Sign in to follow this  
Jakusotsu

Speculations about the new Takasago (split from Preparations of the Y/O- Aki 2020)

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

His Oyakata Takasago will turn 65 in December and will retire from the Kyokai.

Which made me search for any information regarding his successor, but I came up blank.

Edited by Jakusotsu
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Which made me search for any information regarding his successor, but I came up blank.

Wakamatsu (ex-Asanowaka) perhaps? He seems to be a good candidate, no?

19 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Found something:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I would have thought that Wakamatsu would be the obvious choice. He is senior to Nishikijima in both age and elder status. From a technical and stylistic perspective, I would of course rather see the former Asasekiryu get the job.

3 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

I would have thought that Wakamatsu would be the obvious choice. He is senior to Nishikijima in both age and elder status. From a technical and stylistic perspective, I would of course rather see the former Asasekiryu get the job.

This interests me, and I expect the answer is obvious; but is it now 'meaningless' the fact that Nishikijima is a former Sekiwake while Wakamatsu never made sanyaku?

Also who makes this call? Is it Takasago himself?

I liked watching Asanowaka when he was active. I would expect that he will probably take over the heya because he's been an oyakata longer, senior to Nishikijima as mentioned.

The final call will be down to the senior Takasago himself. For those who remember, the first Azumazeki aka Takamiyama chose Ushiomaru to take over the heya over Takamisakari, even though Robocop had reached sanyaku and was a lot more popular with the fans. But that would have meant a premature retirement for Takamisakari.

In this case, I think Wakamatsu will become the next Takasago, he has more experience as an oyakata and has a longer history with the current stable master. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

I liked watching Asanowaka when he was active.

Me too, and he was a favourite of my late father, calling him "speed runner". But there's no denying he was a goofball, more famous for his pre-bout antics than his actual sumo abilities, which boiled down to "avoid getting caught". Only six(!) of his 547 career wins by yorikiri!

• Like 1

Wakamatsu has the "Oyakata feel", something I can't explain, just that feel. ex- Asasekiryuu? Less. I'm all in on Asanowaka.

asamoti.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

How about amalgamating with Nishikido, Asashio's one-time junior at Takasago?

Swami

Maybe the choice of the next shisho is causing Ichinoya to end his tenure as heya manager end of the year, when he turns 60

On 09/08/2020 at 15:22, Akinomaki said:

Ex-Ichinoya,Takasago-beya manager till the end of this year (when he reaches kanreki), did a lecture today with JACSHA composer Nomura at the Sumidagawa Sumi-yume art project symposium on Tanabata - https://sumiyume.jp/event/tanabata2020/, part of events to celebrate the birth of Hokusai 260 years ago

Ichinoya talks about the first Takasago Uragoro (Takamiyama), who created the present Takasago-beya and reorganized the sumo organization close to the present form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_YnRkz9cP4&t=4m50s

Ichinoya will go freelance next year.

Ichinoya told that in the question time, answering about his sumo career https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_YnRkz9cP4&t=62m

• Like 1

On 27/08/2020 at 11:19, Swami said:

How about amalgamating with Nishikido, Asashio's one-time junior at Takasago?

Would not bet on him.

See, what you call "Takasago" today is actually "Wakamatsu" while rather the entity you are calling "Nishikido" is the continuation of "Takasago".

When the former Takasago[6] (Fujinishiki) retired in 2002, Nishikido (Mitoizumi) would have already been a clear choice. Being the most senior rikishi after Konishiki's departure and also acting oyakata during Fujinishiki's illness - and then doing a good job - he would have been the natural choice. Instead the ichimon picked Wakamatsu[11] (Asashio) to become the new Takasago and merge the two heya. The rationale for that was flimsy, and some even say it was only a matter of money, lots of money. The new giga-heya was then located in Asashio's building while Mitoizumi branched out some months later and moved into the old Fujinishiki facilities.

With all the scandals surrounding Asashio during the last decade, it would be a nice but late retribution if the ichimon decided on Mitoizumi now, but I really cannot imagine it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, Takasago beya is effectively Wakamatsu beya under a different name so I would expect ex-Asanowaka, as the current Takasago's guy, to take over. 

Edited by ryafuji

Unfortunately I am not really a fan of Nishikido right now with the whole debacle over Homarenishiki, so I would rather that Asanowaka be the one to take over the heya.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/09/2020 at 12:11, WAKATAKE said:

Unfortunately I am not really a fan of Nishikido right now with the whole debacle over Homarenishiki, so I would rather that Asanowaka be the one to take over the heya.

One wouldn't say his oversight of Gokushindo's development has been stellar either. Not that most stables are bereft of drama but I don't know he in particular is who you'd want inheriting a Yokozuna candidate.

Nevermind that those of us with a particular interest in the success of rikishi with western roots will have been sad to see the Ryuga intai.

Chiganoura Beya since its founding has occupied the building that used to be Takasago Beya.

Nishikido Beya (if I remember correctly) started out in a newly constructed building called ‘Mitoizumi’ - with the floors Above the heya being apartments.