Akinomaki

Tokitsukaze under house arrest

Recommended Posts

Next suspension: Tokitsukaze-oyakata has to go into house arrest for some untold violation of the Corona guidelines (something like eating out where he shouldn't with people he shouldn't be with) - he admitted. The next rijikai will decide upon his fate.

Edagawa is acting shisho now.

Shodai and Yutakayama are coached by Izutsu.

http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2020/09/11/0013686106.shtml

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that's Shodai and Yutakayama that're coached by Izutsu, not Hoshoryu. Hoshoryu is of Tatsunami-beya.

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Tokitsukaze-oyakata has to go into house arrest for some untold violation of the Corona guidelines

He went to another prefecture after the rules were tightened again on the 31st, and going out unnecessarily was banned http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2020/09/11/0013686388.shtml

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"He kind of set his own guidelines, i think. After the last basho he was out and about. Movies? It's OK.. A little golf? OK.. Dinner with a friend? Fine. Those are obviously all violations of the anti-Corona guidelines.." said an unknown member of the judging department. "We don't have to specifically say 'you can't go out'. He's a stable-master in charge of many rikishi and he has to be the first to totally enforce the rules. That someone in this position acted the way he did, well, this is what happens.." added Shibatayama PR man. Tokitsukaze will be kyujo from Aki basho.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

He went to another prefecture after the rules were tightened again on the 31st, and going out unnecessarily was banned http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2020/09/11/0013686388.shtml

Related sources revealed that Tokitsukaze went to Fukuoka pref. and there was at a party with related people o and played golf o  - Matsugane also was at another prefecture o

The rules allow to go out for scouting purpose and demand to ask the NSK, but only if the safety of a trip is in doubt - heya members have to ask the shisho for permission. Being the shisho himself, Tokitsukaze likely thought there was enough gray zone to allow him what he did.

We'll see what penalty they'll come up with for the 2 oyakata. Both under house arrest and forced kyujo indicates that it will be quite more severe than for Tagonoura.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tokitsukaze and Matsugane have received their punishments for going out during the virus limitations. Tokitsukaze gets a demotion from iin to toshiyori, Matsugane gets a reprimand. Tokitsukaze travelled to Mie prefecture on September 4th, went out for a meal with people, and stayed at a hotel. He then played golf the next day. He then went to his home town Itsushima and stayed their till the 8th. He was disciplined in the past twice between 2010 and 2011, being demoted from shunin to toshiyori. This time, he left the heya's coaches in charge of training . "As a toshiyori , he should have thought of a worst case scenario, but he didn't even give it a tiny thought, "said Hakkaku rijicho.  Regarding Matsugane: "He thought that if he met  his family somewhere nearby there would be no problem, but he was being selfish and didn't think this through," said the rijicho. He had gone out for "nonessential business" at least 4 times between September 5th and 10th. "Even as a warning to others, a reprimand is necessary," it was said. 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tokitsukaze Oyakata violated the Kyokai rules yet again and was caught playing mahjong at a mahjong parlor. The rijikai will convene in a few days and decide what to do with him. There is talk of a dismissal possibility. "I don't see how he can avoid being fired.." sad one oyakata., He went there a few times during the basho. Not only mahjong, but also to a red light district.  People in the know are saying he often frequented mahjong parlors, even before the basho. The heya had an excellent basho, led by Shoudai and bow-twirling Shouhouryuu who is getting closer to Juryo. 12 of the 15 rikishi got a kachikoshi. The Kyokai bigwigs are very angry, as this comes on the heels of an exciting basho that made some good waves. 

 

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe he just wants to see if it possible to get demoted lower than Takanohana? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Benevolance said:

Maybe he just wants to see if it possible to get demoted lower than Takanohana? 

I would want more than that. It's like Kumagatani/Miyagino again. You've got an absolutely inept stablemaster and a better, more responsible one who ultimately and unfortunately doesn't call the shots. Toyonoshima (Izutsu) should get the Tokitsukaze-kabu, and Edagawa can rot with the temporary kabu, if he is not already about to be kicked out. A bad thing, yes, but very wonderfully serendipitous for both Toyonoshima and Kakuryu, whom I believe will be  retiring soon and would want Izutsu. See, good things happen to good people... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Kakuryu could be made interested in running the ichimon's namesake stable. (Laughing...)


(In all seriousness, I wouldn't bet on Toyonoshima being the successor if ex-Tokitsuumi gets dismissed.)

Edited by Asashosakari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

I wonder if Kakuryu could be made interested in running the ichimon's namesake stable. (Laughing...)


(In all seriousness, I wouldn't bet on Toyonoshima being the successor if ex-Tokitsuumi gets dismissed.)

At this point it would be very hard to re-establish Izutsu, but if Kakuryu could somehow get this I'm sure it would be an offer he couldn't refuse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

I wonder if Kakuryu could be made interested in running the ichimon's namesake stable. (Laughing...)


(In all seriousness, I wouldn't bet on Toyonoshima being the successor if ex-Tokitsuumi gets dismissed.)

Do you mean you would bet on him? i.e. You wouldn't bet against him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Do you mean you would bet on him? i.e. You wouldn't bet against him.

Both parts of my post were sort-of responding to the comment above mine which seemed to treat Toyonoshima as the only feasible option. I think it's simply going to be Aogiyama, if anybody. Rushing barely retired Toyonoshima into running a stable when more experienced in-house alternatives exist strikes me as a somewhat questionable idea. And then there's the whole ordeal around him securing a kabu in the first place, which would seem to indicate that he wasn't exactly that high atop the ichimon's list of "must keep employed" rikishi. Sudden top choice to lead the namesake heya?

(Leaving aside that I don't really see Tokitsuumi getting dismissed from the NSK over this to begin with. Forced to hand over the stable for lack of fitness as a shisho, maybe, though.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

 

(Leaving aside that I don't really see Tokitsuumi getting dismissed from the NSK over this to begin with. Forced to hand over the stable for lack of fitness as a shisho, maybe, though.)

That's probably what's going to happen. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tokitsukaze was interviewed this evening.

Q: Did you go to a mahjong parlor during last basho?

A: I went to deliver a ticket. Where did you get that information from?

Q: So you went to a mahjong parlor and didn't play?

A:  No, I didn't play at all..

Q: So, if you didn't play, shouldn't you be telling that to the Kyokai?

A: I did tell them that. I was asked by them yesterday, and answered them..

Q: There is also a report that you were seen in a sex establishment during the basho..

A: No, I didn't go there. I went for a massage..

Shibatayama: "I heard there will be an investigation. We have to check if he complied with our virus guidelines, to what extent did he violate the guidelines if at all, etc..etc.."  How they deal with this  will show if the Kyokai's virus countermeasures are seriously applied and if they are actually capable of controlling things, says the reporter.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Papers are now saying Tokitsukaze has decided to retire, has prepared his resignation papers, and intends to hand them in tomorrow. If that happens, it's the second straight Tokitsukaze to leave sumo in shame, after the former spent six years in jail for his actions resulting in the death of his deshi Tokitaizan back in 2007.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Papers are now saying Tokitsukaze has decided to retire, has prepared his resignation papers, and intends to hand them in tomorrow. If that happens, it's the second straight Tokitsukaze to leave sumo in shame, after the former spent six years in jail for his actions resulting in the death of his deshi Tokitaizan back in 2007.

Brace yourself for a "special guest" spot on Takatoriki's YouTube channel...

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know, I feel like his statement is a little fishy. Why risk your career to deliver mail, especially when you've already been warned once and when all other heya send tickets online or by mail? And if you were to choose a place to meet, why the mahjong parlour? And besides, if you were there to just send the letter, why stop at the kombini ATM? Perhaps he isn't aware of the pictures people took of him (which I shan't post here). Initially, I was pretty incensed because the Tokitsukaze heya, name and deshi (i.e. Shodai, etc.) deserve a better teacher and leader. But now, I feel a little sad too - another rikishi falls prey to vices like gambling and ruins their careers and reputation - unfortunately not an uncommon occurrence (at least to me). 

Edited by pricklypomegranate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, pricklypomegranate said:

I don't know, I feel like his statement is a little fishy. Why risk your career to deliver mail, especially when you've already been warned once and when all other heya send tickets online or by mail? And if you were to choose a place to meet, why the mahjong parlour? And besides, if you were there to just send the letter, why stop at the kombini ATM? Perhaps he isn't aware of the pictures people took of him (which I shan't post here). Initially, I was pretty incensed because the Tokitsukaze heya, name and deshi (i.e. Shodai, etc.) deserve a better teacher and leader. But now, I feel a little sad too - another rikishi falls prey to vices like gambling and ruins their careers and reputation - unfortunately not an uncommon occurrence (at least to me). 

I can't claim to know Tokitsukaze, maybe he's a decent guy ... cough, cough.  Aside from the trouble he got into last September and now this, it should be pointed out that he used to be IIRC a member sympathiser of the infamous Takanohana Ichimon.  The members of (and people who supported) that rebel group seem to be getting weeded out one by one...

Edited by Amamaniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

I can't claim to know Tokitsukaze, maybe he's a decent guy ... cough, cough.  Aside from the trouble he got into last September and now this, it should be pointed out that he used to be IMS a member of the infamous Takanohana Ichimon.  The members of that rebel group are being weeded out one by one...

Do you mean Tatsunami? I don't think Tokitsukaze ever left it's own ichimon, but Tatsunami did.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Do you mean Tatsunami? I don't think Tokitsukaze ever left it's own ichimon, but Tatsunami did.

Given that soon-to-be-former Tokitsukaze oyakata appeared in the cross-dressing calendar with Takanohana and the others, I guess I assumed he was in their camp.  But you are right in pointing that out, since Tokitsukaze has always been its own Ichimon.

Edited by Amamaniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tokitsukaze's punishment decision has been postponed. "Kyokai members, the fans, families of Kyokai members - everyone did their best to abide by the Corona virus guidelines, and that's how we got through Hatsu basho safely. There is one person only who did not abide. I will be hearing the full details about what happened from him soon," said Hakkaku rijicho. So I guess no retirement letter, no punishment.. We'll have to wait and see when the Kyokai will decide to deal with this and how.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to recall Edagawa/Aoigiyama being in the frame to take over in the wake of the 2007 scandal, but whether he was passed over for the shisho position or turned it down wasn't clear. He would be s more logical choice than the more inexperienced Toyonoshima for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

I seem to recall Edagawa/Aoigiyama being in the frame to take over in the wake of the 2007 scandal, but whether he was passed over for the shisho position or turned it down wasn't clear. He would be s more logical choice than the more inexperienced Toyonoshima for me. 

He was indeed subject of discussions back then.

IIRC, it was learned that the Tokitsukaze share was still controlled by ex- Yutakayama (Katsuo), who - as a graduate from Tokyo University of Agriculture - favored Tokitsuumi (also a grad from aforementioned university).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is he literally under house arrest?  I mean by the authorities? Or is he just under diktat from the Kyokai? 'Cause he was under that kind of house arrest already.  Maybe it really is double secret probation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now