• Asanoyama kadoban
    • Takakeisho KK
    • Takakeisho kadoban
    • Shodai promoted to Ozeki
    • Shodai stays Sekiwake/gets demoted
    • Mitakeumi promoted to Ozeki
    • Mitakeumi stays Sekiwake/gets demoted
  3. 3. Guess the colour of the giant macaron

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/20 at 12:00

Disclaimer/introduction for new players

The Wall:

If a sumotori gets his first makekoshi (MK = losing record) in that respective division, it's called "hitting the wall" (KK = winning record, means missing the wall, which is a good thing). For makuuchi this basho it's Kotoshoho and Hoshoryu. For Hoshoryu it's his first try in makuuchi. In juryo we have 2 guys to fight the wall, Oki and Nikishifuji. Hoshoryu is the nephew of legendary Asashoryu. His record so far is quite impressive, he managed to reach makuuchi within 14 basho, with only 2 MK (a 3-4 at Ms2 and 7-8 at J13). Regarding height and weight, he reminds me of a man called horse.

Promotion/demotion/kadoban:

Asanoyama had a superb Ozeki debut last basho. Without ex-Ozeki Terunofuji he probably would have been the 9th in recorded history (6th in the 15 bouts era) to win a basho on his Ozeki debut. If he manages to win this basho in a very convincing manner, it could mean Promotion to Yokozuna. 

Takakeisho was kadoban last basho and dropped out due to an injury as soon as he got his KK. Did he overcome his health problems?

Both Shodai and Mitakeumi have a chance of promotion to Ozeki. We've seen weirder things happen in the last months.

Guess the colour of the giant macaron:

One of the prices for the yusho winner is a giant fake macaron (as placeholder for a load of real, normal sized macarons from one of the best Pâtisseries in Paris). The colour varies and it has become a popular game to guess it.

I have a feeling that Takakeisho won’t have a good result... But I hope his injury is healed enough to participate at his real level, the level we haven’t seen for quite a long time.

I think the quick turnaround for this basho will cause the newly promoted to hit the wall. Asanoyama will do fine, might even win, but won't get promoted. Takakeisho will be kadoban again, he's put on too much weight and rikishi usually do poorly after big announcements. Bonus guess is by day 15 we won have yokozuna on the dohyo. Shocker, I know. Blue macaroon because why not?

Question - Shouldn't percentages for the options for a given rikishi sum to 100%? (e.g. - Asanooyama's three options) They seem to be summing to 25%, but maybe I'm missing something...

9 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Question - Shouldn't percentages for the options for a given rikishi sum to 100%?

They should, if the options were properly separated that way.

Percentages, shmercentages. This is a sumo poll, not science ^^

On 31/08/2020 at 11:10, Benihana said:

Asanoyama had a superb Ozeki debut last basho. Without ex-Ozeki Terunofuji he probably would have been the 9th in recorded history (6th in the 15 bouts era) to win a basho on his Ozeki debut. If he manages to win this basho in a very convincing manner, it could mean Promotion to Yokozuna. 

Yeah, I guess... I would prefer that they didn't promote him even with a zensho yusho. They could have promoted Musashimaru in 1994 after 12-3J / 15-0Y but they didn't. And they could have promoted Takanohana in 1993 after 14-1Y / 13-2D but they didn't. Both were in their third basho as ozeki, Asanoyama will be in his second. Asanoyama hasn't proved his mettle as an ozeki yet so I hope that they wait, regardless of the outcome this basho.

5 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

What color was the macaroon this time?

Green :)

• Thanks 1

At least I got my bonus projection right, but it's more likely than not for the yokozuna to be kyujo. Might as well try to claim credit for guessing the color of the sky.

Edited by Churaumi
Anyone else's sky ever turn green?
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I have to admit to not understanding this.

Well, I thought if someone had the best chance for a remotely green sky, they would be living in your part of the world. (Beingthrowntomatoesat...)

7 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I have to admit to not understanding this.

The sky here turns green sometimes before a tornado. It ranges from a slight tinge to a bright emerald green. Something to do with a change in the way airborne droplets of water refract light or something scientific like that. Back in the '90s it was our first clue to go underground, but the weather service has better technology now. Still, when new residents see it for the first time, it's a shock. 

It probably happens everywhere there's tornadoes, but they don't call this area Tornado Alley for nothing.

Edited by Churaumi

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Well, I thought if someone had the best chance for a remotely green sky, they would be living in your part of the world. (Beingthrowntomatoesat...)

Oh, ha. You meant literally. I thought I was missing some metaphor. Tbh, these days in Shanghai it’s not too bad. They’ve relocated all the pollution to the poorer cities further west.

Thanks for the macaron update. I left for a business travel 3 hours after the basho ended and will return home friday in 2 weeks. I'll try to find some time to do the math, but for now...Benihana is tired, Benihana needs some sleep.

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

Benihana is tired, Benihana needs some sleep.

• Haha 1

I remember the sky turning green one overcast autumn day in 1979 here in North Lincolnshire. Made all the fluorescent lights shining from the windows of the college look pink. Don't know what caused it, as there was no storm. It had just been a typically grey day before it turned green.

Once before an April storm in southern India where I was fishing, the sky went a very strange yellowish green.

For missing Tobizaru in the wall poll, i already tried to commit ritual seppuku. Sadly for you my tanto was a bit dull and i couldn't cut through all the muscles and spermatic cords, so here are the results:

@MumboJumbo takes the yusho in the last second by guessing the correct colour of the macaron.

Jun-yusho for @pmac and @WAKATAKE.

Gino-sho (technique) for @Terarno. He was the only one to vote for Shodai's promotion.

Very exciting race for the yusho, see you in november!

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A green sky would be a nice change of pace. Here the sky has taken a smokey orange occasionally due to wild fires. I will continue to gambarize for next basho, perhaps my spirit will help end the orange skies.

• Thanks 1