Kintamayama

Favorite TV Series

OK, I'm delving into murky territory here.. I don't remember if we ever did this, but favorite TV shows (NOT CINEMA!!)? I am a TV junkie, i watch around 50 shows regularly- (not all at once of course, they each have their seasons.) When i say junkie, I mean it. I have no life between them and sumo (and the occasional gig) and that has been like that way before Mmmmmy Corona. I like them American, British, Spanish - drama, comedy (I prefer) - whatever. The point of this thread is maybe I've missed something good.. I won't go into the long list, but my favorite by far is Curb (US) and "Luther" (when it's on..) , UK. .

• Like 1

I love TV Series as well - rarely watch movies anymore.

The Character development you can achieve in a TV Series is so much better than in a movie, cramming everything in 2h is often not possible.
That's why I think stories are told so much better in TV Shows, the pacing really matters in my eyes.

I personally have quite a few favorite TV Series:

Even though it is well before my time Blackadder is a fantastic show (Rowan Atkinson is superb!)
I also really like The Young Pope, The Crown, 11.22.63, Chernobyl, Show Me A Hero, House of Cards (at least the first 2 seasons were extraordinary TV), The Boys,
Fargo (Season 1), Parks & Rec (my 2nd favorite Comedy-show), those are probably my favorite.

• Thanks 1

All of my favorites except the crown, which I shall check out. As for Blackadder, together with Fawlty, are historically my favorites. I meant current shows.. 

• Like 1

As for current premium channel offerings, it’s The Crown for us. As for network television, Gaijingal’s favorite wavers between Bull and NCIS. Mine is Blue Bloods. 

• Thanks 1

As you asked for current shows, I'll try not to go too far back and not repeat those already mentioned. Not especially my favorites but I watch them with pleasure when they're on (if they're not finished). In random order : Devs (for this one, try not to read any spoilers, not even the pitch. Watch it with a "virgin mind". At least that's how I watched it and that made the experience better), Ray Donovan, Westworld, The Spy (with Sasha Baron Cohen), Billions, Le bureau des légendes (French, I don't know if you can find it with subtitles), The Americans, Banshee, Sons of Anarchy, Mayans, Black Sails, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Castle Rock, Future Man,  Halt and Catch fire, Homeland, Legion, Masters of sex, Preacher, Spartacus, The Knick, American Gods, True detective, Veep....

I'm sure I forgot many.

Edited by Athenayama
  • Like 2

We don't watch a lot of TV, but recently we've watched and enjoyed W1A, The Crown, The Good Place and Shtisel.

I rarely watch movies as well. I like TV shows because you can really invest in the characters.

Some of my favorite current TV shows are Ozark, Gomorrah, Vikings, and Mayans. 

35 minutes ago, Sakura said:

We don't watch a lot of TV, but recently we've watched and enjoyed W1A, The Crown, The Good Place and Shtisel.

Shtisel is ours..

I just rebinged DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. Right at the moment i'm watching TNG S04E15.

Syndicated: There are SO MANY shows i closely followed, i'd type 'til tomorrow. But always rebingeworthy are shows like see above, Boston Legal, The Newsroom, Castle, The Mentalist, Sherlock (Sniddleditch version), Elementary, MASH, BSG, Ghost in the Shell and so on.

Still on air: NCIS, NCIS:NOLA, THE MANDALORIAN (OMG, OMG, OMG THE CHILD IS SOOOOO CUTE (even cuter than a napping Chiyomaru)), Rick & Morty, Simpsons, American Dad, The Rookie, Top Gear, The Grand Tour, The Walking Dead (up to S07, then i got frustrated), Brooklyn 99, Young Sheldon, Jack Ryan, Discovery, The Orville, Lucifer, Z Nation, Westworld, Sword Art Online, Final Space, Lost in Space, Picard, Kintamayama's Sumo digest, yadda, yadda, yadda...

To my own surprise, there is NO domestic TV show i follow at the moment. There were some shows in the past, but i never was like "can't wait for the next episode". Even the newer ones with some international success like Deutschland 83/86 or DARK...i couldn't care less.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 1

The ones i watch at present, though most of them are off at the moment dealing with a virus.. I stand behind every single one of them.. the ones with asterisks are a must if you never heard of them. I follow everything with a nice app/site called next episode- Excellent and free.

On currently or soon (how many days till the next episode? In parentheses..):

Semi-Detached- season 1 episode 6 in (6) days
Family Guy - season 19 starts in (23) days
Fargo - season 4 starts in (23) days
The Blacklist - Season 8 starts in (70) days

Hiatus:

A.P. Bio
After Life
Avenue 5
Back (UK)
Baghdad Central
Baptiste
Barry
Big Fat Quiz of the Year
Billions*
Black Mirror*
Black Monday
Bodyguard*
Brassic*
Breeders
Brooklyn Nine-Nine*
Code 404
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee*
Condor
Curb Your Enthusiasm***
Dave
Dead to Me
Deep State
Defending the Guilty
Derry Girls
El vecino
Endeavour*
Fresh Eggs
Friday Night Dinner**
Gangs of London
Get Shorty*
Ghosts
Giri/Haji*
Goliath
Guilt (2019)
Hitmen
Inside No. 9**
Intelligence (2020)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia***
Killing Eve**
La Casa de Papel
Line Of Duty**
Luther***
Mandy
Miss Scarlet and the Duke
My Brilliant Friend***
Narcos: Mexico***
No Activity (US)
Not Going Out
Ozark
Peaky Blinders***
Perpetual Grace, LTD
Perry Mason (2020)**
Robbie
Sex Education
Shameless*
South Park
Space Force
Squeamish About...
Stath Lets Flats*
Succession**
The Capture
The First Team
The Kominsky Method*
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel*
The Morning Show
The Rise Of The Murdoch Dynasty
The Split
The Windsors
This Time With Alan Partridge
This Way Up
Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan
Upstart Crow**
Urban Myths
Van Der Valk
What We Do in the Shadows
Would I Lie To You?
Year of the Rabbit

Edited by Kintamayama

I agree, The Crown is definitely worth watching.

I am currently binge watching Veep - up to series 4 now.

If you like Blackadder (and Would I lie to You), definitely check out Upstart Crow (I see it is on your list) -  basically Blackadder II, but about Shakespeare.

Peep Show does not appear to be on your list (too old?), likewise The Inbetweeners and Father Ted.

More recent stuff, Ghosts (as above) and Good Omens.

Edited by Jejima

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Shtisel is ours..

I admit that recommendation was less for your benefit than others. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jejima said:

I agree, The Crown is definitely worth watching.

I am currently binge watching Veep - up to series 4 now.

If you like Blackadder (and Would I lie to You), definitely check out Upstart Crow -  basically Blackadder II, but about Shakespeare.

Peep Show does not appear to be on your list (too old?), likewise The Inbetweeners and Father Ted.

More recent stuff, Ghosts and Good Omens.

"Upstart Crow" is of course on my list (two asterisks..) -my current top British comedy. I watched "Veep" in real time-  a souped up "Thick of It" -same Ianucci. My list consists of current running shows only-of course "Peep" was one of my favorites while it was alive. We have "Back" now with the David and Robert to keep the vibe rolling. "Inbetweeners" was watched keenly- we now have "The First Team"-same writers. "Ghosts" is on the list- "Good Omens" was sadly  discontinued, or at least no talk of a season two.. "Father Ted"-did not click with me. But neither did "Breaking Bad", so..

Edited by Kintamayama

6 minutes ago, Jejima said:

Oh, and Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness is a must see documentary in 8 episodes. 

And QI should be added to the list of good, intelligent UK TV that is also funny.

I watched QI for many years but stopped after Fry left. 

Edited by Kintamayama

38 minutes ago, Sakura said:

I admit that recommendation was less for your benefit than others. 

I was just boasting.. We've had quite a few blockbusters lately with "Fauda", "Homeland" (based on "Hostages") and others.

Edited by Kintamayama

2 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I watched QI for many years but stopped after Fry left. 

I suggest trying it again. Toksvig might not be Fry, but she is more than capable, and the show is pretty much the same as before.

Maybe try the current series first (it is Toksvig's fifth series, so she has got the hang of it by now.)

53 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Good Omens" was sadly  discontinued, or at least no talk of a season two..

The book was fantastic, I don't know if the series covers all of it but if not it's worth seeking. I'd already read a lot of Terry Pratchett by the time I read it, and it got me into Neil Gaiman as well. But I digress... 

The A team,Dr who  and  Red drawf.

In the last  few years  I have  had the priveledge of meeting  most of the crew of  Red Dwarf( all but Craig  charles--Lister)

Not only is lt a great show with  great actors, they are all  nice guys aswell..

I watch Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and The Russell Howard Hour, both are news satire.

Both shows are posted on their youtube channel. And new season of Russell Howard Hour starts next thursday

• Like 1

I was going to recommend the Czech TV comedy series Comeback but I wasn't able to find any English subtitles for it :-(

Nevertheless, I could offer another recommendation. There is an animated silent slapstick TV series Pat & Mat (alternative name A je to = And done). Youtube is full of it and no subtitles are necessary. The episodes are short and originally meant for kids but it follows some basic slapstick rules that are universal and, as a result, adults tend to find the series quite entertaining.

I have to make an addition to my earlier entry because I just started watching it. 

Cobra Kai. What a superb nostalgia trip! 

Penny Dreadful I finally watched this summer. (I'm a bit of behind on everything.) The sequel will be probably be quite meh, but I'll give it a chance. The Alienist awaits as well with its second season.
Taboo, of course. If only the second season were to be released this century. Yes, Victorian era (or thereabouts) and non-mundane themes work for me. Eva Green I would watch reading telephone catalogue.
Amazon's Tolkien series… How could anyone pull this one off? Logic says it will be a failure of intergalactic proportions.

And the Finnish ones… Eh, not worth mentioning to international audience.

Edited by Kotoroiwa
Grammar.

Bob's Burgers is one of the few shows we watch religiously. The first episode's a little rough but it's a great show. The whole series is on Hulu in America, for those with VPNs...

Samurai Gourmet is another one we liked a lot that I haven't seen mentioned here. It's on Netflix here in the States. It's a short series but high-quality.

Edited by Churaumi
My wife didn't catch it either