Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Rikishi talk - Banzuke release

Posted (edited)

New Makuuchi Tobizaru, Hidenoumi's brother, shikona means Flying Minkey, 131 kilos, 1.75 meters: "I will show fun sumo. I'll have fun with my opponent , and hope to do speedy and tricky sumo! I've finally arrived at the starting point of being a rikishi (3 years in Juryo..). I hope my brother  will make it back to Makuuchi soon (now the 11th brother pair to have made it to Makuuchi) and that I'll be able to persevere here so we can both battle in Makuuchi!" he said. He is relatively small in stature. "Well after Enhou (1.69 meters, 92 kilos) has been doing so well in Makuuchi, being small is no longer an excuse for losing.. He is not my rival, but I really don't want to lose to him."

sum20083113040006-p1.jpg

Daieishou, new Sekiwake : "Lately, that has been my target.  I'm thrilled to be able to get promoted. " He is the first Saitama boy to make it to Sekiwake in 57 years, since Wakachichibu, beating Hokutofuji to it. "I heard about that and I am deeply honored. I'm happy I beat him to it.. Ozeki? As long as i am active, I want to gambarize and go higher. I'll be going at it showing my burning desire!!"

Terunofuji, ranked Maegashira 1: "I  was promoted higher than I expected, so now that I'm here, I feel the responsibility and must gambarize! I started training immediately after the basho was over, as ex-Aminishiki told me that the minute a basho is over, the next one begins.. I've been conscious of that these last 1-2 years and have acted accordingly. Only injured people can understand this, but  if you rest for 2-3 days, the pain usually gets worse.  So in order not to rest too much, I immediately start training for the next basho. I don't celebrate much. I'm happiest when I train with weights.. I will be facing the joi this basho, but I don't really mind who my opponents are. All I can do is believe in my abilities and hit hard. My aim for next basho is for a kachikoshi, then double-digit wins and hopefully to do even better than that.. I am not conscious of returning to Sanyaku or going higher- I'll just concentrate and take it day by day. If the results will follow, excellent.. I was happy with the yusho, as I was able to somewhat repay the people who supported me during my dark times. I need to gambarize next basho as well.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Terunofuji, ranked Maegashira 1: "I  was promoted higher than I expected, so now that I'm here, I feel the responsibility and must gambarize!"

Good to know that even Terunofuji was likely expecting M2 after Tokushoryu's example earlier this year. 

45 minutes ago, Jejima said:

Flying Minkey?

You need to watch some Pink Panther movies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

You need to watch some Pink Panther movies.

Thank you, sir. I was hoping maybe..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Haha 6

Houshouryuu, Asashouryuu's nephew, makes Makuuchi in 14 bashos, three bashos slower than his uncle."When I went makekoshi in my Juryo debut, I knew I wouldn't make Makuuchi as fast as my uncle. Still, it was pretty quick.. I want to get double digit wins and a sansho in my Makuuchi debut. My uncle managed only 9 wins? I did not know that.. I will do my best not to lose by being  slower than my opponent. I grew up watching my uncle's bouts on TV. His bouts were exciting to watch- he would suddenly light up and become full of energy. I want to be like him. I am extremely afraid of him. I want to be praised by someone like him.." Asashouryuu himself congratulated him through his shisho. "He is constantly in his uncle's shadow so I guess he really wanted to be promoted as quickly as possible.." added his oyakata Tatsunami.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5