then?

Oh! This is one of those 'trees falling in forests' questions. Well, if he stops doing his job and nobody notices, he gets fired for incompetence. If he stops doing his job and everyone notices, he gets fired for failure to do his job. 

I get that they want/need to be seen as tough on people violating the Association's corona regulations, but it would seem odd to me if they didn't ultimately accept his resignation if one is coming from him. Or maybe I'm overestimating the administrative complexities of getting rid of an oyakata via dismissal (compared to how relatively straight-forward it is with a rikishi).

13 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I got the impression Abi's punishment was intended to push him towards resigning. If so, it didn't work, and he's accepted the punishment because he wants to continue as a rikishi.

If Tokitsukaze wants out, the Kyokai can't do much more than impose some penalty on his severance agreement.

I think it was the opposite. He submitted his resignation, but it was rejected by the Kyokai and he was given a suspension instead:

• Like 1

I think it's just more simply, you've been a massive idiot by flouting the rules and therefore on top of you taking responsibility by resigning, we're going to punish you first. Because once he's out of the NSK, they no longer have anything to do with him legally. 

Sports Hochi claims that its sources have Magaki (ex-Tosayutaka) as the favourite to succeed Tokitsukaze if/when he leaves, with Edagawa also in the running.

• Like 1

Just now, Asashosakari said:

Sports Hochi claims that its sources have Magaki (ex-Tosayutaka) as the favourite to succeed Tokitsukaze if/when he leaves, with Edagawa also in the running.

Didn't Toyonoshima originally have Magaki?

9 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

That doesn't quite tell the whole story (like anything does in ozumo). Abi was instructed to submit his resignation by his oyakata. The fact that Abi accepted his suspension tells me he wants to stay.

If Tokitsukaze doesn't want to stay, the Kyokai can't force him to.

If the NSK had accepted the retirement of Tokitsukaze, he would have received severance payment. They can fire him without any if they want to.

• Like 1

My feeling is not that Tokitsukaze is submitting a resignation to save face, but is resigning because he'd rather go play mahjongg and go to massage parlors than deal with the kyokai.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

If the NSK had accepted the retirement of Tokitsukaze, he would have received severance payment. They can fire him without any if they want to.

That's what I said yesterday.

On 30/01/2021 at 10:21, RabidJohn said:

Stands to reason really. I know I'm ignorant about many things Japanese, but the Kyokai having the power to impose forced labour on one of its shareholders seems unlikely. A financial sanction (significant as it may be) is all they have.

Tokitsukaze gathered all his deshi and apologized to them today, said Shoudai by phone. He also said that Magaki Oyakata (ex- Tosanoumi   Tosayutaka  ) is slated to take over the heya. "He explained to us what happened and apologized. His punishment hasn't been decided yet, right? It felt like he knew what is coming, so he decided to talk to us, I guess, " said Shoudai. The Oyakata gathered everyone in the big room and explained and apologized. He also said he was waiting for the Kyokai's decision. Today was keiko starting day, and Tokitsukaze did appear and oversaw Shoudai's fundamentals training. Magaki was there as well, in a mawashi. "The Oyakata's deeds during the basho are very regrettable, I think.. I think he should have waited to hear what the Kyokai had to say and gambarized.. He could have gone with their decision.." added Shoudai. People involved are explaining that Tokitsukaze is pretty sure the Kyokai will dismiss him, so he has started preparations for a smooth takeover, choosing his junior at Tokyo Agricultural as his successor.  "Whatever the final decision, us guys can only continue as it was. In any case, we shall wait for the results.. What a quandary.." summed Shoudai.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Tokitsukaze gathered all his deshi and apologized to them today, said Shoudai by phone. He also said that Magaki Oyakata (ex- Tosanoumi) is slated to take over the heya.

At the risk of sounding anal -- ex-Tosayutaka? Or is the stable going to Tatekawa-oyakata?

1 minute ago, Houmanumi said:

At the risk of sounding anal -- ex-Tosayutaka? Or is the stable going to Tatekawa-oyakata?

Yes, ex-Tosayutaka. Magaki. Sorry about that.. 協会退職の意向がある時津風親方に代わり、部屋付きの間垣親方(元前頭土佐豊)が時津風部屋を継承する方針であることが判明した。

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Yes, ex-Tosayutaka. Magaki. Sorry about that.. 協会退職の意向がある時津風親方に代わり、部屋付きの間垣親方(元前頭土佐豊)が時津風部屋を継承する方針であることが判明した。

I politely reject your unnecessary apology, and thank you for once again being the fount of wisdom.

6 minutes ago, Houmanumi said:

I politely reject your unnecessary apology, and thank you for once again being the fount of wisdom.

On the contrary, please point out any errors you see.. I need as many editors as possible, since my errors are getting more and more frequent..