mt fuji

Videos (all days) - Aki 2020

To answer the inevitable questions up front: it's Toki (Sendagawa Oyakata) and Takanotsuru (Tagonoura Oyakata, Takayasu's boss).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

To answer the inevitable questions up front: it's Toki (Sendagawa Oyakata) and Takanotsuru (Tagonoura Oyakata, Takayasu's boss).

Guess what.. YouTube removed the thumbnail of Toki and Takanotsuru  because it was "against the policy of the site", meaning their bot thought it was naked women. I had to replace it with a picture of the handsomest man on earth. I'm still laughing.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

I am not so sure about Shishi. Keep in mind that he is almost 24 already and facing mostly weak and/or teenage opposition at these ranks. I can't say that he looks particularly good and his grip is rather awkward (looks very uncomfortable on the elbows). To me Ofukusawa, beaten twice by older and much heavier Shishi, is more interesting as a prospect over the long run. One thing I do like about Shishi compared to recent big foreigners Homarenishiki and Torakio is that he doesn't stand pretty much upright when he competes.

Agree on Hokuseiho's potential, though having watched him vs top amateur opposition I know there are some flaws there that won't really be shown this low down. Still, for a newcomer he has been beating a good mix of opponents (collegiate rikishi, good high schoolers, big foreigners) and will do well. He puts his strength and anomalous size to use in a way that will make him tough to beat for most.

^ Oh, and nice susoharai by Kitanowaka! 

Edited by Katooshu

I'd have taken that thumbnail ^ to be a photo from the early seventies, but no. 3 from the left looks an awful lot like Aminishiki and I know he doesn't go back that far. Can we have a cast list, plz?

6 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

I'd have taken that thumbnail ^ to be a photo from the early seventies, but no. 3 from the left looks an awful lot like Aminishiki and I know he doesn't go back that far. Can we have a cast list, plz?

It's the same list as above, with mocked up Hayateumi(?) and Aminishiki in between.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Given the hairline and face, a veeery young Aminishiki :-)

Thanks for your great work as usual yokozuna Kinta, and thank you as well to our new video star mt fuji! The lower divisions digest has been an awesome addition (Punkrocker...)

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Katooshu said:The lower divisions digest has been an awesome addition (Punkrocker...)

I second this popular opinion. Thank you for the addition. Also, thank you for the daily digests Kintamayama. Honestly, I only started watching sumo because I randomly found your videos on YouTube a few years ago.

• Like 3

On 14/09/2020 at 14:16, Akinomaki said:
On 13/09/2020 at 17:17, Kintamayama said:

Found a cool channel-full bouts including Makushita!!

That channel is the one this basho to stream NHK live, BS included. Usually the videos are deleted after a few days and the channel has to stop around day 13 of the basho. Last time another channel filled in with one extra day, we'll see how it turns out this time - it is going on like that the whole year. Natto sumo taken down at once doesn't bode well for this channel to last till the 2nd week though.

This time the channel managed to stream till day 14, by later on deleting/making private all videos after a bit over a day, now the channel is empty. Unfortunately, about half of the close to 5h streams were removed before they became downloadable in full.

It now takes several hours, up to nearly 2 days before the downloaders can detect the links, till then only the last 2 hours are saved - a new block by YT: also so far on YT at first just the last 2h were shown, but when the full video became viewable after some hours, it was downloadable in full, if the downloader managed to get anything.

This time's secondary channel, that had streamed BS parallel but slightly shortened the last 2 days, is doing it delayed now on the last day, though for that NHK apparently is most eager to stop them, and that channel has the videos still available.

Same pattern as every basho, but results got better for us users: NHK streams of the whole BS broadcast also on weekends and even till day 14. Now if someone would just stream the secondary audio from BS, the pure hall sound ...

Edited by Akinomaki

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

This time the channel managed to stream till day 14, by later on deleting/making private all videos after a bit over a day, now the channel is empty.

This time's secondary channel, that had streamed BS parallel but slightly shortened the last 2 days, is doing it delayed now on the last day, though for that NHK apparently is most eager to stop them, and that channel has the videos still available.

Interesting technique this basho, the shortly empty channel now has the stream from today - apparently the owner simply switches videos to private and not removes them, and the stream was switched back into the open again later.

The secondary channel is still streaming day 15 at the moment.

Edited by Akinomaki

I don't know that I'll have the free time to do Juryo and lower divisions next basho. Since you can find Juryo on other channels, I might just stick to lower divisions. Thanks everyone for watching, feels weird to mentioned in the same breath as the GOAT Kintamayama

• Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, mt fuji said:

I don't know that I'll have the free time to do Juryo and lower divisions next basho. Since you can find Juryo on other channels, I might just stick to lower divisions. Thanks everyone for watching, feels weird to mentioned in the same breath as the GOAT Kintamayama

You did well- I think I speak on behalf of all Forum members in saying please try to continue- I know this is time-consuming, but the satisfaction is worth it, no? If you have to choose one of them, please choose the lower divisions-it's invaluable.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mt fuji said:

I am embarrassed to say it, but I laugh every time at the Hakkaku announcement shtick.  Keep it up!

The Jonokuni matchups are especially fascinating for their occasional display of uninspired sumo.  For example, Day 15 Kotokino vs Kenho: they look like they're trying to steal each other's wallet!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mt fuji said:

I really appreciated the lower division highlights. You really went above and beyond when you asked for recommendations on who to follow. So, thanks again. 

• Like 1