Hidenotora

Buying and selling of myoseki still prohibited?

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else. There's a thread from when the NSK became a "public interest corporation" in the wake of the yaocho scandal in 2011 and some posts since, but I can't find anything concrete on this issue.

As above, in the wake of the yaocho scandal in 2011, the NSK became a "public interest corporation" and prohibited the buying and selling of elder stock, with the kyokai deciding who the next holder would be, based on the recommendation of the retiring oyakata.

Is this still the case today? Has there ever been any friction between a retiring oyakata and the NSK in terms of who would inherit a kabu? And how does this work for borrowed kabu? I understand this practice still occurs, but does everything have to go through the kyokai now? Including borrowing and guys swapping kabu?

Any info or input would be appreciated, and if this has been answered definitively somewhere else, I apologise and please direct me to that thread.
Thanks!

Given that Toyonoshima ran into financial trouble paying 'installments' on his elder stock when he dropped to Makushita......

On 11/09/2020 at 20:52, Ryoshishokunin said:

Given that Toyonoshima ran into financial trouble paying 'installments' on his elder stock when he dropped to Makushita......

So does that mean no? When did that change happen then if that's the case?

Sorry, kind of an esoteric question and I guess not many people really know but this is one thing where you read one thing in one place, and something else in another. Was hoping one of you could answer it definitively!

1 hour ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

The answer is almost certainly "yes, and also, no" in the Japanese way.   

Which means, it is still forbidden by the statute of the organization: to buy/sell in one sum that is. Allowed is to pay in installments, not for the myoseki direct, but as a kind of consultant fee. In effect it is stretched out buying and selling, and apparently nobody checks the sums.

It was that way from the start of the new rules, but by now everybody learned that the governing body, which should check the compliance with the public interest status, lets them get away with it, and they do it more confident and slightly in the open.

• Like 5

Ah, of course, the classic consultant fee move!

Thanks for clearing it up guys. I asked because I sort of had the impression based on things I'd read in passing that the practice continued, but at the same time all "official" rules and info I'd read said it was still banned.

Thank you both!